PDA

View Full Version : Can someone post Peter Vescey's column

Unclebuck
07-10-2005, 09:46 AM
For some reason I can't get to his column today, I did register but something is wrong.

There is a Pacers mention.

New York Post

scar
07-10-2005, 09:54 AM
New York Post columnist Peter Vecsey (scroll down) (registration required): "At last count, the Wiz had seven offers for Kwame, several of them significant, which summarily erases the Knicks from contention on numerous scores. For some reason, they don't find Michael Sweetney and Jerome Williams ($6.6M/$7M/7.3M) all that appealing. Hearing aides inform me Washington GM Ernie Grunfeld can have his pick of Memphis' James Posey, Indiana's Fred Jones and the Lakers' Caron Butler. "

I got this much, but I don't know if this is what you're looking for or if you're looking for more.

RSmits
07-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Here is the whole article Freddy for Brown, yeah right):

BEHIND THE BENCH: Suprisingly, Knicks assistant coach and longtime Isiah Thomas friend Mark Aguirre isn't in the mix to be the team's new head coach, falling behind Bill Laimbeer, Larry Brown (inset right) and interim coach Herb Williams.
Email Archives
Print Reprint

July 10, 2005 -- LAS VEGAS Following closely on the market-set ting heels of Ray Allen (reclaimed by the Sonics for $80M over five years), Michael Redd (re-enlisted by the Bucks at $90M over six) and Larry Hughes (recruited by the Cavaliers for $70M over five), Joe Johnson is the very next free-agent guard to strike it very rich.
Jerry Colangelo flew into town Friday from his waterfront summer home in Carmel, Calif., for the express purpose of handling the last-second negotiations. According to a source who doesn't believe what's learned in Vegas stays in Vegas they didn't go well for the Suns.

Subsequently, agent Arn Tellem notified the team's CEO his client intends to sign an offer sheet with the Hawks. Come July 22, Phoenix will have 15 days to match once the $70M, five-year arrangement is in place.

Unless the Suns' new ownership is steadfastly opposed to flirting with the luxury tax, much less being engulfed by it when Amare Stoudemire's pending max deal kicks in a year from now, how can the Suns afford not to match?

Johnson became irreplaceable the moment Quentin Richardson was dealt to the Knicks for Kurt Thomas. It's commonly assumed Raja Bell (five years, starting at $4M) is being imported from Utah as an insurance policy in case Johnson is lost, but he's known more for his defense and nastiness than his offense. No way does Bell provide Johnson's versatility.

Another reason for matching is the savings involved. By allowing the Hawks to do the paperwork, the Suns theoretically spend less (one year and two percentage points annually for roughly $15M) than had they signed Johnson themselves for the max-which, obviously, never was the game plan.

Meanwhile, as much as the Wizards revere Hughes' all-around excellence (if you overlook his 29 percent from 3-point range and 62-game average attendance record over the last five years) and as badly as they wanted him to re-up, they should consider themselves lucky he turned down their last proposition of $12M per over six.

Come on; they're already paying Antawn Jamison $13.8 and Gilbert Arenas $10.2M. How many non-centers/macho forwards can you overpay before your salary cap irrevocably resembles the Knicks? It's infinitely more economical (not that difficult, either) to use Kwame Brown in a sign-and-trade to get a big guard instead of squandering cash to make themselves look good to their fans and the media.

At last count, the Wiz had seven offers for Kwame, several of them significant, which summarily erases the Knicks from contention on numerous scores. For some reason, they don't find Michael Sweetney and Jerome Williams ($6.6M/$7M/7.3M) all that appealing.

Hearing aides inform me Washington GM Ernie Grunfeld can have his pick of Memphis' James Posey, Indiana's Fred Jones and the Lakers' Caron Butler.

Money had little to do with Nate McMillan choosing the Blazers over the Sonics. He signed a five-year guaranteed deal (the club owns an option for a sixth) for $25M. Seattle had four years at $18M on the table for over a month and, in the end, says a source, was prepared to match Portland's offer, but McMillan rejected the thought.

"Nate's been unhappy about what's been going on for two years," disclosed one of his friends.

"After he helped recruit Antonio Daniels on the basis he'd be given a legit chance to compete for the starting point job, he was told by management to play the young guys [Luke Ridnour, to name one] after the team got off to a slow start."

As a result, the veterans began to look at McMillan funny; giving players young or old minutes they don't earn almost assures you of losing your team as well as any leverage you might've accrued. After the Sonics slouched into the lottery, McMillan fell into limbo. He had one year remaining on his contract, and team president Wally Walker decided against an extension.

That was twice McMillan felt betrayed by management. Somehow he was able to conceal that resentment throughout last season's startling 52-win finish. But, given the chance to get even and still stay close to his Northwest home of 18 years it finally flashed to the surface.

scar
07-10-2005, 04:26 PM
YAY!

pacerwaala
07-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I am convinced. Donnie shops at the neighbour hood Goodwill store for bargains. I would not mind trading Freddie for Kwame. This guy has the physical tools and hopefully a change of scenery(the successful Pacers franchise) will definitely shore up his mental strength. Even if it does not pan out, we have not lost much. Freddie Jones is good but will never be a star in this league.

I agree with Vecsey on the Wizards dodging a bullet with Larry Huges rejecting their 6yr 72 million offer. Yeah, he has all the stats and the athletic ability but there is something about him that I do not like. He does not have a good stroke. He is good but not at that price.

Gamble
07-10-2005, 05:53 PM
They are about now equal as far as trade value is concerned. I would
hate to give up on Fred though. His 3 point shooting was pretty good before his
hand went bad and you have to love the way he goes to the rim.
Fred does have some mental stability which is a rare trait with this team.
Kwame...not so much.

Kegboy
07-10-2005, 09:01 PM
I think Kwame will follow in the long line of Washington big men who break out once they get out of there. However, what would we do with a poor-man's JO?