PDA

View Full Version : 'I'm reading way to far into this, but Bender could be traded!

aceace
07-20-2005, 01:24 AM
I think the pacers have a deal on the table and Benders in the package. He plays in game #1 and thats it. No mention of him, nothing about an injury etc. He wasn't even in the arena. He plays in one summer game to show he can play and that he's ready for next year. I swear it just hit me that he's outta here.

scar
07-20-2005, 01:31 AM
I think the pacers have a deal on the table and Benders in the package. He plays in game #1 and thats it. No mention of him, nothing about an injury etc. He wasn't even in the arena. He plays in one summer game to show he can play and that he's ready for next year. I swear it just hit me that he's outta here.

You guys read way to much into things.

No team is going to say, 'Wow, Bender played in a Summer League game! He's healthy, gunna stay healthy, and even though he sucked it up, we're gunna take him off your hands!'

Why don't you rename this thread, 'I'm reading way to far into this, but Bender could be traded!' I clicked here thinking we got rid of that sack of crap and now I'm in a bad mood because we haven't. Thank alot! :mad:

Young
07-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Lol you had me excited for a minuate. I was hoping that there was actually a deal on the table.

I doubt they trade him. He isn't worth much at all. Atleast I doubt he is. A injury prone "glass pogo stick" [my nickname I have given Bender.] who gets paid above the MLE probably isn't a hot item in the NBA trade wire these days.

Kstat
07-20-2005, 01:45 AM
He plays in game #1 and thats it.

.....and this is out of character for Bender because......

Bball
07-20-2005, 01:47 AM
I heard that Flip Saunders is intrigued by Bender's athleticism and potential....

-Bball

Jermaniac
07-20-2005, 01:48 AM
If Bender was healthy I wouldnt even want him traded.

Kstat
07-20-2005, 01:50 AM
I heard that Flip Saunders is intrigued by Bender's athleticism and potential....

-Bball

Good thing we have his european cousin then.....

Will Galen
07-20-2005, 01:52 AM

Bender is on a break.

The Star said this} Bender to rest

Forward Jonathan Bender, who is trying to resurrect his career after several injury-filled seasons, had eight points in 26 minutes in his first competitive game since Feb. 2.

Now Bender is going to let his body rest for about a week.

"I've been going full speed (rehabbing) since the middle of the season," Bender said. "It's time for me to take a break."

Bender has been working with therapist Dan Dyrek in Boston and recently played in a basketball tournament in Houston.

"He has no swelling and no pain. That's the great news," Carlisle said. "He heads into this much-needed break with a lot of momentum. The important thing is that he pick it back up after his break and continue to move forward. By October, he'll be ready for training camp."

Bball
07-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Now Bender is going to let his body rest for about a week.

"I've been going full speed (rehabbing) since the middle of the season," Bender said. "It's time for me to take a break."

As a precaution Bender will be fully wrapped in bubblewrap to protect against injury during his time off.

Bender will be transported via private air charter and the passenger cabin will be filled with styrofoam shipping peanuts.

The team is petitioning the league to allow Bender to play in a specially designed bubblewrap uniform but there's no word on whether the league will consider the request.

-Bball "I'm serious!"

Kstat
07-20-2005, 02:01 AM
I figured they would just save the money and fax him back home.....

scar
07-20-2005, 02:05 AM
As a precaution Bender will be fully wrapped in bubblewrap to protect against injury during his time off.

Bender will be transported via private air charter and the passenger cabin will be filled with styrofoam shipping peanuts.

The team is petitioning the league to allow Bender to play in a specially designed bubblewrap uniform but there's no word on whether the league will consider the request.

-Bball "I'm serious!"

:lol: :lol2:

Kstat
07-20-2005, 02:06 AM
They could also just disassemble him in Minnesota and then reassemble him in Indiana.......

scar
07-20-2005, 02:09 AM
They could also just disassemble him in Minnesota and then reassemble him in Indiana.......

boo!

foretaz
07-20-2005, 02:20 AM

-Bball "I'm serious!"

ummmm....bb u werent supposed to let the cat out of the bag....the new unis arent gonna be shown till august....and the fact that they have this special new feature was supposed to be top secret....

reebok has taken their technology from the pump tennis shoe and incorporated it into a revolutionary nba uniform to be debuted by the indiana pacers this season....

jonathan bender will be wearing a special 3/4 length version that looks much like a wetsuit and is designed specifically with his fragile knees in mind....

look for them in ur local sportings good store on thanksgiving day, just in time for ur christmas shopping...

scar
07-20-2005, 02:31 AM
ummmm....bb u werent supposed to let the cat out of the bag....the new unis arent gonna be shown till august....and the fact that they have this special new feature was supposed to be top secret....

reebok has taken their technology from the pump tennis shoe and incorporated it into a revolutionary nba uniform to be debuted by the indiana pacers this season....

jonathan bender will be wearing a special 3/4 length version that looks much like a wetsuit and is designed specifically with his fragile knees in mind....

look for them in ur local sportings good store on thanksgiving day, just in time for ur christmas shopping...

boo!

Eindar
07-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Ahem.

Ready?

Bender has to pass a physical before he can be traded.

If he was healthy, you wouldn't want to trade him, because you couldn't get fair value. If he's not healthy, he'll never pass a physical, so a trade won't happen. Like it or not, he's ours for the forseeable future. My concern is that he's just lying about having no pain, and we'll be seeing the same garbage in November. I would have been more convinced had he played in a back-to-back instead of just one game. He could have played in one game 6 months ago.

Fool
07-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Fig Newton is my new favorite poster.

scar
07-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Fig Newton is my new favorite poster.

And you're my favorite fool.

pacerbob
07-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Ya'll are being way too cynical on Bender's situation, it's a fricking summer league series, if he had gotten hurt, you'd be saying how stupid it was too risk him playing.

I suggest that Bender will be an important contributor in the Pacers championship season this year. And all you critics will be eating your words.

Tom White
07-20-2005, 10:41 AM
...Bender has been working with therapist Dan Dyrek in Boston and recently played in a basketball tournament in Houston....

I've seen the part about Bender playing in a Houston tournament a couple of times, and it has me wondering a bit.

Was this tournament some sort of NBA sanctioned function?
If not, had he been re-injured in Houston what would have been the repercussions as far as him being covered by insurance the Pacers carry on their players? Also, what would be the repercussions contract-wise, in case of an injury? Was his participation in this tournament OK'd by the Pacers? If so, I guess that would answer my second question.

It just seems odd to me that he could take part in what seems to be a non league sanctioned tourney, but could only play in one summer league game.

Anthem
07-20-2005, 10:49 AM
If he was healthy, you wouldn't want to trade him, because you couldn't get fair value.

What would you consider "fair value?"

Because if we traded him to the Hawks for next year's second-round pick, I'd be thrilled.

foretaz
07-20-2005, 10:53 AM

Because if we traded him to the Hawks for next year's second-round pick, I'd be thrilled.
:shakehead :rolleyes:

RWB
07-20-2005, 11:02 AM
you'd be saying how stupid it was too risk him playing.

First of all welcome to the forum Bob glad you're here.

Secondly (is that a word?), sorry Bob but I can't imagine one person, even Bender supporters who would think that.

PacerNthaDesert
07-20-2005, 03:37 PM

I would also be very content with this move. You figure you would be getting his contract off the books plus getting the 33rd-35th pick in the draft. Sounds like a helluva deal for the Pacers IMO.

scar
07-20-2005, 04:02 PM
I would also be very content with this move. You figure you would be getting his contract off the books plus getting the 33rd-35th pick in the draft. Sounds like a helluva deal for the Pacers IMO.

There's no way in hell that Atlanta would do this deal. They don't want to eat Bender's contract in exchange for a future player that might.... gasp, PLAY!

Eindar
07-20-2005, 04:38 PM

That's the thing. Assuming he's healthy and playing, even if he never "develops", he's still a guaranteed mismatch every night, and he's proven he can shoot from long range or take it into the post. Seems to me he'd be worth a 1st round pick plus a garbage filler, or someone along the lines of Flip Murray, Cuttino Mobley, or Brent Barry. 6th man type guys.

reggie31mate
07-21-2005, 10:31 AM
If he was healthy, you wouldn't want to trade him, because you couldn't get fair value.

Fair value..hmm...I think there's only one chace left...Call Isiah, and offer Bender for one of his books! Maybe we could get rid of Johhny B AND know about how to be a successful businesman, coach or GM..

reggie31mate
07-21-2005, 10:37 AM
That's the thing. Assuming he's healthy and playing, even if he never "develops", he's still a guaranteed mismatch every night, and he's proven he can shoot from long range or take it into the post. Seems to me he'd be worth a 1st round pick plus a garbage filler, or someone along the lines of Flip Murray, Cuttino Mobley, or Brent Barry. 6th man type guys.

See, I thinks thats's the problem..ASSUMING he's healthy..We could only assume he'll be healthy ever again..And in my oppinion Mobley is not a sixth man, if we could get him for Bender, I would start to peel the skin off my body in disbelief right in that second.. No one would be dumb enough to force a trade with JB and Mobley as the centerpieces..not even Isiah! Plus Cuttino makes more money than Bender.

naptownmenace
07-21-2005, 11:02 AM
I think that the best solution would be to trade Bender to New Orleans for a future restricted 1st rounder and call it a day. Bender would get the chance to play in his home state and the Pacers would get some much needed cap relief.

If he blows up and has a good year, so what? The Pacers have proven that they are a contender without him. Even at his best he won't be better than Jackson, Artest, or Jermaine and the jury is still out on whether he could earn more minutes than Freddie, JJ, or Granger either. It's time for the Pacers to cut their losses and close this Bender project down.

Anthem
07-21-2005, 11:04 AM
I think that the best solution would be to trade Bender to New Orleans for a future restricted 1st rounder and call it a day. Bender would get the chance to play in his home state and the Pacers would get some much needed cap relief.

I'd do that, but would they?

Eindar
07-21-2005, 07:22 PM
See, I thinks thats's the problem..ASSUMING he's healthy..We could only assume he'll be healthy ever again..And in my oppinion Mobley is not a sixth man, if we could get him for Bender, I would start to peel the skin off my body in disbelief right in that second.. No one would be dumb enough to force a trade with JB and Mobley as the centerpieces..not even Isiah! Plus Cuttino makes more money than Bender.

I think if you could prove that we have a healthy Bender on the team, you could easily get Mobley for him. Mobley is an undersized 2 at the end of his career. Bender (theoretically) has 10 years of causing headaches to defenses ahead of him. The mitigating factor here is that Mobley has a lot more experience, and isn't injury prone.

Regardless, I'll believe Bender is healthy when I see him play a couple back-to-backs, and even then, I won't be holding my breath expecting him to play the whole season.

Bball
07-21-2005, 07:59 PM
I wonder if Bender was advised to back out of the summer league games due to the new amnesty provision of the CBA? Now the next question would be 'why?' ...Because the agent WANTS him to be our amnesty cut or because he doesn't? I suppose an argument could be made either way as to which would benefit Bender (and thus his agent).

...Worried about the knee in consecutive games or wanting Bender to appear disinterested in playing for the Pacers?

I'm of the mind even a healthy Bender is not much and has little place on the Pacers as the team is currently constructed. So maybe a fresh start is warranted. OTOH, getting waived could mean nobody picks him up at all. Wouldn't that send a message.

-Bball

PacerMan
07-21-2005, 08:17 PM

I'd feel the same about Artest. :)

foretaz
07-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I wonder if Bender was advised to back out of the summer league games due to the new amnesty provision of the CBA? Now the next question would be 'why?' ...Because the agent WANTS him to be our amnesty cut or because he doesn't? I suppose an argument could be made either way as to which would benefit Bender (and thus his agent).

...Worried about the knee in consecutive games or wanting Bender to appear disinterested in playing for the Pacers?

I'm of the mind even a healthy Bender is not much and has little place on the Pacers as the team is currently constructed. So maybe a fresh start is warranted. OTOH, getting waived could mean nobody picks him up at all. Wouldn't that send a message.

-Bball

in all seriousness...forget any prejudice, if possible....u think noone would pick him up, given the fact he was being paid his contract by the pacers???

people will be very relunctant to trade for him because they have to send 7 million in return for him and have to commit 15 million towards him the next 2 years...

however signing him to a minimum contract, given how this league is potential driven, if he does appear to be healthy, there would be teams lined up...and i hope u can understand why....

Bball
07-21-2005, 11:25 PM
in all seriousness...forget any prejudice, if possible....u think noone would pick him up, given the fact he was being paid his contract by the pacers???

people will be very relunctant to trade for him because they have to send 7 million in return for him and have to commit 15 million towards him the next 2 years...

however signing him to a minimum contract, given how this league is potential driven, if he does appear to be healthy, there would be teams lined up...and i hope u can understand why....

I think someone would take him for the reasons you state BUT at this point it wouldn't absolutely shock me to see nobody bite. I don't think there would be a long line willing to take a chance on him anymore and the line might be short. And it isn't out of the realm of possibilities that there would be enough other options out there, and question marks about Bender, that he'd be left on the outside looking in. But I'm not guaranteeing that... I'm just open to the possibility.

-Bball

reggie31mate
07-22-2005, 11:53 AM
I think if you could prove that we have a healthy Bender on the team, you could easily get Mobley for him. Mobley is an undersized 2 at the end of his career. Bender (theoretically) has 10 years of causing headaches to defenses ahead of him. The mitigating factor here is that Mobley has a lot more experience, and isn't injury prone.

Regardless, I'll believe Bender is healthy when I see him play a couple back-to-backs, and even then, I won't be holding my breath expecting him to play the whole season.

Yeah, but we may never find out what is Bender capable of..I mean how long it's been..6 years? He could develop into an All-Star (I doubt it), but he could become another Croshere, a good role player with a hilerious contract. Right now, he's neither of those, he can't even be a role player because he never plays. And when a player is hurt throughout 5 of his first six seasons, it could hurt his reputation as well. Just look at Grant Hill. He is still a good player, but I wouldn't trade for him because of his injury-filled past. Bender is not Hill, but I think right know his value is non-existent..Maybe we could package him, or get some low draft picks for him and that's because of his potential only.. I know that he's been through this "one last shot" cenario, but I think he'll remain with us until his contract runs out, and then we release him. But just can't see him beeing healthy for a whole season...Just imagine how fragile his bodypart are after all of those injuries?
But I support him til the day he leaves the Pacers, I just grew tired of waiting for him.

indygeezer
07-22-2005, 12:38 PM
2004-05 R. Artest 7
2004-05 J. Bender 7

2003-04 R. Artest 73
2003-04 J. Bender 21

2002-03 R. Artest 69
2002-03 J. Bender 46

Interesting......note the JB's # of games played drops off each year. I started out to point out that RA doesn't appear able to make it thru a whole year either and in fact he and JB appeared in exactly the same number of games last year. But I gotta admit that drop-off kinda sticks out at you.