Will Galen
07-09-2005, 11:46 AM
http://wwwabqtrib.com

Granger gets video game deal
Pacers contract signed; shoe pact next?

By Jeff Carlton
Tribune Reporter
July 8, 2005

Danny Granger, a gadget and gaming nut, has signed a deal with EA Sports, a maker of video games, his agent said.

Granger also signed his NBA contract with the Indiana Pacers on Thursday, a two-year guaranteed contract likely worth about $2.9 million. The team has two one-year options.

Granger probably is as excited about the video-game deal. The company signed a licensing deal with Granger to use his likeness in its advertising.

Granger is one of three or four rookies EA Sports pursued, said Rob Lefko, the president of athlete marketing for Priority Sports, the agency representing Granger.

"In the world of marketing, the best thing you can do is find good fits that a player can be proud of and feel natural with," Lefko said. "One of the first things we found out was Danny loves video games."

Lefko said he has also been in contact with six shoe companies interested in Granger wearing their gear.

Hicks
07-09-2005, 12:07 PM
These little things encourage me about Granger. Companies like EA et al aren't going to waste their time with rookies they don't expect to be good.

FiestyFosterFanatic
07-09-2005, 12:16 PM
wow, this is the first time a rookie will be on NBA Live's cover I believe.

Hicks
07-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Dwyane Wade will be on the cover, not Granger. I'm not sure how they will use him in the ads. Maybe commercials.

FiestyFosterFanatic
07-09-2005, 12:20 PM
I hope he sings...maybe a duo with Artest?

PacerFan31
07-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Could he possibly be on the cover of there NCAA Basketball game though

Isaac
07-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Could he possibly be on the cover of there NCAA Basketball game though

That's my guess.

Hicks
07-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Why? Wasn't he a mostly unknown in college? Surely a more popular/well-known player would be on the cover.

Lord Helmet
07-09-2005, 02:27 PM
I remember, and I think it was ads either for NBA Live 2005 or NBA Live 2004. They had a bunch of the rookies that were going to be new to the game, and it had them talking, saying stuff like how good they were going to be. Then, it said kind of unimpressed, "Rookies". Then, it started showing the gameplay and what not.

That might be what they'll do.

FiestyFosterFanatic
07-09-2005, 02:37 PM
I'd figure probably Andrew Bogut, or one of the NC guys would be on the NCAA cover.

circlecitysportsfan
07-09-2005, 06:12 PM
These little things encourage me about Granger. Companies like EA et al aren't going to waste their time with rookies they don't expect to be good.

Uh...they did have Chris Jeffries in their advertsing in 02. Who is Chris Jeffries???? :laugh:

rabid
07-09-2005, 06:19 PM
They're probably trying to cover all their bases so that if one of these guys has a break-out year, they already have them under a cheap contract for advertising.