PDA

View Full Version : Hate the beach...

Vicious Tyrant
07-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Just came back from a week of family reunion (in-laws) in Cancun.

Clearly, some people just love the beach, the sun, the salt water, etc. But I HATE it. I think the beach is the most boring thing in the world, plus its waaaay too hot, plus you've always got either lotion or sunburn or sunscreen or something all over you. Plus sand everywhere, you can't ever wash it all off. Granted, there is a lot of eye candy around, but there's also a lot of really ugly overweight people in skimpy outfits (I won't mention which category I fall into...). The food's great, as long as you avoid the american chains - but then you have to worry about germs and diareahha (SP?).

All things considered, I'd rather just stay home and rent some movies.

Knucklehead Warrior
07-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Just so there's balance in the universe -- I love the beach. :cool:
It's relaxing and warm. I take a nap or read a book and just listen to the waves. I go where there are few other people to bug you, but then I also go in Jan or Feb when an 80 degree day is heaven. I do agree about the lotion and the sweatiness. And you left out about the bugs that bite.

And nobody knows how to spell diarrhea anyhow, maybe not even Webster. Many many years ago when I was a federal employee at a boring job, I would sometimes call in sick and I would always tell them I had diarrhea, even if it was something else, because they had to fill out a form and nobody could spell it. Then the next day my first chore was to sign the form and I could always start my day with a chuckle.

cramerica
07-13-2005, 03:15 PM
The only thing I don't like about the beach is when you get sand everywhere. Not a big fan of it.

I'm used to the heat so that doesn't bother me, but I love going out in the waves. I would never buy a house near the beach due to the threat of having it blown away in hurricanes.

Overall, I like the beach. Just have to work on that sand part, but unfortunately I think it's going to be around for awhile.

Suaveness
07-13-2005, 03:15 PM
I went to Cancun last year and loved it. Beaches are fun for me, so long as I don't go too far into the water.

cramerica
07-13-2005, 03:17 PM
And you left out about the bugs that bite.

Yea, that part sucks. One thing that I'm not to fond of is the threat of jelly fish.

sweabs
07-13-2005, 03:50 PM
I love the beach, and everything about it. During the summer, I'm usually there 3-4 times a week playing beach volleyball, and in tournaments on the weekends.

It's a great workout, you get to work on your tan, and it's the best game in the world (with basketball of course).

And need I say more about volleyball girls?

Zesty
07-13-2005, 03:52 PM
I was in Cancun in February and loved it, though I only went to the beach a couple times, and both times it was as the sun was going down and I was just taking a walk with my gf. I generally agree with the sentiment that the beach is boring and that sand can eat it.

Vicious Tyrant
07-13-2005, 03:52 PM
I went to Cancun last year and loved it. Beaches are fun for me, so long as I don't go too far into the water.

Why not go deep in the water? That's the one redeeming feature the beach has. I do enjoy snorkeling. Shark-a-phobia?

Gyron
07-13-2005, 04:03 PM
I love the beach, and everything about it. During the summer, I'm usually there 3-4 times a week playing beach volleyball, and in tournaments on the weekends.

It's a great workout, you get to work on your tan, and it's the best game in the world (with basketball of course).

They have beaches in Canada?

Wow, thats gotta be kinda wierd going to the beach in snow boots and a parka.

Vicious Tyrant
07-13-2005, 04:04 PM

Well now, let me say this. I grew up spending my summers in New Jersey, where the beach is a lot of fun - not unbearably hot, lots of vendors and activities, fun surf to play in. I enjoy all that. I'm not a monster, for the love of pete.

But when you get down to the Caribbean, people are flocking there and spending big bucks to just lie around where its too hot for any activities, there are no boardwalks or fun things to do, and they just sit there.

In full disclosure, I should point out that we weren't in Cancun proper, where there probably is a lot to do. We went on out and stayed at Isla Mujeres, where things are more "rustic" and "authentic". Translation: Boringer and less air conditioned.

sweabs
07-13-2005, 04:07 PM
They have beaches in Canada?

Wow, thats gotta be kinda wierd going to the beach in snow boots and a parka.

Sometimes I don't even need to wear my snow boots because the walk is relatively short from the beach to my igloo!

Diamond Dave
07-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Love it. Absolutely love it. I spent 2 consecutive weeks on the beach this summer (1 in N. Carolina, 1 in FL on the Gulf). Holden Beach North Carolina is my favorite place on earth.

Next year I'm going to Montego Bay, Jamiaca for my honeymoon. :dance:

sweabs
07-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Well now, let me say this. I grew up spending my summers in New Jersey, where the beach is a lot of fun - not unbearably hot, lots of vendors and activities, fun surf to play in. I enjoy all that. I'm not a monster, for the love of pete.

But when you get down to the Caribbean, people are flocking there and spending big bucks to just lie around where its too hot for any activities, there are no boardwalks or fun things to do, and they just sit there.

In full disclosure, I should point out that we weren't in Cancun proper, where there probably is a lot to do. We went on out and stayed at Isla Mujeres, where things are more "rustic" and "authentic". Translation: Boringer and less air conditioned.

I completely understand. I'm not one for just laying around and doing nothing. I find it boring as hell. If I want to get a nice tan, I need to be playing/doing something. I'm not going to waste a full day just laying there.

I definitely agree with you on that point - whenever we're on vacation I cannot believe the people who do nothing but lay down and sleep on the beach when there are beach volleyball courts, swimming pools, soccer nets, golf, etc. to play/do!

Gyron
07-13-2005, 04:21 PM
:laugh:
Sometimes I don't even need to wear my snow boots because the walk is relatively short from the beach to my igloo!

Since86
07-13-2005, 04:21 PM

Honestly, I don't know what that has to do with the beach.

BTW, getting hit by a jellyfish SUCKS! I will never voluntarily go back to Myrtle Beach SC again, because of it. I really don't enjoy lifeguards telling me to **** on the side of my neck to get rid of the rash. Plus their tenicles leave you with nasty cuts.

Gyron
07-13-2005, 04:25 PM

BTW, getting hit by a jellyfish SUCKS! I will never voluntarily go back to Myrtle Beach SC again, because of it. I really don't enjoy lifeguards telling me to **** on the side of my neck to get rid of the rash. Plus their tenicles leave you with nasty cuts.

If you had any real freinds they'd **** on you so you didn't have to do it yourself.....:laugh: I must say you are very talented to be able to do that by yourself.....Although I have been told a time or two to "go **** on yourself" but I didn't have a jelly fish sting, so I think they might have been confused...:-p

Since86
07-13-2005, 04:29 PM
If you had any real freinds they'd **** on you so you didn't have to do it yourself.....:laugh: I must say you are very talented to be able to do that by yourself.....Although I have been told a time or two to "go **** on yourself" but I didn't have a jelly fish sting, so I think they might have been confused...:-p

Well, let's just say I have a gift. :devil:

I was just glad that someone was smart enough to make a lotion that rids the poison. I might have been walking around with a 2lb growth on the side of my neck for the fear of having bad aim and hitting myself in the eye.

Vicious Tyrant
07-13-2005, 04:33 PM
So all that pissing on myself I already do has healthful benefits??? Awesome! My therapist will be so happy to hear it!

Harmonica
07-13-2005, 04:41 PM
I love being near the ocean, but hate the beach experience—the sand, the sunscreen, the blazing heat, the hoards of people. The beach at night is nice, especially with the right company. And dining in a restaurant or having drinks overlooking the ocean is magical. I love the drive on the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway). It's invigorating to just pull over, walk down to the water and take it all in, or drive up into a canyon road across from the ocean and look at it from high above—it almost feels like you're on the Mediterranian.

Will Galen
07-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Love it. Absolutely love it. I spent 2 consecutive weeks on the beach this summer (1 in N. Carolina, 1 in FL on the Gulf). Holden Beach North Carolina is my favorite place on earth.

Unoh, here comes another little Peck.

Diamond Dave
07-13-2005, 05:58 PM

Well perhaps you should take your lifeguard's advice and start pissing on your neck and not in your eyes so you'd be able to see that Montego Bay, Jamiaca is one of the largest beaches in Jamiaca.

SoupIsGood
07-13-2005, 06:39 PM
I like the beach, I even like the sand. The one thing I don't like about the beach is when the water is cold.

I love Seagulls and Pelicans. :)

I'm with Harmonica here, the beach at night is fantastic. Especially during spring break at Panama City. :dance:

SoupIsGood
07-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Well perhaps you should take your lifeguard's advice and start pissing on your neck and not in your eyes so you'd be able to see that Montego Bay, Jamiaca is one of the largest beaches in Jamiaca.

I think he was making a funny.

I think.

Los Angeles
07-13-2005, 07:00 PM
The beach isnt' for everyone, but it's definitely for me. :nod:

I swam with dolphins on Sunday. Came within 10 feet. No way a movie rental tops that. :twocents:

ChicagoJ
07-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Me = beach bum wannabe.

Jay's_Wife@Section204 = "But that's too far away, we're not moving there."

Me = :(

Unclebuck
07-13-2005, 08:31 PM
I love being near the ocean, but hate the beach experience—the sand, the sunscreen, the blazing heat, the hoards of people. The beach at night is nice, especially with the right company. And dining in a restaurant or having drinks overlooking the ocean is magical.

I feel the same way. My favorite times are early morning just when the sun comes up and early evening. But at noon, it is not my favorite place

Los Angeles
07-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Me = beach bum wannabe.

Jay's_Wife@Section204 = "But that's too far away, we're not moving there."

Me = :(
I heard the same song for years.

Then one brutal Chicago January I brought my wife along on a business trip to LA and we stayed on Venice beach. 18 months later we were living here.

She easily fell for my trap. Muhahaha.

Its amazing how often the family comes to see us (and NOT the other way around, BTW) now that we live by the beach.

ChicagoJ
07-13-2005, 08:51 PM
I tried like crazy last August when we were in Manhattan Beach. No luck.

You're right, though; I'll try again in the wintertime.

Vicious Tyrant
07-13-2005, 09:44 PM
What is wrong with all you people - are there no sane beach haters out there????

The beach deserves its own rabbit with a pancake or prince with a hairlip or whatever else the he77 that all means.

MagicRat
07-13-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm not a big beach fan, either. My wife loves to lay at the beach with a book, but I can only take that for so long. One of the many good things about having kids is that it gives me a good excuse for building sand castles..........

Vicious Tyrant
07-14-2005, 10:31 AM
You noticed!!!!

Got this in my email this morning:

"Hello Vicious Tyrant,

We at Pacers Digest would like to wish you a happy birthday today!"

You guys shouldn't have!!

:blush:

MagicRat
07-14-2005, 10:36 AM
You noticed!!!!

Got this in my email this morning:

"Hello Vicious Tyrant,

We at Pacers Digest would like to wish you a happy birthday today!"

You guys shouldn't have!!

:blush:

You know, I thought I had planned ahead and gotten you the perfect gift. Then I read this thread. Guess I'll have to send it back........

http://216.71.212.173/store/media/Sand%20Play.jpg

Since86
07-14-2005, 10:41 AM

Where's all the hostility come from :confused:

Maybe I should of added a smiley, but I thought the sarcasm would be upfront and center.

Vicious Tyrant
07-14-2005, 11:24 AM
You know, I thought I had planned ahead and gotten you the perfect gift. Then I read this thread. Guess I'll have to send it back........

http://216.71.212.173/store/media/Sand%20Play.jpg

:laugh:

Gee, I don't know - I could crank up the heat in the house on a hot July day, rub lotion all over myself, then pour sand all over my crotch and underarms so they chafe painfully. Then follow my kids around with those beach toys all day. I could even set rat traps all over the place that I would have to make sure they don't walk into (to represent the pool, the jellyfish, the glass shards in the sand, the dangerous waves, etc.) It'd be just like a beach vacation!!

Diamond Dave
07-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Where's all the hostility come from :confused:

Maybe I should of added a smiley, but I thought the sarcasm would be upfront and center.

My apologies. Perhaps I was to revved up for my softball game last night. It got canceled by the way. Smileys do always help though. :D :)

Since86
07-14-2005, 12:30 PM
My apologies. Perhaps I was to revved up for my softball game last night. It got canceled by the way. Smileys do always help though. :D :)

:cry: Atleast you had a team that actually showed up. Sunday was a B-E-A-utiful day, and 4 of us showed.

Diamond Dave
07-14-2005, 12:36 PM
:cry: Atleast you had a team that actually showed up. Sunday was a B-E-A-utiful day, and 4 of us showed.

Yeah, all of us were there last night.

However we're having the worst luck with weather. It has rained less this summer than any summer I remember, but yet my team has had 4 rained out games.

Doug
07-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Love, love the beach.

indygeezer
07-14-2005, 12:59 PM
I LOVE the beach....as long as it is not in Indiana. :censored:

My family discoverd The Dunes in N. Indiana a few years back and I gotta listen to it every freaking year. PEOPLE THERE IS NOTHING TO DO THERE!!! It's inland water so it is cold and dirty. The beach area isn't that big...etc. Now, sunset off Mt Baldy is sweet...but that is it! Gimme a warm beach with warm water and like UB and BP said...sunrise/sunset (does anybody hear music?) and I can be VERY happy.
Geezerette still remembers the last time we went to Florida (she was 2...10 years ago) She is my real beach bunny. She absolutley loves the sand and the water.

Los Angeles
07-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Speaking of hte beach, I was walking along the beach the other day and it was really crowded when my wife and I came across a group of kids building a sand castle. One of the kids was a little girl about 7 years old ... and she was completely naked.

I mean completely.

Now, there are a lot of europeans who come here, and there (and sometimes here) european little girls do not wear tops. We've gotten used to that. But this was different. She was totally naked, and WAY too old for that. How clueless do you have to be to let your 7 year old daughter run around on a crowded American beach naked?

I found myself totally looking any direction BUT in the direction of the girl for fear of being accused of being a closet pedophile or something. Afterwords, my wife said she did the same thing. We had a laugh about it.

I mean really, WTF?!?!?

Harmonica
07-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Now, there are a lot of europeans who come here, and there (and sometimes here) european little girls do not wear tops. We've gotten used to that. But this was different. She was totally naked, and WAY too old for that. How clueless do you have to be to let your 7 year old daughter run around on a crowded American beach naked?

And Venice Beach at that!

Doug
07-14-2005, 03:15 PM
I LOVE the beach....as long as it is not in Indiana. :censored:

The lake (Michigan, that is) was 75 degrees over the 4th.

Had a beautiful 4 day weekend. Had a couple of wavy days, so we went body surfing. Had a couple of windy ones, so we got the catameran and windsurfer out. Played a couple of games of volleyball. My brother-in-law brought his boat up, so we did some tubing / skiing. Went for a couple of long walks. Drank a *bunch* of beer. Had a bonfire on the beach. And it was pretty much nice and sunny the whole weekend, except we had a little rain on the 4th.

We were over by east of Mt. Baldy, though, so maybe the dunes proper isn't as nice.

Did I mention I love the beach?

SoupIsGood
07-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Speaking of hte beach, I was walking along the beach the other day and it was really crowded when my wife and I came across a group of kids building a sand castle. One of the kids was a little girl about 7 years old ... and she was completely naked.

I mean completely.

I found myself totally looking any direction BUT in the direction of the girl for fear of being accused of being a closet pedophile or something. Afterwords, my wife said she did the same thing. We had a laugh about it.

I mean really, WTF?!?!?

Just a week or so ago I was at one of those outside showers that you are supposed to jump in and shake the sand off of you, and this mother makes her 8 years old (I'm guessing) daughter strip completely down in the shower! I glanced over, saw her, did one of those "don't label me a pedophile" head jerks and got outta there.

That kind of stuff just dissappoints me, how does she not realize she is too old for that crap? There was a bunch of people around too.

Suaveness
07-14-2005, 07:31 PM
I absolutely love the beaches in Hawaii, they are gorgeous. There was actually a black sand beach, which was amazing to look at. I definitely would love to go again.

sweabs
07-14-2005, 07:57 PM
I glanced over, saw her, did one of those "don't label me a pedophile" head jerks and got outta there.

That's hillarious.

pollardfreek
07-15-2005, 02:01 PM
You beach haters should go to Pismo sometime. I absolutely love going to Pismo. Best beach ever. Hook up a trailer and a couple of ATV's, hit the dunes, swim, play football, and top it off with a bonfire at night. There's nothing like it.