PDA

View Full Version : What program do you use to track your finances?

Anthem
08-01-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm interested in seeing what people have to say here. I've been using Quicken2000 since roughly 2000. I recently got a free copy of MS Money 2004 Standard, and it's pretty decent. It's a lot better than Quicken2000, but I kinda suspect that's because it's 4 years newer. I still prefer a lot of the Quicken look and feel. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth shelling out cash to buy a new version of Quicken.

What do you use? What do you like?

Anthem
08-01-2005, 12:10 PM
And yes, this is in the wrong forum.

What's the right one? It's not news and politics. It's not shout box. It's not entertainment.

Isaac
08-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I do it the old paper and pencil way.

Unclebuck
08-01-2005, 12:28 PM
I don't even bother, all my money goes to the Pacers anyway.

ChicagoJ
08-01-2005, 12:34 PM
I use Wife version 1.0.

Next time she lurks on here and sees this, I'm probably in big trouble.

Gyron
08-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Jay aren't you some sort of accountant? And you use Wife version 1.0?

Hicks
08-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Shout Box. If it doesn't fit in any of the others, this is the place it goes.

ChicagoJ
08-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Jay aren't you some sort of accountant? And you use Wife version 1.0?

Yeah, but I'm the CPA that isn't good with details.

fooddaman
08-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Money 2003. I have used Money since 99 and it works really well for me. I need to buy the upgrade:blush:

I take that back, I've used Money since 97:-o

Vicious Tyrant
08-01-2005, 02:25 PM
I used Money 2000 and loved it - but I could NEVER make that motherf******* balance (Sorry to intimate such a strong word, but you can't imagin the hours I spent trying to make that thing balance). I switched to Quicken 2002 earlier this year and I like it OK. I find it a little harder to use, but it balances. It also lets you balance your account off your online bank statement, which is sweet.

I'd love to find the perfect program, but I haven't found it yet.

btw, good topic Anthem and I look forward to hearing about what other people use.

Unclebuck
08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
I've never balanced my checkbook once in my life, maybe that is not very clear, I've never attempted to balance it. And I've never once kept a log of the checks I write, you know that little register thingy they send you with your checks I've never attempted to use it once. I've never used an online service either. I just write checks as needed and whatever balance the bank tells me I have is what I have.

I've never been overdrawn and never had a problem. And I don't plan on changing my approach.

I know friends who spend what seems like hours every month on their "checkbook" and I just shake my head as I enjoy watching NBA basketball.

I'm I crazy?

I don't tell many people I do this because I don't want to hear a sermon about all the bad things that could happen. But I'd be happy to read someone try to convince me

I figure I've saved 200 hours over the last 15 years of my life

Zesty
08-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Right now I just use Excel. About once a week I'll input all of my credits and debits, include notes for each item to give me an idea of what it was, and once a month I reconcile it with my bank statement. I have Quicken and want to use it, but I've been having issues trying to access my bank accounts online. Hoping to rectify that soon.

Isaac
08-01-2005, 04:05 PM
UB, that's actually not a bad idea.

Its kind of what I do, but I do keep a log, and I make sure the statement they send me is correct.

Maybe i could even stop doing that... :yikes:

fooddaman
08-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Right now I just use Excel. About once a week I'll input all of my credits and debits, include notes for each item to give me an idea of what it was, and once a month I reconcile it with my bank statement. I have Quicken and want to use it, but I've been having issues trying to access my bank accounts online. Hoping to rectify that soon.

I actually use Excel as well, primarily to compare the weeks expenses with my income (or lack thereof) and also some budgeting. I mainly use Money to enter in ATM withdrawals, debit card uses and checks written. Then I go out to my Online banking site and download the transactions right to Money.

Vicious Tyrant
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm I crazy?

I don't tell many people I do this because I don't want to hear a sermon about all the bad things that could happen. But I'd be happy to read someone try to convince me

I don't think you're crazy at all if you feel as good about it as you seem to.

I find keeping close track of my Money, even though it does consume time, is so massively stress relieving for me and my family, its totally worth it. It also keeps me motivated to keep sending those payments to the IRA that would otherwise be easy to skip.

I don't make a great deal, working for the county - and my wife left her teaching job to stay home with the two kids. Having a sense of financial control, even though our belts stay pretty tight, is really therapeutic to our marriage and personal lives.

If you're doing OK without it and not overspending, you sound pretty sane to me.

We should start a "living below your means thread".

Vicious Tyrant
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Are finances anything like whatever it is my new landlord keeps demanding I send him or he won't let me live in my house?

I just got a Xmas present idea for Btown. :cool:

Stryder
08-01-2005, 06:47 PM
I just use Excel...

pollardfreek
08-01-2005, 09:42 PM
If I had any finances to keep track of I'd probably use Quicken. Did I happen to mention that minimum wage sucks?

Anthem
08-01-2005, 09:44 PM
I find keeping close track of my Money, even though it does consume time, is so massively stress relieving for me and my family, its totally worth it. It also keeps me motivated to keep sending those payments to the IRA that would otherwise be easy to skip.

:laugh: The IRA, huh? Don't tell Able. :D

Bball
08-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Quickbooks Pro 2003

I've used MS Money for personal and I had intended to get Quicken for personal a while back but just never got around to it. For the personal checking I tend to use UB's method... but I don't write a lot of personal checks so it isn't that hard to keep track. Just have to remember when I am going to write a check that I need to make a deposit of a little bit more. When the statement comes I give it a look to make sure everything is what it should be.

And the checks that automatically make a carbon copy are very nice for people who do like UB and myself.

Business checking is a whole different ball of wax. No cutting corners there.

-Bball

Vicious Tyrant
08-02-2005, 10:09 AM
:laugh: The IRA, huh? Don't tell Able. :D

D'oh!

That would be the "Roth" type IRA, not the "Michael Collins" type.

Vicious Tyrant
08-02-2005, 10:10 AM
but I don't write a lot of personal checks so it isn't that hard to keep track. Just have to remember when I am going to write a check that I need to make a deposit of a little bit more.

-Bball

First, what business are you in? Do you own your own company?

Second, it's not the writing checks that makes things tough, its the debit card that keeps things moving in the acct (which makes it necessary for me to keep track of the money, especially since two of us use the account).

Anthem
08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
D'oh!

That would be the "Roth" type IRA, not the "Michael Collins" type.

Oh, my bad. That makes sense. I thought you meant the IRS. There's a lot of similarities between the groups!

Roy Munson
08-02-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm 48 years old and have NEVER balanced a checkbook in my life. And I never will.

Doug
08-02-2005, 01:01 PM
I use Wife version 1.0.

You stole my answer.

My wife and I are both fairly fiscally conservative. Neither one of use really likes to spend big money unless we have to. That makes things a lot easier in a marriage. We have never ever had a fight over money.

Generally, though, we just work off of a cash basis. If the checking and savings accounts have more in them this month than last month, that's good. If they don't, why not? Obviously, there's some planning involved when we know there's big expenses (car, vacation, whatever) on the horizon. And we know about how much our expenses should be each month, so we note fluctuations there, as well. It might seem a little seat-of-the-pants, but it works well, for us.

I tried doing a budget, and categorizing expenses once, using Quicken. I gave up. Too much work for too little gain.

MarionDeputy
08-04-2005, 11:09 PM
I use Wife version 1.0.

Next time she lurks on here and sees this, I'm probably in big trouble.

I use this too, but am always checking around for the newest versions, seems like there are several different vendors that provide quite a bit of variety too. :zip:

Vicious Tyrant
08-05-2005, 10:06 AM
I use this too, but am always checking around for the newest versions, seems like there are several different vendors that provide quite a bit of variety too. :zip:
:laugh: :eek:

:eyebrow: :pimp:

As for me:
:whip: