PDA

View Full Version : Alan Henderson arrested

Shade
07-09-2005, 02:17 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050707/SPORTS0403/507070465

July 7, 2005

Ex-Indiana star arrested on gun charge at airport
http://www.indystar.com/graphics/clear.gif
<!-- SIDEBAR --><!-- ARTICLE SIDEBAR --><!-- STORY TEXT --> <!--ARTICLE BODY TEXT--> By Phillip B. Wilson
<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write( ''+'phillip.wilson'+'@'+'indystar.com'+' (+)'); //--> </script>phillip.wilson@indystar.com

Basketball star and former Carmel, Ind., resident Alan Henderson was arrested over the holiday weekend at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport for allegedly having a gun in his luggage, a Queens County Criminal Court spokesman said Wednesday night.

Henderson, 32, known for a clean-cut image while playing for Brebeuf Jesuit and Indiana University through 1995, was detained Saturday and jailed overnight, then arraigned and released without bail after appearing in court Sunday, said Patrick Clark, communications director for Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown.

Neither Henderson, who now lives in Florida, nor his mother, who still resides here, responded to repeated telephone calls.

Henderson is charged with second- and third-degree counts of criminal possession of a weapon. If convicted, the maximum penalty is 15 years in prison.

Queens County Judge Joseph Grosso set Henderson's next court date for Aug. 25.

Clark, citing the arrest report, said Henderson presented to airport check-in a black suitcase that contained a metal lock box. Inside was a 9 mm Glock 26 pistol, loaded with 20 rounds of ammunition. There was also a holster for a 9 mm.

It was not known where Henderson was flying or if he had a permit to carry the gun in another state. New York gun laws are considered some of the most stringent in the country, Clark said.

Henderson was stopped at a JetBlue terminal before boarding the flight. After acknowledging that he did not have a valid New York permit or license for the firearm, he was arrested at 3:45 p.m., Clark said.

Henderson, currently an NBA unrestricted free agent after playing last season with the Dallas Mavericks, starred at Brebeuf and IU. He is still Marion County's high school all-time leading scorer with 2,419 points.

Just three weeks ago, Henderson returned to Brebeuf for his 10th youth basketball camp. A day later, the 1991 graduate was inducted into the school's athletic hall of fame.

Playing for coach Bob Knight, Henderson became the only IU player to rank in the top six in career scoring, rebounding, blocks and steals. The 1995 All-American was sixth in career scoring with 1,979 points. He led the Hoosiers in rebounds each of his four years and had a career total of 1,091. In 2001, he was selected to IU's All-Century Team, the best 15 Hoosiers as voted by fans.

The 6-9 forward has been mostly a reserve as a pro. He averaged 3.5 points and 4.5 rebounds as a substitute in 52 games for the Mavericks last season. He spent his previous nine seasons with the Atlanta Hawks. He has averaged 8.6 points and 5.3 rebounds in 563 career NBA games.

Call Star reporter Phillip B. Wilson at (317) 444-6642.

This gets a big 'ol :wtf: from me. Seriously. This doesn't seem to be his style at all. :shrug:

rabid
07-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Talk about retarded..

Who brings a LOADED, UNLICENSED gun to a friggin AIRPORT?? :confused:

Los Angeles
07-09-2005, 02:24 PM
WTF indeed.

This article's fuzzy on some points:

Did he try to declare it got snagged on the technicalities? Was it a gift and he was in complete ignorance about what to do with it (like Harry Connick)? I still wonder what he was thinking at all when he carried a loaded firearm into an international airport in the first place. That's just plain dumb.

Kraft
07-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Clark, citing the arrest report, said Henderson presented to airport check-in a black suitcase that contained a metal lock box. Inside was a 9 mm Glock 26 pistol, loaded with 20 rounds of ammunition. There was also a holster for a 9 mm.

Checking a firearm in your luggage. What to do, what to do ... and all the states think differently.

rabid
07-09-2005, 02:37 PM
I would think they'd go easy on him if he was trying to be honest and check-in his weapon. Still, though...

Los Angeles
07-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Hey rabid - who's the quote from in your sig?

3ptmiller
07-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Not even a stupid person goes to an airport and gets arrested for a gun you know you have in your luggage... this is really mindboggling.. its like he did it in purpise

rabid
07-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Hey rabid - who's the quote from in your sig?

I forget now. Back in the spring somebody posted a really funny article from SI or ESPN and it had this bit about the Pistons' style of play that I found funny. search for the quote and I'll bet you can find the thread here somewhere.

Evan_The_Dude
07-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Maybe he wasn't aware that you couldn't have a gun even in your check-in baggage. I can understand that one. At least he wasn't trying to bring it in his carry on baggage.