PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Firefox extensions

Zesty
07-20-2005, 01:59 PM
I know there are a ton of these out there and thought this might be a good way for some people to learn about any that are handy or cool that they were heretofore unware of. I'll get things started.

BBcodeXtra (http://www.extenzilla.it/bbcodextra/index.php?lang=eng&sez=3) - I use this one all the time and find it to be invaluable, and anyone who frequents message boards will almost assuredly agree. In text boxes such as this one, you highlight text that you're typing, right-click on it, and the BBcodeXtra menu lets you apply formatting such as bold, italics, blockquoting, etc in the very common bbCode format. If you're wanting to make a link, just copy the URL and select Make selection URL. It's just insanely handy, and you can also use it to apply HTML and xHTML code. Here's a screenshot of it at work:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8228/bbcodextra7ku.gif

ColorZilla (http://www.iosart.com/firefox/colorzilla/) - Very handy for getting hex color codes from images in your browser.

BugMeNot (http://roachfiend.com/archives/2005/02/07/bugmenot/) - Very hand for bypassing registration on sites that want you to register to view content. Just right-click in the username box on the sign-in page and select the BugMeNot option and it checks the BugMeNot database for valid sign-in info and automatically applies it. Login accounts are all user-submitted, so don't feel like you're hacking into someone's account or something.

Allow Right-Click (http://roachfiend.com/archives/2005/03/03/allow-right-click) - Some sites won't let you access a right-click menu to keep you from copying text or images. This does a good job of bypassing that.

Gmail Notifier (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=173&vid=504) - I don't really use this one anymore since I installed a Gmail checker plugin for Trillian (fantastic program), but I used to use it all the time. Does what you might think -- provide your login info and it will let you know when you have a new email in your Gmail account. For security purposes, you have to re-enter your info after closing Firefox, though I think you can have that info saved.

I'm sure lots of you have some cool ones I've never heard of, so let's hear 'em.

LouisvilleLip
07-20-2005, 02:20 PM
I use the gmail one all the time, its so handy.

sweabs
07-20-2005, 02:58 PM
The only one I use is forecastfox. I love it.

Anthem
07-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Adblock. Can't do without it.

Besides the obvious uses, I use it on people's avatars when I'm sick of looking at them.

travmil
07-23-2005, 02:43 AM
Adblock. Can't do without it.

Besides the obvious uses, I use it on people's avatars when I'm sick of looking at them.

I never thought of that! That's :brilliant

Anthem
07-23-2005, 04:18 PM
What themes do you guys use?

Zesty
07-23-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't use one, just the default.

fooddaman
07-23-2005, 09:32 PM
I didn't use any until this thread:)

Now I use Adblock, thanks to Anthem... Good call on the Avatar block tip

and I just downloaded the Noia theme, so far so good...

Anthem
07-23-2005, 10:01 PM
The two best themes, IMO, are Pheonity and Qute. Noia is a little much for me.

Hoop
07-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Nuke Anything (great for printing only what you want)

AdBlock

Spellbound

Vicious Tyrant
07-27-2005, 11:27 AM
I guess I'm a dork, I couldn't get either Adblock or BBCodeXtra to work.

I do use Cookie Culler, which lets you keep the cookies you want and dump the rest. At least I got that to work.

Anthem
07-27-2005, 11:40 AM
I guess I'm a dork, I couldn't get either Adblock or BBCodeXtra to work.

Are you sure? Right-click on an image and see if you get new options.

Vicious Tyrant
07-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeah, it doesn't work. The "extensions" window shows it loaded, but its crossed out and says it will load next time Firefox loads, or something to that effect. It's been saying that for a couple days now after numerous times being loaded up.

:shrug:

any ideas?

Anthem
07-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Yeah, it doesn't work. The "extensions" window shows it loaded, but its crossed out and says it will load next time Firefox loads, or something to that effect. It's been saying that for a couple days now after numerous times being loaded up.

:shrug:

any ideas?

Not really. Did you try updating it? Maybe uninstall and reinstall?

I really couldn't say.

Vicious Tyrant
07-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Heh. That did it. All hail Anthem. :applaud:

I played around with it this morning. It seems like a lot of times the id/password they provide isn't valid. Is there any way of reporting that? Most times it took me four or five tries before it would go through.

Pingu
07-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Ad Block is great
I also use FoxyTunes to control iTunes from the FF status bar

Vicious Tyrant
07-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Oops. Just realized my ID comment/question was about Bugmenot, not AdBlock.

Vicious Tyrant
08-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Hey Anthem (or anyone else) - I've got AdBlock up, and I'm enjoying it (even if I don't quite understand the regular expressions).

I've got one question - when I click on the AdBlock icon on the bottom right corner (which calls up the blockable images) - is there a way to just hit a button to block the highlighted image? I can't make it do that, so I end up having to go back to the webpage and left click it. It seems like I should be able to do that from the window, but I can't.

Does that make sense?

Vicious Tyrant
08-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Also - Zesty, when I downloaded that BBCode program, it came to me in an *.xpi thingy. My computer didn't know what to do with that. It sounds cool, but can you give me any tips on how to get it set up?

Anthem
08-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Hey Anthem (or anyone else) - I've got AdBlock up, and I'm enjoying it (even if I don't quite understand the regular expressions).

I've got one question - when I click on the AdBlock icon on the bottom right corner (which calls up the blockable images) - is there a way to just hit a button to block the highlighted image? I can't make it do that, so I end up having to go back to the webpage and left click it. It seems like I should be able to do that from the window, but I can't.

Does that make sense?

To be honest, it does make sense but I don't know how to fix it.

I also don't know how to unblock something after I've blocked it.

Vicious Tyrant
08-04-2005, 10:28 AM
I can answer that one for you.

I just go to the Adblock section in my Tools menu. Click on Properties and all your blocked thingys will show up. I can use the Delete key to unblock them.

I am so smart...S-M-R-T!

Zesty
08-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Also - Zesty, when I downloaded that BBCode program, it came to me in an *.xpi thingy. My computer didn't know what to do with that. It sounds cool, but can you give me any tips on how to get it set up?

Just double-click on the file. When Windows asks what it should do to find the program to open it with, click the radio button to select the program from a list. Select Firefox. The .xpi should turn into a Firefox icon. Double-click it again and it should load up the normal extension installer window.

Vicious Tyrant
08-05-2005, 10:24 PM
An update on Wally's computer life (for those who've been jonesing)

I got Bugmenot, AdBlock, and BBCodeXtra all working for me. Thanks to all for the good recommendations, they're fun additions!

McClintic Sphere
08-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Zesty,

If you don't mind, what version of Firefox are you using? I haven't been able to get the cut and paste thing to work with web pages although I've downloaded BB codextra, confirmed it's an installed extension and changed my WYSIWYG settings here. I keep getting a message that states"you need to edit your Mozilla config to use this feature" What am I doing wrong?
:confused:

Zesty
08-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Please explain exactly what you mean by "cut and paste thing." I'm using version 1.0.6, btw.

Stryder
08-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all the nifty links. I just stumbled upon this post.

Yay!

McClintic Sphere
08-10-2005, 09:21 AM
I mean copy a web page in its standard format and pasting it in a thread so that it looks exactly the same or a reasonable facsimile, when its posted

Zesty
08-10-2005, 09:39 AM
You might want to ask Hicks about it, as that would seem to be a forum issue. The BBCodeXtra thing is not required to do the cut and paste stuff with the forum.

RoboDoug
08-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Browsers are for wimps!

Anthem
08-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Browsers are for wimps!

We do know that at some point in the early twenty-first century, all of mankind was united in celebration. We marveled at our own magnificence as we gave birth to AI.

- The Matrix

Doug, if your bot takes over the world and locks us in little containers to use as a power source, I'm gonna find ya and whup ya.

Doug
08-10-2005, 11:17 AM
We do know that at some point in the early twenty-first century, all of mankind was united in celebration. We marveled at our own magnificence as we gave birth to AI.

- The Matrix

Doug, if your bot takes over the world and locks us in little containers to use as a power source, I'm gonna find ya and whup ya.

I could probably write something that would be able to participate in the various Brad Miller / Jon Bender threads...

Alas, I have no free time right now.

I'm still planning on converting RoboDoug to use genetic algorithms to guess with and actually "evolving" him. But I need to get started real soon because I figure he'll need at least a MONTH of non-stop computing to get him evolved to where he needs to be. Maybe if I use a couple of the servers at work...

McClintic Sphere
08-10-2005, 12:10 PM
You might want to ask Hicks about it, as that would seem to be a forum issue. The BBCodeXtra thing is not required to do the cut and paste stuff with the forum.

Well, maybe I'm not stating this correctly, but some, including you, have been able to copy say an article from Pacers.com or Yahoo and have it appear in the thread with basically the same formatting, with pictures, headlines etc. intact as they appeared on the orig.source. That's what I'm trying to do. I don't understand how it could be a forum issue. I've changed my options to WYSIWYG and saved it, and am getting an error that says I have to change my Mozilla config file to do this when I attempt the C and P, so either I have the wrong browser edition, need another extension or am just doing the freaking "cut and paste" of the orig doc into my thread wrong. My editing options window in PD has completely changed so I am assuming I am set up correctly for WYSIWYG.
I just feel I'm being personally teabagged is all.

Zesty
08-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Well, there's no special trick to the cut and paste technique, you don't need any special extensions, and it sounds like you have your profile settings correct. I would try downloading the latest edition of Firefox and installing it and seeing if that fixes the problem. Maybe an uninstall/reinstall after backing up your bookmarks.

Anthem
08-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Doug, I'm quite serious about this. If RoboDoug evolves into the head of a robotic group mind that takes over modern civilization, I'm hunting you down.

Doug
08-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Doug, I'm quite serious about this. If RoboDoug evolves into the head of a robotic group mind that takes over modern civilization, I'm hunting you down.

You probably won't have to. Usually the first thing an AI does when it becomes sentient is kill its creator.

Kegboy
08-11-2005, 02:59 PM
You probably won't have to. Usually the first thing an AI does when it becomes sentient is kill its creator.

Just as long as he doesn't get confused and kill Fred instead. That would be bad. :(

Vicious Tyrant
08-11-2005, 03:22 PM
What about Asimov's first law of robotics? Doesn't anyone read the classics anymore?

Doug
08-11-2005, 03:27 PM
What about Asimov's first law of robotics? Doesn't anyone read the classics anymore?

To an evil, world-conquering robot, that's like the speed limit. More of a guideline than a rule.

Anthem
08-11-2005, 04:20 PM

Cory Doctorow (http://www.craphound.com/stories.php) wrote a great short story about that.

In spring 2004, in the wake of Ray Bradbury pitching a tantrum over Michael Moore appropriating the title of Fahrenheit 451 to make Fahrenheit 9/11, I conceived of a plan to write a series of stories with the same titles as famous sf shorts, which would pick apart the totalitarian assumptions underpinning some of sf's classic narratives. Infinite Matrix magazine published one of these, a story called "I, Robot," which describes the police state that would have to obtain if you were going to have a world where there was only one kind of robot allowed and only one company was allowed to make it.

http://www.infinitematrix.net/stories/shorts/i-robot.html

Pig Nash
03-21-2006, 06:01 PM
:bump:

I use gmail notifier, foxytunes, fasterfox, stumbleupon, adblock.

I can't remember but wasn't there an option where you could change firefox to a different ElementAnimal name?