PDA

View Full Version : ABADays in Iraq/cramerica in Qatar

Pages : 1 [2]

Major Cold
03-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for fighting for our freedom.

cramerica
04-25-2008, 08:08 PM
ABA or anybody else...if you are in Qatar, look me up. I'll be here until about May 2009.

heywoode
04-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Every time I hear or read the word Qatar, I think of Transformers. I know it's just a silly movie and you guys are in the sheet for real, but I like the name of that country for some reason.

Stay safe, stay strong, and stay proud. We all ride witcha! Heck, you fellas in the military are half the reason I post Pacemate photos in the first place!

I think I forgot to post any from the last game of the season...Anybody want to see some? They aren't that good, but I was in the sixth row, so they ain't bad either! PM me if you do, as I may not see a post in this thread....

Stay cool, brothas!

cramerica
04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Well, Qatar is a far cry to what it's like in Iraq or Afghanistan. Qatar is sometimes the place where the Army/Marines/etc take r&r. I'm doing a year here but it's not really going to be all that bad. I have so much respect for what the Army/Marines go through.

I haven't seen Transformers, but I am pretty sure it's not the same as the movie. Nothing blowing up or cars turning into fighting robots or anything like that.

Thanks for the pics, post them as much as you can. We in the military definitely appreciate the support that you guys provide to us.

esabyrn333
06-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Well, Qatar is a far cry to what it's like in Iraq or Afghanistan. Qatar is sometimes the place where the Army/Marines/etc take r&r. I'm doing a year here but it's not really going to be all that bad. I have so much respect for what the Army/Marines go through.

I haven't seen Transformers, but I am pretty sure it's not the same as the movie. Nothing blowing up or cars turning into fighting robots or anything like that.

Thanks for the pics, post them as much as you can. We in the military definitely appreciate the support that you guys provide to us.

Yea I know when I got to Qatar on my way back to the states I found myself getting mad at the guys inprocessing us because they where acting like they where in a war zone. I know I probably shouldn't have but after spending 4 months having mortors and rockets going off around me these guys agiated me quite a bit. After seeing the army work and seeing I think about 9 off them lose there life I have nothing but respect for them.

A year there would suck BTW:banghead::banghead:

esabyrn333
06-03-2008, 08:09 PM
I would love to know who decided to but the chow hall next to the sewer lift station. It makes for such a lovely smell as you walk into that place.:hungry::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Gyron
06-03-2008, 08:40 PM
One less over there, my brother got home yesterday from Iraq.

ABADays
06-03-2008, 09:49 PM
ABA or anybody else...if you are in Qatar, look me up. I'll be here until about May 2009.

Isn't that a bit of a long deployment for you?

ABADays
06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
I would love to know who decided to but the chow hall next to the sewer lift station. It makes for such a lovely smell as you walk into that place.:hungry::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Well, I guess you could blame my company.

esabyrn333
06-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Well, I guess you could blame my company.

KBR?? I thought MWR was run by was a goverment run GS system. Everyone I do meet that has been to your gym in Balad says it is by far the nicest and best run in the AOR. Next time I go I hope to go to Ballad. All I ask for over there is a nice gym to live in.

And Pacersdigest to get my fix on the greatest sports teams in world...

You sir are one hell of a strong man to stay as long as you have over there its people like you that let me watch the colts win the superbowl LIVE....supply all the food I could eat and give me the pleasure to share it with with about 50 Army soldiers from Chicago....Needless to say I think I enjoyed the night or should I say early morning much more than those guys...Maybe next time I will get to spend it with some fans of a western confrence team getting whipped up on by my beloved Pacers....

ABADays
06-03-2008, 10:45 PM
KBR?? I thought MWR was run by was a goverment run GS system. Everyone I do meet that has been to your gym in Balad says it is by far the nicest and best run in the AOR. Next time I go I hope to go to Ballad. All I ask for over there is a nice gym to live in.

And Pacersdigest to get my fix on the greatest sports teams in world...

You sir are one hell of a strong man to stay as long as you have over there its people like you that let me watch the colts win the superbowl LIVE....supply all the food I could eat and give me the pleasure to share it with with about 50 Army soldiers from Chicago....Needless to say I think I enjoyed the night or should I say early morning much more than those guys...Maybe next time I will get to spend it with some fans of a western confrence team getting whipped up on by my beloved Pacers....

I prefer to be discreet about my company.

I'm just like you, if it weren't for PD I would have gone crazy long ago. As far as the Colts - come on up on Sundays. We are now about 1,800 strong now. And I can assure you the gym is excellent. You do realize we have the only enclosed handball court in theatre right?

Thanks for all you do. My admiration grows by the day.

cramerica
06-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Isn't that a bit of a long deployment for you?
Volunteered for a year deployment this time. I still don't know why I did it.

Also, I've got no complaint about MWR, KBR, or our services sq. Those guys make things a little better everywhere I've been.

Oh yea, if no PD or crankycolts, it would definitely suck.

ABADays
06-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Volunteered for a year deployment this time. I still don't know why I did it.

Also, I've got no complaint about MWR, KBR, or our services sq. Those guys make things a little better everywhere I've been.

Oh yea, if no PD or crankycolts, it would definitely suck.

What are you talking about? :eek: A year's paid vacation at a Middle Eastern resort. Who wouldn't do that? :p

ABADays
07-01-2008, 10:31 PM
To all my friends in the military:

LSA Anaconda is no more. From here on out it is Joint Base Balad. If you are headed in this direction don't get confused.

BTW - Happy 4th to you all!

Shade
07-04-2008, 01:26 AM
A very happy 4th of July, guys. Keep up the great work. :usa: :fireworks

cramerica
07-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks and you too.

Hicks
07-04-2008, 10:47 AM
:usa:

Trader Joe
07-04-2008, 12:34 PM
:usa:

Gyron
07-04-2008, 02:51 PM
:usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

Thanks for all you do for all of our troops and to everyone serving as well. Happy 4th of July!:usa::usa:

Pacers
07-20-2008, 07:17 PM
ABA, do you know of any Soldier Blogs?

Thanks for watching out for us and doing your thing.

ABADays
07-20-2008, 07:33 PM
ABA, do you know of any Soldier Blogs?

Thanks for watching out for us and doing your thing.

Not personally but I'm sure if you google Iraq blogs or Soldier's blog you will get a ton of them.

I appreciate the thanks.

yinets1860
08-02-2008, 10:32 PM
oh,my god ,

but hope you stay safe in Iraq.

pacerfreak
10-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I've never noticed this thread before, I've always looked down to the Pacers stuff. Now that I know its here.... Thank you for the sacrifices that you've made and are making. As Volunteers you make it safe for my family and I. I never ever want to take our freedom for granted. May God be with you and protect you always!

heywoode
10-24-2008, 02:16 PM
To all in the service:

Could you give me some advice on what photo hosting sites are NOT blocked for you? Flickr? Any others?

I mainly use photobucket, but saw that it is blocked over there and you don't get to see the photos I post. I would gladly switch to a non-blocked site so everybody could get to see them, or at least post them to another site so the military people could see them too.

Do some research and let me know what site(s) you can get to, and I'll check it out and hook it up.

Thanks!

(Know that not a day goes by that most everyone I know thinks about what you all are going through with deployment and prays for you and feels thankful for you all.)

ABADays
10-24-2008, 03:23 PM
To all in the service:

Could you give me some advice on what photo hosting sites are NOT blocked for you? Flickr? Any others?

I mainly use photobucket, but saw that it is blocked over there and you don't get to see the photos I post. I would gladly switch to a non-blocked site so everybody could get to see them, or at least post them to another site so the military people could see them too.

Do some research and let me know what site(s) you can get to, and I'll check it out and hook it up.

Thanks!

(Know that not a day goes by that most everyone I know thinks about what you all are going through with deployment and prays for you and feels thankful for you all.)

As restrictive as we are at this camp I can still get both photobucket and flickr.

cramerica
10-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I am an admin on our network and there are only a few websites I can't get too. Myspace is one of them (not that I care) and photobucket is the other one.

heywoode, I will be happy to be able to look at any personal pics of games but I don't want you to go through any hassle to do that.

Thanks for thinking about it though.

:)

ABADays
10-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Admin. we need to change the title of this thread to ABADays in Iraq/cramerica in Qatar.

cramerica
10-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks ABA...

Just hit month 6 of this deployment....6 more to go.

cramerica
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Small update...

Still in Qatar (been here since last April). Went on some leave back in November and took a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to the carribean. That was a nice break from the 'groundhog day' feeling. I've got about 6 more days until I'm under 100 days left. Won't be home until April.

Hopefully, you can take my name off of this thread for good then which means I didn't have to deploy anymore.

I'm ready to leave this place and get back to some "normal life".

Gyron
01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the update cramerica. Stay safe buddy.

cramerica
04-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Back home in Tucson after a long year. Hopefully this will be my last deployment for a while. You can remove my name from the title. Thanks for the support as usual.

kester99
04-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Welcome back.

ABADays
04-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Well, we are both back so admin it's up to you. Could possibly be a new thread "ABADays in Kuwait". The USO is interested in me filling a position in August.

Hicks
04-23-2009, 03:07 PM
How about a new thread if/when? I'll unstick this one. It's strange though because it's been around forever.

Shade
04-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Welcome back! :usa:

btowncolt
04-30-2010, 10:07 PM
I know this one has been unstickied and pushed down with time going by, but I hadn't heard from ABADays in a while and thought this might bring him back around - did you have to go to Kuwait?

I also wanted to say thanks to him for all of his effort - my Dad has been over in Afghanistan for a long time and is finally coming back in a few weeks. I am guessing from what he's said that a lot of the work that ABADays did made a difference in how some of the things are run at his base.

Bball
04-30-2010, 10:21 PM
ABADays fell ill some time back and I've been worried since we haven't head from him in sometime.

Kemo
04-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Just thought I would give you guys a quick update. Finally got to Iraq about 5 days ago. First few days are quite frustrating. You have to go to a Transition Camp and get processed. It is the most stark, dusty, hottest place I have ever been - plus the wind always blows because it's so open. I had to file for homesteading because I had so much dust in my eyes, lungs, nose and mouth I qualified as a land owner.

After a couple of days, I got transferred to Camp Slayer which was my assignment. Went through the whole processing thing and got to the last stop and they told me I had been reassigned. Great! Camp Slayer was like an oasis in the desert. Anyway, I was a bit pissed because ONCE AGAIN I had to deal with 165 pounds of luggage and equipment.

So back to the Transitional Camp for a day. My new assignment was the Green Zone right in the heart of Baghdad. This is basically a combination of 4 camps and I am now at Camp Prosperity. To get here, you have to ride what's called a Rhino bus - an amour plated bus. Plus, you are required to wear helmet and flack jacket. You know, like riding IndyGo to certain parts of Indy. All in all, it took 5 hours to go 50 miles.

The green zone was a pleasant surprise. A lot of palm trees and lakes. We use a lot of "bombed out" facilities. I kept looking around for General Patton. Some of the facilities we use look exactly like those in the film. For the most part, things have exceeded my expectations. The people I work with in MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) are really good people and the facilities are fine. Right now I kind of rove around to three different ones. Yesterday, one of my journeys was interesting in that a helicopter landed RIGHT behind us on the street.

A couple of friends have asked the question so I thought I would pass along the answers here. Is it really as hot as they say it is? Yes, it is. Average temperature is around 112 but I understand yesterday was 121. You can laugh if you want but dry heat does make a difference. The 112 with about 5% humidity isn't as bad as Indy at 95 with 95% humidity. Do you ever hear explosions? Well, I've only been in Iraq for a week but yes you do. You probably read about the guy who was a human bomb killing 42 people at a recruitment center. That happened about 900 yards away followed by massive gunfire. Do you feel safe? Yes - it's not been an issue with me from day one.

I should be getting my private living quarters within the next couple of weeks where I will have my own internet. Then I can start posting more. Until then - keep posting. Coming to the Digest makes me feel much closer to home.

Thank you for your service to our country ....

I , as an American GREATLY APPRECIATE everything you guys do to keep our country safe ..

Speaking of safe ... You STAY SAFE , keep your eyes peeled , and do whatever you must to return home in one piece ...

Once again Thank You !

Hicks
05-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Thank you for your service to our country ....

I , as an American GREATLY APPRECIATE everything you guys do to keep our country safe ..

Speaking of safe ... You STAY SAFE , keep your eyes peeled , and do whatever you must to return home in one piece ...

Once again Thank You !

He went over five years ago, you can read along and see what's been happening since. I only say that because it seems as if you thought he made this post recently, when in fact it was in 2005.

Kemo
05-01-2010, 12:27 PM
He went over five years ago, you can read along and see what's been happening since. I only say that because it seems as if you thought he made this post recently, when in fact it was in 2005.

ah right on.. lol damn people and their very old thread bumps .. lol..

Either way .. I still hold the same resolve and respect for him and his service to our country regardless of time that has elapsed..

stupid me for not reading the whole thread and paying attention to anything more than the original post..

Reading the last post before mine , I hope he is ok and doing better from his illness

Thanks for informing me though .. heh

vapacersfan
05-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Any updates from ABA?

Los Angeles
05-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Maybe Kaufman knows. I remember they were once in contact with each other.

Hicks
05-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I haven't heard anything in months, either. It's concerning.

vapacersfan
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Not to take away from ABA, but does Kaufman post/visit the site any more?

I hope all is well with ABA.

Los Angeles
05-07-2010, 12:17 PM
According to Kaufman's user page, he was here a few days ago. I've PM'd him to search for ABADays. I know ABADays' first name, but not his last. Anyone want to send me his last name so I try and find news about him?

sweabs
05-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Dang, I used to have a record of his last name somewhere. A long time ago, when I was a new member to the board (and one of the few "foreigners"), ABA sent me an entire package in the mail full of Pacers memorabilia including a jacket, pennant, key chains, beer coolers, etc. We have spoken on-and-off through PMs - but I can't say enough nice things about the guy. Hope he is alright.

Peck
05-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I feel like crap about this. I really should have kept up more with him. When I last saw him at our last party he was in good spirits but was definately fighting with his health.

Actually Jose Slaughter might be able to get some info on him.

Jose????

Hicks
05-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Check your PMs, Los Angeles.

Gyron
05-07-2010, 11:04 PM
IF no else has it, let me know I do. Send me a PM.

I sent him stuff in Iraq and he personally met my brother and made him fell welcome at Camp Anaconda....