PDA

View Full Version : It's official...signings delayed

indygeezer
07-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Updated: July 20, 2005, 4:58 PM ET
Deals won't become final FridayAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- With the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement still not finalized, the league's free agent signing period was delayed indefinitely Wednesday.
The league sent a memo to its 30 teams saying they will not be able to sign free agents on Friday, which was the original target date established by the league and the players' union for getting the new six-year labor deal into writing.

NBA official Tim Frank said no new target date was set, but a spokesman for the union said he expected the agreement to be finalized and free agents to begin signing by the middle of next week.

"We continue to make progress going through the issues. The goal is to have everything agreed to by July 22, then to draft the documents," union spokesman Dan Wasserman said.

Teams have been negotiating with free agents for nearly three weeks, and many of the most prominent players have already reached tentative agreements on new contracts. Among them are sharpshooters Ray Allen and Michael Redd agreeing to stay in Seattle and Milwaukee, forward Udonis Haslem staying in Miami and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas remaining in Cleveland.

Among players planning to change teams, guard Larry Hughes is moving from Washington to Cleveland, forward Donyell Marshall from the Raptors to the Cavs and center Jerome James from the SuperSonics to the Knicks.

Also, former overall No. 1 draft pick Kwame Brown will be dealt from Washington to the Lakers in a sign-and-trade deal for Caron Butler, free agent forward Stromile Swift will move from Memphis to Houston, forward Bobby Simmons will go from the Clippers to the Bucks, and guard Antonio Daniels plans to move from Seattle to Washington.

Among the best restricted free agents, whose teams have the right to match any offer, is 76ers center Samuel Dalembert. Philadelphia president Billy King has said the team will match any offer Dalembert receives.

Two of the teams with the most available salary cap space, Atlanta and New Orleans, have been unable to lure any prized free agents.

There is a chance that two-time All-Star Michael Finley of Dallas will become a free agent before the end of the summer.

Under one provision of the new collective bargaining agreement, teams will have a one-time chance ending in October to waive a player under contract and be relieved of any luxury tax liability for that player. Waiving Finley could save the Mavericks at least $51 million in luxury tax payments, and the Mavs would be barred from re-signing him until his contract expires after the 2007-08 season.

The Knicks are considering using the so-called "amnesty clause" to rid themselves of injury-plagued guard Allan Houston, who is due to earn about $40 million -- which would be subject to the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax -- over the next two seasons.

Among the remaining unrestricted free agents are Minnesota's Latrell Sprewell, Miami's Keyon Dooling, Atlanta's Tyronn Lue, Cleveland's Jeff McInnis, Boston's Gary Payton and Portland's Damon Stoudamire.

Also, Shaquille O'Neal is expected to opt out of the remainder of his contract with Miami, forsaking a $30.6 million salary for 2005-06, and sign a new long-term deal with the Heat.

Diamond Dave
07-20-2005, 05:55 PM
:giveup:

Los Angeles
07-20-2005, 05:58 PM
L......O........C...........K.........

O..........U............T.............?

*LA runs and hides*

Shade
07-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Wonder how Sonics fans are feeling right now. They've retained Allen, but lost McMillan, James, and Daniels.

Lord Helmet
07-20-2005, 06:23 PM
L......O........C...........K.........

O..........U............T.............?

*LA runs and hides*
Nah....it could'nt be.

Could it? :shudder:

foretaz
07-20-2005, 07:16 PM
no lockout...just formalities....

as i read this...im still enamored with the 'amnesty' provision...

a team cannot re-sign a player for the length of the contract....

so lets say...brian grant gets waived under this rule by los angeles...

and lets say, we sign him....

now i know once a player signs a contract with a new team they cannot be traded...i forget the time frame...maybe 90 days or something...i cant recall anyway...and im not gonna look it up...

but im trying to imagine a reason why we wouldnt be allowed to trade him back to the lakers....whether it be soon....or around the trading deadline...now im not sure of the possible implications....

but i hinted at this before...if u got two teams that are both in luxury tax land...say the knicks and mavs...for instance....and they get together on some sort of a deal to save luxury tax dollars...

im just always intriqued by possible loopholes and the like...

though in this scenario, im not sure why the player does it...

SycamoreKen
07-21-2005, 12:37 AM
no lockout...just formalities....

as i read this...im still enamored with the 'amnesty' provision...

a team cannot re-sign a player for the length of the contract....

so lets say...brian grant gets waived under this rule by los angeles...

and lets say, we sign him....

now i know once a player signs a contract with a new team they cannot be traded...i forget the time frame...maybe 90 days or something...i cant recall anyway...and im not gonna look it up...

but im trying to imagine a reason why we wouldnt be allowed to trade him back to the lakers....whether it be soon....or around the trading deadline...now im not sure of the possible implications....

but i hinted at this before...if u got two teams that are both in luxury tax land...say the knicks and mavs...for instance....and they get together on some sort of a deal to save luxury tax dollars...

im just always intriqued by possible loopholes and the like...

though in this scenario, im not sure why the player does it...

I'm sure the language of the law will insure that something like that will not happen. I think the Joe Smith death penalty nipped the collusion activity in the bud.

foretaz
07-21-2005, 02:32 AM
I'm sure the language of the law will insure that something like that will not happen. I think the Joe Smith death penalty nipped the collusion activity in the bud.

yea...you would think...but....

we sign brian grant....

are we seriously not gonna be allowed to trade him to the lakers, no matter what? it would be a trade, not the lakers re-signing him....

and if thats the case...how long? if we then trade him to the knicks....does that mean the knicks cant trade him to the lakers???...

and as long as we are discussing trading brian....whats his trade value??? is it his old contract number? is it his new one? is it like a reverse byc?..ie..if the guy is traded is trade value is twice is current contract??

hell...who knows....maybe if u sign one of these guys, ur not allowed to trade him....maybe ur only allowed to release him.....who knows.....

all i know is inquiring minds want to know.....and i have an inquiring mind...

Will Galen
07-21-2005, 03:57 AM
yea...you would think...but....

we sign brian grant....

are we seriously not gonna be allowed to trade him to the lakers, no matter what? it would be a trade, not the lakers re-signing him....

and if thats the case...how long? if we then trade him to the knicks....does that mean the knicks cant trade him to the lakers???...

and as long as we are discussing trading brian....whats his trade value??? is it his old contract number? is it his new one? is it like a reverse byc?..ie..if the guy is traded is trade value is twice is current contract??

hell...who knows....maybe if u sign one of these guys, ur not allowed to trade him....maybe ur only allowed to release him.....who knows.....

all i know is inquiring minds want to know.....and i have an inquiring mind...

never happen . . . depends . . . 3 months . . . no . . . no . . . yes . . . no . . . no . . . the phantom . . . no way . . . the phantom . . . you now have answers...

indygeezer
07-21-2005, 07:06 AM
never happen . . . depends . . . 3 months . . . no . . . no . . . yes . . . no . . . no . . . the phantom . . . no way . . . the phantom . . . you now have answers...

I read that if a team releases a player, they cannot re-sign him until the original contract expires. I wonder if that would apply to a trade too???