PDA

View Full Version : Pacers to give Artest tryout at power forward

Will Galen
07-14-2005, 04:15 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050714/SPORTS04/507140435/1088

Pacers to give Artest tryout at power forward
New position: Ron Artest, who usually plays small forward for the Pacers, says he doesn't mind trying to play power forward. -- Sam Riche / The Star

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

The Indiana Pacers say they want forward Ron Artest to get used to playing in a team setting again after being suspended for most of last season.

They are also going to use him at power forward during their summer league, which starts Friday in Minneapolis. Artest has usually played small forward.

"Ronnie has played the 'four' some in the past, and it's something we'll look at in the future also," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "In summer league, you're always sizing down one position. The 'twos' play the 'three.' The 'threes' play the 'four' and so on. The only position that doesn't change is point guard."

Artest's strength and ability to score and defend in the post allow him to take on players who are several inches taller.

"They asked me to play some power forward and I said fine," Artest said. "I think Mark Aguirre and Charles Barkley did it. Most of the power forwards in the NBA, as far as weight, I'm right up there with them. I wouldn't mind playing it if I have to."

Although it has been against lesser talent, Artest has had success at power forward during the team's rookie/free agent camp this week. The Pacers hope to use him, there at times next season when they go with a small lineup.

"Ron and David Harrison have worked well together in practice," said Pacers assistant coach Dan Burke, who is coaching the summer league team with fellow assistant Chuck Person.

"We hope to carry that into the regular season with Ron and Jermaine (O'Neal) playing together. That will give us a more versatile lineup on the court. Now is the time to find out if it can work."

Working with the rookie

Burke and Person may be coaching the summer league team, but Carlisle is doing some coaching himself.

Carlisle spends time after practice working with rookie Danny Granger, usually long after other players have departed.

"I do it during the season, too, but that's something I do a lot of in the summer," Carlisle said.

Granger isn't playing in the summer league because of a knee injury that hasn't completely healed, but Carlisle puts the 17th pick in last month's draft through non-contact fundamental drills.

"I'm getting a good feel for Danny's skill level and working on different things," Carlisle said. "He's a guy that's very skilled and he's been picking things up very quickly."

Bender will play

Forward Jonathan Bender, who is trying to work his way back from two injury-filled seasons, is expected to play in the Pacers' last two summer league games. Bender isn't taking part in the rookie/free agent camp at Conseco Fieldhouse.
-----

Before anyone else says it, it must mean the Pacers are thinking of trading JO. Of course I think that is balderdash! Unless it's for Garnett.

Jermaniac
07-14-2005, 04:41 AM
It means that after Jermaine goes out all our PF suck so we have to play Ron at PF. Thats what it means.Also means we can go small, JO-Ron-Jack-Freddie-Tinsley. No trade is happening dont get excited.

Will Galen
07-14-2005, 04:54 AM
It means that after Jermaine goes out all our PF suck so we have to play Ron at PF. Thats what it means.Also means we can go small, JO-Ron-Jack-Freddie-Tinsley. No trade is happening dont get excited.

Don't get excited! Don't get excited! Man we are getting Garnett! Whoopie!

Way to go Bird!

Should I put some smiley's in this post, or will everyone understand? I bet not, but nah no smileys.

canyoufeelit
07-14-2005, 05:04 AM
Well this had to happen. If you recall the last time the Pacers were seriously contending for a championship, JO was playing C while Al was the somewhat undersized PF in crunch time. Best lineup on the floor when the game's on the line.

able
07-14-2005, 05:34 AM
What you CAN derive from this is that talks with DD are not going as smooth as thought.
Foster is not a force @ PF and Cro is out so that leaves..............................?

With Granger, JJ and Jax capable of playing the 3 we have enough depth at hte 2 & 3 to move ron over for stretches and despite sizeloss, he might do some damage there.

JO is going nowhere

Eindar
07-14-2005, 06:21 AM
Bird said earlier in the year he'd like to see a more up-tempo style of play. This is just us copying the Suns and playing undersized guys. Of course, the problem is, we don't have a small forward who averages 10 boards per game. Or, it could just be that we're trying to free up more time for Granger. We'll see

foretaz
07-14-2005, 07:31 AM
ive been saying it for quite some time....

i think we will see a lineup from time to time that looks like this...

jo
artest
granger/jj
jack
tins/f. jones/saras;)

and im very curious to see how it looks and performs...

Unclebuck
07-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Some of you are reading way too much into this. First it is only summer league. So let's see what happens in the fall. But if you remember last season even after they signed Dale, the Pacers coaching staff tried to go small, but Cro was unable to produce late in the year, so they played JJ a lot at power forward. So yes it makes sense to try Artest at the power forward. Artest is more than capable of playing that position

BillS
07-14-2005, 09:09 AM
I think it also means that they see Granger as possibly being an immediate offensive help from the outside at 3, so moving Ron in closer to the basket is the logical move.

It is pretty much the opposite of what I was hoping for (Ron on the outside so he can defend against the break), but it isn't illogical.

Gamble
07-14-2005, 12:17 PM
PF is obiviously our weakest postion on the floor as far as scoring but i wouldn't
think Ron would be all that effective at PF. He can post up but he has trouble with
guys 6'll. Rasheed being on of them. I think you take his advantage away
from being a bully at the SF to a average weight with no height PF.

sweabs
07-14-2005, 12:22 PM
PF is obiviously our weakest postion on the floor as far as scoring but i wouldn't
think Ron would be all that effective at PF. He can post up but he has trouble with
guys 6'll. Rasheed being on of them. I think you take his advantage away
from being a bully at the SF to a average weight with no height PF.

He would have to play a role similar to what Marion did this year with Phoenix. It's not like Ron, or Marion for that matter can take guys into the post with their back to the basket, and do some hook shot over their taller defender. But what Ronnie can do, is square up, and work on his man face-to-face, where he will most likely be quicker and strong enough to establish good position.

Ronnie has never had trouble barelling through people near the baseline to get to the hole.

3ptmiller
07-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Some of you are reading way too much into this. First it is only summer league. So let's see what happens in the fall. But if you remember last season even after they signed Dale, the Pacers coaching staff tried to go small, but Cro was unable to produce late in the year, so they played JJ a lot at power forward. So yes it makes sense to try Artest at the power forward. Artest is more than capable of playing that position

Yea its true, even we have summer leagues and thats where you can test out players in different styles of play, mixing starting players, player positions & strategy.. just to find out what style of play can be the most effective and what players can do on different positions. U can say that Summer League is when Coaches become DJs and start mixing some plays to see how the music flows...

Los Angeles
07-14-2005, 01:26 PM
OK - offense is offense. But what the heck are we going to do on the other end of the floor. Ron is a perimeter defense mad-man. Do we put him on the PFs and Cs in the league? If he's a PF in a lineup and then defends the perimeter, who defends the middle?

tora tora
07-14-2005, 01:31 PM
OK - offense is offense. But what the heck are we going to do on the other end of the floor. Ron is a perimeter defense mad-man. Do we put him on the PFs and Cs in the league? If he's a PF in a lineup and then defends the perimeter, who defends the middle?

:chin:

foretaz
07-14-2005, 01:31 PM

if ron is asked to defend power forwards he will lose his size and strength advantages to a large degree....however he should have a quickness advantage over most of these guys....

however right now im mostly concerned about our perimeter defense....it was noticeably weak last year and with our current point guards(except for freddie) it will probably continue to be a problem area...and if saras is added it will still be a problem....

beast23
07-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Jeez folks!

It's not like we're going to play 48 minutes with a small lineup. The starting / primary lineup will still be Foster or DD / JO / Artest / Jackson / Tinsley.

The Pacers are just determining the capabilities of their players so that they can go to a small lineup for a few minutes here and there when necessary or advantageous.

And with Artest at PF, it's the same lineup that many of us proposed for a small lineup months ago.

Los Angeles
07-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Two guys with titty avatars in a row responded to my post.

COINCIDENCE?!? I think NOT!

:)

Los Angeles
07-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Maybe they should try Bender at PG next?

:whoknows:
:montieth:

JAMoore
07-14-2005, 06:19 PM
I agree I think Ron could play PF if we go to a small lineup.

But lets look at this from a different slant. Burke said Artest and Harrison had played well together. Since we don't have any other good PF on the summer league team, maybe by playing Artest at PF they can get a feel for how Harrison and Oneal will play together...you know, 2 low post scoring threats. Just a thought.

Jon Theodore
07-14-2005, 06:36 PM
are you sure that makes sense. Playing ron at PF allows them to see how Harrison and O'neal work together? I don't think so.

I hope your not saying Ron is comparable to O'neal as far a post threat is concerned. I don't think that post made sense. Hey tora how'd you get so many hot girls for avatars.

BRING BACK THE BLOND ON THE BEACH WITH HUGE.....

PacerMan
07-14-2005, 06:48 PM
:chin:

Awesome pair of ...... names you got there tora!

beast23
07-14-2005, 07:06 PM
However... some of these avatars can be dangerous for those of us who view the forum during lunches or breaks in action at work.

Current HR regulations being what they are and all...

That's why I have everything turned off... safer that way.

ChicagoJ
07-14-2005, 07:10 PM
However... some of these avatars can be dangerous for those of us who view the forum during lunches or breaks in action at work.

Current HR regulations being what they are and all...

That's why I have everything turned off... safer that way.

Ditto.

Kegboy
07-14-2005, 08:24 PM
This is nothing more than experimentation. We've got enough 2/3's as it is, we're just trying different things.

SoupIsGood
07-14-2005, 10:13 PM
I hope your not saying Ron is comparable to O'neal as far a post threat is concerned.

You are right. Ron usually goes toward the basket off of a post-up. Let's hope Jermaine figures that out sometime. :-p

Los Angeles
07-14-2005, 10:16 PM
You are right. Ron usually goes toward the basket off of a post-up. Let's hope Jermaine figures that out sometime. :-p
ZING!

Shack80
07-15-2005, 12:44 AM
This is nothing more than giving him some looks at 4, mixing things up and moving players around could be a good thing. Harder to make game plans against. I have no doubt Artest will be the starting 3, but sliding him to 4 in a small lineup to mix stuff up could be exciting and give teams a hand full. We have a young energetic lineup, I want to see Rick use it. Glad to see them doing this.

ChicagoJ
07-15-2005, 09:51 AM
I wonder which team asked us to audition Ron at the "4" spot?

That opens up several more trade possibilities, doesn't it?