PDA

View Full Version : A simple question.

Lord Helmet
08-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I probably just don't remember it, but has there ever been a team with as bad a D of the Colts, that made the Super bowl?

I just don't seem to remember it. And, I already have low expectations for this Colts team.

I thought the Rams that won the Super bowl in 1999 or so, they didn't have much of a D, and they just had a sweet offense ran by Kurt Warner.

Because, what I saw this morning is the making of a low average D. Hopefully, it will get better once everyone is back. I can only hope that. And, I'm just being Mr.Negative right now.

If you want me to be positive about our D, the INT by Sanders was nice, even though I missed it live. (I was asleep then was woken, to see the Colts on offense.)

Then, that was a monster hit by Marlin Jackson on one of the Falcons recievers. It was just awesome. He could turn out to be good.

I only hope the Colts can get their act together on D, and at least make it a C+ defense.

cramerica
08-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Alot of our D didn't play and some of our O didn't play either. It was just the first preseason game, so I wouldn't take to much out of it. I mean I could break down why we gave up running yards or why Peyton threw that INT, or why our O-line looked weak or why Matt Schaub looked like John Elway...but I would be wasting my time.

It's a loooooooooooooong season.

Lord Helmet
08-07-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm not worrying about the Peyton INT. That will change.

You have to admit that the D probably won't change. Sadly.

denyfizle
08-07-2005, 04:05 PM
The D is better. Doss, Freeney, Sanders and Marlin are fast and furious when healthy.

Lord Helmet
08-07-2005, 04:12 PM
The D is better. Doss, Freeney, Sanders and Marlin are fast and furious when healthy.
I guess you're right.

But, I don't think we will be seeing Doss for the first 3 games. Hopefully, everyone else will be playing and they will be healthy.

The D has very good potential. But, I want to see that potential turned into something.

The D needs to be intimidating and angry. Last year, no one, not even the worst QB in the NFL was scared of the Colts D, we need to change that.

cramerica
08-07-2005, 04:31 PM
The Falcons readily accepted whatever the Colts offered and took advantage of a defense playing at much less than full strength. Among players missing the game because of injury were the entire starting line -- ends Dwight Freeney and Raheem Brock, tackles Montae Reagor and Josh Williams -- and top cornerbacks Donald Strickland and Nick Harper

Bball
08-07-2005, 08:05 PM
I feel pretty confident saying the Colts' defense will again suck. I base that not on a preseason game but on recent history. That's probably harsh but truthfully, if 'mediocre' would be an improvement, then you'd like to see more done for the defense for the next year. All we hear about is Edge's contract and the menu at Benihana. We need to start hearing about run stopping and a defense capable of making stops. We can't keep pinning ALL our hopes on the offense and putting this kind of pressure on them.

The rest of the NFL, that has a SB as an immediate goal, seems to know that....

And if you are going to try and buck the odds and do it with an overpowering offense then IMHO we have the wrong coach.

BTW... I'm pretty sure the Rams' defense was better than some are remembering it. The offense overshadowed it but I believe they were far better on the other side of the ball than what the Colts have been these past few years.

-Bball

Suaveness
08-07-2005, 09:06 PM
The Rams defense if I remember was top 5.

Too bad our LBs suck

Harmonica
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
I feel pretty confident saying the Colts' defense will again suck. I base that not on a preseason game but on recent history.
Now you're choosing to use history as a basis for your opinion...hmm...

clownskull
08-08-2005, 01:37 AM
i didn't see the game but i would say that the colts d has been the weak link for a long time. if i recall, it has been among the lowest rated d for several years. the last several years i have seen the colts lose games because the offense struggled and the d couldn't get them back on the field because they always gave up enough turf to keep the other team's drive alive.

this team has yet to show me a defense that can really pressure a qb. it seems like just about whoever we play that is decent or better, the qb just sits back in the pocket and waits for an available reciever and then throws it to him and that is that. 4 yards here, 5 yards there and then another one and boom- their drive continues. this happens often with the pats.

i will say it now-- if the colt's d doesn't show significant improvement, there is absolutely no chance of making it to the super bowl. i have seen enough high powered offense in the regular season only to lose to a team with a defense like the pats to expect any change in the results.

Lord Helmet
08-08-2005, 01:49 AM
i didn't see the game but i would say that the colts d has been the weak link for a long time. if i recall, it has been among the lowest rated d for several years. the last several years i have seen the colts lose games because the offense struggled and the d couldn't get them back on the field because they always gave up enough turf to keep the other team's drive alive.

this team has yet to show me a defense that can really pressure a qb. it seems like just about whoever we play that is decent or better, the qb just sits back in the pocket and waits for an available reciever and then throws it to him and that is that. 4 yards here, 5 yards there and then another one and boom- their drive continues. this happens often with the pats.

i will say it now-- if the colt's d doesn't show significant improvement, there is absolutely no chance of making it to the super bowl. i have seen enough high powered offense in the regular season only to lose to a team with a defense like the pats to expect any change in the results.
Well, it's a known fact we aren't Super bowl contenders, sadly.

Unless there is a miracle and the D turns out decent.

cramerica
08-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Well, I guess there's no point in watching any games now that I know there is no chance of us winning the superbowl. This season is ruined and we might as well just forfeit every game.

Colts suck.

:rolleyes:

Suaveness
08-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Of course, the Colts only scored 3 points against NE last time...

cramerica
08-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Of course, the Colts only scored 3 points against NE last time...
Well, we all know this season will turn out EXACTLY like last years.

RWB
08-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Polian believes this is our year and the D is good enough because of their speed. Reggie Wayne will be re-signed at all costs. One of the main hold ups to Edge getting an extended offer was whether or not the Colts get their new stadium.

RWB
08-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Another thing he mentioned was keep an eye on the following teams next season. Bears, Vikings, Broncos, and Jets.

Lord Helmet
08-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Well, I guess there's no point in watching any games now that I know there is no chance of us winning the superbowl. This season is ruined and we might as well just forfeit every game.

Colts suck.

:rolleyes:
I'm sorry I'm so negative.

But, look I've just been let down too many times. All the Colts ever do is break my heart, season after season.

Take the 2003 season. We get beat in the playoffs by the Patriots bad, I was sad, but I said, "Hey, next year looks good", "We'll, change something and beat the Pats".

I got more excited come opening game Indy @ NE. We really had them, but good 'ol Edge who decided it was ok for him not to play in the preseason, fumbles. TWICE. And, I know once was in the inzone, hell the second one may have been also.

Then, comes the rest of the season, we played well. We got smoked by Kansas City, but after that I think we may have lost one or no games the rest of the season.

Here come the playoffs! We kick Denver's ***. Then it's NE time. I was feeling more optimistic than ever. Our offense had a record breaking year and the Pats corners were hurt for the playoff game and the weather was going to be nice.

But, come sunday afternoon there was a light snow, I was like "Ok, that's not too bad, at least it's not like last year" . By game time it is excatly like last year, and the game was too.

We get smoked yet again.

I was heartbroken again.

Then for this off-season, I thought maybe Polian finally figured it out, that we need some defensive vets. But, no we don't get anyone, we simply get our D from the draft. (Which it wasn't that bad of a draft, IMO) Jackson will be good.

Now, here come this season and I'm not going to be heart broken again. That's why I'm not expecting too much. Then if we do really good, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Pacers#1Fan
08-08-2005, 11:09 PM
I think that we can all agree that our D isn't very good but it is starting to get a little better. I thought for sure they would go after Ty Law when they let Marcus go. I guess they fooled me.

cramerica
08-09-2005, 12:36 AM
But, look I've just been let down too many times. All the Colts ever do is break my heart, season after season.

Well, the Colts and Pacers break my heart everytime I think they have it, and then they blow it. But I still keep coming back every year, no matter what, BELIEVING that they can win it all.

And this year is no different. Hell, atleast we aren't 49er or Dolphin fans. We have it pretty good compared to 95% of this league as far as our team goes.

Lord Helmet
08-09-2005, 03:27 AM
Well, the Colts and Pacers break my heart everytime I think they have it, and then they blow it. But I still keep coming back every year, no matter what, BELIEVING that they can win it all.

And this year is no different. Hell, atleast we aren't 49er or Dolphin fans. We have it pretty good compared to 95% of this league as far as our team goes.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am very grateful we have the Colts and Pacers.

I just hate having my heart broke every year, that's all.

grace
08-09-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm not about to get all bent out of shape over one preseason game, especially when it's played a week earlier and on the other side of the world from the rest of the league. I will admit that the second team on both sides of the ball scared the holy crap out of me. :shudder: :puke:

As for getting my hopes up for a trip to the Super Bowl every year I try very hard not to. Ten years ago (or however long ago it was) when we were one catch away from the Super Bowl I figured that was our one and only chance to go. Now I don't know if we can ever get past New England, but the more the talking heads say we don't have a chance the more I think we do.

Believe_in_blue
08-10-2005, 05:05 PM
We have 22 players injured right now. So far only Stokley might miss the season opener and Troy Walters is more than capable of steping up. As long as were healthy we will be fine.

Kstat
08-14-2005, 02:36 PM
I probably just don't remember it, but has there ever been a team with as bad a D of the Colts, that made the Super bowl?

The Broncos of the 80's were pretty damn awful defensively. Easily the worst supebowl defense I've ever seen in each game.

canyoufeelit
08-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Oh yeah, and the Rams teams that made the Superbowl in 1999 and 2001 actually had one of the league's best defenses. It failed them in 2000 and after the loss in 2001, but for those two years it was excellent.

Gamble
08-16-2005, 03:53 PM
The colts D will be alot better this year and heres why?
1. Jefferson at safety. He is a good tackler and hardly every gets burned on the pass,
unlike DOss.
2. Big hit Bob. He is quick and nasty. He is known to go straight up the middle to
put a stop to the run, unlike our line.
3. Agressive corners. Rookies normally are not expected to come in and make a great
impact but Hayden and Jackson are run stoppers and that is what we need when
teams go to the outside.
4. Brackett is the best run stopper we got from our linebacker. He's aggressive and
wants to earn the starter spot and not just be given it.

What to expect. Marlin will get burned on the long ball but he will learn towards
the end of the season, ie. playoffs. This all depends on whether people stay
healthy but look forward to this season D because IT WILL BE BETTER THAN LAST
YEAR.

denyfizle
10-02-2005, 11:38 AM
read this thread and see who believed from the beginning that the COLTS "D" will be good this year and those who said otherwise... just for fun and recognize those who have flip flopped after dissing our D and now all of a sudden preach it like they were born to it... =)

pizza guy
10-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Remember also the addition of Corey Simon. I really, REALLY jumped on our defensive bandwagon when we got him. Before that, I thought we'd be better than last year, but not this good. Simon solidified my beliefs in the defense.

SoupIsGood
10-02-2005, 05:08 PM
I guess blind hope wins out sometimes.

denyfizle
10-02-2005, 08:53 PM
I guess it's not as blind as some could be pessimistic...

Lord Helmet
10-02-2005, 08:59 PM
I guess it's not as blind as some could be pessimistic...
Before the season, I think a lot, including me, were pessimistic about our defense.

Now, as we are playing very well in that department, my pessimism has gone quite down there.

Pacers#1Fan
10-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Anything would have been better that last year.

Bball
10-04-2005, 03:23 AM
Now you're choosing to use history as a basis for your opinion...hmm...

...And you see what it has gotten me....
:tongue:

-Bball

Knucklehead Warrior
10-04-2005, 10:29 AM
While our D looks pretty decent and we're 4-0, it's still early in the season. The pessimist in me also points to our D being 20th in yards allowed. Have we played any tough teams yet?
Nevertheless our D is MUCH improved over last year and will play a significant role in getting us into the SB.