PDA

View Full Version : Where is all that $$ coming from--Cavs

indygeezer
07-10-2005, 07:41 AM
Looking at this (From HoopsHype) I'm wondering....Hughes, Big Z, Haslem, and Saras???? How does all that money divide up???
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

"The Cleveland Cavaliers missed out on top free agents Ray Allen and Michael Redd, so their immediate plans now include courting Heat free agent Udonis Haslem. Sources indicate the Cavaliers are interested in setting up a meeting with Haslem to convince the third-year forward he can be part of the team's future, and they could be prepared to offer Haslem more than the five-year, $33 million deal the Heat can offer." Miami Herald

"Word among players is that LeBron James has become a Haslem fan after watching him the past two years and playing with him in the Rookie Challenge games the past two All-Star weekends." Miami Herald

"According to two Eastern Conference executives, the Cavaliers are also in talks with Lithuanian point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius. The European standout is an excellent shooter, but a questionable defender that NBA teams have flirted with for years. Ilgauskas' best friend growing up, Jasikevicius, 29, reportedly turned down an offer from the Boston Celtics. The Indiana Pacers are believed to be offering him a backup role, but he'd like to start. The Cavaliers need a starting point guard and will still have salary-cap room even after a deal is done with Ilgauskas." Akron Beacon Journal
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I wanted to further read the Akron Beacon article but it's a "sign-up" site and I've done that sort of thing enough.
==============

They had about 28M minus, lests say 10M for Hughes = 18M then what for Z? is 12M unreasonable to expect? That would leave 6M to get Saras and Haislem??? It says the Haislem can get 5 @33M from Heat would that be a starting salary of about 5M? So that would leave 1 M for Saras....I think their eyes are bigger than their wallets.

Keeps coming down to minutes IMO. Are we offering a BU role? Or are we telling him he can COMPETE for the starters role? I'm guessing the latter.

Mourning
07-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Looking at this (From HoopsHype) I'm wondering....Hughes, Big Z, Haslem, and Saras???? How does all that money divide up???
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

"The Cleveland Cavaliers missed out on top free agents Ray Allen and Michael Redd, so their immediate plans now include courting Heat free agent Udonis Haslem. Sources indicate the Cavaliers are interested in setting up a meeting with Haslem to convince the third-year forward he can be part of the team's future, and they could be prepared to offer Haslem more than the five-year, $33 million deal the Heat can offer." Miami Herald

"Word among players is that LeBron James has become a Haslem fan after watching him the past two years and playing with him in the Rookie Challenge games the past two All-Star weekends." Miami Herald

"According to two Eastern Conference executives, the Cavaliers are also in talks with Lithuanian point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius. The European standout is an excellent shooter, but a questionable defender that NBA teams have flirted with for years. Ilgauskas' best friend growing up, Jasikevicius, 29, reportedly turned down an offer from the Boston Celtics. The Indiana Pacers are believed to be offering him a backup role, but he'd like to start. The Cavaliers need a starting point guard and will still have salary-cap room even after a deal is done with Ilgauskas." Akron Beacon Journal
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I wanted to further read the Akron Beacon article but it's a "sign-up" site and I've done that sort of thing enough.
==============

They had about 28M minus, lests say 10M for Hughes = 18M then what for Z? is 12M unreasonable to expect? That would leave 6M to get Saras and Haislem??? It says the Haislem can get 5 @33M from Heat would that be a starting salary of about 5M? So that would leave 1 M for Saras....I think their eyes are bigger than their wallets.

Keeps coming down to minutes IMO. Are we offering a BU role? Or are we telling him he can COMPETE for the starters role? I'm guessing the latter.

I wouldn't be surprised it the Cavaliers would succeed in getting Z for about $10mln, which would than give them the option of giving Sarunas not 1, but $3mln. And, yes, I think we are offering a backup role. I can't believe we would be offering a starting job to him with Tinsley here. Btw I hope he joins us, but he'll first have to beat AJ in practice and trainingcamp before thinking of unseddling Jamaal in my personal opinion ;).

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Harmonica
07-10-2005, 10:44 AM
And, yes, I think we are offering a backup role.

Which means, given Tinsley's track record, he'll be starting before long.

FiestyFosterFanatic
07-10-2005, 11:16 AM
They have 8 guys currently on their roster.

Martyna Andriuskevicius
Drew Gooden
Luke Jackson
LeBron James
Ira Newble
Aleksandar Pavlovic
Eric Snow
Anderson Varejao
Larry Hughes

I haven't heard of any of these foreign guys, so I don't know if they have any talent/experience. They have 6 FA's that can be resigned, including Big Z, and only 28 mil in cap space. Unless they are planning on only going 7-8 deep, they need to spread the money around, spending that much on Big Z and Saras or a PF isn't going to make a good team without a deep bench. Big Z has had injury problems, Saras hasn't played a minute in the NBA

diamonddave00
07-10-2005, 11:31 AM
They had 28 mil in signing Hughes at 12 mil and if they got Haslem at 5+ mil that still leaves over 11 mil. An article today said they want Ilgauskas but at under 10 mil a year.

They can resign Z for 9 mil still have over 2 mil for Jasikevicius . Remember they can go over the cap to resign Z as their own free agent.

They can use the vet minimum 1.6 mil slot to fill their roster. Martyna Andruiskevicius, will stay in Europe a couple more years , he not in their current plans just yet. He's a 7'3 c/pf from Lithuiania , and is eventually seen as the replacement for countyman Ilgauskas.

Will Galen
07-10-2005, 11:59 AM

Cleveland believes Haslem would be a better fit with James than their current power forward Gooden, but they don't have to go after Haslem. He's not statistically as good as Gooden. I think they need a point guard more than a power forward.

sc
07-10-2005, 12:16 PM

http://www.bugmenot.com

So you don't have to register.

Gamble
07-10-2005, 05:18 PM
I think the bad feet Z will have no other option. They love that scoring center
but no one else does so its very likely to get him for less than 10 mil.

dipperdunk
07-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Just a guess as I don't have time to check it out but if they had 28m available...

10m- Hughes
10m- Big Z
7m - Haslem
Most of their MLE 4/5m on Saras.

Unless the 28m figure is already including their MLE. They lucked out because they had cap space to spend while Lebron is still under contract for peanuts. Usually your superstar player is already making mega bucks and that kills your chances of adding big time free agents.

Suaveness
07-10-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't understand why people think he is so good. I just think he looked good because Shaq makes everyone look good. :shrug:

beast23
07-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Remember they can go over the cap to resign Z as their own free agent.
That's true. But teams are no longer allowed to go out and sign open market free agents, then finally sign their own free agents, putting them over the salary cap.

If the Cavs sign other free agents first, then whatever is left over is what Z will get.

They just signed Hughes first because they have an ungodly amount of room under the cap.

But clearly, if they sign Z to $10M, give Haslem $5M, then they have a problem giving Saras what he was hoping to get. They would be banking on getting Saras through his association with Z and/or the promise of a starter's position.

sweabs
07-10-2005, 07:36 PM
I don't understand why people think he is so good. I just think he looked good because Shaq makes everyone look good. :shrug:

I agree. Haslem greatly benefitted from Shaq's presence, just like most guys did this year. He has done nothing to make me fear his game, or what it could become.

Personally, I'd rather have Gooden. I thought he had some great games last year (speaking from a fantasy-owner's perspective :D ), and actually rebounded the ball exceptionally well at times. I don't see any need to fork out money to Haslem, when Gooden seems to do just fine.

indygeezer
07-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Just a guess as I don't have time to check it out but if they had 28m available...

10m- Hughes
10m- Big Z
7m - Haslem
Most of their MLE 4/5m on Saras.

Unless the 28m figure is already including their MLE. They lucked out because they had cap space to spend while Lebron is still under contract for peanuts. Usually your superstar player is already making mega bucks and that kills your chances of adding big time free agents.

They don't have the MLE to use do they? You aren't allowed that if you are under the cap IIRC. Am I wrong?

NewType
07-11-2005, 12:14 AM
They don't have the MLE to use do they? You aren't allowed that if you are under the cap IIRC. Am I wrong?

I think you are correct.

Will Galen
07-11-2005, 12:19 AM

No you are right.

They could go over the cap though in signing their own players and then they would have the MLE. The way it works they wouldn't have it this year though, not after agreeing to sign Hughes.

All their players count against the cap until they are signed or waived even if they are not under contract to Cleveland anymore.