PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Green -- Unimpressive so far

Roy Munson
07-15-2005, 06:46 PM
For everyone (including myself) who was wishing the Pacers were going to pick Gerald Green with the No. 17 pick...I don't think so.

In five games for the Celtics in the Las Vegas Summer League Green hit 14 of 38 shots from the field, averaged 6.4 points, grabbed a grand total of 7 rebounds in five games, and dished out 2 assists (that's total assists, not average).

For someone who is supposed to be the next McGrady he's off to a slow start. I watched his game last night on NBATV and he did an awful lot of standing around. I think the Pacers did a good job of resisting the temptation of going for the flash while opting for the more solid, mature player. Actually, it appears that a lot of teams had him accurately assessed.

foretaz
07-15-2005, 06:48 PM
yea....but that dunk....:sarcasm:

croz24
07-15-2005, 06:52 PM
i've read every analysis draftexpress has had of green and they have come to the same conclusion...they kid is unmatched athletically, but he's looked very unimpressive and totally 'lost' out on the court. however, not as bad reviews as darko has received btw.

Jermaniac
07-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Dont you say that around PD, dont you know Gerald Green had a great dunk so there for he is better then Danny Granger and is the next T-Mac.

sweabs
07-15-2005, 06:58 PM
I just finished watching his game against Phoenix.

Let me say that he looks like he has the potential to be a great offensive talent in the league. He does have a jump shot. It could definitely use some work, but he can hit shots. He also has a very quick first step, and can slash to the bucket nicely.

However, as the stats prove - the kid just doesn't pass the ball. He is either pulling up for the jumper, or slashing to the rim. Maybe he's just trying to impress everyone because it's summer league, but I guess we will have to wait until the season starts before we make any final judgements.

The one thing that stood out to me most, after watching this game against the Suns was his poor excuse for defense. He's flat out not good. He can't really keep up with his man 1-on-1...either that or he's not trying. He doesn't seem to move his feet well when guarding his man, which often results in a blocking foul, or more commonly using his hands to catch up and defend.

I'll admit, I'm not impressed thus far, but it's one summer league game. There is plenty of basketball left to play...and he'll always have the mystique of being a young, highschool kid. Who knows?

Shack80
07-15-2005, 06:59 PM
We got the right guy for our tema, if we were rebuildinga work in progress player like Green would have been a great pick. I too cringed a little when we passed him, but am more pleased all the time.

Shade
07-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Green is going to take time to develop. That's a big reason we passed on him. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Now, Darko, on the other hand... :devil:

foretaz
07-15-2005, 07:19 PM
I just finished watching his game against Phoenix.

Let me say that he looks like he has the potential to be a great offensive talent in the league. He does have a jump shot. It could definitely use some work, but he can hit shots. He also has a very quick first step, and can slash to the bucket nicely.

However, as the stats prove - the kid just doesn't pass the ball. He is either pulling up for the jumper, or slashing to the rim. Maybe he's just trying to impress everyone because it's summer league, but I guess we will have to wait until the season starts before we make any final judgements.

The one thing that stood out to me most, after watching this game against the Suns was his poor excuse for defense. He's flat out not good. He can't really keep up with his man 1-on-1...either that or he's not trying. He doesn't seem to move his feet well when guarding his man, which often results in a blocking foul, or more commonly using his hands to catch up and defend.

I'll admit, I'm not impressed thus far, but it's one summer league game. There is plenty of basketball left to play...and he'll always have the mystique of being a young, highschool kid. Who knows?

sounds like he could be benders short cousin...

Anthem
07-17-2005, 10:59 PM
He's not supposed to be any good for a couple of years yet.

Believe_in_blue
07-17-2005, 11:17 PM
I think that Green has more overall potential than Granger. With that said, I think that Granger will reach his full potential, and Green will end up being a streaky player, but never reach his full potential.

Another thing is that Green has more pressure on him than Granger. Green's athleticism and the fact that he has been compared to T-Mac has termendousally raised expectations for him. Since Granger fell a little in the draft, and since he went to a deep, championship contending team, his expectations are significantly lower than Greens. With all of those factors Granger is sorta flying under the radar, not a whole lot is expected from him right away, so any noise he makes on the Pacers is going to raise some eyebrows.

indytoad
07-17-2005, 11:23 PM
True Green hasn't played well, but Granger hasn't even played at all. The jury's still out.

IndyToad
Turned it blue

Fool
07-18-2005, 08:42 AM
SWEET! Another font changer!

Shack80
07-18-2005, 09:04 AM
SWEET! Another font changer!

Sigh. I feel your pain. apparently some need to try to stand out by using obnoxious colors and/or font sizes.

DisplacedKnick
07-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Considering T-Mac averaged 7 points and 4 boards/game as a rookie and often looked lost on the court - but was an athletic monster, I'd say Green's still on track.