PDA

View Full Version : If New Orleans gets a direct hit from a cat 5 hurricane

Slick Pinkham
08-28-2005, 10:30 AM
This could be a disaster far worse than 9-11 in terms of loss of life.

Let's pray that those levees hold, the storm tracks a little west, and weakens some. If you've ever visited there, you've seen the poorer people who will NOT be able to get out.

wickedstick
08-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I have a ton of friends left down there and I'm worried sick about them. They have the mentality of "oh I'll just weather the storm out". I'm glad that I'm not down there now.

SoupIsGood
08-28-2005, 11:44 AM
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-ir4-loop.html

Zesty
08-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Damn, I had no idea until I saw this thread and did some reading that this was even happening.

Gyron
08-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey Guys, Im in the path of the storm right now in Gulf Shores Alabama. We are on the eastern edge, but will still probably see winds of 120 mph.

We just finished boarding up the windows and doors.

We were visiting my parents house for my brothers wedding. Its pretty much screwed all those plans up. We help the wedding, but the reception is gonna have to happen another time. Probably a couple months from now. After the storm comes through, there will be a lot of clean-up.

If New orleans takes the direct it, it will be devastating to that city. It is a big bowl. It will take weeks or months to drain.

Well, Gotta get back to work taking everything in from the yards. We will begin seeing some of the winds and rain this evening. We're gonna have a big hurricane party at the house instaed of the reception. Gotta do something with all that food and beer!

SoupIsGood
08-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Gulf shores? I've been there. Great place, great times.

Jermaniac
08-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Man all these people better get in their cars and drive the **** out of that city. Man am I glad I live in Cali. I hope all those people can some how save them selfs.

Unclebuck
08-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Just get out. From what I know there is going to be so much property damage that you just have to save yourself.

The Superdome is open to those who don't have a car or the $$ to get out of N.O.

SoupIsGood
08-28-2005, 03:00 PM
From the NOAA website:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshs.shtml (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshs.shtml)

<!--Originally Posted by
--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont style="BORDER-RIGHT: #717171 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #717171 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #717171 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #717171 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eaeae7">Quote : Category Five Hurricane:
Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required. Only 3 Category Five Hurricanes have made landfall in the United States since records began: The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, Hurricane Camille (1969), and Hurricane Andrew in August, 1992. The 1935 Labor Day Hurricane struck the Florida Keys with a minimum pressure of 892 mb--the lowest pressure ever observed in the United States. Hurricane Camille struck the Mississippi Gulf Coast causing a 25-foot storm surge, which inundated Pass Christian. Hurricane Andrew of 1992 made landfall over southern Miami-Dade County, Florida causing 26.5 billion dollars in losses--the costliest hurricane on record. In addition, Hurricane Gilbert of 1988 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclone on record with a minimum pressure of 888 mb. </FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lord Helmet
08-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I have a friend not too far from New Orleans.......

Hopefully, it won't be too bad.

Frank Slade
08-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Yep I have been watching Fox News all day, as I am a news Junkie.
This could be one of the worst if not the worst Hurrican to hit in History for the U.S with current winds of 175 sustained winds..currently.

Gyron
08-28-2005, 03:46 PM
They have just qualified Karina as the 4th strongest Atlantic Hurricane in History.....And she's still growing....

Its gonna get scary down here.....I'll Keep posting every once in a while as long as we have power. It will probably be morning before we start getting it bad here.

Jermaniac
08-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Just get out. From what I know there is going to be so much property damage that you just have to save yourself.

The Superdome is open to those who don't have a car or the $$ to get out of N.O.The Hurricane wouldnt blow the Superdome away?

Unclebuck
08-28-2005, 03:54 PM
I've just been watching Fox news and I guess the French Quarter somewhat filled with people.

Are they all nuts. They have interviewed some of them and they are like oh it won't be so bad.

I'm the first one to cry media hype, but I don't think that is the case here.

There will be many deaths

Sollozzo
08-28-2005, 04:15 PM
I've just been watching Fox news and I guess the French Quarter somewhat filled with people.

Are they all nuts. They have interviewed some of them and they are like oh it won't be so bad.

I'm the first one to cry media hype, but I don't think that is the case here.

There will be many deaths

Agreed.

The media loves to hype, but this isn't the case. Look at the radar. That storm is huge.

The experts that these channels interview aren't going to "hype" anything. They're telling the truth, and that's that this storm will be devastating.

The people in New Orleans who don't take this seriously are jepordizing their lives.

SoupIsGood
08-28-2005, 04:46 PM
They are saying a minimum pressure of 906-7 for this one...

SycamoreKen
08-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Agreed.

The media loves to hype, but this isn't the case. Look at the radar. That storm is huge.

The experts that these channels interview aren't going to "hype" anything. They're telling the truth, and that's that this storm will be devastating.

The people in New Orleans who don't take this seriously are jepordizing their lives.

But those will be the first people complaining when it is over, if they survive. I hope they get out if they can. The city and state should try to bus out as many of the poor as possible. I know there will be people here in San Antonio that have evacuated.

Suaveness
08-28-2005, 06:48 PM
I remember some forecasters saying last year that if NO gets hit was a major hurricane, it could completely ruin and destroy the city. It already has the problem of being below sea level, and a cat 5 would be devastating.

Unclebuck
08-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Well it looks like it is going to hit N.O. head on. The city may not be the same for decades or ever.

Do we have any posters from the N.O. area.

Hope Bender got out OK. No jokes please. Although I think he's been in Houston actually

Frank Slade
08-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Well it looks like it is going to hit N.O. head on. The city may not be the same for decades or ever.

Do we have any posters from the N.O. area.

Hope Bender got out OK. No jokes please. Although I think he's been in Houston actually

Yeah hopefully everybody has gotten out and headed the warnings

Zesty
08-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Gyron, get the hell outta there, man. Take care of yourself.

Pacers#1Fan
08-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Hey Guys, Im in the path of the storm right now in Gulf Shores Alabama. We are on the eastern edge, but will still probably see winds of 120 mph.

We just finished boarding up the windows and doors.

We were visiting my parents house for my brothers wedding. Its pretty much screwed all those plans up. We help the wedding, but the reception is gonna have to happen another time. Probably a couple months from now. After the storm comes through, there will be a lot of clean-up.

If New orleans takes the direct it, it will be devastating to that city. It is a big bowl. It will take weeks or months to drain.

Well, Gotta get back to work taking everything in from the yards. We will begin seeing some of the winds and rain this evening. We're gonna have a big hurricane party at the house instaed of the reception. Gotta do something with all that food and beer!Good luck. Stay safe.

Pacers#1Fan
08-28-2005, 09:27 PM
My dad and my brother were supposed to go down to Louisiana today for a court hearing for custody of my brother's little boy but my brother's x-wife was evacuated to Texas.

Slick Pinkham
08-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Thankfully people seem to be taking this as seriously as they should, for the most part. Perhaps loss of life hopefully will not be as much as I fearedthough it is possible that 1 million will be homeless and much of New Orleans may not be dry until next Spring.

SoupIsGood
08-28-2005, 10:46 PM
This is the National Weather Service warning for NO 4:13pm CDT:

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.
PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD
FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE
BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME
WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A
FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY
VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW
CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE
KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WATCH IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR
HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE
POSSIBLE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 TO 36 HOURS.

LAZ038-040-050-056>070-MSZ080>082-290300-
ASSUMPTION-HANCOCK-HARRISON-JACKSON-LIVINGSTON-LOWER JEFFERSON-
LOWER LAFOURCHE-LOWER PLAQUEMINES-LOWER ST. BERNARD-LOWER TERREBONNE-
ORLEANS-ST. CHARLES-ST. JAMES-ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST-ST. TAMMANY-
TANGIPAHOA-UPPER JEFFERSON-UPPER LAFOURCHE-UPPER PLAQUEMINES-
UPPER ST. BERNARD-UPPER TERREBONNE-
413 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/iwszone?Sites=:laz062 (http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/iwszone?Sites=:laz062)

Gyron
08-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey Guys, Thanks for the concern. Right now, they are tellling us we should expect 110 mph sustained winds and 150 mph gusts. New Orleans may see 160 mph sustained winds, and gusts up to 200 mph.

Right now, its mostly thunderstorms and a 20-30 mph winds. Should be an interesting night.

And as for getting out of here, well for the last 48 hours, as Btown can testify to, is a huge traffic jam. No interest in a normal 9 hours trip extending into 20 hours. And there are no hotels available due to them selling out from all the people running from the storm, and many of the gas stations down here are out of gas. So if you get very far, you may get stuck due to lack of gas.......

We are about 10 miles off the shore inland, so we should be ok, I hope.

I'll keep updating every once in a while, at least until we lose power.

Thanks again for the concern. In the mean time, we're having a hurricane party with about 10 people that are riding the storm out with us in the house. Lots of Beer, food and liquor!!!!!!:buddies: :buddies:

Jeff Foster
08-29-2005, 12:37 AM
They say on Yahoo that New Orleans is about to be Atlantis. That doesn't sound too good. Hope it's not too bad.

Suaveness
08-29-2005, 01:35 AM
Gyron and whomever lives down there, I really hope you come out of this unharmed. My thoughts will be with you guys

pacercoltfan
08-29-2005, 01:40 AM
Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne both have family in New Orleans. I certainly hope that everyone is going to be ok. I hope the SuperDome holds up.:(

Why are people refusing to leave?

Bball
08-29-2005, 02:27 AM
Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne both have family in New Orleans. I certainly hope that everyone is going to be ok. I hope the SuperDome holds up.:(

Why are people refusing to leave?

Because the media has cried wolf a little too much and a little too soon with some of their previous 'hell storm' forecasts and people slowly start tuning them out.

This does appear to be the real deal.

-Bball

Harmonica
08-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Well, hopefully Bender gets out of there okay. I mean, I'd hate for anything to happen to him that might nullify his contract, thus allowing us to clear $7 mil in salary. Nope, wouldn't want that to happen.

bread
08-29-2005, 08:14 AM
I was in the path of Katrina when it crossed S. Florida. Where I am, in Homestead, we were only supposed to get 5-15 inches of rain over a 3 day period and some high winds when a feeder band came through. Well, the storm turned and the eye passed about 10 miles from my house. We ended up getting 20 inches of rain OVERNIGHT and non-stop winds in the 40-70 mph range for about 5-6 hours straight. I was one of the fortunate ones because my neighborhood was probably the only one that never lost power and did not get flooded. All around us there are still places under water and have no power. Our boil water notice was just lifted yesterday. We were also fortunate that we lost only one tree and it did no structural damage because it was only about 20 ft tall. Some people were killed or lost there homes and cars by trees falling on them.

This is to illustrate just how bad this storm is. It was a Cat 1 when it hit here. Now it's a Cat 5. You can multiply by 50 the amount of damage there compared to here. It will be a life-changing, and possibly geography-changing event. I sympathize with the people in that area. I have a good friend stationed in Biloxi that was not allowed to evacuate with his 3 kids because he is considered "mission essential". They are staying in a shelter on the Base but his wife was on duty in S. Carolina and was scheduled to come home today but can't. She will be lucky to get to them by next week and even when she gets there she probably won't know where she is going because all of the landmarks and streets signs will be gone.

It has been 13 years and 5 days since Andrew hit here and this town is JUST NOW starting to show signs of growth. I feel bad for the people up there. Worse yet, I feel helpless because there is nothing I, or anyone else but God, can do to stop what's happening there today.

Unclebuck
08-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Well at least it is passing just to the east of N.O., which is better than just to the west. So I am guessing the "worst case scenerio" won't happen. But N.O. will be bad, but not quite as bad as they could have been

Cactus Jax
08-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Well the further east it goes, it got slightly worse for Gyron. I really hope he's ok.

travmil
08-29-2005, 09:21 AM
It's breaking on CNN right now that the roof of the Superdome is leaking. There are thousands of people inside.

Unclebuck
08-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Just heard on NBC, that panels of the roof are coming off and they can see daylight though the holes in the roof, and people are sitting in the dome with umbrella up

bread
08-29-2005, 09:50 AM
My buddy just called me from his secure location and said that most of the pumps in NO have shut off. Bad news. Even on the West side of this storm there will be considerable flooding there. He also said that the eye had shifted and is now headed towards Biloxi where they are already getting 130 mph gusts.

travmil
08-29-2005, 10:04 AM
On CNN they have a former mayor of New Orleans in the studio. He said that the Superdome was built for the ages, and the architects boasted that it was stronger then the Roman Colosseum.

Unclebuck
08-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Well the structure might be strong, but the roof isn't.

Just heard on NBC
Now the roof has over 60 holes in and it is like hundreds of hoses pouring water down. Many of the people in there are moving to the outer concourses

Mr. Pink
08-29-2005, 10:10 AM
This is crazy! I hope everyone can make through this safetly.

Fox News has some interesting coverage.

Zesty
08-29-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm glad we pretty much only have to worry about the occasional tornado around here.

travmil
08-29-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm glad we pretty much only have to worry about the occasional tornado around here.

Speaking of which, what's left of the storm is expected to pass over Indiana and Ohio Tuesday night. Hurricane remnants are well known for their ability to spawn tornadoes.

BayouPacer
08-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Well, as a long time, non-posting member, who lives in New Orleans, I thought I would give you an update from what I know.

I am currently in Memphis and New Orleans is currently undergoing the most damage it has ever faced. From people I know that stayed, there is apparently 10 feet of water in Chalmette, the place my parents live, and probably more by the lake, were I live.

My girlfriend's parents stayed and are near flooding in their house with two trees and a power line leaning on their roof, all the while with two young children. Please, whether you pray or not, keep them in your hearts for the time being. This is a devastating event for all of New Orleans, and America in general.

I am scared. Whose knows what exists after this storm? I am hearing reports of power remaining out till at least the end of September.

I am in a hotel and have internet here and there. When I hear anything else I will let you all know. Thanks for the thoughts. Please, keep them coming.

PS. I just got a call from another person with two reports. In New Orleans east there is a family in their attic with water abot to breach with no Axe to break through the roof. Terrible. Also my roommates brother's girlfriend are on the second floor of their house with water about 5 feet full on the first floor. The drainage canal broke near the ninth ward and about 8 feet of water has flooded all surrounding areas.

Unclebuck
08-29-2005, 12:35 PM
I'll continue to pray but I also continue to ask why people did not get out when they had a chance the last two days. Will never understand that.

I'm not trying to be cruel BayouPacer, and I realize there are circumstances that prohibited many from leaving. But the storm was not as bad as it could have been, just think if it passed 40 miles further west.

BayouPacer
08-29-2005, 12:39 PM
No one is more mad than us for loved one deciding not to leave. But what idiocy is done, is done. Now we just must pray that everything stays well. But there are still a TON of people who had no way to get out and are suffering for it.

Frank Slade
08-29-2005, 02:32 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050829/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_14

Some interesting updated info

pacercoltfan
08-29-2005, 06:30 PM
It's been downgraded now to a tropical storm I believe.

Bball
08-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Well, I wonder how many countries will come to our aid to help with the cleanup and other monetary costs such as rebuilding?

They are probably already organizing telethons...

-Bball

obnoxiousmodesty
08-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Yeah, it was heartbreaking to simply hear CNN's Jeanne Meserve (sp?) describe the things she had witnessed today. I cannot imagine the devastation.

Hicks
08-30-2005, 02:18 PM
I've gotten watery eyed over the black gentleman in the yellow shirt talking about his wife, and his house splitting in two. That one got to me. Any one else seen that?

efx
08-30-2005, 02:49 PM
I saw that guy this morning on CNN. Effectively ruined my mood for the day. This is just so damn sad. And the worst thing is that things aren't going to get any better.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Look at the photos on Yahoo.com. Just absolutely astonishing all of this.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2005, 03:22 PM
I had to laugh at the guy who was going to the store to loot some beer.

Unclebuck
08-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Looters really **** me off, that is about as low as you can go right there. Subhuman. That is so disrespectful to everyone else.

I know this next comment might be insensitive or maybe cruel. But maybe next time these people stranded on roof tops will leave the area when the state and county officials ask them to leave before the storm hits. But no, everyone was talking so tough Saturday and Sunday.

This is what I posted Sunday "Just get out. From what I know there is going to be so much property damage that you just have to save yourself"

Weren't they watching the news over the weekend.

Stryder
08-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Looters really **** me off, that is about as low as you can go right there. Subhuman. That is so disrespectful to everyone else.

I know this next comment might be insensitive or maybe cruel. But maybe next time these people stranded on roof tops will leave the area when the state and county officials ask them to leave before the storm hits. But no, everyone was talking so tough Saturday and Sunday.

This is what I posted Sunday "Just get out. From what I know there is going to be so much property damage that you just have to save yourself"

Weren't they watching the news over the weekend.

I concur. If you have a way to get out, then get out.

And, yes, looters make me really mad....

HULK SMASH!

Believe_in_blue
08-30-2005, 04:18 PM
I concur. If you have a way to get out, then get out.

And, yes, looters make me really mad....

HULK SMASH!

Whats a looter? :blush:

Unclebuck
08-30-2005, 04:27 PM

Someone who steals things at times like these.

Here is the dictionary definition

-Valuables pillaged in time of war; spoils.
-Stolen goods.
-Goods illicitly obtained, as by bribery.
-Things of value, such as gifts, received on one occasion.
-Slang. Money.

pacercoltfan
08-30-2005, 05:51 PM
I've gotten watery eyed over the black gentleman in the yellow shirt talking about his wife, and his house splitting in two. That one got to me. Any one else seen that?

I did and it sure did send chills up my spine. Makes me feel helpless you know. I wanna give money, or canned goods, something. My place of employment usually takes up donations like that.:cry: :cry:

Anybody else feel helpless too?

pacercoltfan
08-30-2005, 05:54 PM
I was even getting teary eyed when they were talking about dogs getting wrapped up in power lines and they were getting electricuted.:cry:

And YES LOOTERS REALLY TICK ME OFF!:mad: :soundoff:

Kstat
08-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Why anybody would make a home in the storm drain that is New Orleans is beyond me. This kind of tragic flood was virtually guarenteed eventually.... if your whole city is BELOW sea level to begin with, where is all the water supposed to go?

Sucks for those people. Kinda reminds me of the Tsunami damage in Indonesia....

I wonder how long it's going to take to drain all that water?

Gyron
08-30-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey Guys. Thanks for the concern.

I am ok and my family made it out largely unscathed. There are a lot who didn't. Its bad, REAL bad down there. My wife and I left Alabama this morning while we still could today. There is no gas anywhere down there. We luckily had enough gas to get us to montgomery where we found a station with some gas.

I'll post more tomorrow. Thanks again for the concern.

I urge everyone that can afford it to donate something to the charities.

I'll tell you a story tomorrow when I get a chance about a family I met.

efx
08-30-2005, 10:18 PM

Someone who the local police force will hopefully dispose of.

Evan_The_Dude
08-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I think the looting is pretty low, but then again you have to look at it from their point of view. Forget the people looting for material items (like that Footaction store). Think about the people with families starving. No phone to call, no stores to buy food from, no restaurants, Red Cross can't get in to help, no water, no way to get out of the city, and it's 95 degree's out side. Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures. Though I agree they should have listened to what everybody and their mother was telling them and left the city. You have to think though, most don't have access to radio's so they don't know where to go for help, they don't know what to do. To them it's probably loot (the ones going for food that is) or die. What would you do if you were stuck in their situation (if you didn't leave that is)?

Pacers#1Fan
08-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Did you guys see the guy on the news talking about how he was on his roof with his wife, kids, and grandkids. Then his roof caved in and he was holding on to his wife and she said "you can't hold on to me, take care of the kids and grandkinds" after that she got pulled away by the water. Even the reporter started crying. Sad, sad stuff.

Evan_The_Dude
08-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Yeah that's been mentioned...

Anybody see the police officers looting in Walmart? Tell you guys anything? Those people are desperate.

Pacers#1Fan
08-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Yeah that's been mentioned...

Anybody see the police officers looting in Walmart? Tell you guys anything? Those people are desperate.I am not saying that it is okay to loot by any means. IMO it is very wrong. You guys have to remeber that these people have lost everything. They have nothing and no money. All I am saying is I am not going to judge someone in that position because I have never been there.

Unclebuck
08-30-2005, 11:26 PM
I heard two reports about the "police officers looting" One was yes they were looting. But the other was that they were getting medical supplies to help people. So I don't know

The fact of the matter is that everything in these stores are ruined anyway, but that gives people no right to steal it.

I had to laugh when I saw some kid trying to get what had to be a 25-30 inch TV out of one of the stores. What a stupid idiot. What in the hell is a TV going to do down there. No electricity and it will be to hard to lug around and will get water damaged.

Stupid, stupid idiotic people. Aren't you supposed to get out of town.

Plus one second the police have to spend on the looters is time away from saving people.

Kstat
08-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Yeah all I saw was people lugging out TVs and stereos...

Evan_The_Dude
08-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Those cops were for sure looting. When they saw the camera they quickly (and very suspiciously) went off and pretended to be working making sure their faces weren't on camera. I saw more people with grocery bags filled with food than anything however. In the same situation I'd be right there with them trying to get food to feed myself and my family. Sure it's wrong, but keep in mind that there's no communication whatsoever. Nobody know's where to go for help, hell most people don't even know the city of New Orleans is under a mandatory evacuation. The ENTIRE city. To hell with the idiots trying to take material items.

bread
08-31-2005, 08:21 AM
To me there is a difference between a looter and someone trying to survive. The looters are the a$$holes that steal things like TVs, stereos, or the real lowlifes that steal as much beer and liquor as they can carry. The people trying to survive take water and non-perishable food which is understandable given the situation. Still wrong, but understandable.

Then you hear stories like these and it makes you want to go "Walking Tall" on these FU(#$!!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-scanecrime31aug31,0,3583030.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Crooks posing as FPL workers after storm victimize Hollywood residents

By Shannon OBoye,
Andrew Ryan and Brian Haas Staff Writers
Posted August 31 2005

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=text vAlign=top>

Hollywood -- The man with the yellow vest and clipboard said he was there to help the day Hurricane Katrina knocked out power.

He needed to get in, the man told a 73-year-old widow, to check her electricity.

<!-- Ad Space: html.ng/tag=std&site=sunsentinel&color=none&edition=newspaper&content=news&channel=local&adtype=cube&adsize=300x250 --><SCRIPT src="http://adserver.trb.com/javascript/advCFC.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>advCFC('Browarded',1,(1000*60*60*24*1));</SCRIPT><!-- Sniffer Code for Flash version=60 --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--var swf_click = "http://adserver.trb.com/event.ng/Type=click&FlightID=487878&AdID=177493&Custom=&TargetID=55879&Segments=246,582,685,686,812,1093,1480,1857,2168,2 776,2817,4709,5041,52641,53208,53327,53785,53804,5 4102&Targets=1147,12355,933,56057,55879,2811&Values=31,43,51,60,72,83,84,90,100,110,150,287,289 ,301,310,328,392,583,591,593,833,903,998,1016,1051 ,1065,1066,1089,1093,1105,1136,1171,1212,1260,1309 ,1606,1617,1648,1653,1654,1681,1737,1816,1838,1887 ,1888,1890,1917,1940,1957,1978,1985,1986,2091,2161 ,2281,2283,2297,2377,2384,2548,2625,2804,2806,2899 ,2932,2938,2948,2971,3005&RawValues=USERAGENTID%2CMozilla/4.0%2520(compatible%253B%2520MSIE%25206.0%253B%252 0Windows%2520NT%25205.1%253B%2520SV1)%2CTID%2C20jc 21d118hsc3&Redirect=http://www.browardeducator.com.";var dcswf_click = escape(swf_click);var ShockMode = 0;var plugin = (navigator.mimeTypes && navigator.mimeTypes["application/x-shockwave-flash"]) ? navigator.mimeTypes["application/x-shockwave-flash"].enabledPlugin : 0;if (plugin && parseInt(plugin.description.substring(plugin.descr iption.indexOf(".")-1)) >= 6) {ShockMode = 1;}else if (navigator.userAgent && navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE")>=0 && (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows 95")>=0 || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows 98")>=0 || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows NT")>=0)) {document.write('<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBScript\> \n');document.write('on error resume next \n');document.write('ShockMode = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6")))\n');document.write('<\/SCRIPT\> \n');}if ( ShockMode ) {document.write('<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"');document.write(' codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0"');document.write(' ID=flashad WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=250>');document.write('

'); document.write('

');document.write(' <EMBED SRC="http://adserver.trb.com/localads/southflorida/browardeducator2005/browed_com_300x250.swf?clickTag='+dcswf_click+'" QUALITY=autohigh '); document.write(' NAME=flashad swLiveConnect=TRUE WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=250');document.write(' TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">');document.write('</EMBED>');document.write('</OBJECT>');} else if (!(navigator.appName && navigator.appName.indexOf("Netscape")>=0 && navigator.appVersion.indexOf("2.")>=0)){document.write('http://adserver.trb.com/ads/Network/spacer.gif (http://http://adserver.trb.com/ads/Network/spacer.gif)');}//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next ShockMode = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6")))</SCRIPT><OBJECT class=inlineimg id=flashad title=biggrin codeBase=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=250 alt="" width=300 data=data:application/x-oleobject;base64,IGkzJfkDzxGP0ACqAGhvEzxwPiZuYnNwO zwvcD4= border=0 classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
<EMBED SRC="http://adserver.trb.com/localads/southflorida/browardeducator2005/browed_com_300x250.swf?clickTag=http%3A//adserver.trb.com/event.ng/Type%3Dclick%26FlightID%3D487878%26AdID%3D177493%2 6Custom%3D%26TargetID%3D55879%26Segments%3D246%2C5 82%2C685%2C686%2C812%2C1093%2C1480%2C1857%2C2168%2 C2776%2C2817%2C4709%2C5041%2C52641%2C53208%2C53327 %2C53785%2C53804%2C54102%26Targets%3D1147%2C12355% 2C933%2C56057%2C55879%2C2811%26Values%3D31%2C43%2C 51%2C60%2C72%2C83%2C84%2C90%2C100%2C110%2C150%2C28 7%2C289%2C301%2C310%2C328%2C392%2C583%2C591%2C593% 2C833%2C903%2C998%2C1016%2C1051%2C1065%2C1066%2C10 89%2C1093%2C1105%2C1136%2C1171%2C1212%2C1260%2C130 9%2C1606%2C1617%2C1648%2C1653%2C1654%2C1681%2C1737 %2C1816%2C1838%2C1887%2C1888%2C1890%2C1917%2C1940% 2C1957%2C1978%2C1985%2C1986%2C2091%2C2161%2C2281%2 C2283%2C2297%2C2377%2C2384%2C2548%2C2625%2C2804%2C 2806%2C2899%2C2932%2C2938%2C2948%2C2971%2C3005%26R awValues%3DUSERAGENTID%252CMozilla/4.0%252520%28compatible%25253B%252520MSIE%2525206. 0%25253B%252520Windows%252520NT%2525205.1%25253B%2 52520SV1%29%252CTID%252C20jc21d118hsc3%26Redirect% 3Dhttp%3A//www.browardeducator.com." QUALITY=autohigh NAME=flashad swLiveConnect=TRUE WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=250 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED></OBJECT><NOEMBED>http://adserver.trb.com/ads/Network/spacer.gif (http://http://adserver.trb.com/ads/Network/spacer.gif)</NOEMBED><NOSCRIPT>http://adserver.trb.com/ads/Network/spacer.gif (http://http://adserver.trb.com/ads/Network/spacer.gif)</NOSCRIPT><!-- HTML ad style -->http://adserver.trb.com/event.ng/Type=count&ClientType=1&AdID=177493&FlightID=487878&TargetID=55879&Segments=246,582,685,686,812,1093,1480,1857,2168,2 776,2817,4709,5041,52641,53208,53327,53785,53804,5 4102&Targets=1147,12355,933,56057,55879,2811&Values=31,43,51,60,72,83,84,90,100,110,150,287,289 ,301,310,328,392,583,591,593,833,903,998,1016,1051 ,1065,1066,1089,1093,1105,1136,1171,1212,1260,1309 ,1606,1617,1648,1653,1654,1681,1737,1816,1838,1887 ,1888,1890,1917,1940,1957,1978,1985,1986,2091,2161 ,2281,2283,2297,2377,2384,2548,2625,2804,2806,2899 ,2932,2938,2948,2971,3005&RawValues=USERAGENTID%2CMozilla/4.0%2520(compatible%253B%2520MSIE%25206.0%253B%252 0Windows%2520NT%25205.1%253B%2520SV1)%2CTID%2C20jc 21d118hsc3&random=byeytmn,bbrlhmfdbwKjR <!-- /Ad Space: html.ng/tag=std&site=sunsentinel&color=none&edition=newspaper&content=news&channel=local&adtype=cube&adsize=300x250 -->
Once inside, the "worker" sent the woman from room to room, turning lights on and off. While she was distracted, the man's female partner slipped into the victim's bedroom and stole $18,000 in cash and several thousand dollars of precious jewelry, including her wedding ring.

"The elderly woman was traumatized twice," police spokesman Capt. Tony Rode said. "Once with the impending hurricane coming, and then again by a distraction theft."

While South Florida suffered, some criminals used Katrina as an opportunity to lie, cheat and steal. Looters ravaged a pawnshop while the bogus power workers made their rounds, victimizing at least three elderly people in Hollywood.

The 73-year-old widow had her cash in a lock box in her closet because she was about to make a down payment on a new apartment, according to a police report.

The woman, who did not want to be identified, was too distraught to talk Tuesday. She blamed herself.

Police said the scam artists talked their way into a few other homes last Thursday, though no one lost nearly as much as the widow.

Adam Frent, the widow's neighbor, closed the door in the criminals' faces because he thought they were suspicious.

"They prey on older people in the confusion of a hurricane and the bad weather with lights flickering on and off," Frent said.

It would be extremely rare for a Florida Power & Light Co. worker to show up unannounced and ask to be let into a customer's home, company spokesman Bill Swank said.

"We don't go to a customer's home unless they call us," Swank said.

"All of our employees carry ID badges with a picture. It's very easy to identify an FPL employee," he said. "...It's unfortunate people would take advantage of other people -- particularly elderly people -- in a situation like this."

The looters who broke into the AB Pawn & Gun shop near Hollywood later that night were less subtle than the FPL impostors. They tore the metal door off the pawnshop during the hurricane and cut the alarm, then ransacked the place, making off with $100,000 worth of computers, televisions, stereos, video games, DVDs, lawn equipment, and 28 firearms. The owner discovered the damage when he came in the next morning.

"We now have 28 firearms in the hands of criminals," said Elizabeth Calzadilla-Fiallo, a spokeswoman for the Broward Sheriff's Office. "It was obviously very well planned."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Suaveness
08-31-2005, 08:38 AM
Yeah those people are jerks. It really is unfortunate

Slick Pinkham
08-31-2005, 11:47 PM
God, my first thought in the first post in this thread, 24 hours before this happened, was that thousands of people may die.

Then immediately after, I thought that maybe not, people left and there would be huge damage and not so much death.

Now it looks like thousands of people may in fact already be dead.

indygeezer
09-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Those pix of people slogging thru water? That water is also filling the sewers and water treatmnent plants and everything. It is or soon will be very contaminated water. Now, what are the people to do for water? Boil it? Raw sewage water, water with bodies, gasoline, everything imaginable floating in it and they are to boild it? (YES)....but at the least, they are already contaminating themselves in it just walking thru it. THe health hazards are just going to be hitting. And as people start developing dysentary what to do becasue they need good water to re-hydrate with. The looting will soon be a thing of the past as mere survival becomes the most important focus.

I worry for those who need medications like insulin (no electricity to keep it cool) or those that had home O2 generators (they are likely dead by now).

This could well be the most cataclismic event we will ever witness. (Am I a doomsayer? YEah, I look at things as say what's the worst that can happen...don't ever ask about terroist attacks I have dreamed up).

Lord I hope I'm reading what I see down there wrong.

Pacers#1Fan
09-01-2005, 08:17 AM
If you have ever been down there you know how many snakes and aligators they have. Just think about all those things swimming up and down the streets and into businesses and poeple's homes.

ajbry
09-01-2005, 06:56 PM
I can't believe what I've seen today.

Everyone at the Convention Center were left for dead. The authority [or what's left of it] did a horrible job of directing the people, and when the masses followed directions and remained orderly, they were rewarded with the situation at the Center. People were simply dying all around the Center, and the other refugees had nothing to help them with, and the help never arrived.

This is simply ridiculous. Those unfortunate souls are only NOW getting some food and water, and who knows what amount that actually is.

Young
09-02-2005, 11:46 PM
This is truly a terriable tragedy. It is probably just as bad as 9/11, actually probably worse.

I can't believe what I see on t.v. I almost think that it has happened in another country.

This is already effecting our economy. As we know this caused gas to go up and so I ordered a pizza from Dominos for delivery and now they charge 2 dollars to make a delivery. Now I am waiting on everything else to go up.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all effected by the hurricane down there.

Sollozzo
09-03-2005, 01:17 AM
I dont like the 9/11 comparison.

These are two different things. 9/11 was as bad as we've ever seen it in America terrorism wise. Katrina and her aftermath is as bad as we've ever seen it in America as far as natural disasters.

Harmonica
09-03-2005, 03:08 AM
I dont like the 9/11 comparison.

These are two different things. 9/11 was as bad as we've ever seen it in America terrorism wise. Katrina and her aftermath is as bad as we've ever seen it in America as far as natural disasters.
Adam1987 is the best you could do after all the marvelous suggestions you got for a new screenname? Shame on you!