PDA

View Full Version : Dumars speaks on Brown

Fool
07-20-2005, 01:10 PM
I was going to post this in the Larry Brown thread but that was taken over by ...

Joe Dumars was interviewed today on Detroit sports radio (26 minutes long) and the stream was recorded by a guy on another site (not me).

Below is a link to the audio file if anyone is interested.

PLEASE RIGHT CLICK AND "SAVE AS..."
http://www.bookitup.com/misc/JoeDumarsInterview1270AM_7.20.05.mp3

McClintic Sphere
07-20-2005, 01:14 PM
I.

Below is a link to the audio file if anyone is interested.

http://www.bookitup.com/misc/JoeDumarsInterview1270AM_7.20.05.mp3

Very much so, thank you for the effort, good sir.

Unclebuck
07-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Here is a very fair and balanced article on the whole Pistons, Larry Brown affair

One thing few people mention is that this Pistons team is perfect for Larry Brown in every way

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0507/20/D01-253977.htm

Pistons to Brown: You're fired

It's sad both parties have to move on; now pressure is likely to shift to Saunders.

By Bob Wojnowski / The Detroit News

Bruce Kluckhohn / US PRESSWIRE

Flip Saunders led the Timberwolves to the Western Conference finals in 2004, but it was the only time they got past the first round.

Flipping Brown

Will the Pistons return to the NBA Finals next season without Larry Brown?

Yes
No

Get results and comments

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

It's a shame, really. It's a shame that a coach and a team that engendered so many good sentiments, that played the right way and won in a big way, will part the wrong way, their relationship severed Tuesday when the Pistons officially dismissed Larry Brown.

Brown is gone mainly because he couldn't convince owner Bill Davidson he wanted to stay, or was healthy enough to stay. Did Brown err by listening to other job possibilities and not stating his intentions stronger, or sooner? Yep. Did Davidson and the Pistons' hierarchy err by not finding a way to keep him? I believe so.

It's impossible to decipher who turned against whom first, and it doesn't really matter. All anyone knows for certain is it got needlessly ugly, although Brown departed Tuesday night saying mostly positive things.

"Nobody can ever take away the two years I had there," Brown said. "It was unbelieveable. They gave me a great team to coach. I'm hurt, but you accept it and move on."

The truth is, Brown was great for the Pistons and vice versa. And when it all plays out, this doesn't have to be a disaster for either party. Brown loses a chance to lead the best NBA team he ever coached, but he'll show up somewhere else, likely New York, and draw a nice little salary.

For the Pistons, it's trickier, and much riskier. Brown's reputation - excellent coach, flighty coach -- has been cemented over the years.

The Pistons' reputation for impetuous coaching changes is newly growing, which brings us to the message of the day.

Flip, you'd better not flop.

Flip Saunders is the expected replacement, a decent coach who made it through nine full seasons in Minnesota before being fired. His longevity there shows he's probably a good manager of people, a trait he'll need now.

When the Pistons fired Rick Carlisle after two successful seasons, it didn't make much sense at the time. But they upgraded with Brown, won a title and nearly another and, in a bottom-line business, proved to be correct.

We give Davidson and Joe Dumars credit for that.

We sincerely hope we're sitting here in a year or two giving them more credit for this move, although success won't be nearly as easy to pull off.

Two of the best coaches in the NBA -- Brown and Carlisle -- were removed after two seasons, which means the Pistons have amazingly high standards or amazingly low tolerance. It's a troubling issue, but it's only a crushing issue if Saunders falters.

Let's face it. How the Pistons fare next season will ultimately determine how Brown's departure is viewed.

The standard has been set. If Saunders doesn't take the Pistons back to the Finals, there will be questions. That's not the pressure we're applying. It's the pressure the franchise is applying, and we assume Saunders knows the deal.

As a coach, Saunders is a downgrade from Brown. No question. As a facilitator, he could be an upgrade.

At Minnesota, he was 17-30 in the playoffs and made it out of the first round once. But his unremarkable record, and unremarkable manner, is vaguely reminiscent of Chuck Daly, who proved to be an ideal fit for the veteran Bad Boys.

Can the Pistons win big again under Saunders? Sure they can. But it will be more difficult, as Indiana and Miami return healthier, and as the Pistons learn how much of their all-for-one mentality was nurtured by Brown.

You still have to love the roster, loaded with good players in their primes. But there's no guarantee the Pistons, pieced together expertly by Dumars, can withstand such a major development. Why upset the tender chemistry if it wasn't absolutely necessary?

Ah, the question that might never be answered fully. In the end, as often happens in big business, the Pistons felt forced to look out for their interests, not trusting that Brown wanted to be here.

Brown did the same, looking out for his interests. Much is made of his ill-timed Cleveland flirtation, but the fact is, the Pistons granted the Cavs permission, which sent an ominous message right there. You can bet Brown will coach again, but here's hoping he takes a year off to get well.

By the way, we're not absolving Brown in this affair. It's easy to say you want to return (and after the emotional playoff run, I think he did) when you're fairly certain it won't be allowed. But everyone knows, or should know, what Brown is about. This is what he does, embrace and love a job for a short period, then start wondering whether he's being loved back. The Pistons knew the history -- 10 stops in 33 seasons -- but took an educated gamble.

It paid off with a championship. Now, though you can reasonably wonder if Brown, 64, is searching for a perfect situation that doesn't exist, maybe the Pistons are searching for the perfect coach that doesn't exist.

Dumars would have made this work for another season if everyone had agreed to it. He has a professional team that knows how to handle drama. But he's in a delicate spot, trying to appease an intractable owner, trying to appease a coach, trying to appease players, trying to uphold the Pistons' fine reputation while keeping factions together.

Communication fell apart between Brown, Davidson and others at The Palace. It's too bad. It's also a cautionary tale for Saunders, who is stepping into one of the best jobs in the NBA, and one of the toughest jobs in the NBA.

He will find, I'm guessing, a newly motivated team, hungry to prove its success wasn't all about Brown.

But you wonder if Saunders, a newcomer taking over a team that has won, will be strong enough to demand that Rasheed Wallace, Chauncey Billups and others stick to defensive principles and the team concept.

More than most teams in the league, the superstar-less Pistons are guided by their coach. It's the genius of Dumars' roster that no single player dominates, that a coach can maintain control. But it's a fallacy to assume just anyone can be the coach.

The Pistons had the right coach for this team and won't find a better one. Brown had the right team to coach and won't find a better one.

Both sides might realize it today, or tomorrow, or next season. That's the shame of it, that neither side could sift through the ridiculous innuendo and bruised feelings to find common ground. Or they waited too long even to try.

So now the true test comes, as Brown leaves and Saunders arrives.

If these Pistons really are tight enough and good enough to withstand anything, to be led by anyone, we're about to find out.

You can reach Bob Wojnowski at bob.wojnowski@detnews.com

McClintic Sphere
07-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Great article UB, thanks for posting that.

Bball
07-20-2005, 02:44 PM
trying to uphold the Pistons' fine reputation
:rolleyes:

-Bball

foretaz
07-20-2005, 03:49 PM
i have a few thoughts after listening to that...

one, ive always like joe d...hes very down to earth...it is somewhat entertaining for me to hear him attempt to spin things with his 'keepin it real' attitude....you can almost hear it in his voice when the facts end and the spin begins....

he talks about the uncertainties....im just curious....could he provide any more assurances to larry that the pistons wouldnt look to go a different direction at some point in the season?....there are no guarantees in the game theyre in....and they know it...contracts are just pieces of paper to lay the groundwork for the parting of ways....

i dont really believe joe d and company wanted larry to come back any more than larry himself wanted to come back....it seems very evident to me that neither wanted this situation to continue, and the only real concern on both sides were how they would be perceived....

the pistons were losing a coach that just took them to two nba finals....larry was leaving a team that he just took to two nba finals...they both were interested in trying to look like the good guy...the fact that it gets to that point clearly indicates there are NO good guys involved....

legally the pistons fired him....any time u fire a person with a contract u have issues where that contract is concerned...thats where they buyout is concerned....

the fact larry brown wanted to be fired and did what he could to get fired doesnt change it....it also doesnt make larry brown any more of a good guy, just as larry saying he wanted to continue to coach the pistons doesnt make him out to be the good guy in this either....

is there anyone that doesnt think that larry and isiah arent just sneaky enuff to have orchestrated this whole thing????? Its probably not too much of a stretch to think isiah has felt spurned by the pistons organization for quite some time….this would be one good taste of revenge for zeke….and he found just the right person with just the right weaknesses to be his pawn in the whole thing….mr. larry brown….mr. I love to be courted and loved…and god knows zeke is good at doing that….