PDA

View Full Version : Abdur-Rahim to Nets

shags
07-18-2005, 08:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2110920

Probably their first rounder this season, lottery-protected, I would imagine. Which isn't a big deal considering they have the Clippers first rounder unprotected in 2006.

Still doesn't put them on the level of the Big 3 in the East, though. But slot them in as the favorite in the Atlantic.

SycamoreKen
07-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Why does that move not concern me? Rahim doesn't play great d, and they really didn't need more offense.

foretaz
07-18-2005, 08:51 PM
i dunno...any team with jason kidd, vince carter, richard jefferson, and SAR cant be taken that lightly....

i know one thing...id just assume not play them in the first or second round of the playoffs....i know its early....but thats a fair amount of talent, if kidd stays healthy....

SoupIsGood
07-18-2005, 08:53 PM
i dunno...any team with jason kidd, vince carter, richard jefferson, and SAR cant be taken that lightly....

i know one thing...id just assume not play them in the first or second round of the playoffs....i know its early....but thats a fair amount of talent, if kidd stays healthy....

Kristic too...

They will be good, although maybe a bit small, from what I can remember.

How big are Kristic and SAR? Do they rebound or defend?

Isaac
07-18-2005, 08:54 PM
That team is going to win the Atlantic division, but outside of that they don't scare me one bit. As previously mentioned Sar plays no defense, and I think he just ins't a winner. Flat out. Look at how his numbers have decreased in the last 3 years also. I think he's a guy who has fell off of his prime surprisingly earlier then most people. I don't think he improves the Nets that much, they would have won the AD anyways.

foretaz
07-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Kristic too...

They will be good, although maybe a bit small, from what I can remember.

How big are Kristic and SAR? Do they rebound or defend?

SAR isnt the greatest of defenders in my estimation....solid, but nothing special...bit undersized to play guys like jo and rasheed, but then again most are...

kristic looks like he could be decent...he didnt play too bad when he started playing the latter part of the season...

i dunno....i think theyre quickly becoming a factor...

i agree ....they get the number 3 seed by winning their division as long as nothing drastic happens....which means if we could get the number 1 seed we wouldnt have to fact them or miami till the ecf...i like that idea ;)....

yes...i realize some might call that getting ahead of things a bit...

GO!!!!!
07-18-2005, 09:01 PM
His No's have decreased but so has his passion and playing time

I think there a Legit threat and if they can add a Ratliff, Deke Stye Defensive C then there all but set

Kidd, Carter,Jefferson,Reef is one tidy starting 4 with there Rook as well look for them to surprise some people and play a Phx style Ball

Reef has to be one of the most under rated players in this league along with Brand and I can really see that changing, Heck if the Nets sent Carter and Reef to the Clippers for Brand then watch out...

If Reef gets some passion back and finally plays for a Winning team then I don't think any body in the NBA would recognize him, this kidd has won may be 200 games in his carrier and lost 600 odd..

He's a real chance.... And the nets move up the ladder big time...

but Kidd has to stay healthy

purdue101
07-18-2005, 09:14 PM
i think NJ has a chance to be a contender in the east. at the end of the season last year the nets were playing like the 5th or 6th best team in the east. that was without RJ and an unhealthy kidd. if NJ can get RJ, vince, and kidd healthy at the same time then they are already a much better squad than last years playoff team. throw in SAR, the fact that kristic has shown great improvement, and the addition of wright (who will contribute right away) and they have a solid team. they also still have around 5 million to spend on what looks to be dooling and probably a backup PF to upgrade their bench.

kidd/dooling
carter/wright
RJ/wright
SAR/FA pickup
kristic/collins

not a bad rotation at all.

Young
07-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Not a bad signing.

They are going to be a very good team next season. Especially if they can sign someone else. If they can somehow acqiure a center who can defend and board they would be one of the top 4 teams in the East. The problem with that is everyone seems to need a center and there aren't really any avaliable in free agency, and NJ doesn't have much trade bait unless they still have there trade exception but it might be being used in this, I don't really know.

Skaut_Ech
07-18-2005, 10:43 PM
I think that's a great move for the Nets and cause for concern. Just not a lot. Thankfully, thier depth is for crap, so in a series, I think that's a real achille's heel.

I'm not going to diss SAR. Not a winner? I'm not going to fault a guy who started out enthusiastic, then got stuck with organizations that had no sense of vision and had him playing out of position, while constantly tinkering with the line-up. Has the guy ever played for a good coach and/or team? I'd get a little disheartened too. I don't think his D is that big of a concern. He does way too much else on the court, from a great inside game, to strong passing skills and ups. He's a pretty complete player.

And I'm a big Krstic fan. First of all, he's 7'0, which certainly helps, and he's got what a center needs, a strong low post/mid range game. He moves well, as opposed to some lumbering big guy and grabs boards, too. He could work on his D, but I think that will come. I think he's going to be a top center, if they keep playing him there. Not the best, but one of the really, really good ones.

Thow a couple of lunch pail guys in there and I fear them more. Strong move for them and one to take note of, but till that bench looks a tad better......

Kegboy
07-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Boy, the raise cut in the new CBA is really holding these contracts down. Used to be a max deal at the MLE was 6 years, $42 million. Now it's 5 years, $28 million.

As for the Nets, I think I brought it up pretty late on Saturday, why is it none of us are afraid of NJ. The concensus was that their strength at the wings is negated by our defensive presence with Jack and Ron there.

SycamoreKen
07-19-2005, 02:39 AM
I'm still interested in seeing how 3 guys that look to score are going to mesh. If Kidd can't keep Carter, Jefferson, and SAR happy then no one can. I still don't think they play good enough at the defensive end to be a big factor come playoff time. Now that Bowen showed how easy it is to rattle Carter by bodying him up, can he last a whole series with Ron on him?

Will Galen
07-19-2005, 04:41 AM
i agree ....they get the number 3 seed by winning their division as long as nothing drastic happens....which means if we could get the number 1 seed we wouldnt have to fact them or miami till the ecf...i like that idea ;)....

They could finish 2ed and it wouldn't be drastic. Say they have 53 victorys and Miami has 52.

Still it would be the same result if we won the east and then paste Detroit as expected. We would still be meeting them or Miami in the finals.

Shack80
07-19-2005, 09:34 AM
yes...i realize some might call that getting ahead of things a bit...

probably true, but I like the way you think.

Tim
07-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Well let me be the one to say I would not want to meet this team in the playoffs if they are healthy.
Kidd, Vince and RJ alone would run us off the court. SAR Gives them a low post option to go to, and if he can live with knowing Vince and RJ will be taking most of the shots we might be looking at the Phoenix of the East.

A running Jason Kidd with Vince and RJ on each side is a nightmare for us.

Los Angeles
07-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Well let me be the one to say I would not want to meet this team in the playoffs if they are healthy.
Kidd, Vince and RJ alone would run us off the court. SAR Gives them a low post option to go to, and if he can live with knowing Vince and RJ will be taking most of the shots we might be looking at the Phoenix of the East.

A running Jason Kidd with Vince and RJ on each side is a nightmare for us.
Good post Tim, but those are BIG "ifs".

I don't think Kidd has a completely healthy season left in him, though I could be wrong. I also think Ron could take care of Vince 3 out of 4 nights. and RJ? If we play the right way, we can contain him, too.

"Pheonix of the east" is possible, but until it happens, I think it's like calling Indy the "San Antonio of the east."

So far, the grind-it-out style beats the fast style in 7 games. But that era might be fading away.

Man, I hope some of this made sense. :D

Kegboy
07-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Shareef has shown he's not comfortable being the second option of a team, let alone the first. I think he'll be blissfully happy cleaning up for Vince and Jeff.

Don't get me wrong, I think NJ will be very good. I just think we match up with them extremely well.