PDA

View Full Version : I'm moving to Florida

Slick Pinkham
08-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Great job offer, after 2 months of looking, following a merger that closed down my last employer.

Big Move. Kids are reluctant, but ya gotta work.

Goodbye Boston area.

Hello West Palm Beach area.

:)

SoupIsGood
08-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Good luck!

Harmonica
08-06-2005, 02:32 AM
Quite a change. From one of the most academic places in the country to one where they can't even read simple voting ballots. As Soup said, good luck!

Anthem
08-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Good for you, man.

How old are your kids?

Slick Pinkham
08-06-2005, 09:41 PM
kids are 11, 9, and 6; girl, girl, boy.

The oldest is still angry but they should all adapt well.

grace
08-07-2005, 11:50 AM
They'll forget about being upset with moving when you tell them they can wear shorts in the winter. It worked with my nieces.

McClintic Sphere
08-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Good luck. Moving isn't easy, but at least you found a good job.

Btown, are you reconnected in your new locale? Update your circumstances.

Jose Slaughter
08-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Good luck Tom

Will you guys make it down there for the start if the new school year?

Slick Pinkham
08-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Good luck Tom

Will you guys make it down there for the start if the new school year?

They start way early down there-- August 10th (Wednesday), so no.

I'll move down in September to start working and live in an apartment temporarily. Depending upon how the timing of buying a home down there and selling a home up here works out, the wife and kids will join me in a few months, after starting out the school year up here.

We've been frantically preparing our house to go on the market in a week. Painting, carpets, tiling, yard fix-ups, de-cluttering, moving some stuff to storage.

A big pain in the butt.

We're going down there to house-hunt this week.

McClintic Sphere
08-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I just talked to him today.

He is now in VA, but as of the last time I talked to him still hasnt found a job.

I am so sick of his slacking. Btown better be on here producing 24/7 until he gets his Wal-Mart greeter position finalized.

ChicagoJ
08-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Must be tough to move the kids during the middle of the school year. Good luck with everything.

I hear Will Galen's available to babysit. :devil:

Slick Pinkham
08-24-2005, 06:20 PM
bought a house... it's official, in 3 weeks I'm a Floridian.

Pacers#1Fan
08-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Congrats

Slick Pinkham
08-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys for the support.

This has been one stressfull summer. Job loss, job interviews, deciding to relocate, getting my house ready to sell, house-hunting down there.

I almost need a vacation from joblessness!

Will Galen
08-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Must be tough to move the kids during the middle of the school year. Good luck with everything.

I hear Will Galen's available to babysit. :devil:

I'm a great babysitter! Baby sat for two nephews one time in an emergency and they told their mother spontaneously when driving home, "Uncle Will is fun!"

pacerwaala
08-28-2005, 01:22 PM
I live in motown and if I get a semi-decent job I would move down to North Florida Tampa area. I just hate the winters. Winters are only for penguins and bears, not for humans. I work in the auto industry and I hate Henry Ford for starting it all in this cold freezing god forsaken place. Michigan however is beautiful in summer and fall.

Pacertom - house prices on South florida have increased by a lot. be careful what you get into. I would probably wait for a correction!

SycamoreKen
08-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Good luck Tom. I'm sure the kids will settle in quickly.

Slick Pinkham
08-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Pacertom - house prices on South florida have increased by a lot. be careful what you get into. I would probably wait for a correction!

With a family of 5, I couldn't really wait in a temporary housing situation.

I did opt for as much land as I could get. I think that big lots (>1 acre) will retain value far better than bigger houses on smaller lots. Mnay houses will always be built, but there will remain a buildable land shortage, at least for non-swampy places with convenient access to the coast and work areas.

It was always in my mind that 1 acre + decent sized house > tiny lot + mansion, both for the way I like to live (privately) and in financial terms.

bread
08-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Congrats Tom and welcome to South Florida!:welcome:

BTW, my wife is one of the few honest mortgage brokers left down here. ;)