PDA

View Full Version : What has been your greatest GAMES you saw as a Pacers fan?

Doug in CO
07-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Memorial Day Miracle - MSA was never more special

Kegboy
07-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Best game I saw was a loss. Game 4 of the 2000 Finals. Grace barely made it through without passing out.

Bball
07-20-2005, 12:40 AM
The greatest? No.... probably not... But I took a lot of enjoyment from watching the "3rd string" (sayeth Paul Pierce) Pacers beat the Celtics soon after 11/19 last season and glad to be able to see it in person. :woohoo:

That was inspiring.

I had to work on the night of the Orlando game tho I did get to watch it in its entirety and it was rather inspiring itself (it was truly a win in every way except the scoreboard).

-Bball

BigMac
07-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Best Pacers game that comes to mind, the top of the heap, A No. 1, is Game 1 vs. Orlando in the First Round of the Playoffs in 1994? when Reggie passed to Byron Scott and hit a 3-pointer to put the Pacers up for good with very little time left and that was the first time that the Pacers ever won a game #1, and it started what has carried over to today-a winning tradition in Indianapolis. I think that even though Reggie Miller has hit so many big shots in the playoffs, he never would have had the confidence to hit them if it were not for Byron teaching the Pacers, Reggie, and the entire franchise how to win a big game. For that reason, Byron Scott is one of my top 5 Pacers of all-time. And his 3-pointer against Orlando that I mentioned above is my #1 moment and favorite game I have ever seen the Pacers play.

pizza guy
07-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Each and every game against the Pistons next year...>:-)

aceace
07-20-2005, 01:53 AM
There are several games that come to mind: Reggies 25 in the 4th qt against the Knicks, Reggies 8 pts in 8.9 secs, Regs 57 pt game against Charlotte that was a shooting performance. George McGinnis (aka: Big Mac) 58 pts against the Dallas Chapparals Nov/72 I was 8 and thats the day I became a Pacers fan. I've made a point to watch and support ever since. From that day on I was #30 in the driveway practicing that one handed jumper, and yes I had a red/white/blue ball. The goal was set at 5ft and I practiced Darnell Hillman Dunks ... much fun.

Oh yeah back to greatest games... Reggies big shot against MJ and the Bulls. Byron Scotts shot was huge that got us over the hump for winning a playoff series. Rik Smits hit a big one against Shaq and Penny.

Ok #1 Reggies 25 in the 4th it was such a big game against the Knicks on National TV the whole world watching. The look on Spikes face was a mastercard priceless moment. He looked as though Bubba just had his way with him in prison. :)

indytoad
07-20-2005, 02:30 AM
If it's only games that you personally attended my list is pretty short, since I hardly attended any games before the last couple years. The best would be Game 1 against the Pistons last year - nothing compares to being in an arena when Reggie hits a shot like that. Second would probably be Game 5 against Boston two years ago - one of the true "whoever plays less badly wins" games.

IndyToad
Filmed in doublevision

Unclebuck
07-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Two quickly come to mind.

1) 1995 game #4 ECF Magic. 4 lead changes in the last 30 seconds. "Smits Happens" Shaq misses 8 free throws, he was actually 0-8.

2) 1998 game #4 ECF Bulls. Reggie hits game winner after Michael.

The best game, I'll go with the 1995 Magic game. I jumped higher when Rik hit the shot, plus that ended the game. After Reggie's shot MJ almost hit a shot.

efx
07-20-2005, 09:00 AM
My two favorites are games I attended.

In no order they are:

1) Being at the garden seeing Reggie go for 31 pts a couple of years ago against the knicks1. It was actually a close game but the P's one it with the tip in by JO.

2) The final reg. season game for reggie against the Bulls in indy. I had never been to indiana before so it was just all kinds of cool. Again, it was a very good game.

Doug in CO
07-20-2005, 09:03 AM
The best game, I'll go with the 1995 Magic game. I jumped higher when Rik hit the shot, plus that ended the game. After Reggie's shot MJ almost hit a shot.

I asumed this was a question about a game you attended - but I am not sure my answer would change. Mostly because for 15 minutes (30 seconds on the game clock) there were so many swings of emotion. I was down under the basket where Smits hits the shot and the place was bedlum - for like 10 minutes - sustained and utter joy, no one ran for the exits, everyone was just staying there high fiving, hugging, just an amazing day. Not sure anything but a Finals victory could top that for me.

Unclebuck
07-20-2005, 09:45 AM
The two most satisfying wins: The game #3 win over the Magic in the first round in 1994. Pacers first ever NBA playoff series win. I'll never forget that. And game #6 at NY in 2000 when the Pacers finally got to the NBA Finals.

ChicagoJ
07-20-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm always partial to Game #4 in 1991 - that was our first glimpse of "hope", and I really don't think MSA was ever that electric again - for an entire half.

The last couple of minutes of each Memorial Day Miracle (1995 vs. Orlando and 1998 vs. Chicago) were deafening, but in 1991 that went on for most of the second half as we pulled away to victory.

grace
07-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Best game I saw was a loss. Game 4 of the 2000 Finals. Grace barely made it through without passing out.

That must be why I remember very little about it.

sixthman
07-20-2005, 11:52 AM

Oh, yes. Without a doubt that is the best Pacers game ever that I personally saw.

I will never forget Ric Smit's shot at the top of the key, after all seemed lost, after all seemed glorious, after all seemed lost, after all seemed glorious. You get the idea. That game was an emotional roller coaster and the best thing was when it ended WE WON with the most picture perfect shot you can imagine!

Sollozzo
07-20-2005, 01:39 PM
I've never seen a playoff game, I go to a couple regular season games a season.

The best game I saw was one of the first ones I saw. It was in December of 95, when I was 8. Rik Smits went off for a career high of 44 points against the Clipps. That remained his career high for the remainder of his career.

Diamond Dave
07-20-2005, 02:13 PM
I've been very fortunate to be able to see in person most of the great home games in Pacer history.

I'll rank them as such...

1) Reggie over Jordan in 98. There is always something special about beating the Jordan Bulls. Credit that to Jordan's greatness. The fact that it was our 2 guard, who was always considered a bankrupt man's Jordan that finally prevailed was so uplifting for Indiana.

2) Smits Happens. The only time I've ever gone "*****!" "Yes!" "*****!" "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

3) Reggie's "Superman" performance vs. Milwaukee. At that point I believed that Reggie was a game dominating superstar.

Kegboy
07-20-2005, 05:00 PM
That must be why I remember very little about it.

You pretty much didn't see the 4th quarter or OT, because everyone was standing up while you were hunched over.

It's the game where the refs refused to foul Shaq out until OT, then Kobe went MJ on us. Or, what you'll really remember, it's the game where Shaq broke Travis' back.

Unclebuck
07-20-2005, 05:29 PM
What about the Bender Christmas game. Or the first half Bender game against the Kings.

In all seriousness, I enjoyed the 2003 Artest quadripple double easter day game agaisnt the Heat. Unless you were at Conseco, you didn't see it because it was not on TV

Diamond Dave
07-20-2005, 05:45 PM
I quasi remember that. I forget get what his fourth double was. Steals probably?

ChicagoJ
07-20-2005, 05:47 PM
What about the Bender Christmas game. Or the first half Bender game against the Kings.

In all seriousness, I enjoyed the 2003 Artest quadripple double easter day game agaisnt the Heat. Unless you were at Conseco, you didn't see it because it was not on TV

I remember reading Artest the "riot act" from 222 for those two stupid fouls he picked up in the first couple of minutes. And I think I yelled, when Isiah pulled him, that if I were coaching I'd leave you on the bench for a while. But when he checked back into the game he was utterly unstoppable.

Natston
07-20-2005, 05:53 PM

It was a near quadruple double in 2002...

Had one of the most impressive games of his career in the Pacers’ win against the Heat, 3/31, nearly becoming the fifth player in NBA history to register a quadruple-double with 24 points, nine assists, nine rebounds and a career-high tying eight steals...His eight steals were the most by any Pacers’ player in the last 10 seasons and were one short of the franchise record.

Los Angeles
07-20-2005, 06:07 PM
It was a near quadruple double in 2002...

Had one of the most impressive games of his career in the Pacers’ win against the Heat, 3/31, nearly becoming the fifth player in NBA history to register a quadruple-double with 24 points, nine assists, nine rebounds and a career-high tying eight steals...His eight steals were the most by any Pacers’ player in the last 10 seasons and were one short of the franchise record.
So I guess it was a single double?

Some impressive stats, regardless.

Diamond Dave
07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
So I guess it was a single double?

:lol:

SjA3837
07-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Reggies last game

grace
07-21-2005, 10:05 AM
It's the game where the refs refused to foul Shaq out until OT.

That part I do remember.

Or, what you'll really remember, it's the game where Shaq broke Travis' back.

Thanks for reminding me. :mad: :bawl:

OnlyPacersLeft
07-21-2005, 03:37 PM
had to be when I was watching the game 5 vs the nets. I thought for sure we were done. Down 3, only 3-4 seconds left and nets at the line for 2. They brick both JO i think Outlets to ollie who I thought was gonna heave one and the game would be over. But he finds reggie and reggie turns dead on from half court. BOOM BABY! JO and Reggie running down the court screaming. It was flipping awesome. Too bad we lost that game :(....
Or being in town to witness the pacers defeat the heat in round 2 2 years ago. Rafer alston missed a 3 at the end and we walked off with the victory.