PDA

View Full Version : Sportscenter reporting that Stan is out - Riley is in.

Los Angeles
07-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Make fun of me all lyou want for giving any merit to ESPN - but did anyone else see sportcenter tonight?

It seemed to be all speculation, but the concensus was that Riley was going to fire Stan and replace him.

Thoughts?

Brian
07-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Well I havent seen that particular segment.But I did see Stein on there saying that Van Gundy wasnt 100% that he would be coaching the team this coming season,and blah blah.

But either way,Van Gundy is gonna be picked up by someone.

Seattle?,Detroit?,..etc...who knows....but this guy wont be on the market for long.

FiestyFosterFanatic
07-14-2005, 11:44 PM
That's bull**** for Van Gundy. He is a good coach, took that team last year to the playoffs, and took this year's team to the ECF and a 60+ win season and then he gets fired? I hope he can land somewhere and stick it to Riley.

Shade
07-14-2005, 11:48 PM
The only surprising thing is that Riley moved to the bench before Isiah did. :uhoh:

Young
07-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Riley shouldn't do this. Like TruWarrier said Stan is a good coach.

This ticks me off because with Larry Brown possiably leaving Detroit Stan would likely go there. I was hoping Flip Saunders would land the job there because he is a pretty decent coach but not as good as Stan.

Jermaniac
07-14-2005, 11:49 PM
I hope that this is true and that a bunch of the Heat players get pissed off by the move.

indygeezer
07-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Van Gundy to coach the Knicks.......

How's that for a headline?

OK Rim...I'm sorry, I was just joking. Man get up off yer knees...that's pathetic.

sweabs
07-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Wow, that's unexpected (for me at least).

Usually I hear rumblings of these things beforehand...but this one just popped out of no where. I must admit, I'm a little surprised. Reports always seemed to suggest that Riley was content in the front office, and admired the fantastic job Van Gundy was doing.

I think Stan deserves a little more respect. He did a great job coaching that team a couple years ago and leading them to an exciting playoff run. He also did an admirable job for his first year with Shaq and an injury-plagued roster that almost knocked off the Pistons.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Shack80
07-15-2005, 12:37 AM
I think that is a mistake for the heat, they are putting things together for a solid run. Oh well, let the ego run wild.

BabbleOn
07-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Super Mario Van Jeremy will never coach in Detroit. He said disparaging things about the franchise and the fans. Plus, he was not impressive during the ECF. NY can have him.

foretaz
07-15-2005, 07:09 AM
maybe isiah isnt as dumb as we think he is....maybe all the larry brown talk has been a bit of posturing on his part....maybe he had a clue about the van gundy situation in miami....and wanted to see how it played out as well....maybe his two top candidates, in his mind, were brown and van gundy...

naaaa....zeke isnt that smart....hes just been waiting on brown...

bread
07-15-2005, 08:31 AM
This issue has been hot down here for weeks. All of the sportstalk shows keep saying the same thing... If Riley wanted to stop all of this talk he could (even though he's the one that started it). All he has to do is come out and say he isn't going to coach, but he hasn't. They even had Jeff Van Gundy on the Dan Lebatard show a couple of weeks ago and he was pretty pissed about the whole thing and said that his brother was being disrespected. He also took a jab at Riley by saying "It's not surprising though". :-o

Most here believe (and so do I) that if Shaq and Wade were healthy in the ECF this whole thing would not be happening because there's no way you remove a coach that got you to the Finals. I think Riley sees that there is a chance to win a title now and his enormous ego is telling him that he should be the one to win it, not Stan, because of all the years he put into the organization. I think he's being an a$$. He quit on the team 2 years ago when things weren't going well and gave the team to SVG who was able to take them deep into the playoffs both years. Now he wants his name on the marquee because Stan has a chance to do something there that he couldn't.

What a Richard Cranium!

bread
07-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Here's the latest story from today's Sun-Sentinal. It may be his strongest "denial" thus far but it's still way short of saying "I'm not coaching this team. Stan will be the coach. Period."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-heatnot15jul15,0,2704301.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Riley has no plans to change coaches

By Michael Cunningham
Staff Writer
Posted July 15 2005

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=text vAlign=top>

Amid increasing media speculation that Pat Riley plans to replace Stan Van Gundy as Heat coach, Riley issued his strongest denial yet on the matter Thursday.

Heat spokesman Rob Wilson said Riley, in Los Angeles with the team's summer-league entry, told him the report and speculation about Riley's plans are false.

<!-- Ad Space: html.ng/tag=std&site=sunsentinel&color=none&edition=newspaper&content=sports&channel=main&adtype=cube&adsize=300x250 --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=315 align=left bgColor=#666666 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5 bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD colSpan=3>http://adserver.trb.com/ads/cube/advertisementht.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=5 bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD width=300 bgColor=#ffffff><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://s0b.bluestreak.com/ix.e?jss&s=499515&u=&n=2005.7.15.12.48.29.0&cltk="></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>http://s0b.bluestreak.com/ix.e?ir&amps=499515 (http://s0b.bluestreak.com/ix.e?hr&s=499515)</NOSCRIPT><TD width=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=5 bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD colSpan=3>http://adserver.trb.com/ads/cube/advertisementhb.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=4>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- end cube wrapper --><!-- HTML ad style --><!-- /Ad Space: html.ng/tag=std&site=sunsentinel&color=none&edition=newspaper&content=sports&channel=main&adtype=cube&adsize=300x250 -->
"Stan is our head coach," Riley said through a team spokesman. "We don't plan on making a change."

Riley said has no plans to coach the team, according to Wilson.

The latest report was by ESPN analyst and former Heat broadcaster Jack Ramsay, who said on the air Thursday that Riley would return to coaching. Ramsay still covers the NBA and maintains close relationships in the Heat organization.

Speculation about Riley's plans started in June when he said he would take a more active role with the team next season. Later, Riley said he simply meant he wanted to assist Van Gundy but wouldn't say what those contributions would be and didn't directly address the issue of a possible return to coaching.

The controversy surfaced again Monday when Van Gundy was vague about his status, saying in an interview that he was the coach "right now." Van Gundy declined to say whether he had sought a clarification of his status from Riley.

ESPN ratcheted up the Riley talk this week with frequent on-air debates by its analysts and personalities about the subject. One analyst, Marc Stein, said the buzz in "NBA coaching circles" was that Riley would replace Van Gundy.

Ramsay chimed in Thursday, saying Riley liked his front-office responsibilities but missed coaching.

"I think it's his decision," Ramsay said on the air. "He's going to go back to the bench."

Riley, who also has coached the Lakers and Knicks, ranks second in NBA career regular-season (1,110) and playoff (155) victories. He had a 354-270 record with the Heat from 1995-96 to 2002-03.

Riley abruptly quit as coach less than a week before the start of the 2003-04 season and named Van Gundy, his assistant for the previous eight seasons, as his successor. Van Gundy guided the Heat to a 42-40 record and a berth in the Eastern Conference semifinals, the Heat's first playoff appearance in three years.

Last season the Heat, after acquiring center Shaquille O'Neal, won 59 games and went on to lose to the Detroit Pistons in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just PR talk. Of course SVG is the coach and Riley doesn't plan on coaching the team, but that doesn't mean that SVG will be the coach or that Riley doesn't plan on not coaching the team either. And it would sound a little more sincere if Riley himself actually said it instead of the team spokesman. Imagine Conrad Brunner saying something like this concerning the Pacers. Would it make you feel any different? Me either.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

foretaz
07-15-2005, 09:48 AM
if riley is contemplating coaching again, i wonder how he would feel about the knicks???? he would be able to get more money there than anywhere...and they have such a great nucleus ;) :D :D :D

maybe thats isiahs master plan...