PDA

View Full Version : Article on Jalen Rose

Will Galen
07-09-2005, 12:01 PM
http://www.freep.com/sports/umich/rose9e_20050709.htm

PRACTICING WHAT HE PREACHES: Ex-Fab Fiver Jalen Rose earns college degree -- for himself, the kids he coaches, and his mom

July 9, 2005

BY PEGGY WALSH-SARNECKI
FREE PRESS EDUCATION WRITER

The University of Michigan's Fab Five were trash-talking, chest-bumping, baggy-pants-wearing kids. Their swagger and their attitude undoubtedly changed college basketball.

But they were also part of a group whose names were dragged into a scandal that brought shame on U-M, which was sanctioned after some players were accused of accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars while in high school and college.

Fab Fiver Jalen Rose wasn't implicated, but he admits that he's had his own slips and slides, including getting caught hanging around a Detroit crack house while a student at U-M.

But, he said, he's always been aware of athletes' position as role models. He talked to the Free Press about that just before he left U-M in 1994 to accept a $10.2-million NBA contract. And being a role model is why he wanted to talk now about his latest accomplishment.

Eleven years after he quit college for the NBA, Rose graduated this spring, earning a bachelor's of science degree in management studies online from the University of Maryland. A little more than 40% of male Division I college basketball players earn a degree -- and far fewer of the few who make it to the NBA earn their degrees.

"Everything that kids see has an influence, good or bad," Rose said last week while kids as tall as his knees asked him for autographs outside of St. Cecelia's basketball camp on Detroit's west side.

"It's a character issue, a caring issue. If they believe you practice what you preach, it gives your statements a little more value."

He said he'd planned to get his degree when he quit college, but admits that in the early years, "it was mostly just talk."

When he finally got serious about finishing, he took him another 5 1/2 years to work his way through that one last year of college.

"I think it's great. I take my hat off to him. I congratulate him," U-M Athletic Director Bill Martin said Wednesday. "It's even harder if he did it online, simply because of the discipline that it takes to sit down every day.

"It's a wonderful story about Jalen. ... Look what he's done as he matured as a young man," Martin said.

Philadelphia 76er forward and former Fab Fiver Chris Webber, who does not have his college degree, said of Rose and his accomplishment Friday, "It's very important. ...I'm proud of him."

Webber said he has not put the thought of getting his degree out of his mind.

Kids take note
Rose lives in Detroit when he's not playing for the Toronto Raptors. This summer, he's hanging around St. Cecelia's, sometimes playing a little basketball. He's also coaching Team Michigan in the 19-and-under Amateur Athletic Union bracket, which heads to the national championship later this month, he said. It's a team he played for when he was a kid.

At St. Cecelia's, the gym is so small, spectators have to walk on the court to scoot along the sidelines. The sound of gym shoes squeaking on the floor is almost deafening, and the pace of play is ferocious. Old friends constantly stop to talk with Rose.

Kids on the sidelines don't need to be told who he is. And they notice what he does.

"I'm going to try to follow right in his footsteps and use basketball to get me as far as possible," said Walter Williams of Detroit, a student at Wayne County Community College who was watching Rose coach from the sidelines while he waited his turn to play.

"He used basketball to get where he is, but he can always go into the business world if he's got his degree."

Passing along mom's lesson
Being a role model wasn't Rose's only incentive for finishing college. Maybe even more important was graduating for his mom. He never knew his father, he said, but Jeanne Rose ran a tight ship.

"School was always stressed; it was always important. Skipping wasn't allowed," Jalen Rose said, adding that he was a good student at Southwestern High School in Detroit.

"Growing up in a single-parent home, it gives you the opportunity to go astray when your mom's not home," he said. "I had my misses, but someone always got me straight."

Now, he's trying to pass on that ethic. He's endowed a $250,000 scholarship at U-M, Martin said, for students from Detroit. And each year, Rose gives a $10,000 college scholarship to five Detroit-area kids.

Sure it's a tax deduction. But the students sign a contract with Rose to maintain a C average. And he calls them to keep them pumped up about school.

And, OK, it's a Maryland degree, not a Michigan one, Rose concedes. U-M didn't offer a similar online program when he started. "I'm a Michigan grad with a Maryland diploma," Rose said.

"I still bleed maize and blue," Rose said. "I put in three great years with Michigan, and I didn't want it to go to waste."
--------------------

According to Unclebuck, Mark Montieth said he would not be surprised if Rose is back with the Pacers. After reading this it occurs to me that Detroit would have a good shot at him too. If Larry Brown moves on they might even be the favorite.

Los Angeles
07-09-2005, 12:31 PM
I liked Rose when he was here.

There, I said it. :blush:

I didn't like his max contract or some of his play (especially on D). Still, he was an NBA star in every sense of the word (good and bad) but was living in Reggie's shadow. That had to suck for him.

I love the stories about NBA guys finishing school. College doesn't make you a better or worse person. There are many HUGE success stories about folks who didn't attend school. I just like the idea that these guys didn't give up and finished what they started, it's just a "winning attitude" thing that I admire.

On another topic, the NBDL might be a decent haven for talented Bballers that have no interest in attending (let alone finishing) school. It's possible that graduation rates could increase as a result.

Unclebuck
07-09-2005, 12:41 PM
I like Rose the person, did not like Rose the player. Although in a limited 6th man role of playing 25 minutes per game as a scorer, he can be effective, if he accepts that role

indytoad
07-09-2005, 12:54 PM
I like Rose the person, did not like Rose the player. Although in a limited 6th man role of playing 25 minutes per game as a scorer, he can be effective, if he accepts that role

I was about to say the same thing - I would glady accept Rose back if he would accept coming off the bench. And I think Carlisle's presence might help him become a better defender as well.

IndyToad
See right through me

PacerMan
07-09-2005, 01:47 PM
He always seemed like a nice guy. Was active in the community and all that. Take a little "street" out of his game and "star" out of his ego and he could have been a perennial all star.

shags
07-09-2005, 01:52 PM

THAT'S the role I want him to play with the Pistons. Although I think the chances of him getting cut from the Raptors are virtually nil.

The Pacers could trade for him though, so he wouldn't have to be waived.

Will Galen
07-09-2005, 02:06 PM
I would like it if Rose was waived and come here knowing he would come off the bench.

Jeez we would be deep! Word is if we pick someone up that's been waived, we will waive Cro. I would also say we wouldn't resign JJ if we picked up Rose. However, they are saying most players won't be waived until Oct. We would probably need to sign JJ in late July or Aug. Barring trades and other pickups we would look like this.

PF] JO/Bender
SF] Ron/Granger/JJ
C] Foster/Davis/Harrison/Pollard
SG] Jax/Rose/Fred
PG] Tins/AJ/Gill

What kind of rotation would we have?

It would probably be a 4 man rotation of JO, Foster, Davis, and Harrison at the power positions. Harrison would probably get more time than Davis so as to keep Davis fresh for the playoffs.

JO 35 min.
Jeff 25 min.
Davis 15 min.
Harrison 20 min.

At small forward Ron would get about 38 minutes with Granger getting the rest. JJ would probably get spot duty.

Ron 38 min.
Granger 10 min.

At shooting guard Jax would probably get 30 minutes with Rose getting about 15.

Jax 30 min.
Rose 15 min.

At point guard it would be Tins, Rose, and AJ.

Tins 28 min.
Rose 10
AJ 10

To many players and not enough minutes. In fact even without Rose we would have that problem. I think we will do a trade. If not before the season starts then by the trade deadline. Of course if we are rolling along at 33 and 8, which is a slightly better percentage than when we won 61 games, there probably wouldn't be a reason to trade.

Just speculation.

diamonddave00
07-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Found it intresting on WIBC last night when Mark Montieth was hosting , he said Jalen Rose returning to the Pacers was a possibility.

Jalen could fit here off the bench sg/pg/pf . Not saying it happens but if Brown stays in Detroit , I think that rules out him going there.

I've never been a huge Jalen Rose fan,but he's now 33 perhaps spending the last 3 1/2 years in exile with bad teams (Bulls , Raptors) has made him look back an appreciate his days here. Maybe he's ready to cut back on ego and become a true team player, if so he could help this team.

Perhaps if Raptors would take Pollard , Croshere and Fred Jones for Jalen Rose the Pacers might consider it.Both Croshere and Jalen have 2 years left on there deals. Pollard's salary tho one year has little real value against the cap even wehen removed. We know Fred will have to be resigned after this season. So cap hit is actually not that bad. If not Croshere perhaps Bender's comtract can be traded and Croshere waived.

Never know but I'd have to think opportunity to have a real chance at a title ,would change Jalen in a positive way.

Gamble
07-09-2005, 06:40 PM
How would getting Jalen work out in the salary cap. Doesn't this fella have
a sizeable contract. To me we just be exchanging one good piece for another.

PacerMan
07-09-2005, 07:58 PM
No way would I trade Freddie for Jalen even straight up. Freddie is by far the best defensive back court player we have. Freddie will RISE this coming season.
Wait and see.................

Sollozzo
07-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Call me dumb, but I actually liked Jalen Rose the player when he was here.

I know the Pacers got a hell of a deal from the Bulls in 2002, but we traded Brad Miller for garbage, and Artest went crazy.

sixthman
07-09-2005, 08:57 PM
No way would I trade Freddie for Jalen even straight up. Freddie is by far the best defensive back court player we have. Freddie will RISE this coming season.
Wait and see.................

I much prefer Steve Jackson defensively over Freddie, especially with taller guards.

pacerwaala
07-10-2005, 01:08 AM
No Rose. Not again! Please Please Please. Period. Period. Period.

Enuff Already.

Jalen and SJax on the wings. Oh My!. They will cut that ball into two halves and jack up bricks like there is no tomorrow.

indygeezer
07-10-2005, 07:27 AM
No Rose. Not again! Please Please Please. Period. Period. Period.

Enuff Already.

Jalen and SJax on the wings. Oh My!. They will cut that ball into two halves and jack up bricks like there is no tomorrow.

IMO we already have Jalen on the team in the form of Jackson. Except the real Jalen could be a sweat shooter when he wasn't carping at the refs. HAs he given that act up or does he still allow his man to run down for an uncontested layup while he's beyatching at the stripes?
The thought of JR, SJax, JO and to a lesser extent Tins all over the refs just really scares me. And poor Ronnie (who actually never argues a call IMO) would be the one paying the price.
Now, IF JR has cleaned up his attitude, I could welcome him back...and I'd let him compete with Jax for starters minutes.

Besides there used to be a sweet young lady poster name JROSEFAN that got all P off at the trade and left the Indy boards never to be read again. I'd like to see her back, she was a good read.

pacerwaala
07-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Besides there used to be a sweet young lady poster name JROSEFAN that got all P off at the trade and left the Indy boards never to be read again. I'd like to see her back, she was a good read.

"I'd like to see her "back" and she was a good ride, err read! Hmm!

It is a good and funny observation that Ron is the only one that does not complain to the refs.

I woke up from a nightmare last night imagining Jrose back. Don't we all remember how he would break all the plays, pout all the time, driblle till there is 2 sec on the shot clok and then pass or take a wild shot, etc, etc.

I would not sign him if he was available for the minimum because he brings a lot of baggage. Especially to this team, which has a very fragile psyche without Reggie. I have always harped on these forums about NBA players being focussed and having a high concentration level. JRose does not have it at all. Talent does help to get highlights but the ones that have the high concentration level day in and day always win.