PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Plain Dealer:Jasikevicius expected to reach deal

McClintic Sphere
07-20-2005, 09:44 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/11218522547150.xml&coll=2

Point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius is expected to become the latest free agent to agree to a deal with the Cavaliers, according to several league sources.

News of a verbal agreement between the sides could be announced in a few days. Friday is the earliest free agents can sign with teams.

Jasikevicius will join fellow free agents, forward Donyell Marshall, guard Larry Hughes and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas to bolster a Cavs team that has made significant strides during the off-season.

foretaz
07-20-2005, 10:46 AM
excuse me for a second...

sonofa%$Q%&%^godda$%^&#&%@$#%moth$%%^%^W$%

damn

damn

damn

guess deep down, ive knew all along....once Z re-upped with the cavs....appears Saras' camp was waiting to see what all moves the cavs made to see how good they could be.....they should be decent....still think with hughes and lebron on the team he would still have more of a chance to have the ball in his hands here, not to mention a better shot at the title....but we all like taking on that underdog role....and hey....the chance to play with one of ur best friends, all the travel and the like...i understand....thats why i was hoping the cavs would go in a different direction, cause i felt like if given the choice, he would play with his bud....

marko jaric anyone?? doesnt appear the pacers are interested, but i would be....the thought of having a big combo guard whos a great defender and good outside shooter, well..oh well...

diamonddave00
07-20-2005, 10:55 AM
I like Marko Jaric, good combo guard. Has good size 6'7 210. Is 27 , a couple years younger than Saras and has 3 years NBA experience. But unless the Pacers are willing to give him the entire MLE they have can't see him being signed.

Probably if Pacers were intrested only way to get him would be a sign and trade with the Clippers. Then the question becomes just who do you trade for him?

His outside shooting has gotten better each years , as has his assist totals 6.1 apg this season and his defense is pretty good , his size at pg allowa him to fill passing lanes. Real draw back tho is each season he's been injured in 3 seasons has missed 72 games.

Anthem
07-20-2005, 11:07 AM
So.... Jay Williams?

foretaz
07-20-2005, 11:10 AM
I like Marko Jaric, good combo guard. Has good size 6'7 210. Is 27 , a couple years younger than Saras and has 3 years NBA experience. But unless the Pacers are willing to give him the entire MLE they have can't see him being signed.

Probably if Pacers were intrested only way to get him would be a sign and trade with the Clippers. Then the question becomes just who do you trade for him?

His outside shooting has gotten better each years , as has his assist totals 6.1 apg this season and his defense is pretty good , his size at pg allowa him to fill passing lanes. Real draw back tho is each season he's been injured in 3 seasons has missed 72 games.

u know i was just thinking about the exact same thing as i saw a new post in this thread....the sign and trade thing that is...

i think a sign and trade with the clippers would have to involve either aj or freddie or maybe even both.....and i dont think id be opposed to any of them....

foretaz
07-20-2005, 11:14 AM
So.... Jay Williams?

ive said it before....there is no other player id rather have as my 3rd pg on this team this year than jay....

and i really dont think he expects to get anything but a 3pg slot this year....and since some like to argue that tinsley is injury prone, it would make some sense from his standpoint.....hed be just one injury away from getting meaningful minutes on a title contender

diamonddave00
07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Foretaz, we are agreeing on this thread.

I was thinking maybe both Fred and AJ , but my fear is Jaric's health history.

If they'd take AJ or Fred and Pollard ,it would work as far as I'm concerned. No , I'm not saying pay Jaric 8 mil a year ,the Clippers have cap room. I like the idea of late in game defense of 6'8 Jackson and 6'7 Jaric at guards.

The Clippers are planning on Shaun Livingston , as there pg , AJ or Fred would make a great backup for him. I could see LA fans loving Fred's aerial displays.

Marko Jaric , would fill a need we don't have a combo guard with size. Chauncey Billups hurts us on post ups shooting over Tinsley and AJ even Fred. With Jaric being 6'7 210 , its a little more difficult for Billups to post him up for automatic 10 foot jumpers as he does our smaller pg's.

Kstat
07-20-2005, 11:26 AM
except that you haven't seen Jaric play defense before.....:laugh: The guy is very slow-footed defensively.

ChicagoJ
07-20-2005, 11:28 AM
I'd rather have Jaric than Saras, but I thought that was just a pipe dream.

foretaz
07-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Foretaz, we are agreeing on this thread.

I was thinking maybe both Fred and AJ , but my fear is Jaric's health history.

If they'd take AJ or Fred and Pollard ,it would work as far as I'm concerned. No , I'm not saying pay Jaric 8 mil a year ,the Clippers have cap room. I like the idea of late in game defense of 6'8 Jackson and 6'7 Jaric at guards.

The Clippers are planning on Shaun Livingston , as there pg , AJ or Fred would make a great backup for him. I could see LA fans loving Fred's aerial displays.

Marko Jaric , would fill a need we don't have a combo guard with size. Chauncey Billups hurts us on post ups shooting over Tinsley and AJ even Fred. With Jaric being 6'7 210 , its a little more difficult for Billups to post him up for automatic 10 foot jumpers as he does our smaller pg's.

ur very right in that we are agreeing...

ur mirroring my thoughts...to the T....

i can see it now....i can hear the skeptics....based on what im saying....id like tinsley, jaric and jay williams as my pg....

it could be an incredible rotation.....or we could be shopping for a 4th by the allstar break...;)

Shade
07-20-2005, 11:38 AM
So.... Jay Williams?

:nod:

Jose Slaughter
07-20-2005, 11:46 AM
According to this, they might be running out of money.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?

11-year veteran Marshall agrees to four-year contract

The Cavaliers addressed a desperate need on Tuesday.
They agreed to a four-year contract with unrestricted free agent Donyell Marshall, one of the top 3-point shooters in the league.
The 6-foot-9, 230-pound power forward finished 11th in the NBA in 3-point percentage (41.6) last season for Toronto. He made 151 of 363 shots from behind the arc.

The Cavaliers finished 27th in the league in 3-point shooting last season. Marshall's shooting ability will be a welcome addition.
"We've agreed to terms," said Andy Miller, Marshall's agent. "A handful of teams had significant interest in him. We've been having discussions (with the Cavaliers) since the start of free agency."

Chicago and Washington were reportedly two of the other teams that wanted to sign Marshall, the fourth overall pick in the 1994 draft out of Connecticut. The first year of the contract is believed to be worth a little under $5 million.
The 32-year-old, who is capable of playing both forward spots, averaged 11.5 points and 6.6 rebounds last season for the Raptors. He was drafted by Minnesota and later played for Golden State, Utah and Chicago.

Marshall had 24 points and 10 rebounds in the Raptors' 105-98 win over the Cavaliers on March 20 at Air Canada Centre. He was 5 of 10 from the 3-point line.

He would be an ideal sixth man, given his ability to score points in bunches. Marshall, who has averaged 12.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in his 11-year career, could also be the Cavaliers' starting power forward if Drew Gooden is traded.

Marshall becomes the third major free agent to agree to terms with the Cavaliers, joining shooting guard Larry Hughes and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
Free agents can sign contracts at 6 p.m. Friday, when the moratorium is scheduled to be lifted. However, there is a rumor that the league might extend the moratorium to Aug. 1 since the collective bargaining agreement has yet to be ratified.

"It is not fully drafted," one league source said. "There are open issues that need to be addressed."

Meanwhile, the Cavaliers are still in the market for a point guard, and Maccabi Tel Aviv's Sarunas Jasikevicius appears to be their primary target.
If Marshall's contract is worth about $5 million next season, that would leave the Cavaliers between $1 million and $3 million under the cap. Jasikevicius, 29, reportedly wants at least $3.3 million a season.

Jasikevicius' agent, Doug Neustadt, was unavailable for comment on Tuesday.
Clippers point guard Marko Jaric was scheduled to visit Cleveland either Thursday or Friday, agent Bill Duffy said.

But it might not make sense now for the Cavaliers, and it's unlikely they could sign the 6-7, 217-pound Jaric unless they carve out a lot of cap space.
"That kid (Jasikevicius) is a hell of a player," Duffy said. "But Marko is an experienced NBA player. It's more of a certainty. I'm not trying to take away from any other players. (Jasikevicius is) outstanding. But Marko has played three years in the NBA."

Duffy said Jaric has been intrigued by the Cavaliers' moves this summer.
"He's interested, without question," Duffy said. "I think it would be a great fit. They've expressed interest from the beginning. Marko has analyzed their lineup and their free-agent signings. They have a lot of firepower there."
Jaric, who averaged 9.9 points, 6.1 assists and 3.2 rebounds last season, would team with Hughes to give the Cavaliers one of the top defensive backcourts in the league.

Since he's a restricted free agent, the Clippers have the ability to match any offer the Serbia-Montenegro native gets. If he returned to the Clippers, it would be to back up starting point guard Shaun Livingston.

foretaz
07-20-2005, 11:50 AM
i think i put this in another thread somewhere....but the signing of marshall for the dollars that were mentioned appeared to leave them with almost an exact amount left that would equate to 3 years and 10 million....

and we know that number was put out there by saras' agent a while ago...

McClintic Sphere
07-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Seems they are in the process of separating the Cavs from the Cav-nots.

Zesty
07-20-2005, 12:31 PM
That was a horrible joke but I did chuckle out loud.

Anthem
07-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Seems they are in the process of separating the Cavs from the Cav-nots.

:banned:

Lord Helmet
07-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Don't you guys get it? We're not going to get Sarunas or Williams. We are going to stay put, sadly.

Will Galen
07-20-2005, 06:41 PM
u know i was just thinking about the exact same thing as i saw a new post in this thread....the sign and trade thing that is...

i think a sign and trade with the clippers would have to involve either aj or freddie or maybe even both.....and i dont think id be opposed to any of them....

Fred is the only guy we have that can guard the fast guards in the league. Well, Gill too, but he can be posted.

Will Galen
07-20-2005, 06:42 PM
ive said it before....there is no other player id rather have as my 3rd pg on this team this year than jay....

and i really dont think he expects to get anything but a 3pg slot this year....and since some like to argue that tinsley is injury prone, it would make some sense from his standpoint.....hed be just one injury away from getting meaningful minutes on a title contender

I would like Jay as our third guard. He's quick, and we just might get lucky with him.

KING JAMES
07-20-2005, 06:54 PM
at least it's over

foretaz
07-20-2005, 07:03 PM
at least it's over

if indeed its done...congrats...we pacers fans will be keeping a close eye on the cavs for a number of reasons....mike brown, saras, and division rival...

if everything materializes as stated....

WELCOME TO THE PLAYOFFS...

Will Galen
07-20-2005, 07:05 PM
i think i put this in another thread somewhere....but the signing of marshall for the dollars that were mentioned appeared to leave them with almost an exact amount left that would equate to 3 years and 10 million....

and we know that number was put out there by saras' agent a while ago...

The trouble with that is they have to fill out their roster with that amount. I've been wondering how they were going to do that. You can't sign other teams free agents and then resign your own free agents, that's not allowed.

Maybe they plan on signing Sarunas right up to the exact salary cap. (That would explain why he hasn't signed yet, since they don't know what it will be.) Then they would have the mid level and vet minimum to offer to free agents. (if that would be allowed)

No, that's not right either. They would have to cut all their free agents for that to be the case.

I guess we wait and see how their going to work it.

foretaz
07-20-2005, 07:07 PM
The trouble with that is they have to fill out their roster with that amount. I've been wondering how they were going to do that. You can't sign free agents and then resign your own free agents, that's not allowed.

Maybe they plan on signing Sarunas right up to the exact salary cap. That would explain why he hasn't signed yet. Then they would have the mid level and vet minimum to offer to free agents. (if that would be allowed)

No, that's not right either. They would have to cut all their free agents for that to be the case.

I guess we wait and see how their going to work it.

you always can sign players to the vet minimum....

Will Galen
07-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Anyone want to take a stab at relating this to Clevelands situation?

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#17

18. How do exceptions count against the cap? Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents? Do teams ever lose their exceptions?
If a team has Disabled Player, $1 Million, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player Exceptions, and they are below the cap, then these exceptions are added to the team's team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap. This is to prevent a loophole. The concept is the same as the one behind free agent amounts (see question numbers 27 , 28 , 29 , 30 ). The idea is that the order in which exceptions are used should not matter. Free agent amounts keep teams from taking advantage of temporarily being under the cap by signing other teams' free agents using their cap room, and then re-signing their own free agents using a Bird exception. Because of free agent amounts, there's no difference between signing their free agents first and other teams' free agents second, or the other way around, signing other teams' free agents first and their own free agents second. Similarly, a team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, $1 Million, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to the team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing this, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

So it is not true that being under the cap necessarily means a team has room to sign free agents. For example, assume the cap is $42.5 million, and a team has $36 million committed to salaries. They also have a mid-level exception for $4.5 million and a traded player exception for $5 million. Even though their salaries put them $6.5 million under the cap, their exceptions are added to their salaries, putting them at $45.5 million, or $3 million over the cap. So they actually have no cap room to sign free agents, and must instead use an exception.

Teams have the option of renouncing their exceptions in order to claim the cap room. So in the example above, if the team renounced their traded player and mid-level exceptions, then the $9.5 million is taken off their team salary, which then totals $36 million, leaving them with $6.5 million of cap room which can then be used to sign free agent(s).

A team may lose their exceptions (Disabled Player, $1 Million, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player), or never receive them to begin with. This happens when their team salary is so low that when the exceptions are added to the team salary, the sum is still below the salary cap. If the team salary is below this level when the exception arises, then teams don't get the exception. If the team salary ever drops below this level during the year, then any exceptions they still have are lost.

For example, with a $42.5 million salary cap, assume it's the offseason, and a team has $34 million committed to salaries, along with a mid-level exception for $4.5 million, a traded player exception for $3 million, and an unrenounced free agent whose free agent amount is $2 million. Their salaries and exceptions total $43.5 million, or $1 million over the cap. What if their free agent signs with another team? Their salaries drop to $34 million, so their salaries and exceptions now total $41.5 million. This total is below the cap so the team loses their mid-level and traded player exceptions.

There is logic behind this. The whole idea behind an "exception" is that it is an exception to the rule which says a team has to be below the salary cap. In other words, an exception is a mechanism which allows a team to function above the cap. However, if a team salary is ever so low that they're not going to be over the cap even if they use all their exceptions, then the concept of an exception which allows them to function above the cap is moot. Therefore, if a team's team salary ever drops this far, its exceptions go away.
-----

Read the bold I don't believe Cleveland has exceptions.

foretaz
07-20-2005, 07:44 PM
im not sure i understand....what is ur question...im not getting what it is ur getting at

ChicagoJ
07-20-2005, 09:07 PM
The team's salary cap includes a "reserve" against their free agents until they are either renounced, resigned, or sign somewhere else.

And usually that reserve is for more than the maximum salary increase so that teams don't abuse the rules.

KING JAMES
07-20-2005, 11:37 PM
the cavs don't have a mle

for sarunas they are giving him 2 mill this year, and then balance the rest throughout the length of the deal..

foretaz
07-20-2005, 11:41 PM
the cavs don't have a mle

for sarunas they are giving him 2 mill this year, and then balance the rest throughout the length of the deal..
'
if they are paying him 2 million this year and the deal is 3 years....that would mean its only for about 6 and a half million or so total....

thats no where near the 10 million....he couldve got more than that in europe

that being said...i believe they can give him more than 2 million this year based on the monies they appeared to have spent...

KING JAMES
07-20-2005, 11:45 PM
the contract is back loaded.. 2 mill this year.. but it's still 10 mill total.. it just increases by the year..

i'm not too sure how it works ? but that is what they are reporting here..

foretaz
07-20-2005, 11:49 PM
the contract is back loaded.. 2 mill this year.. but it's still 10 mill total.. it just increases by the year..

i'm not too sure how it works ? but that is what they are reporting here..

u cant backload a contract....

if it starts at 2 million....

then he can get raises of 8% a year....max(it was 10% under the old cba)

all they could do is sign him to more years...

5 years would be for around 11 million...

but as i said....i think they can give him more than that to start...

KING JAMES
07-20-2005, 11:53 PM
well then i'm not sure ?

the understanding, or at least what is being reported is- it starts out in the 2+ mill range..

they could be wrong ? perhaps it's 3 mill... but the reports in cleveland are not saying that ..

we shall see!

Bball
07-21-2005, 01:16 AM
well then i'm not sure ?

the understanding, or at least what is being reported is- it starts out in the 2+ mill range..

they could be wrong ? perhaps it's 3 mill... but the reports in cleveland are not saying that ..

we shall see!

Maybe somebody needs to call the Cleveland reporters and tell them they aren't supposed to report the under the table payments that Cleveland had to use to make this work ;)

-Bball

foretaz
07-21-2005, 01:21 AM
based on what theyre paying Z.....Z will probably buy saras a house and an automobile....

Bball
07-21-2005, 01:35 AM
If Saras is only getting 2 mil this season how can he feed his family?

-Bball

foretaz
07-21-2005, 02:02 AM
If Saras is only getting 2 mil this season how can he feed his family?

-Bball

simple....he doesnt have one...;) ;)

hes a bach....