PDA

View Full Version : Foster Recovering from Hip Surgery

Will Galen
07-14-2005, 09:38 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/foster_surgery_050714.html

Foster Recovering from Hip Surgery

By Conrad Brunner | July 14, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff Foster is on the road to recovery.
The Pacers' center is expected to be at full strength for training camp after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right hip last week.

"The good news is we have two-and-a-half months before training camp," said Coach Rick Carlisle, "so we're going to take it slow and gradual and make sure, step-by-step, that we're going at the right pace."

Foster averaged career highs of 7.0 points and 9.0 rebounds last season, starting 43 of his 61 games played. He missed the first month of the regular season while recovering from surgery on the same hip.

"It went great," said Athletic Trainer Josh Corbeil. "It's going to be slow, to make sure he heals right because this is the second procedure, but he should be ready for training camp."

In 38 starts, Foster averaged 8.4 points and 9.8 rebounds. Veteran free agent Dale Davis took over as the starter for the final six weeks of the regular season and playoffs. Foster averaged 18.8 minutes, 5.9 points and 7.4 rebounds in the postseason.
----------

It occured to me after reading this that Foster won't be in any trades until he can pass a physical.

Los Angeles
07-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Same hip huh?

Did anyone even see this coming?

So much for my belief that Foster had great trade value.

Old as Dirt
07-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Why do all the basketball players waite a month or two after the season to go to have something operated on?

Unclebuck
07-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Yes I saw it coming he was hobbling the whole season. He was not running as smoothly or as fast as he has in the past. He was playing injured the whole season.

Unclebuck
07-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Why do all the basketball players waite a month or two after the season to go to have something operated on?

Because the training staff and doctors want to see if things can heal on their own with rest, and often to do that you have to wait 6 weeks or so.

Old as Dirt
07-14-2005, 09:53 PM
ok UB thanks for the information.

ChicagoJ
07-14-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't pay much attention to Foster's stats, but we was clearly hobbled all season. Although he had some games with gaudy rebound numbers, I thought he was much less effective than he was in 03-04.

Shack80
07-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Jeff will be back, he had a good season, maybe not great. He is a great role player for us, a great match with JO in the 4.

foretaz
07-15-2005, 07:19 AM
there is no doubt in my mind that foster will be 100% this coming year...you hear all the 'being careful and taking the right amount of time to make sure hes healed' talk??? just another reason the medical staff was revamped...it was probably deemed that guys were allowed to come back to soon from injury....now while everyone understands how desperate we were for players...the fact he was allowed to come back to soon and then was reinjured, combined with some other apparent snaffus, is probably why we saw the changes made...

its also apparent people are a bit on eggshells....bird evidently has mandated that the injury thing will be better from here on out....or else...seems to be given alot of care to making guys are truly healed before theyre brought back....

i personally think bird was fed up with all the injury situations, and feels some of it couldve been avoided with better care and prognosis....given all bird went thru in his career, he certainly seems to have some very strong feelings where the subject is concerned....and i have a feeling the misdiagnosis of JT brought back memories from his own playing days...and he vowed that those sorts of things wouldnt happen anymore....JMO...

grace
07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Um, isn't this how last season started?

:zip:

Kegboy
07-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Mr. Optimist: He's a milk drinker, he'll be fine.

Mr. Pessimest: Yeah, he's a milk drinker, and he still needed two surgery's in less that a year on the same bone. Maybe milk ain't all it's cracked up to be.

SoupIsGood
07-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Mr. Optimist: He's a milk drinker, he'll be fine.

Mr. Pessimest: Yeah, he's a milk drinker, and he still needed two surgery's in less that a year on the same bone. Maybe milk ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Mr. Obvious: I think he just has a bad hip.

grace
07-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Mr. Obvious: I think he just has a bad hip.

Just like Jonathan has a bad knee.

Shade
07-16-2005, 12:40 PM
So, the current injury count is:

Foster - hip
Bender - knee
Granger - knees

At least, that's what we know of for the moment.

Hicks
07-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Granger has one bad knee, not two. If anyone, Bender should be listed as both knees.

Jon Theodore
07-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Foster just bought a new house recently in North Harbour, Noblesville Indiana.

Basically, I live down the street from him. I literally grew up in the house that Foster is purchasing. My best friend lived there. His dad is a multi-millionaire who ran Olinger Distribution. It is a huge mansion on Morse Reservoir, right across from the dam. Kind of interesting tidbit, I thought i'd share.

Bball
07-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Um, isn't this how last season started?

:zip:

Ummm Let's see...
The big question is whether Artest will be able to shelve his hotheaded ways and focus his energies on basketball. Last summer: SAME

The Pacers couldn't beat the Pistons in the playoffs so the question is if the addition of Sjax would make a difference. Last summer: SAME

There are questions about Harrison's work ethic and weight. Last summer: SAME

Foster has just had hip surgery. Last summer: SAME

Bender has knee problems but all is looking great in the media... tho he'll be held out of games. Last summer: SAME

There are questions about Tinsley's ability to run the point and his ability to stay healthy. Last summer: SAME

A draft pick that we've been told would've been a top 10 pick fell into out laps deep into the draft. Last summer: SAME

Pacers have salay cap/luxury tax concerns. Last summer: SAME

I see no comparison to last off-season.... :headinsand:

Bball :zip:

Unclebuck
07-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I could not agree more, we are in a time warp. Every question we had 12 months ago we still have today. Nothing has changed in the past 12 months. Nothing

diamonddave00
07-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Well except one big one -will Reggie Miller be a big contributer to the Pacers? We know the answer to that one.

Also think since David Harrison , arrived at Rookie/free agent camp thinner dispite rehabbing his knee, he appears to have a little more desire to get in condition than we thought last year.

Danny Granger's knee does not bother me. I've had several surgeries , rehabbing is the key to them healing correctly. Granger rushed back too early ,fact the knee is 80% strength can be fixed. The more important note is its structually fine and he did no damage to it playing on it at 80%.

Anthem
07-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Agree with Diamond Dave. We've stopped asking "Will Reggie come off the bench?"

indygeezer
07-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Agree with Diamond Dave. We've stopped asking "Will Reggie come off the bench?"

Now it is ....Will Reggie come back if it looks like we could win it all? Say, sometime in April.

MagicRat
07-18-2005, 11:12 PM
I saw Jeff today while I was out and about. I asked him how the hip was doing and he said it was doing all right......Not a very interesting story, really, but I thought I'd share it.......

Kegboy
07-18-2005, 11:55 PM
I saw Jeff today while I was out and about. I asked him how the hip was doing and he said it was doing alright......Not a very interesting story, really, but I thought I'd share it.......

Now, see, if you were more talkative like Peck you'd at least have a funny story to tell us.

MagicRat
07-19-2005, 01:27 AM
Now, see, if you were more talkative like Peck you'd at least have a funny story to tell us.

I guess I could've gone with "Hey, I hope you're here next year", but I didn't want to upset him.......

Unclebuck
07-19-2005, 09:47 AM
I saw Jeff today while I was out and about. I asked him how the hip was doing and he said it was doing alright......Not a very interesting story, really, but I thought I'd share it.......

See that is the sort of inside information you just don't get any place else.