PDA

View Full Version : Wait a minute, Sarunas is signing with the Cavs ?

Unclebuck
07-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Have we all missed this ? I won't be heart broken, but I wonder where this guys gets his info

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA071705.5C.COL.BKNmonroe.12ab808.html

Mike Monroe: Cavaliers' improvement highlights major summer moves
Web Posted: 07/17/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

A premature look at some of the NBA's major summer moves, some of which we expect to become official Friday, or shortly thereafter:

The Cavaliers have made the greatest improvement. General manager Danny Ferry proved that he learned a lot from his Spurs mentors ó Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford ó when he convinced owner Dan Gilbert it was important to bring back center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and then got Ilgauskas to agree to return for relatively modest money ($55 million over five seasons). This was after Ferry got a commitment from Wizards' guard Larry Hughes on a five-year deal, at a reported $70 million.

Ferry also had courted the Bucks' Michael Redd, but got lucky when the Bucks made Redd a maximum offer that Redd accepted. The Cavs are better off with Hughes. When Ferry got an agreement from Lithuanian guard Sarunas Jasekevicius, he made the Cavs one of the top three teams in the East.

The Suns have gotten better, too, as long as owner Robert Sarver doesn't renege on his promise to GM Bryan Colangelo and coach Mike D'Antoni to match any offer free-agent guard Joe Johnson gets. If Johnson is back with Phoenix, the additions of Kurt Thomas and Raja Bell are going to make the Suns tougher for the Spurs to get past in next season's Western Conference playoffs.

The Sonics are in free fall, even if they did manage to get Ray Allen back in the fold. Jerome James is gone, and Antonio Daniels has all but a couple of toes out the door. And owner Howard Schultz is about to find out how important it was to have a coach all his players were willing to give their all for.

The Bucks have been spending like Mark Cuban is signing the paychecks, but how much better will they be? They are grossly overpaying both Michael Redd and Dan Gadzuric, and new coach Terry Stotts is going to have to figure out how to make optimal use of Desmond Mason and another overpaid new player, Bobby Simmons.

The Knicks continue to be a joke, still unable to decide on a head coach and losing most of their interior toughness in the Kurt Thomas trade.

The Heat did what it had to do to bring back Udonis Haslem and will get Shaquille O'Neal back at a discount. But what's up with all the speculation about Pat Riley returning to the bench? Thus far, we've had nothing but non-denial denials. If it happens, feel free to speculate it was something O'Neal wanted.

The Spurs have done what they always do: Find ways to improve without breaking the bank. Robert Horry will return with a well-deserved raise, but still at a bargain price. Adding relatively bargain-priced Argentine center-power forward Fabricio Oberto gives them precisely the kind of flexibility they needed on the front line, not to mention some flexibility as they examine trade offers that come in and involve Rasho Nesterovic.

When will most of these moves be finalized? Some general managers have gotten edgy about a message attached to recent e-mails from the league office indicating a possibility the projected signing day for free agents could be extended a while from July 22.

This is what happens when the final details of a collective bargaining agreement are turned over to teams of lawyers.

Nobody expects the signing date to be pushed back very far, if at all, but the date is of most interest to the Hawks and Suns. The Hawks, of course, are expected to make a maximum contract offer to Johnson on the official signing day, after which the Suns will have a week to match the offer or let Johnson leave.

Since that decision is apt to have a domino effect, with other free agents anxiously waiting to see whether or not the Hawks will have the Johnson money to throw at them, you can bet they don't want the anxiety of their free-agent summers to drag too far into August.

Hicks
07-17-2005, 11:25 PM
I think this is mentioned in another thread around here somewhere...

indytoad
07-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Also interesting that he considers the Cavs now one of the top three teams in the East. Not that I don't disagree in theory - just seems a bit premature.

IndyToad
Watch out for firetrucks

foretaz
07-17-2005, 11:28 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13417

Gamble
07-17-2005, 11:28 PM

Well if this is true then i guess we have to show him why it was a
mistake. No final for Sars and no ring either... Its a shame.

Suaveness
07-17-2005, 11:29 PM
In theory we may also be the worst team, assuming Ronnie goes into the stands again and there is no Reggie to carry us.

Unclebuck
07-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Sorry about starting a duplicate thread, I admit I'm behind in my reading.

If that guy thinks the Cavs are one of the top three teams in the east he's crazy. Just crazy.

Gamble
07-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Sorry about starting a duplicate thread, I admit I'm behind in my reading.

If that guy thinks the Cavs are one of the top three teams in the east he's crazy. Just crazy.

No i think Peck said the Bulls where. hahaha.
Sorry had to throw that in there but seriously Curry will die and then
i will feel bad bc i new ahead of time and didn't warn him.

Believe_in_blue
07-18-2005, 12:51 AM
but seriously Curry will die and then
i will feel bad bc i new ahead of time and didn't warn him.

Would that make you an *******:confused:

Fool
07-18-2005, 10:36 AM
I think it makes him a murderer.

ChicagoJ
07-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Or a negligent heart surgeon.

Gamble
07-18-2005, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Believe_in_blue]Would that make you an $##$

Well i would hope it wouldn't but serious when Curry was getting
looks from other teams he wouldn't let them do test on him.
Which to me looks like the guy has something to lose. I hope
his condition will improve because the Bulls will need him to be
their inside presence. ANd blue if i offended you i am sorry.

Kegboy
07-18-2005, 02:27 PM
I think it makes him a murderer.

I guess we're all accomplises then because he told us at the party.

indygeezer
07-18-2005, 03:01 PM
I guess we're all accomplises then because he told us at the party.

I didn't hear him say it....I DID NOT HEAR HIM SAY IT! I'm pretty sure I was in the bathroom when he said it yer honor, so I'm not an accomplice.

If I was off to *** then ya gotta acquit.

indygeezer
07-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Looking at the Cleveland Plain Dealer Fan Blog

http://www.cleveland.com/forums/cavs/

They seem to think they have him sewn up.

Hicks
07-18-2005, 04:47 PM
The latest post on that forum is:

"a response from the San Antonio journalist that we've been questioning all weekend. As soon as he put out the article, I emailed him to thank him and asked for him to confirm. I didn't hear back until today. His response:

"I amm afraid I overstated ... there is no agreedment yet, though I believe there will be. Stay tuned

-mm"

indygeezer
07-18-2005, 04:50 PM
The latest post on that forum is:

I was looking at the one from the guy who is a buddy with a Scout Tel Aviv
saying the Sara's team had been told that he was signing with Cavs.

Hicks
07-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Hmmm. Well damn. lol

SoupIsGood
07-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Anyone who reads this post: You will indeed die sometime.

Phew, I feel much better now that I have warned you.

Kegboy
07-18-2005, 11:09 PM
I didn't hear him say it....I DID NOT HEAR HIM SAY IT! I'm pretty sure I was in the bathroom when he said it yer honor, so I'm not an accomplice.

If I was off to *** then ya gotta acquit.

Oh, come on! You're his uncle, for pete's sake! You're the first one going to jail for sure. :tongue:

indygeezer
07-19-2005, 06:58 AM
I'm copying this from the Star site...it's from a convo between Blahzay and a fan from"over there"
=====================================
done

and on the way those clips are on sharas from our Fan Club

http://www.maccabifans.co.il/mf/mf2...videos/stay.wmv

http://www.maccabifans.co.il/mf/mf2.../nobodydoes.mpg

anjoy

indygeezer
07-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Shamelessly bumping this.

RWB
07-19-2005, 10:50 AM
By chance if we somehow get this guy does he have a nickname and how do you pronounce it? Soreanus is it?

indygeezer
07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
By chance if we somehow get this guy does he have a nickname and how do you pronounce it? Soreanus is it?

IIRC I saw where this guy said it was pronounced SARA AH NOOSE but I couldn't find it when I looked.

I'll add this from his discussion with Blahzay:

Re: Sarunas Jasikevicius, PG, Maccabi Tel Aviv

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey
i'm too from israel and i'm not going to lecture about how littel the nba knows about what going on outside but just look at those movies and watch maccabi (who some say is a legitimate nba team) and sharas in work

http://www.tzahevet.co.il/video-open.asp?id=6

http://www.tzahevet.co.il/video-open.asp?id=8

http://www.tzahevet.co.il/video-open.asp?id=9

http://www.tzahevet.co.il/video-open.asp?id=10

by the way nobody mention it but sharas is the best pick and roll player i've ever seen since Stockton

Unclebuck
07-19-2005, 11:36 AM
According to the Akron Beacon Journal the Pacers might be backing off. I read that on Hoopshype.com today

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

diamonddave00
07-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Says we contacted Juan Dixon too. As for Jasikevicius could be Pacers are laying low. They know what they can offer and will spring when they need to.

Reports are Cavaliers are close to signing Donyell Marshall and talking to Marko Jaric. Could it be Sarunas told Cavs ,sorry I'm looking elsewhere?

Walsh never tipped his hand , I see Bird very much the same way. Could be all is quiet on Jasikevicius front because we have a deal with him already or perhaps Bird has been given assurances Pacers will be given a last chance to better offer if everyone has lowballed Saras so far?

Or of course Jasikevicius could be a complete smoke screen.

indygeezer
07-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Says we contacted Juan Dixon too. As for Jasikevicius could be Pacers are laying low. They know what they can offer and will spring when they need to.

And of course the Akron papers have all kinds of contacts within the NBA since they are one of the conerstone franchises.

I'm just skeptical of any report out of anywhere right now....things are slow and hacks have deadlines too.

indygeezer
07-19-2005, 11:51 AM

Reports are Cavaliers are close to signing Donyell Marshall and talking to Marko Jaric. Could it be Sarunas told Cavs ,sorry I'm looking elsewhere?

Walsh never tipped his hand , I see Bird very much the same way. Could be all is quiet on Jasikevicius front because we have a deal with him already or perhaps Bird has been given assurances Pacers will be given a last chance to better offer if everyone has lowballed Saras so far?

Or of course Jasikevicius could be a complete smoke screen.

OK, you're te 2nd writer I've seen say that Marshall is close to signing with the Cavs, yet I can't see it anywhere. Where is the info coming from? If true that would def take the Cavs out of the Saras marathon.

Bball
07-19-2005, 11:53 AM

..Or it could be the same as always in Pacerland during the summer. We were part of some rumors that the team didn't squash immediately (good for the fans and press to keep the Pacers in the papers... free pub) but really weren't going to get involved in any bidding for a FA and will sign our usual 'who's he?' vet minimum guy heading into training camp and that will be that.

The only reason I allowed myself to think otherwise is because it is not just DW but Bird involved and (supposedly) he did make some overseas trip (or trips) to watch this guy.

-Bball

Shade
07-19-2005, 11:54 AM
OK, you're te 2nd writer I've seen say that Marshall is close to signing with the Cavs, yet I can't see it anywhere. Where is the info coming from? If true that would def take the Cavs out of the Saras marathon.

The NY Post says it's a done deal. Take that for what you will...

foretaz
07-19-2005, 11:56 AM

yea...theres a very brief mention of marshall and the cavs on hoopshype with reference to the SAR situation in new jersey...its from the new york post, so u take it with a grain of salt...

yet with supposed interest, which doesnt make a tremendous amount of sense, and interest in jaric, which makes a ton of sense, it might bode well for the pacers and saras...

ive stated before that i think the longer this drags out and saras doesnt sign with anyone else, the more likely hes gonna be a pacer...

the fact some are saying the pacers are backing off only furthers my belief that he will become a pacer....

Bball
07-19-2005, 12:06 PM
the fact some are saying the pacers are backing off only furthers my belief that he will become a pacer....

DW: "Dammit Larry, get in here!!!!!" (Walsh on intercom to Bird)

Bird: (Out of breath from running down the hall) "What's the problem?"

DW: "I told you to be careful fanning the free agent flames. You've went way overboard! Saras' agent is calling me like every 10 minutes. He thinks we're seriously interested!!"

Bird: "Well, I wouldn't mind having him on the team...."

DW: "Yeah, and I wouldn't mind having Tim Duncan on the team either but we've got our team. Now go out there and find a vet minimum guy you like and we'll see if we can't sign him for you and get on with the upcoming season"

-Bball

foretaz
07-19-2005, 12:29 PM
DW: "Dammit Larry, get in here!!!!!" (Walsh on intercom to Bird)

Bird: (Out of breath from running down the hall) "What's the problem?"

DW: "I told you to be careful fanning the free agent flames. You've went way overboard! Saras' agent is calling me like every 10 minutes. He thinks we're seriously interested!!"

Bird: "Well, I wouldn't mind having him on the team...."

DW: "Yeah, and I wouldn't mind having Tim Duncan on the team either but we've got our team. Now go out there and find a vet minimum guy you like and we'll see if we can't sign him for you and get on with the upcoming season"

-Bball

ok...ill admit....though i believe the foundation to be grossly flawed and inaccurate, it was quite funny and made me laugh....

i will say this...if indeed the pacers are backing off, a potential reason for that COULD be the amnesty released players....it would seem the pacers would be a viable candidate to some of these players(brian grant, etc) and the fact that most of these players will be long time vets would make them attractive to a very young pacers team....

shame we will have to wait a while to see how that plays out...though signing saras, especially for the 10 mll for 3 years wouldnt really negate their ability to sign one of those guys....but i do think theyd like to get a better feel for whos gonna be out there...and as more moves are made around the league, those moves might be able to be better predicted

Shade
07-19-2005, 01:39 PM
ok...ill admit....though i believe the foundation to be grossly flawed and inaccurate, it was quite funny and made me laugh....

i will say this...if indeed the pacers are backing off, a potential reason for that COULD be the amnesty released players....it would seem the pacers would be a viable candidate to some of these players(brian grant, etc) and the fact that most of these players will be long time vets would make them attractive to a very young pacers team....

shame we will have to wait a while to see how that plays out...though signing saras, especially for the 10 mll for 3 years wouldnt really negate their ability to sign one of those guys....but i do think theyd like to get a better feel for whos gonna be out there...and as more moves are made around the league, those moves might be able to be better predicted

Have any players been officially released yet?

If Grant has, that means the Lakers traded Shaq for Odom and Kwame Brown. :eek:

Kegboy
07-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Have any players been officially released yet?

If Grant has, that means the Lakers traded Shaq for Odom and Kwame Brown. :eek:

Well, nobody can be officially released until they get the CBA worked out. But, yeah, wow.

I still go back to how well Grant played against us in the playoffs the previous year. Guess that was him just emptying his tank, a la Reggie.

Harmonica
07-19-2005, 02:17 PM

I don't think the Pacers are backing off. I think they've made an offer and are taking a wait-and-see approach. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that we're going to land him.

foretaz
07-19-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't think the Pacers are backing off. I think they've made an offer and are taking a wait-and-see approach. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that we're going to land him.

i agree.....and mentioned it a bit earlier...ive said all along, that i believe our real competition is the cavs and as it might appear they might be leaning away from him, our chances of getting him skyrocket....

if they sign jaric, daniels, or damon stoudamire i think saras is all ours...

admittedly i wouldnt blame them for signing either of the first two...jaric intriques me quite a bit....i believe both he and daniels would be solid choices, though it appears daniels wont end up there and most likely will be a laker-which would make some sense...

indygeezer
07-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Or Sarunas could pull a Fuchka and get a better contract at home. 'Course that means his NBA chance would have passed him by.

BTW, I have a feeling that if we DO land Saras...Tinsleys days would be numbered in weeks and not months (and that would be how we pay for Saras)

foretaz
07-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Or Sarunas could pull a Fuchka and get a better contract at home. 'Course that means his NBA chance would have passed him by.

BTW, I have a feeling that if we DO land Saras...Tinsleys days would be numbered in weeks and not months (and that would be how we pay for Saras)

well if thats the case, and i have my doubts... i hope that trade of tinsley would bring a guy like chris paul in return...;)

Jose Slaughter
07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/basketball/nba/cleveland_cavaliers/12167113.htm

Posted on Tue, Jul. 19, 2005

Cavs setting sights on Jaric

Restricted free agent from Clippers could fill hole at point guard

By Brian Windhorst

Beacon Journal sports writer

Los Angeles Clippers restricted free agent Marko Jaric is scheduled to visit the team Thursday. If things go well, it is possible the Cavaliers could sign Jaric to an offer sheet Friday, the end of the NBA's moratorium period.

The 6-foot-7 Serbian averaged 9.9 points and 6.1 assists for the Clippers last season, his third year in the NBA. He was also one of the NBA's best in assist-to-turnover and steal-to-turnover ratios.

Jaric, 26, isn't known as a great shooter, but he has a reputation for being a solid defender.

He shot 42 percent from the field and 37 percent from 3-point range last season.

He missed 30 games with foot and hip injuries last season but was healthy by the end of the year.

``I think Cleveland is a perfect place for him,'' Jaric's agent, Bill Duffy, said Monday. ``He's a good decision-maker, a spot-up shooter, and an on-ball defender, and that's the last piece the Cavaliers need.''

Conceivably, Jaric would match up well. His size and quickness combined with the 6-5 Larry Hughes and the 6-8 LeBron James would give the Cavaliers one of the NBA's biggest and most agile backcourts. All three can handle the ball and play multiple positions, giving the team extreme flexibility.

The Cavaliers have about $6 million left to spend in free agency. If they choose to go after Jaric, the Clippers would have seven days to match and retain him. In each of the past two years, the Clippers have not matched offer sheets, letting Andre Miller leave for the Denver Nuggets in 2003 and Quentin Richardson go to the Phoenix Suns last summer.

With Shaun Livingston designated as the point guard of the future and wings Corey Maggette and soon to-be-signed Cuttino Mobley under long-term contracts, there's a chance that the Clippers wouldn't match a substantial offer to Jaric.

Duffy insists that Jaric's interest in the Cavaliers is real and that he's not just looking to get an offer matched.

``Marko sees this as a very appealing situation,'' Duffy said. ``He wants to be a starter, and he matches up well with what they have in place.''

Duffy hinted Monday that it might take the rest of the Cavaliers' cap space to get Jaric, a deal that might be worth $40 million over five years. Several other teams, believed to include the Nuggets and, possibly, the Minnesota Timberwolves, have shown interest in Jaric and might visit him this week in Los Angeles. They could offer him a deal starting at $6 million per year.

The market on point guards might be set by Antonio Daniels, the Seattle SuperSonics free agent who is eyeing several offers this week.

Rumors have been flying for days that the Cavaliers had been targeting Lithuanian point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius, who is perhaps the best shooter on the market. He is still in the running to sign with the Cavaliers even though they are looking at other options.

Jasikevicius turned down an offer from the Boston Celtics, and his other major suitor, the Indiana Pacers, are believed to be backing off as well.

The Cavaliers are also believed to be interested in Washington Wizards restricted free-agent point guard Steve Blake, who is another combo guard who can shoot.

No Larry Brown

ESPN.com reported Monday that the Detroit Pistons and coach Larry Brown are close to parting ways. High-ranking league officials said Brown will not be coming to the Cavaliers in any role whatsoever.

The Cavaliers began back-channel discussions with Brown near the end of the regular season about becoming the team's president of basketball operations. After months of talks and speculation, the team decided to move on at the end of June and hired Danny Ferry as general manager and gave him final say on all personnel decisions.

Owner Dan Gilbert appeared to leave the door open for Brown join the team as a consultant. That won't happen.

sweabs
07-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Interesting. I hope that the Cavs take Jaric; I'm just not a big fan of his game. He's a horrible shooter to put it nicely, and he commits a lot of stupid turnovers. He's really not a spectacular passer or anything, and whenever I've seen him I haven't been over-the-top impressed by his defense.

Go ahead Cleveland, take him!

Bball
07-19-2005, 04:48 PM

I agree and I am a bit excited because it seems Bird really has his eye on this guy and thinks he can make a difference.

OTOH... I don't want to get too excited.... We've seen rumors like this go 'poof' before and the next thing you know we are signing Carlos Rodgers.

-Bball

foretaz
07-19-2005, 05:49 PM
anybody think about this?

cleveland is obviously interested in defense...

they said as much in mikes press conference....

we know mike is a defensive oriented guy....

theyve resigned z who is a bit of a defensive liability...

which means on the ball pressure is at a higher premium....

which might be why they are shying away from saras??

if u have good low post defenders u can maybe get a way with less on the ball pressure....but having both is not a good combo....

would the fact that Z, even though theyre great friends, signing with cleveland make it less likely they would sign saras?

or am i simply stretching too much?

indygeezer
07-19-2005, 05:54 PM
I just keep seeing that video where they are begging the guy to stay and I think..."Hmmm be a 'god' in Israel/Europe...or a BU in the NBA"

although, imagine the ink he'd get if he landed in LALA land.

Kegboy
07-19-2005, 11:57 PM
anybody think about this?

cleveland is obviously interested in defense...

they said as much in mikes press conference....

we know mike is a defensive oriented guy....

theyve resigned z who is a bit of a defensive liability...

which means on the ball pressure is at a higher premium....

which might be why they are shying away from saras??

if u have good low post defenders u can maybe get a way with less on the ball pressure....but having both is not a good combo....

would the fact that Z, even though theyre great friends, signing with cleveland make it less likely they would sign saras?

or am i simply stretching too much?

You have a point. However, my thinking is, if you like the guy, you still have to couple him with a veteran, defensive presence at point. Snow would go a long way in covering Saras' deficiencies. Plus, IMHO, Mike would start Snow anyway. A rookie HC's biggest need is a veteran point with a high bball-IQ.

Young
07-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Sorry if this was already posted but:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_13453.shtml

The roster is now complete.

First off, the Cleveland Cavaliers have came to agreement with forward Donyell Marshall. The 32-year old Marshall, played with the Toronto Raptors for the past two seasons, and the Cavs saw up close and personal what Marshall can do. In the three times Cleveland faced Marshall, he averaged 15.3 points, 7.6 rebounds and shot nine of 19 from long range. In March, Marshall tied the NBA record for most three-pointers made in a game with 12. He should step right in as the starting power forward for the team. The deal is for four years but the actual dollar mount has not been released.

Next, sources say that the Cavs have also reached an agreement with Lithuanian point guard Sarunas Jasekevicius. Jasekevicius, a close friend of Zydrunas Ilgauskas, has been highly sought after this summer, with him already turning a deal down to the Boston Celtics. The Indiana Pacers were reportedly in the mix as well but it looks like Jasekevicius is heading to Cleveland. The team has shown interest in Damon Stoudamire and Marko Jaric but Jasekevicius has been there man. If the deal is complete, the gutsy point guard will also provide some outside shooting for the club and the combination of scores brought on this summer will help free the game up for LeBron James.

So how did the Cavs sign both? With about $6 million left in cap space after signing Larry Hughes and keeping Ilgauskas, Cleveland likely had to add the money up over several years to keep the new recruits happy. If Marshall's deal starts at $4 million and Jasekevicius is at 2, with maximum increases the two will get the money they sought. With the big spending now done, here's what the Cavs roster looks like, assuming the deal with Jasekevicius is finalized

PG - Jasekevicius, Eric Snow
SG - Hughes, Ira Newble, Sasha Pavlovic
SF - James, Luke Jackson
PF - Marshall, Drew Gooden
C - Ilgauskas, Anderson Varejao, Martynas Andriuskevicius

The team will now be able to sign players for the veteran's minimum to fill out the roster. Bringing back Robert Traylor is a possibility. The team could also use some depth at point guard. The big question however is what the team will decide to do with Gooden. It's obvious they need a rugged player to compliment Marshall at the four spot. That's something they will have to address once the free agent market is over.

Still, all in all, a solid roster with more balance than last year. There is a bonafide third option in Hughes, outside shooting with Jasekevicius and Marshall, as well as energy off the bench in Varejao. With the roster they have now, they have ran out of excuses for not making the playoffs this season. What's more - this will essentially be the core, barring trades to shake it up, that James will have by his side once he enters free agency himself. Will it be enough to convince him that he should stay playing for Cleveland? Only time will tell.

Summer Success.

The Cavaliers also have had a big summer on the court. Cleveland's summer league team finished 6-0 in the Las Vegas Summer League. With that mark, the Cavs were the only team in the league to go undefeated. Summer league play doesn't mean much but the wins are sure to give the youngsters on the team some confidence once training camp starts this fall.

Luke Jackson, the Cavsí lotto pick last year and coming off a back injury and surgery that caused him to miss most of the season, led the Cavs in scoring at 11.5 points per game. Jackson showed his strong all-around play, finishing first on the team in assists (4.0) and second on the team in rebounding (5.3). One area where the Cavs would have liked to see better from was Jacksonís 3-point shooting Ė which was a decent 31 percent (7-22) but he obviously isnít yet the ace that Cleveland drafted him to be.

One player that really helped his stock and played himself into a training camp invite is Blake Stepp. A 6í4Ē guard out of Gonzaga, Stepp was a second round draft pick of the Minnesota Timberwolves last year but was waived before the season started. He played well for the Cavsí summer team however, ending up second in scoring for the Cavs at 10.2 points per game. A large part of those points was from him blistering the nets from outside. Stepp, a .381 career three-point shooter in college, hit 11-22 in the six games for the Cavs. With the obvious need of shooting and depth at point guard, donít count out Stepp for the opening day roster.

Another player who will get a shot at making the team is Olumide Oyedeji. Oyedeji has played in the NBA for three years with Seattle and Orlando. This summer, he controlled the paint down low for the Cavs where he had 9.2 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.

Two players who many, including myself, had high hopes for in the summer league but didnít produce was Martynas Andriuskevicius and John Gilchrist. Gilchrist, the talented who went undrafted because of troubles at Maryland, ended up with only 6.8 points per game while shooting only 35 percent from the floor. He also was benched for one game for reportedly being late for a meeting. Andriuskevicius didnít even make that much of an impact, finishing with only 3.7 points and 2.7 rebounds per game. Still, with the potential of Andriuskevicius, he's likely to be on the roster, or in the D-League at least.

Shade
07-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Oh well. :shrug:

Hicks
07-20-2005, 01:44 AM
That's Hoopsworld. They don't exactly beam with legitimacy.

KING JAMES
07-20-2005, 04:13 AM
this guy is taking forever