PDA

View Full Version : Indystar article little bit about artest...

Brian
07-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Heres the link...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050719/SPORTS04/507190410/1088

July 19, 2005

Pacers notebook
Coaches let Artest take a break
He's questionable for today's summer league finale after skipping loss to Bucks.

Related links
Pacers message board
Ask the expert: Pacers reporter Mark Montieth
Links to other web sites will open a new browser. IndyStar.com is not responsible for the content, accuracy or privacy practices of these sites.

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Indiana Pacers gave forward Ron Artest the day off in their 79-72 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks on Monday.

"I just wanted to let my body rest," Artest said.

Artest, playing in competitive games for the first time in nearly eight months, played three straight days for the Pacers' summer league team. He said he wasn't sure if he will play in today's finale against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Artest is averaging a team-high 21.3 points on 47.7 percent shooting.

"We went into (the summer league) deciding he was going to play three or four games, four maximum," Pacers assistant coach Chuck Person said. "We decided this was a good day for him to sit. This was a great day to look at some other guys we brought into camp. Ron's been great throughout this process."

Center David Harrison, coming off knee surgery in April, also had a light day. He played only one half and finished with 16 points in 14 minutes.

"That was something we had by design," Person said. "David just had surgery a couple of months ago and we are trying to be precautious with him. He did what we needed him to do. He got some good minutes against (Andrew) Bogut."

Guard Jimmie Hunter led the Pacers with 17 points. Former Pike High and Notre Dame standout Chris Thomas added 11.

Checked thoroughly

Pacers rookie Danny Granger has followed a similar routine: work out in an empty Target Center, then watch from the bench in street clothes as he tries to get his left knee completely healthy.

There has been talk that Granger's knee is the reason he fell to the Pacers at No. 17. Granger, a projected top-10 pick, injured his knee in January and was supposed to miss at least three weeks, but he returned after three games.

Pacers president Larry Bird said the team had Granger's knee examined several times before drafting him.

"I don't know if that's why he fell, but we had him checked out by all of our doctors," Bird said. ". . . They just said he needs to strengthen it. He didn't give it time to heal when he was playing. He came back way too early."

Granger said he will spend a good part of the offseason in Indianapolis working out and hopes to start playing games in a couple of weeks.

"It's good that I've been here watching the games even though I haven't been able to play," he said. "I can really see how much quicker the NBA game is from college."

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

Harddrive7
07-19-2005, 10:28 AM
"I don't know if that's why he fell, but we had him checked out by all of our doctors," Bird said.. . . They just said he needs to strengthen it. He didn't give it time to heal when he was playing. He came back way too early."

That's scary, so he's done for the season...

Bball
07-19-2005, 11:55 AM
That's scary, so he's done for the season...

....not until they say his knee collided with another player and it is just bruised...

That means "career threatening, season ending injury"

-Bball

skyfire
07-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Doesn't he need to injure it in a summer pickup game to be out for the season?

Lord Helmet
07-19-2005, 07:20 PM
What?! Granger's out for the season?