PDA

View Full Version : Pacers to sign 6'8 Chinese point guard Jian Zhang Yi?

Will Galen
07-16-2005, 05:14 PM
China Sports has learned that one of China's top basketball players Jian Zhang Yi is headed for a try out with the Indiana Pacers. Zhang Yi is a 6'8 point guard under contract the last 6 years to the Beijing Golden Tigers.

Zhang Yi was born in Beijing in 1983. When he was still a child, he showed great interest in basketball. He was also the tallest kid in his age group and when he was seven, he was sent by his father to a professional training school. In 1997, at the age of 14, he was selected by the Army to play on the youth team, however due to thyroid problems he was hospitalized. A year later he was signed by the Beijing Golden Tigers

Between 1998 to 2004, inspired by Zhang Yi, the Golden Tigers secured all the championships in a row in the Beijing basketball league, known as BBA here. Zhang Yi sat out the 2004-2005 season because of a broken leg.

In the 2003-04 BBA (Beijing Basketball Association) season, Zhang Yi led the league in assists 13.5, and steals 5.3, and ranked 4th in scoring (22.4 ppg).

He was even more dominant in the championship series, where he led the Tigers to a 3-1 victory over the Sharks, earning the Tigers sixth straight BBA championship.

In that four-game series, he averaged 21.3 points, 11.4 assists, 5.8 rebounds, 4.3 blocks, and 3.4 steals.

In the clinching 128-122 victory, Zhang Yi recorded 34 points, 11 rebounds, 14 assists, 6 steals, and 5 blocked shots.

For the playoffs, he averaged 18.9 points, 10.2 rebounds and 13.8 assists.

http://www.chinasports/go/tch/adigestpa/rty.com/
-----

BeastoftheEast
07-16-2005, 05:18 PM
6'8 PG WTF

Jermaniac
07-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Why cant we just sign a PG who has played in the NBA and proven him self here. But if we sign this dude it better not me for more then a mil or 2.

Ultimate Frisbee
07-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Interesting... I wonder if his game will translate to the US... I don't think he played in the Olympics last year...

sweabs
07-16-2005, 05:20 PM
I guess we've given up hope on Saras ;)

Sounds like he might have some injury/health problems. Also, talk about inflated stats!

Kstat
07-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Yi haw.

scar
07-16-2005, 05:43 PM
I like the 13.5 assists per game!

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Were too cheap to sign a real PG, you can steal these foreign players for next to nothing. It's no different than companies in America who only hire hispanic workers because they can get them cheaper, its sad the Pacers are going to this method of madness too. :rolleyes:

foretaz
07-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Were too cheap to sign a real PG, you can steal these foreign players for next to nothing. It's no different than companies in America who only hire hispanic workers because they can get them cheaper, its sad the Pacers are going to this method of madness too. :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :crazy:

indygeezer
07-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Qing ni...Wo hue shuo Zhonguahua bu hen hao. Wo hen ben.

Can I get some courtside tix?

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:14 PM
It's true, there's no other way to slice it. This chinese fella plays against ZERO competition. That's probably why he's been putting up these great stats and no NBA team is interested. I guess Pacer management must be bored if they are willing to sign this clown.

indygeezer
07-16-2005, 06:15 PM
It's true, there's no other way to slice it. This chinese fella plays against ZERO competition. That's probably why he's been putting up these great stats and no NBA team is interested. I guess Pacer management must be bored if they are willing to sign this clown.

Tell it to Yao................

or it could be total misdirection on the P's brass part.

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Yao is the greatest thing China has ever sent here and he isn't even that good of an NBA player. Plus I thought the Pacers were a defensive team? Jian wouldn't know defense if it bit him in the ***.

"In the clinching 128-122 victory, Zhang Yi recorded 34 points, 11 rebounds, 14 assists, 6 steals, and 5 blocked shots. "

I picture that game looking like the Rookie vs Sophomore game except the players have FAR less talent.

Kstat
07-16-2005, 06:19 PM
In all fairness, Yao was putting up Wilt Chamberlain numbers in China.

Also, judging by what I saw of team China last year, there is a very big talent gap between Yao and his countrymen.

Also, the next quality Chinese guard I see will be the first.

Then again, Yi could be the second coming of Oscar Robertson. Who knows? I haven't seen him play.

One thing I do know is I could probably walk to the park right now, pick up 11 random players and we could probably compete in the chinese league. It's that freaking bad.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Anthony Johnson could put up 30, 15 and 4 blocks per game over there, with some 50-point games thrown in if he ever decided to get serious.

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:23 PM
In all fairness, Yao was putting up Wilt Chamberlain numbers in China.

Tayshawn Prince would put up Chamberlain numbers in China

Kstat
07-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Tayshawn Prince would put up Chamberlain numbers in China

I think you and I could put up Jordan-Pippen numbers.

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I think you and I could put up Jordan-Pippen numbers.

It seriously wouldn't take much. I'd feel pretty confident that me, kstat, Marcus Fizer, Carlos Delfino, and Kenny Anderson could how our own in a China professional basketball league. Throw in Chris Anderson as our Center and were world champs.

foretaz
07-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Yao is the greatest thing China has ever sent here and he isn't even that good of an NBA player. Plus I thought the Pacers were a defensive team? Jian wouldn't know defense if it bit him in the ***.

"In the clinching 128-122 victory, Zhang Yi recorded 34 points, 11 rebounds, 14 assists, 6 steals, and 5 blocked shots. "

I picture that game looking like the Rookie vs Sophomore game except the players have FAR less talent.

sounds like u belong in the scouting department of an nba team....especially since u know how this kid plays defense....and have the assessment of yao that u do...an nba team would obviously value ur knowledge and input....detroit probably could use a good scout...

tell me again....just how many times have u seen the kid play???

Kstat
07-16-2005, 06:28 PM
It seriously wouldn't take much. I'd feel pretty confident that me, kstat, Marcus Fizer, Carlos Delfino, and Kenny Anderson could how our own in a China professional basketball league.

Agreed. But Darko still rides the bench.

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:31 PM
sounds like u belong in the scouting department of an nba team....especially since u know how this kid plays defense....and have the assessment of yao that u do...an nba team would obviously value ur knowledge and input....detroit probably could use a good scout...

tell me again....just how many times have u seen the kid play???

I probably could be a scout, I've seen lots of basketball in lots of countries, including China.

I've never seen this guy play and I don't have to. Basketball in China is just bad, really bad. Do you honestly think this guy is going to beat out Tinsley or AJ for any minutes on this team? I would bet my left nut he doesn't.

Kstat
07-16-2005, 06:33 PM
I probably could be a scout, I've seen lots of basketball in lots of countries, including China.

I've never seen this guy play and I don't have to. Basketball in China is just bad, really bad. Do you honestly think this guy is going to beat out Tinsley or AJ for any minutes on this team? I would bet my left nut he doesn't.

The sad thing is, China is still king of Asian basketball.

Korea is still letting its prime minister draw up plays and workout routines....

foretaz
07-16-2005, 06:34 PM
well at least it probably wouldnt cost us 20 million like a certain number 2 draft pick is costing one of our division rivals....and he certainly couldnt be any bigger bust than that guy...

is there any doubt that anthony johnson would put up better numbers against the chinese national team than a certain number 2 draft pick that cant even compete in the summer league????

im tellin ya paceraz....you could get a job as a scout if u dont mind ur check coming from michigan...

foretaz
07-16-2005, 06:36 PM

do u think they would bring him in to do that? odds are he might be invited to training camp....and if really lucky steals the 3rd pg slot...

that being said...aj most likely wont be around...so that point will be moot...

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:40 PM
that being said...aj most likely wont be around...so that point will be moot...

Well, that may be the case but until he's not around, this is a pointless signing for the Pacers. I'm not sure what you meant by "if you don't mind having your check coming from Michigan" comment?

Kstat
07-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Well, that may be the case but until he's not around, this is a pointless signing for the Pacers. I'm not sure what you meant by "if you don't mind having your check coming from Michigan" comment?

Because everyone that disagrees with him is a Piston-loving communist.

foretaz
07-16-2005, 06:42 PM

you are more than qualified to be a scout for a certain nba team from michigan ;)...given their lack of success in the draft....hence the check statement...

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Because everyone that disagrees with him is a Piston-loving communist.

:laugh:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess since I'm not anti-Pistons my opinions shouldn't be taken seriously around here...

Ultimate Frisbee

... when you happened to go to China... ??

Seriously.. how do any of us know if this guy is any good? The olympic team didn't do very well last year, but I don't think this guy was on the team.. Of course, judging by the USA's performance, we suck too....

Kstat
you are more than qualified to be a scout for a certain nba team from michigan ;)...given their lack of success in the draft....hence the check statement...

Yeah, Prince and Okur turned out to be total busts....

Maxiell looks like another scrub too. Acker was a waste of a pick as well.

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:44 PM

lol, I gotcha now....

foretaz
07-16-2005, 06:45 PM
lol, I gotcha now....
;)

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:47 PM

Seriously.. how do any of us know if this guy is any good? The olympic team didn't do very well last year, but I don't think this guy was on the team.. Of course, judging by the USA's performance, we suck too....

I grew up in a Military family, moved to lots of countries when I was younger and since I was always a big NBA fan here, naturally I took to basketball in other countries.

foretaz
07-16-2005, 06:48 PM

i would seriously doubt any of us have seen him play....i also would seriously doubt there is much to this....and whatever it is, it likely wont amount to much....

i mean we have chris thomas on the roster right now and he looks to be a possibility for training camp....so the standard isnt very high...like i said...training camp isnt that big of a deal...and hell....what have u got to lose????

Ultimate Frisbee
07-16-2005, 06:52 PM
I grew up in a Military family, moved to lots of countries when I was younger and since I was always a big NBA fan here, naturally I took to basketball in other countries.

ah.. ok

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 06:53 PM
i would seriously doubt any of us have seen him play....i also would seriously doubt there is much to this....and whatever it is, it likely wont amount to much....

i mean we have chris thomas on the roster right now and he looks to be a possibility for training camp....so the standard isnt very high...like i said...training camp isnt that big of a deal...and hell....what have u got to lose????

That's the only positive thing, we got nothing to lose. I really doubt this guy would require a great deal of money to sign. I'd be real interested to watch this cat play, considering his height and atleast he has high assists totals. I just can't see this guy being physical and having the ability to "D" up. That's just a sterotype though maybe.

foretaz
07-16-2005, 06:58 PM
That's the only positive thing, we got nothing to lose. I really doubt this guy would require a great deal of money to sign. I'd be real interested to watch this cat play, considering his height and atleast he has high assists totals. I just can't see this guy being physical and having the ability to "D" up. That's just a sterotype though maybe.

there....much much better than ur initial post....this is about as accurate as u can get....u have to assume that the pacers scouting staff has watched him play....

and they feel just as u have mentioned in this post...that is, if there is anything actually to the report....

aceace
07-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Who says he's going to play the point here, at 6'8" and 20+pts a game he could play the 2 and have great passing skills to boot. If we sign him for NBA minimum money and he works out, great! If he doesn't he can go back to china and be a superstar. Its not costing us anything to bring him here.

owl
07-16-2005, 07:22 PM
According to the article the guy is 22 years old. Interesting if nothing else.

owl

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Who says he's going to play the point here, at 6'8" and 20+pts a game he could play the 2 and have great passing skills to boot. If we sign him for NBA minimum money and he works out, great! If he doesn't he can go back to china and be a superstar. Its not costing us anything to bring him here.

Good point, at 6'8 he could be very versitile. After talking about this guy I want to see him play now. :-p

Another positive is his age

foretaz
07-16-2005, 07:26 PM
its just a tryout....

how come i cant find out anything on this guy????

i cant even find the team or the league...

and the link doesnt work for me either....hmmmm

owl
07-16-2005, 07:27 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

Whenever you gamble my friend you lose, especially when betting body parts.

: 0

owl

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 07:28 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

Whenever you gamble my friend you lose, especially when betting body parts.

: 0

owl

I figure If I lose the left, I'll still have the right so no worries.. ;)

The link doesn't work for me either BTW

Will Galen
07-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Being the forum party is now in full swing this is a heads up! Read the letters in the link in the first post of this thread. This was a joke for the Digest party.

Last year the Pacers traded Al Harrington for Stephen Jackson the day of the digest party. Some people didn't believe the trade had happened.

I wanted to mess with the party again, thus I made this this post up. I didn't expect there to be 400 plus hits on this thread on a Saturday during the summer, especially with so many going to the party.

(giggle, giggle, snort)

sweabs
07-16-2005, 09:48 PM
:mad: I should have gotten that.

Very creative, Will. Oh yeah, and what am I doing home on a Saturday night in the summer anyway?

:disappoin

PacerNthaDesert
07-16-2005, 11:05 PM
damn you

:D

chinapacers
07-17-2005, 07:33 AM
As you can see in my name, I am from China. I haven't heard of any name close to Zhang YI or Jian Zhang Yi in China's basketball association or similar organizations. Please don't be fooled by this piece of coverage.

There won't be any dominant PG in China. PG is the worst position in a Chinese basketball team, even in the champion team of the year. I am from the city where the team won this year's championship, so I know quite a lot about Chinese basketball.

There won't be any Chinese point guard visiting USA, let alone Indiana.

Besides, there is no team in China called Golden Tiger, the only similar name is South China Tiger of Canton(not Beijing), the team in my city. And, South China of Canton won 2003-2004 over another competitor but not Shark (Shark is the name of a Shanghai team). They won the championship this year again.

Will Galen
07-17-2005, 04:34 PM
As you can see in my name, I am from China. I haven't heard of any name close to Zhang YI or Jian Zhang Yi in China's basketball association or similar organizations. Please don't be fooled by this piece of coverage.

Anybody that read the whole thread wasn't fooled. Plus anyone that read the URL wasn't fooled.

Plus some people that were fooled are acting like they weren't. An e-mail confirmed my thoughts.

PacerNthaDesert
07-17-2005, 05:14 PM
I was fooled, even though I know how bad Chinese basketball is most of the time. :laugh:

It was a nice way to spend 30 minutes though, i had nothing better to do.