PDA

View Full Version : What has been your greatest day as a Pacers fan?

Los Angeles
07-18-2005, 08:12 PM
It's a down time, and we're hungry to hear any news we can. If you go through the archives, every topic seems to have been covered: all-time line-ups, greatest teams, greatest game, etc. etc. etc.

Reading the party thread has led me to think about the people behind the screen names. This isn't as much about the Pacers as it is about YOU. So I have to ask: What has been your greatest day as a Pacers fan?

I'll go first:

My greatest day as a Pacers Fan seems on the surface to be boring and nondescript. I don't remember the game, I don't remember who we were playing, and I don't remember who won. I didn't even WATCH the game on TV.

It was spring of 98, and I was living in Bloomington. My long-time friend and fellow fan (all of our other friends were musician/arty types that didn't like sports) came over to listen to WIBC. We were completely broke, and I didn't even have a TV. He scrounged up a handful of change before he came over, and I knew of a certain ATM in town that would give out as little as five dollars. That was perfect becuase I had 7 dollars in the bank. Subtract the withdraw fees and I could still make the cut. We spent our 8 bucks or so on a case of cheap beer and went back to my house.

For hours, we listened to the game together, played darts in the living room, and talked about everything under the sun, but mostly talked about the Pacers. We felt this was our year. This was our big chance to beat the Hated Bulls. We could FEEL it. The night continued as we shared every pacers story we knew and debated all sorts of useless stats.

We were two guys talking sports without a TV, cheering and shouting at a cheap radio and I had a blast.

Three days later, I received a call. My friend had died the night before and his body had just been discovered.

As the years go by, I think of our last day together, and when I think of that day, I think of the team that bonded our friendship before it was tragically cut short. Somehow, I think of my continued loyalty to the Pacers as some form of homage to my friend and fellow fan and our last, perfect night as fans.

Sollozzo
07-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Easily when we won game six in NY in 2000 to go to the finals.

Nothing else comes close.

FiestyFosterFanatic
07-18-2005, 08:20 PM
In 2004 I went to Game 1 against the Heat. I go to games all the time, but this time, I had seats behind the Heat bench. 2 Rows behind the Heat bench. I got these tickets thanks to my brother's girlfriend's uncle, who is a season ticketholder. Having these seats also scores you access to the Best Team Lockeroom Grill. My highlight was getting to meet Ron Artest, Jamaal Tinsley, James Jones and Anthony Johnson before the game. I got my Pacer Playoff poster signed by them, and actually got to give the team a high five as they ran out the tunnel (along with about 50 8-12 year olds, I was 19). I was in heaven as a fan, only if I got to meet Reggie, my life would be complete. It was so cool watching a game that close, you don't really realize how big the players are until you see them THAT close. I've sat 20 rows up, which is pretty close, but it does not do them justice. Coolest day ever.

Also during the 2000 Finals, all the games hold a special place in my heart. Now, I didn't have tickets to any of the games, but I did sit across the street watching the game on the JUMBO screen with hundreds of Pacer fans. It poured every home game, yet not one fan left because they wanted to see the games. It was so great meeting those people. I'd see the same people there every game, and you really got to know random strangers, and I even still recognize some of the people at games today. I was a Sophomore in high school at the time. Really cool experiences.

travmil
07-18-2005, 08:26 PM
I went to a friends house to witness the Memorial Day Miracle. His dad was the most vehement anti-Pacers fan I had ever seen. It didn't matter who the Pacers were playing this guy would root for them. If the Pacers were playing the Berlin Nazi's captained by Hitler himself, this guy would have rooted for the enemy. Anyway, we all know what happened. When Penny Hardaway hit that shot for them to go back up by 1 with 1.7 to go, he started going around the room rubbing it all of our faces. He was still up jumping for joy when Rik took the inbound, turned, faked, and swished as time expired. When that happened, we all gave it right back to him, and then he kicked us out of his house. By far my best day as a Pacer fan. I just wish they had won that series.

PCC87
07-18-2005, 08:32 PM
For me it would definately be the game right after the brawl.Me and my friend went and saw the blue and gold battle against the Orlando Magic.We had horrible seats because we waited until 3 hours before the game.But atleast we were there.The game consisted of the Freddie, and the "scrubs".They only had 8 players I believe.We almost won.But they played their hearts out and the fans at Conseco showed their appreciation bye giving them a standing ovation.It gave me goosebumps.

Suaveness
07-18-2005, 08:38 PM
The day we win a title

FiestyFosterFanatic
07-18-2005, 08:39 PM
11/20 was definetly awesome. It was like a college crowd at the game, place was going nuts for every hustle play. Seeing David Harrison go flying into the stands for a looseball, and then get a standing ovation, it was awesome. That game reminds me of the Hoosiers quote : " I don't care what the scoreboard says at the end of the game, if you play to the best of your ability, in my book, your gonna be winners"

That entire game gave me goosebumps. I was so proud of everyone that night. 6 players and they almost win the game. Completely awesome experience.

Los Angeles
07-18-2005, 08:40 PM
The day we win a title
Cheater! :-p

That was a pretty clever response, though. ;)

Isaac
07-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Easily EASILY when I was there to witness Reggie hit the game winner over Jordan in the 98 ECF, but second place would probably be after the brawl, how proud I was that this team kept on winning, this whole season made me a tougher pacers fan and even more loyal then before.

FiestyFosterFanatic
07-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah this year really made me a much more loyal pacer fan. I mean I was a diehard before, but now, nothing can make me turn away from the Pacers. I mean seeing a team of Britton Johnsen, Marcus Haslip, Tremaine Fowlkes and Jon Edwards being led by Fred Jones and James Jones really made me proud. The guts they showed, and how they basically were able to plug in players and still win was just amazing.

SoupIsGood
07-18-2005, 08:52 PM
11/20 :-p

Lord Helmet
07-18-2005, 09:57 PM
For me it would definately be the game right after the brawl.Me and my friend went and saw the blue and gold battle against the Orlando Magic.We had horrible seats because we waited until 3 hours before the game.But atleast we were there.The game consisted of the Freddie, and the "scrubs".They only had 8 players I believe.We almost won.But they played their hearts out and the fans at Conseco showed their appreciation bye giving them a standing ovation.It gave me goosebumps.
Goosebumps? I thought I was the only one who got them when I was real pumped for a game or proud.

My greatest day, well, it would have to have been Game 1 of the 2004 ECF vs Detroit.

I went to the game and we sat courtside, and I experienced one of the last Miller moments in the playoffs, when Reggie hit that three at the end. Man, the crowd got so freaking loud. It was awesome, the loudness could've rivaled MSA's.

They'res so many I have had, though. Here's another one, I went to Game 6 of the first round of the playoffs last year. Where we took the Celts to OT but then lost. Now, I didn't like the fact we lost, but it was a crazy game between how it ended and the obnoxious Boston fans that were almost kicked out.They kept heckling and they would never sit down, if Pierce hit a shot, they would be screaming about it even after we had came back and scored. They should've been kicked out, but the security was nice to them, I guess. At the end of the game we came back because Pierce acted like a bone head, and the Celts had a rookie at the line in crunch time. Again, Conseco got really loud, he missed both.

The game went to OT, we lost. But, we still won the series in 7.

Those are my best moments so far. Hopefully, I'll add winning the Finals soon. :cool:

Jermaniac
07-18-2005, 10:06 PM

Nothing else comes close.Yup, I really thought it was our time to win a championship.

Kegboy
07-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Two come to mind.

One, opening night at Conseco. I left the Purdue-Wisconsin game at halftime, and broke just about every traffic law imaginable to get downtown. I ran from my car, got completely lost trying to find my seats, but found them right before the lights went down. Utterly exhausted, I got to see Vitaly Potapenko score the first points in the Fieldhouse. :duh: That's why I got my season tickets a year earlier, to have seats when Conseco opened.

Two, the last game this season. I mentioned this at the forum party, but I had an asthma attack with about a minute left, due to screaming so hard. Had to have been at least 7 years since the last time I had one. Then I balled my eyes out when Rick called that timeout. We were there a good 15 minutes after the final buzzer before I had the strength to go out to the car. But, just like Reggie, I left it all out on the court, which is the final reason* why I'm not getting tickets anymore. Can't go out much better than that.

* That is, until the Pacers unveil the new uni's, and I complain that they're so ugly that they're reason #1683 why I'm not getting tickets anymore. :-p

foretaz
07-18-2005, 11:35 PM
summer of 77....not really sure what the day was....

i was 12....and ive alluded to this story before....but a bit of background...i was born and raised in indy....from as far back as i can remember basketball and the pacers were a big part of my life....whether i was watching them on tv, listening to them on the radio, going to a few games with my parents, or pretending to be billy keller, darnell hillman, big mac, etc. on my basketball court....

during the season i was in school, obviously...my routine was as soon as i got home from school i would grab the snacks and the indy star and read whatever was going on with the pacers....i then would do my homework....once done with that it was outside to the court where id play at least until dark....id wear my blue and gold sweatbands....and play with my red, white, and blue ball...

then in the summer of 77 i nearly lost all that....the pacers were in financial trouble and talk was they were going to be sold and moved....

but then they came up with this idea....save the pacers telethon....for whatever reason i always watched the labor day telethon- and enjoyed it for some reason.....well when the telethon was announced i was sure to tune in...

i believe it was on channel 4, though im not sure....that was the station that did alot of the pacers games...well i started watching and was glued....soon i was begging my dad to phone in a contribution....but soon that wasnt enuff...i wanted to go down to the telethon....i nagged and begged and eventually he gave in and took my family down to the telethon....i grabbed my bank and off we went...

i gave the money from my bank to nancy leonard and conned my dad into writing a check....and later that day, when it was announced that the ticket number had been met, i cant really describe how happy i was....or maybe it was just relief....i just couldnt really think of life without the pacers....if for no other reason, i had them in my life the whole time and they played such a huge part....

there have been many great memories....but as i thought about the greatest day, i eventually decided it had to be that day....because that was really the day the pacers were saved, and i received a lifelong set of memories because of that day that otherwise i wouldnt have gotten....im not sure how life would have been growing up without the pacers, and im glad i didnt have to find out....

the pacers were indeed saved that summer of 77....and so were a lifetime of memories....

Los Angeles
07-19-2005, 12:05 AM
I didn't know about that Foretaz. That's a great piece of team history.

indygeezer
07-19-2005, 12:51 AM
"Ding Dong the Witch is Dead"!!!

and 2nd would be the last minute of Reggies last game.

Destined4Greatness
07-19-2005, 12:55 AM
11/20, no question. Other teams would have tanked it, we fought tooth and nail.

PacerNthaDesert
07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Beating Boston this year in Game 7, in the fleet center after all this team had been through time and time again. A very proud day to be a Pacer fan I thought. It probably isnt anywhere near their greatest moment but it was sure special.

SoupIsGood
07-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Actually, I said 11/20 because it was the first time I actually sat down and watched David play, at first. I didn't see a whole lot of the first few games.

Now that I think about it, that really was the greatest thing I've been a part of as a Pacer fan. We lost, but that game was special. When I think of that game, I don't think of it in terms of victory or defeat, and that makes it different.

Anyone have a recording of that game? :-p

PCC87
07-19-2005, 01:17 AM
I don't have it recorded but being their in person will always be in my head.

Kraft
07-19-2005, 01:18 AM
05/07/1995 -- Reggie's eight points.

And about two or so minutes later, my sister was born.

Shade
07-19-2005, 01:22 AM

Nothing else comes close.

Yup. :happydanc

kidthecat
07-19-2005, 01:30 AM
2005: Round One, Game Three

Pacers bounce back to beat Boston in game two after a humilating defeat in game one.

This was my all-time favorite moment--just, so special. It was to be Reggie Miller's last 30-plus point performance (33), and I remember knowing the Pacers would win. I was already tired of Ricky Davis' trash talking (who wasn't?) and the rest of the Celtics' young guns who had thought they would sink their teeth into trodden opportunity. Reggie put on a spectacular show, thoroughly making fools of PP, Tony Allen, and Mr. Davis. His trick plays lit Conseco up; and, of course, so did his pitch for theatre. Defenders were falling everywhere, trying haplessly to fend Reggie off screens from the P's Bigs. Reggie busted a sick 27 foot three in PP's face in quarter four that symbolically buried the Celtics and led to quite a run by the Pacers.

It just felt so good, knowing trickiness and wisdom had triumphed talent and youth (and I'm pretty young, go figure:P).

Reggie was not the only highlight: I remember Fred Jones pulling off a sick crossover that broke PP's ankles. JO and Antoine also got into it, thus earning AW a nice suspension for game four (Celtics still won :rolleyes: ).

Quite oddly, it was my first playoff game ever, making it all the more memorable.

Also comes to mind: The second game after the brawl against--yes-- the Celtics. Conseco was so loud and supportive of the Pacers and I even brought an anti-Stern poster to show my displeasure. Pacers won, having been led by Fred Jones and James Jones (but it was quite the team effort).

So many good memories this year. Who would have thought? :)

croz24
07-19-2005, 01:39 AM
mine has to be mj's 1st game back w/ the bulls wearing #45 at msa. sitting in row 3, the crowd was electric, media was everywhere, and the game was just crazy. score went back and forth all game. mj put up 19pts in a loss to the pacers in ot. i can remember it like it was yesterday. this was tough to pick over pacers beating the knicks to reach the finals, but mj was always my favorite. reggie's 38pt performance last yr vs miami has to be up there too. hitting that turnaround jumper w/ 1sec left on the shotclock that sealed the win was just awesome.

Bball
07-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Any of the period of time from winning the ECF's in 2000 to actually playing in the Finals. You can't win a championship if you don't get to the finals...

Lots of good memories in '94 as well. For the first time Pacer fans could believe and be taken serious.

-Bball

RWB
07-19-2005, 09:10 AM
1983? I think. Clark Kellogg hits the winning shot at the buzzer to beat Bird and the Boston Celtics. This was at MSA and I swear there were 14,000 Celtic fans and probably 2000 Pacer fans and we were surrounded by those in green.

94/95? I think. Wife and two sons were standing in a que(sp?) at Universal Studios Orlando, Florida after we had just stole a 2nd game from the Magic in the playoffs proudly wearing our Pacer gear. Standing in the adjacent que was a family of four proudly wearing their Magic gear. We kept running into each other as the lines would move and if looks could kill we would have been dead people. Mrs. RWB loves to talk to people and couldn't help but ask the Magic family "hey wasn't that a great game last night"? GRRRR. "Move along dear, hurry up the line is moving"....Best part was coming home and watching the P's sweep an opponent for the first time.

We seem to have bad luck during playoff time in Orlando. Almost got thrown out of Homewood Suites for being too loud while watching Reggie hit the 25 in the 4th quarter against the Knicks. I remember these immortal words "Sir, you are going to have to quiet your family down or you must leave. I know Hoosiers like basketball, but this is Florida. I assume your team is winning"?

McClintic Sphere
07-19-2005, 09:22 AM
I remember these immortal words "Sir, you are going to have to quiet your family down or you must leave. I know Hoosiers like basketball, but this is Florida. I assume your team is winning"?

That's really funny. After meeting you and your wife at the forum party, RWB, you don't seem like boisterous people, so you must have been really stoked. Good job carrying the torch on the road.

RWB
07-19-2005, 09:28 AM
That's really funny. After meeting you and your wife at the forum party, RWB, you don't seem like boisterous people, so you must have been really stoked. Good job carrying the torch on the road.

Mr. Sphere I think your opinion on me is pretty dead on. Now on the Mrs. you can't even imagine. :laugh:

Unclebuck
07-19-2005, 09:35 AM
I guess I take the question a little differently. If you had asked what was the greatest "game" in Pacers history I would have a different answer.

But the greatest "day" should be much bigger than 1 games.

The greatest day without question was when the Simons bought the team I believe in 1983. I remember reading the newspaper on the school bus on the way to school. (My family did not care about the Pacers back then, and I was I think in 6th or 7th grade, so I was not intuned to things) but I remember reading that the Simons had bought the team from the prior wretched owners, and that the Pacers would be staying in Indy for a long time.

I still remember reading that article, and maybe I did not fully understand the importance of it all, but I knew it was big.

At the time I had no idea just how important that day really was. But today I realize. There would not be an NBA team in Indy, they would have moved, I would not be a Pacers fan today, my life would be very different.

marcd
07-19-2005, 09:39 AM
The off day between Game 1 and Game 2 of the 2000 NBA Finals. My wife went into labor just prior to Game 1, I got to watch this in the room while she was laboring. The next morning my son was born and he watched his first Pacer's Game just barely 24 hours old! And yes, he is a die hard Pacer fan at age 5. I think he was more broken up about Reggie's retirement than I was.

That moment just sticks out in my head as the Finals was my greatest dream as a Pacer fan and the fact that my son was born during that period makes it even more special.

So whenever someone asks when he was born or what his birthday is, I tell them and then follow it with "he was born on the off day between game one and game two of the Pacers/Lakers NBA finals". Always draws eye rolls from people.

MarcD

Unclebuck
07-19-2005, 09:44 AM
. I remember these immortal words "Sir, you are going to have to quiet your family down or you must leave. I know Hoosiers like basketball, but this is Florida. I assume your team is winning"?

That is classic

Slick Pinkham
07-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I remember the ABA titles and the telethon, but I was too young to really be wrapped up in them.

My greatest moment of joy, and that's how I will define the question, was the day of the call "DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD" after Ewing misses a layup and the Pacers finally knock the Knicks out of the playoffs.

It may seem odd to some of you young-uns that beating the Knicks was at one time very significant.

reggie31mate
07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
First of all: This is a great thread, I really like knowing about personal stuff like this involving the Pacers!

My greatest day:
2001-02 playoffs first round, we played underdogs to the New Jersey Nets, and it was the fifth and last game.. The one and only time when I got to see a Reggie Miller moment "live". Our local sports TV here in Hungary finally decided to air a Pacers game live, and it was like 3 or 4am when the game started. I had a TV Tuner in my computer, so I got up in time to watch the game..My mother and little brother were sleeping peacefully in the next room, totally unaware of what's to come! So the game started and I've tried my best not to scream or shout every time I wanted to.. (That's a hell of a work)
4th quarter, New Jersey still up by a couple of points, Artest is cheering from the sidelines, Tinsley is out, Kevin Ollie is running the point, Kidd and Van Horn are killing us, and I'm dying a slow and painful death.. Reggie gets the ball behind the three-point arc but cannot shoot because Van Horn is in his face, covering him very well...Reggie looks to pass, but suddenly changes his mind, takes a quick step back (I still use that move to create space to shoot), fakes Van Horn to the air, gets under him and makes sure the official blows his whistle.. (My heart is in danger..I need medication, but there's NO WAY I'm leaving the room) Van Horn fouls out..I start to scream very loudly..and I hear that the TV's on in the next room, so I go out..to see me mother and brother watch the game, stating that they didn't have any choice as I was screaming for like an hour now, making impossible to sleep for everyone.. :) So we continue to watch the game together..My family is sitting on the couch, and I'm on the floor in every position possible.. So Reggie goes to the line, to shoot three free throws for the tie..Hits the first!! Byron Scott calls for time, praying to the Basketball Gods for a Reggie miss...His wish is quickly granted as Reggie misses the second, right after the timeout..(I'm dying, I cannot breath, I'm totaly broke..) Of course, he hits the third, but we're still behind by one.. Quick foul, Kidd goes to the line for the Nets, sinks both..(I can't even look now, but I have to, we still have one last shot) So Ollie has the ball, the Nets concentrates on Miller who tries to free himself but unable, Ollie penetrates, puts up a shot (a single layup I might add) and misses BADLY..(I scream, I curse, I really want to kill Ollie..) and Reggie desperately fouls Jefferson.. Game over (in my mind at least), RJ is a 80% foul shooter, and he only needs to hit one, and they're up by 4.. We can't call for time any more, so everything seems lost..But then something happens..a glimpse of hope, the rookie misses the first one..and I mean misses badly..he's scared, I can see it in his eye..he feels the pressure, I know that he's gonna miss the next one too..and so he does, (I jump up from the crouching position).. Jermaine gets the rebound..one pass, (Reggie is at the half-court line) I can still hear it in my head as Reggie shoots the fadeaway from halfcourt.."Ollie, two seconds, passes it to Miller for the WIIIIIIIIN" "YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YE S, HE HIT IT FROM 40 FEET, AS TIME EXPIRED, IT IS GOOOD!!!!"
(I'm in the middle of the room, laying, screaming, crying, celebrating, my mother and brother..along with Brad Miller and the others on the floor..in total disbelief)
Gooood times...Plus, Reggie carried that team through another overtime, dunked over 3 Nets players at the end of o1 to force another. And we shoud've won..When Jermaine went out with 6, there were nobody left who could play Kenyon 1-1..
A single game, but it was the fist "live" Pacers game for me, even if I was a continent away ..and we lost.. :)

DANCINGHARRY
07-19-2005, 12:58 PM
There have been quite a few foe me as a 50 year old who was in the stands at the fair grounds. Three ABA championships 5 final appearances hosting two all star games one in the ABA and one in the NBA the first game at MSA, games where the upper decks were closed off drafting clark kellog herb williams trading for adrian dantly drafting alex english len elmore dan roundfield. We had good teams in the eightys the first playoff series in 81. Minus all of rick and reggies heoics and the success of those 90's teams including chuck persons stick it in your face game against the celts. Standing outside MSA in the 94 second round against the hawks knowing the electricity was in the air and that the pacers franchise had finally arrived in the NBA. Knowing that this team when the hired KLarry Brown was going to do something. Remember kenny william flying for the slam in game three AND THE ANNOUNCERS ON tv GOING who the hell r these guys. THAT WAS PROBABLY THE GREATEST MOMENT FOR ME BECAUSE BEFORE THAT RICK SMITS COULD WALK DOWN TOWN AND 99 OUT OF 100 PEOPLE WOULD NOT HAVE KNOWEN WHO HE EVEN WAS.

OnlyPacersLeft
07-19-2005, 09:28 PM
November 19

Hicks
07-19-2005, 09:34 PM
November 19

:unimpress

circlecitysportsfan
07-19-2005, 11:29 PM
I don't have one, i feel like that day hasn't come yet. One the most memorable was the 2000 ECF game 6, when Reggie dropped 17 in the fourth and the Pacers FINALLY advanced to the NBA Finals. All those years losing to Orlando and Chicago and NY twice in the ECF, it was sweet to finally beat the Knicks in their house to get to the Finals.

8.9_seconds
07-20-2005, 12:11 AM
The best Moment for me was game 5 in the finals, I just broke down and cried. I know that it was pretty much a blow out game but it really sent the message that we were contenders and we really could match LA and win.

ChicagoJ
07-20-2005, 12:12 AM
The day, shortly after I graduated from college, when I went down to MSA to pick out my seats for a half-season ticket package.

Sollozzo
07-20-2005, 12:21 AM
The best Moment for me was game 5 in the finals, I just broke down and cried. I know that it was pretty much a blow out game but it really sent the message that we were contenders and we really could match LA and win.

Not really.

We were down in the series 3-1 going into that game. LA won that series in game 4. Game 5 was important for the Pacers because they didn't want LA to get the trophy on their floor. LA knew they'd dispose of us back in Los Angeles.

indytoad
07-20-2005, 12:21 AM
I'd probably have to pick between two... As many have said before, the moment the Pacers finally beat the Knicks to advance to the Finals was great. I don't think I've ever been so pumped for such an extended period of time. The other was forcing Game 7 against the Bulls. Even though we didn't win, knowing that we instilled the Fear into so many MJ fans is pretty fulfilling.

IndyToad
Feel Good, Inc.

Peck
07-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Well, I guess since were going with greatest day as a Pacers fan I will have to go with June 17, 1986. That day the Pacers drafted Chuck Person & my wife delivered a diamond in the rough & future Artest hater at the hospital.

3ptmiller
07-20-2005, 04:11 AM
Reggies 8 pts in the final seconds for the win, the same day i hit the game winning shot in my FIRST HighSchool basketball game after studying Reggies moves... Thats unforgettable.

Los Angeles
07-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Well, I guess since were going with greatest day as a Pacers fan I will have to go with June 17, 1986. That day the Pacers drafted Chuck Person & my wife delivered a diamond in the rough & future Artest hater at the hospital.
Wow, now that's what I'm talking about.