PDA

View Full Version : Reggie wins best NBA moment at ESPYs

Los Angeles
07-17-2005, 04:08 PM
You know, I never really understood the espy's.

I mean, isn't the whole idea behind sports to compete, and the "best" wins anyway? They even get trophies for it.

I really don't understand. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Unclebuck
07-17-2005, 04:18 PM
You know, I never really understood the espy's.

I mean, isn't the whole idea behind sports to compete, and the "best" wins anyway? They even get trophies for it.

I really don't understand. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I've never watched and never pay any attention to them.

But is Reggie going to speak tonight?

sweabs
07-17-2005, 04:19 PM
As long as Reggie is involved, I'll be watching.

Los Angeles
07-17-2005, 04:39 PM
So maybe that's the purpose: to give star athletes a chance for exposure and camera time. If that's all it is (like the oscars) that's fine. It just doesn't make sense to give people trophies for something they've already won trophies for - uhm, no offense reg. :zip:

Dangit, where's my Debbie Downer avatar when I need it. :mad: ;)

shags
07-17-2005, 04:51 PM
So maybe that's the purpose: to give star athletes a chance for exposure and camera time. If that's all it is (like the oscars) that's fine. It just doesn't make sense to give people trophies for something they've already won trophies for - uhm, no offense reg. :zip:

That's pretty much what I see it as. Kind of like the Oscars. Although they do give best team, best coach, best game for the entire year, regardless of sport. Kind of a nice refresher on the year. I know as a Piston fan, having LeBron say "DEEEEEEEEEEETroit BASK - ET - BALL" when the Pistons won team of the year last season was a great capper on the Pistons playoff run. I'm sure the Reggie moment will be similar for Pacer fans. A GREAT moment, no question.

sweabs
07-17-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm sure the Reggie moment will be similar for Pacer fans. A GREAT moment, no question.

Too bad I won't be able to see it; just checked the TV schedule and it is no where to be found.

TSN (our version of ESPN) has Women's golf slotted for that time?!? I wonder if that will change come 9:00pm though? I sure hope so.

grace
07-17-2005, 06:39 PM
I watched last year. I don't remember why. Jamie Fox was the host and he was damn funny!

Kegboy
07-17-2005, 06:42 PM
I watched last year. I don't remember why. Jamie Fox was the host and he was damn funny!

Let me be your tennis ball

:lmao:

heywoode
07-17-2005, 06:57 PM

I think the whole point is that after the head-to-head (or team-to-team) competition, the sports genre in general comes together to celebrate the moments and games and athletes that rose head-and-shoulders above the rest. What's so hard to understand about coming up with a "best moment", "best game", or "most dominant performance"? Not to mention the Lifetime Achievement-type awards....

I don't necessarily watch, but I think it is a great idea, and a great way to get to see athletes in a different way than simply in a uniform, in direct competition. I like that, and I like seeing recognition for excellence in any way.....We didn't win the title, Reggie didn't win MVP or anything else, but there is still an avenue to give credit for a fantastic moment.

Plus, think of all the cash ESPN makes from it!!

pacerwaala
07-17-2005, 09:06 PM
That is one fair and deserving award. Reggie's last game was a classic the way he played, the way it ended, the way the crowd cheered, the opponents cheered.

THis is taken for granted, but ONLY a few atheletes have gone out on top leaving everybody asking for more. If he had a 3- 9, 9 pt perfomance, it is very easy to forget.

The judges made a very wise decison.

Lord Helmet
07-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm watching right now. They are doing a sketch right now, making fun of the movie "Hooisers" .

:unimpress

indytoad
07-17-2005, 09:52 PM
I wager Reggie was on the screen for less than 10 seconds...

IndyToad
Spending 30 minutes liquefying vegetables

Lord Helmet
07-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Also, the Reggie award was just about 12 seconds. :unimpress They ran through a bunch of awards on screen. And, they went to his and it was on screen for a few seconds, then it goes to another......

I guess I thought they were going to have people announce it, and him come up......

Lord Helmet
07-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Yeah, they had a run-down for about 12 awards, I guess the "smaller" ones. :unimpress And, Reggie's was on, of course. :unimpress

The ESPYS tonight really got me in a good mood when I tuned in earlier, when they mocked everything the movie, "Hoosiers" is, in a sketch. :sarcasm: :unimpress

Oh well, at least Peyton's having a good time.

Anthem
07-17-2005, 10:52 PM
I thought the Hoosiers bit was funny.

FiestyFosterFanatic
07-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Someone want to post the Hoosiers bit?

Lord Helmet
07-17-2005, 11:04 PM
I thought the Hoosiers bit was funny.
I always take things the wrong way. ;)

grace
07-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Someone want to post the Hoosiers bit?

It wasn't that funny. Any redeaming qualities it had were ruined by keeping in the kiss. After a life spanning 80 years I'm sure the actress can die a happy woman because she got to kiss Matthew Perry. :rolleyes: ;)

THE funniest part of the show was near the beginning when DeWayne Wade won his award. My first thought was "damn, he looks like a pimp." Then I saw the guy next to him in the white suit with a pink tie and pink trimmed hat. Now THAT is what (I can only assume) the well dressed pimps are wearing now days. It would have been perfect if he was wearing Brian Billick's rings.

I was actually quite pissed off when I realized Reggie wasn't even there. To make matters worse after listening to Jessica Simpson talk for 30 seconds I feel like I've lost 50 IQ points.

8.9_seconds
07-18-2005, 12:48 PM
THE funniest part of the show was near the beginning when DeWayne Wade won his award. My first thought was "damn, he looks like a pimp."

haha, thats exactly what I thought too