PDA

View Full Version : NY Post says Cavs sign Donyell Marshall

Slick Pinkham
07-19-2005, 12:46 PM
A little blurb at the end of the Abdur-Rahim article. (MUST BE REGISTERED)

What a roster makeover for Cleveland.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/50126.htm

Still cap room for Saras?

Slick Pinkham
07-19-2005, 12:47 PM
July 19, 2005 -- The Nets are going to get Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
The only question is how.

"Shareef has decided that New Jersey is the place he wants to play next year," Aaron Goodwin, Abdur-Rahim's agent, said last night.

"I've committed to the Nets, that New Jersey is the place I want to be," Abdur-Rahim said last night. "We're still working toward a six-year deal. But I'm committed to New Jersey."

Multiple league sources claimed the Nets received assurances from Abdur-Rahim, 28, that he was coming to New Jersey.

But it does get tricky. The Nets can land the 6-9, Portland free agent two ways: with the mid-level exception or through a sign-and-trade with the Blazers. The mid-level, for five years, would be worth about $28-30 million. A sign-and-trade would give Abdur-Rahim six years worth about $38 million.

Goodwin has said in the past that his client will only accept a six-year deal, but the Nets are running into a major roadblock with the Blazers. Portland wants the draft rights to 7-1 center Mile Ilic as part of the sign-and-trade, which would also include the Nets' trade exception. The Nets will not part with Ilic, their second-round pick last month. So without a sign-and-trade, the Nets can only get Abdur-Rahim with the mid-level, which would cost him about $8 million. But he already rejected $47 million from Milwaukee.

"We asked for Ilic, the player they selected with the 43rd pick," said Portland GM John Nash, who suggested without Ilic, there would be no deal, even though the Blazers stand to lose Abdur-Rahim with nothing in return.

To entice Portland, league sources maintained, the Nets upped their offer to two second-round picks (from one) along with the trade exception. Nash already said he is not interested in the trade exception due to luxury tax implications.

"They are focused on something we're not prepared to do," said Nets team president Rod Thorn, who declined comment on specific aspects of negotiations. "We'll do what we have to do."

The Nets remain hopeful they and Abdur-Rahim, one of the league's good guys can convince the Blazers to do a sign-and-trade. Beyond the six years (with 10.5-percent annual increases) for Abdur-Rahim, that scenario would give the Nets the mid-level money to spend on additional free agents. Miami guard Keyon Dooling and Charlotte forward Malik Allen rate as the Nets' prime secondary targets, with their own free agent, Cliff Robinson, remaining in the mix.

The Nets could try to lure Dooling with a sign-and-trade, but they would be dealing with Eastern Conference rival Miami. The Nets must use the trade exception by July 29, one year since they acquired it in the Kerry Kittles deal. Free agent signings may start Friday.

Perhaps to force the situation to a conclusion, the Nets yesterday increased their courtship of Memphis free agent power forward Stromile Swift. But after the Nets received assurances from Abdur-Rahim that he wanted to play in New Jersey, Swift signed with Houston. The Nets' third power-forward option, Dontyell Marshall, agreed to terms with Cleveland.

Dontyell???

Slick Pinkham
07-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Sorry, I guess this was mentioned in the Saras thread.

They must have room and it's down to signing Saras or Jaric and then calling it a fruitful postseason. Hopefully they opt for Jaric.

Ultimate Frisbee
07-19-2005, 02:00 PM
wow... Cleveland is pretty damn good now...

Knucklehead Warrior
07-19-2005, 02:06 PM
wow... Cleveland is pretty damn good now...
It will take them awhile to get their "team" legs under them -- new guys, few of whom have played together, chemistry, time to figure out who does what and what your role is on your new team, plus everybody has new coaches and front office. It may take them 20 games or so to sort it all out. I wonder how patient Dano will be or if he'll destroy it before it gets going good.

Harddrive7
07-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Sounds like they have built a team around James. Wow, they get a little confidence early in the season like Miami did last year and this will be a very dangerous team come the playoffs. Title contender? probably not for the next couple of seasons but man, what a start.

So do these moves slide Detroit down another notch 1-4 or does it just put another team in the mix?

Young
07-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Sounds like they have built a team around James. Wow, they get a little confidence early in the season like Miami did last year and this will be a very dangerous team come the playoffs. Title contender? probably not for the next couple of seasons but man, what a start.

So do these moves slide Detroit down another notch 1-4 or does it just put another team in the mix?

I think this just adds another team to the mix.

- Cleveland: So many new players who will play a major role and they still are likely to sign a point guard. Plus all the players must adjust to Mike Brown and his coaching staff and the coaching staff will have to adjust to the players as well.
- Detroit: They aren't bringing back Larry Brown which will probably hurt them depending on who they get as coach. I don't really like Flip in Detroit, he doesn't seem like the type of coach to coach a team like the Pistons, IMO.
- Miami: The point guard position is still a concern but should be figured out soon. They also may sign Kyle Korver which would be a huge addition, KK is probably the best if not one of the best shooters in the NBA. There will still be concerns about Shaq's health.
- Indiana: Hopefull they re-sign James Jones and Dale Davis. Saras is also a strong possiable signing. There still could be a big trade but if the roster stays as is for the most part the success of the team will depend on health, and Ron Artest....sadly. I hate to say that the success of the team depends greatly on one player but Artest can drag the team into hell or he can do his job without doing something stupid and we will probably make the finals.

Kstat
07-19-2005, 03:36 PM
The Cavs just became a 50+ win team, and a legit threat to make the finals.

Marshall adds the ones thing they really lacked offensively, which is outside shooting.

Unless there are some chemistry issues here, the east just became a "big 4".

Kstat
07-19-2005, 03:39 PM

That's odd, I could have sworn we were bringing back the same roster that we won the eastern conference last year with. In what universe, outside of wishful hoping, did we suddenly become the 4th best team in the east?

Oh wait, that's right, we lost larry brown, who %90 of the forum was saying up until he got let go, was saying was just riding the coattails of rasheed wallace.

You can say other teams are a threat, sure, but to say that all these unproven teams are suddenly better than we are is just irresponsible.

Unclebuck
07-19-2005, 03:41 PM
The Cavs just became a 50+ win team, and a legit threat to make the finals.

Marshall adds the ones thing they really lacked offensively, which is outside shooting.

Unless there are some chemistry issues here, the east just became a "big 4".

I think the Nets are better than the Cavs.

Kstat
07-19-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm not convinced the Nets are there defensively, and Vince Carter isn't exactly a playoff performer. He didn't mesh well with jefferson in the playoffs, and Kidd got roasted by Damon Jones, of all people.

I guess they can play small ball and score a lot, but like phoenix, I don't think they can stop anybody. Rahim actually makes them worse defensively.

Los Angeles
07-19-2005, 03:45 PM
UB - I'm really interested to hear more of your thoughts on this. I don't know, but perhaps in a new thread? That would make some good reading.

Any detail you can provide to back up your feelings on this matter would be great.

Thanks!

sweabs
07-19-2005, 03:51 PM
As Kstat mentioned, this is an outstanding pick-up for the Cavs. This makes them a real powerful team in the East, and the entire league for that matter. Donyell brings that outside touch that the Cavs so desperately needed...and he can shoot lights out from 3-pt land. I remember one game last year he hit 12x3's I believe, tying an NBA record. I think it was against dipperdunk's 76ers, and Philly just didn't learn to cover him!

And that's the key! With Lebron and Hughes slashing into the middle drawing all kinds of attention, and Big Z drawing double teams in the middle, Donyell is going to get wide open 3's. Not to mention he can rebound the ball with the best of them because of his long arms, great position, and strength. I think a line-up of Saras, Hughes, James, Marshall, and Big Z is going to be very difficult.

foretaz
07-19-2005, 04:01 PM
why do i think this signing, if its 20-25 mill for 4 years, leaves them with just enuff caproom to sign saras to a 3 year deal for 10 mill????

foretaz
07-19-2005, 04:04 PM
That's odd, I could have sworn we were bringing back the same roster that we won the eastern conference last year with. In what universe, outside of wishful hoping, did we suddenly become the 4th best team in the east?

Oh wait, that's right, we lost larry brown, who %90 of the forum was saying up until he got let go, was saying was just riding the coattails of rasheed wallace.

You can say other teams are a threat, sure, but to say that all these unproven teams are suddenly better than we are is just irresponsible.

spoken like an expert on the subject

Unclebuck
07-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Well, I'm not going to start a new thread, I don't have that much time.

I'm always very leery of expecting much from a totally new team and that is what the Cavs are. Lebron James is a great player and I expect Mike Brown to be a very good coach. I like Hughes, and I like Snow. Good defensive backcourt. Marshall makes a good 6th man. Z does nothing for me, huge liability defensively. Gooden's basketball IQ is a negative number. I just don't see that team being that good

I just see that team winning somewhere in the 44 win area because of Lebron. I see the Nets as winning closer to 48 games. Nets have more proven veterans.

Just because certain teams make a lot of changes in the offseason does not mean they will be much better than they were before. Unless you're getting Shaq and you already have Wade.

Look at the teams last season that made the biggest improvment over te previous season. Heat, Wizards, Suns and Sonics.

I've already discussed the heat. Wizards did add one veteran. Jamison, but the rest of that team was the exact same. The Sonics were pretty much had the same players as the year before. The Suns obviously added Nash to the same team they had before and they were much better.

Los Angeles
07-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Makes sense. Thanks UB!

Kegboy
07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
I think you guys are overreacting a bit. Marshall may open up the post in spurts, but he doesn't solve their major problem, which is post defense. A triumvate of Z, Gooden, and Marshall down low doesn't scare me one bit. They'll be asking too much of their backcourt defensively to try and make up for it.

Cleveland needed to get a bruiser like Haslem.

Kstat
07-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Marshall is a pretty damn good post defender. He just played out of position at SF in Toronto.

Ultimate Frisbee
07-19-2005, 05:08 PM
I see Marshall starting over Gooden very soon...

PG: Snow
SG: Hughes
SF: Lebron
PF: Marshall
C: Illgauskas

Thats pretty formidable even without a new PG... That doesn't mean that they will win this year, but they certainly have more potential to do so than years past...

foretaz
07-19-2005, 05:20 PM
I see Marshall starting over Gooden very soon...

PG: Snow
SG: Hughes
SF: Lebron
PF: Marshall
C: Illgauskas

Thats pretty formidable even without a new PG... That doesn't mean that they will win this year, but they certainly have more potential to do so than years past...

and i definitely think they will have a new point guard...and dont disagree about marshall possibly starting

sweabs
07-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Marshall is a pretty damn good post defender. He just played out of position at SF in Toronto.

What he said. I've always thought he is a good defender at the 4 with his long arms and ability to size up with most of those guys. But, at the 3 he just can't keep up with his opponents, and is usually caught flat-footed.

Cactus Jax
07-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Kstat just doesn't like it because Marshall always does extemely well against Detroit. It's still a good signing though, but against JO he wasn't really all that good.

I think Cleveland is going to add Stoudamire to bring a scoring PG along with Snow.

This move isn't as good as the Stromile Swift to Houston move. That might vault Houston into the top 3 out west.

Gamble
07-19-2005, 06:30 PM
So does that hinder them from signing Sars??
This move for the Cavs will put them at the 4 in the East.

Slick Pinkham
07-20-2005, 12:44 AM
So does that hinder them from signing Sars??

No, but they are apparently looking at Saras, Damon Stoudamire (terrible fit!), and Marko Jaric.

Maybe they will go for Jaric, but Saras might be the cheapest.

Kegboy
07-20-2005, 12:46 AM
No, but they are apparently looking at Saras, Damon Stoudamire (terrible fit!), and Marko Jaric.

Maybe they will go for Jaric, but Saras might be the cheapest.

Seriously, where would Stoudamire be a good fit?

Young
07-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Cleveland needed to get a bruiser like Haslem.

They have Anderson Varejo. I don't know much about him but i've heard some good things about this kid. He is probably atleast another season or two from really contributing though.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anderson_varejao/index.html

He averaged just 4 points and 4 rebounds in just 16 minuates last season, his rookie year. I'm curious to know about his defense though. Anyone know much about this guy?

Kegboy
07-20-2005, 01:14 AM
Varejo's more of an energy/hustle guy.