PDA

View Full Version : Reggie is showing signs...

naptownmenace
01-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Of rounding into form. Lately he's been more aggressive early in the games and down the stretch, the exact times he needs to put up shots.

In the last 12 games he's averaged 12 points per game from an average of 8 shots per game. In the previous 31 games he was only averaging 9 points and 7 attempts. Although the attempts are still close, he's taking shots more consistently. He had the game against the Nets where he inexplicably took just 3 shots but other than that, he's launched as many as 17 and no less than 5 during this stretch.

He's still not all the way there as far as his shot efficiency goes but he is getting to the free throw line a lot more. IMO, he still settles for too many 3pts when he could pump fake, step through, and drain the long two or drive for the floater. Behind the arch Reggie is a good shooter but within it, he rarely misses. If he could re-incorporate the mid-range shot into his arsenal, he'd be deadly once again. He's done it a little bit during this win streak but I'd like to see more of it.

Anyway, it's good to see Reg regaining his effectiveness for the Pacers. I wonder what exactly has contributed to it? The return of Tinsley to the lineup? Was he just rusty because of the offseason ankle surgery? Did he finally get tired of hearing the whispers about him being finished? It could be a little of all the above but whatever it is, I hope he can keep it up and bring a little bit of the old Reggie back.

ChicagoJ
01-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Of rounding into form. Lately he's been more aggressive early in the games and down the stretch, the exact times he needs to put up shots.

In the last 12 games he's averaged 12 points per game from an average of 8 shots per game. In the previous 31 games he was only averaging 9 points and 7 attempts. Although the attempts are still close, he's taking shots more consistently. He had the game against the Nets where he inexplicably took just 3 shots but other than that, he's launched as many as 17 and no less than 5 during this stretch.

He's still not all the way there as far as his shot efficiency goes but he is getting to the free throw line a lot more. IMO, he still settles for too many 3pts when he could pump fake, step through, and drain the long two or drive for the floater. Behind the arch Reggie is a good shooter but within it, he rarely misses. If he could re-incorporate the mid-range shot into his arsenal, he'd be deadly once again. He's done it a little bit during this win streak but I'd like to see more of it.

Anyway, it's good to see Reg regaining his effectiveness for the Pacers. I wonder what exactly has contributed to it? The return of Tinsley to the lineup? Was he just rusty because of the offseason ankle surgery? Did he finally get tired of hearing the whispers about him being finished? It could be a little of all the above but whatever it is, I hope he can keep it up and bring a little bit of the old Reggie back.

At the beginning of this "hot stretch", he attributed it to some film work and shooting practice with his old buddy and next-door neighbor (Chuck) that helped him correct some mechanical flaws. Since then, his confidence has also been sky-high. I do agree that I hope we see more "floaters" and sixteen footers than three-pointers, just because I've started to really hate the three-point shot over the past two/three seasons.

naptownmenace
01-20-2004, 12:44 PM
At the beginning of this "hot stretch", he attributed it to some film work and shooting practice with his old buddy and next-door neighbor (Chuck) that helped him correct some mechanical flaws. Since then, his confidence has also been sky-high. I do agree that I hope we see more "floaters" and sixteen footers than three-pointers, just because I've started to really hate the three-point shot over the past two/three seasons.

The "Riffleman" is starting to look like a real genius. First he ressurrects his brother's career in Cleveland as an assistant with the Cavs. Next, he leaves there, is brought in to train the Indiana Fever, and sees them make incredible improvement. Now, he's improved Tinsley's shot and even helped Reggie find his groove.

Chuck Person is the greatest! :cool:

If you didn't follow the Pacers back in the late 80's/early 90's when Chuck and Reggie played together, you really missed a great shooting team. They shot and made a lot of 3s but they would absolutely kill you inside the arch.

7-Layer Burrito
01-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Good post, Nap. It has been refreshing watching Reggie lately. I echo your opinion in that I'd like to see him inside the arc more often drilling those long 2's and floaters. I'm not sure how much age has caught up with him, in terms of getting off picks and launching open shots is concerned. Obviously, it doesn't seem near as effortless as in the past. Tinsley's resurrection has no doubt been a boost to Reg as well.

:cool:

ChicagoJ
01-20-2004, 03:17 PM

The "Riffleman" is starting to look like a real genius. First he ressurrects his brother's career in Cleveland as an assistant with the Cavs. Next, he leaves there, is brought in to train the Indiana Fever, and sees them make incredible improvement. Now, he's improved Tinsley's shot and even helped Reggie find his groove.

Chuck Person is the greatest! :cool:

If you didn't follow the Pacers back in the late 80's/early 90's when Chuck and Reggie played together, you really missed a great shooting team. They shot and made a lot of 3s but they would absolutely kill you inside the arch.

As the self-proclaimed "Chuck Person's biggest fan", its worth pointing out the following:

Back in the famous 1991 playoff series vs. the Evil Celtics, NBC did a halftime feature on Chuck. He had equipped his Geist mansion with a studio that had thirteen TVs and high quality VCRs, and a series of satellite dishes (remember this was years before DirecTV/ League Pass) so he could watch and record every game himself (in order to scout out his opposing small forwards.) I remember thinking to myself, "I want a room like that." To appease his now-much-more-famous next-door neighbor/ shooting guard, he also had a beautiful room for his pool table(s).

Off-the-court, he's also been a successful businessman, even during his playing days. I don't know how exactly his career will turn out... But for the guy that coined the phrase "Pacer for life" and was Mr. Clutch when another famous clutch player would disappear in the second half of a ballgame, I hope its with the Pacers.

Naptown, let me add some numbers to your last comment; there were many games where Chuck would finish 9 for 14 from the floor. A fine game, but when you'd break it down you'd realize that he was 7 for 8 on 2pt shots and 2 for 6 on 3pt shots. His inside-the-arc shooting percentage was eye-popping, especially since he wasn't really athletic enough to get a lot of layups/ dunks. Now he'd also have some 2 for 11 games, but of course what everyone complains about is all the 2 rebound games...

ABADays
01-20-2004, 03:26 PM
REEEGGIEEEEE FOR TWO! BOOM! Not the same ring to it but I'll take it.

ROCislandWarrior
01-20-2004, 03:51 PM
REEEGGIEEEEE FOR TWO!

How bout this

REEEGGIEEEEE FOR TWO! AND THE FOUL!!!!!!!!!!!

I like that

ChicagoJ
01-20-2004, 03:54 PM
REEEGGIEEEEE FOR TWO!

How bout this

I like that

Or as Mark Boyle has said so many times over the years,

"COUNT IT!! AND PUT HIM ON THE LINE!"

ABADays
01-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Most excellent :dance:

ROCislandWarrior
01-20-2004, 04:19 PM

Never heard him say that

ohhh wait....thats cuz I live in Milwaukee :D

ChicagoJ
01-20-2004, 04:28 PM

Never heard him say that

ohhh wait....thats cuz I live in Milwaukee :D

Yeah, but I've heard Jon McGlocklin give Reggie some "Boom, Babies" - as a tribute to his good friend Slick - from time-to-time.

Suaveness
01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
REEEGGIEEEEE FOR TWO!

How bout this

I like that

Or as Mark Boyle has said so many times over the years,

Thats the best....only behind Boom Baby

ROCislandWarrior
01-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Yeah, but I've heard Jon McGlocklin give Reggie some "Boom, Babies" - as a tribute to his good friend Slick - from time-to-time.

He also likes to scream...THERE GOES COWBOY

and says "Jim" way to damn much...must say it atleast 20-30 times a broadcast

wait...this isn't a bucks thread.....GO PACERS
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

7-Layer Burrito
01-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Damn. Did Reggie read this thread before the game last night? How many free throws did he shoot?

Defense was a little porous, as usual, last night. Uncle Reg got completely juked out of his shorts by Rip at one point.

But, still, I'll take the game he played last night, any night.

:cool:

naptownmenace
01-21-2004, 09:41 AM
[quote="7-Layer Burrito"]Damn. Did Reggie read this thread before the game last night? quote]

It wouldn't be the first time a Pacers player reacted to something the fans wrote about him.

Hey, did anyone else notice that Reggie took more shots inside the arch than he did from behind it? He even went to the pump-fake, step through move a couple of times. He was only 3-7 on those shots but still it keeps the defense honest and off balance when he's agressive that way. That's the Reggie we all love!

:dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper:

ROCislandWarrior
01-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Damn. Did Reggie read this thread before the game last night?

Reggie Miller is actually Naturally Stoned...