PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Simmons to sign with Bucks.

Will Galen
07-08-2005, 11:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2103984

Forward won most improved honors with

Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Former Clippers swingman Bobby Simmons agreed to a five year, $47 million deal with the Bucks on Friday, his agent Mark Bartelstein said.

"Bobby intends to sign with the Bucks when the moratorium ends," Bartelstein told ESPN.com. "He was very appreciative of the opportunity that the Clippers gave him but felt like this was the best opportunity for him."

The move is the clearest signal yet that the Bucks are serious about competiting for a championship this year. In the past week, they signed the No. 1 pick in the draft, Andrew Bogut, agreed to a six-year, $90 million dollar deal with Michael Redd and began the on the court rehab for point guard T.J. Ford.

The Bucks have two more significant free agents, Dan Gadzuric and Zaza Pachulia, that they are also trying to re-sign.

Simmons will join Desmond Mason, Jiri Welsch and Redd to form a pretty potent combination at the shooting guard and small forward positions. Mo Williams and hopefully Ford will take care of the point. Their only area of weakness now is at the four where Joe Smith is the only big guy holding down the fort.

The loss of Simmons, coming on the heels of the rejection by free agent Ray Allen, is yet another blow to the Clippers. Simmons had a breakout year for them and was a key to their success this season. However, head coach Mike Dunleavy was uncomfortable paying Simmons, who has played well for just one season, that type of money.

The Clippers could also lose free agent Marko Jaric this summer, putting into serious question their hopes of making the playoffs next season.

Simmons won 2004-05 NBA most improved player honors in his second year with the Los Angeles Clippers.

The Bucks also hired Terry Stotts as their new head coach Friday.

ESPN.com senior NBA writer Marc Stein contributed to this report.
------

Jermaniac
07-08-2005, 11:02 PM
LMAO almost 10 million a year for Bobby Simmons

Kstat
07-08-2005, 11:10 PM
What a week for Milwaukee.

Did they overpay for him? ABSOLUTELY.

However, the fact remains they got a top free agent to sign in MILWAUKEE.

When was the last time ANYBODY with 15 teams after him picked the Bucks?

Simmons was a VERY solid player last year. He defends, rebounds and shoots a high percentage. Milwaukee got a quality player, and they weren't going to use the cash on anybody else.

Unclebuck
07-08-2005, 11:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2103984

The move is the clearest signal yet that the Bucks are serious about competiting for a championship this year.

I assume that is a misprint. Bucks might be serious about competing for a playoff spot this year, but their championship chances are zero

Kstat
07-08-2005, 11:13 PM
I assume that is a misprint. Bucks might be serious about competing for a playoff spot this year, but their championship chances are zero

Yeah, that's gotta be a misprint.

The Bucks, depending on how well Bogut does and TJ Ford's recovery, could easily contend for the #8 seed.

Will Galen
07-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Hmmm, Milwaukee needs a power forward and we need outside shooting, what would everybody think of trading Cro for Desmond Mason?

Maybe I better go look and see how he shoots from outside, huh!

sweabs
07-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Wow...I didn't see this coming.

So, where does this leave Desmond Mason?

Unclebuck
07-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Hmmm, Milwaukee needs a power forward and we need outside shooting, what would everybody think of trading Cro for Desmond Mason?

Mason is a outside shooter ?

Will Galen
07-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Desmond Mason shoots .443 FG %, and .125 from three point land. He's was 1 for 8 so he doesn't shoot many from outside. Don't think he would be much help.

Kstat
07-08-2005, 11:24 PM

Last time I checked, Joe Smith was better than Croshere.

Smith isn't an all-star by any means, but he's not horrible, either. He also shoots %80 against division opponents.

Young
07-08-2005, 11:32 PM
I really like Simmions but why the Bucks spent so much on him when they have way bigger needs confusses me.

If they were to overpay someone it should be atleast in a position of bigger need. Antoine Walker, Stromile Swift, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, and Shareef Abdur-Rahim all would have been much better signings for them IMO. Atleast they would fit a position of need.

Suaveness
07-08-2005, 11:58 PM
You know, we are going to have a hell of a division

SoupIsGood
07-09-2005, 12:10 AM
I like what the Bucks are doing. If they catch a few breaks with Ford and Bogut, and make a pretty good PF poof out of nowhere, they'd be on their way to be pretty damn good.

PacerNthaDesert
07-09-2005, 12:14 AM
They should resign Fizer considering you can get him for next to nothing and he is finally 100% healthy from those 2 operations on his knee. Good for the Bucks though, I've always kinda rooted for them.

Jose Slaughter
07-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Dan Gadzuric and Zaza Pachulia could both play behind Smith.

I'm more familiar with Gadzuric than I am Pachulia. Gadz is a pretty fair rebounder & can get out & run the floor. His man to man D is suspect but is improving at helping out from the weakside.

I wouldn't say it would be the best move in the world for them but I think they could live with it if Bogut can hold down the 5.

PacerNthaDesert
07-09-2005, 12:27 AM
I dont know that they can afford Gadz now but Zaza would be a nice even though Orlando is pushing for him.

PacerNthaDesert
07-09-2005, 12:31 AM
I got quite a laugh going to the Bucks board and seeing a thread titled "Can we win the East?"" :laugh:

I love how teams have totally forgot about the Pacers and don't remember how dominate we were 2 years ago and without all the bs from the brawl last season.

Will Galen
07-09-2005, 12:34 AM
I got quite a laugh going to the Bucks board and seeing a thread titled "Can we win the East?"" :laugh:

I love how teams have totally forgot about the Pacers and don't remember how dominate we were 2 years ago and without all the bs from the brawl last season.

There a couple other teams they have to get by too. Like Miami and New Jersey.

Oh, and that team that KStat and Shags root for, whatshmecallit?

PacerNthaDesert
07-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Detroit BASKETBALLLLLLL

foretaz
07-09-2005, 02:22 AM
wow...can u say....'didnt see that one coming'.....

interesting choice on simmons part....

PacerNthaDesert
07-09-2005, 02:39 AM
wow...can u say....'didnt see that one coming'.....

interesting choice on simmons part....

My thoughts exactly, I just kind of assumed the Bucks were done and werent in the market anymore.

Shade
07-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Well, this sucks for us. Cleveland will likely offer a nice deal to Saras now.

PacerNthaDesert
07-09-2005, 02:47 AM

Personally, I hope we don't end up with Saras. Between Jamaal and AJ I think were just fine. :rockon2:

Cactus Jax
07-09-2005, 03:17 AM
Yeah Joe Smith was a complete bust as a #1 pick, but he's still a VERY solid player, and this move easily puts them above the Cavs signing of Hughes.

I have to agree with Kstat on this, they had to overpay but there's no other way they get him.

Detroit, Miami, and Indiana are the clear locks to make it so far. The Bulls still have no idea concerning their inside players, the Wizards just lost a huge piece in Hughes, Boston is sacrificing the present for the future, the Sixers aren't doing much, and neither are the Nets so far.

I honestly see the Bucks falling behind those top 3 teams even if Ford were to not be totally healthy. People forget Maurice Williams didn't do a bad job for them last year, he was actually pretty good.

Mourning
07-09-2005, 07:24 AM
I expect the Nets will do "something", Cavaliers are just starting, Chicago is still busy trying to re-sign it's own and I also don't want to rule out Boston as long as Pierce plays there, furthermore Jefferson and the (other) youngones will have another year under their belt which should improve them overall. Good that they will lose Walker and Payton and hopefully they will loose Pierce to some western team.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Unclebuck
07-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Yeah Joe Smith was a complete bust as a #1 pick, but he's still a VERY solid player, and this move easily puts them above the Cavs signing of Hughes.

I have to agree with Kstat on this, they had to overpay but there's no other way they get him.

Detroit, Miami, and Indiana are the clear locks to make it so far. The Bulls still have no idea concerning their inside players, the Wizards just lost a huge piece in Hughes, Boston is sacrificing the present for the future, the Sixers aren't doing much, and neither are the Nets so far.

I honestly see the Bucks falling behind those top 3 teams even if Ford were to not be totally healthy. People forget Maurice Williams didn't do a bad job for them last year, he was actually pretty good.

I agree with you.

It happens every summer. Teams make a few movies, acquire a few players and just like that fans think their team is going to be good. It does not work that way. Unless you're adding a great proven veteran player like Shaq or Nash, it takes teams quite awhile to improve.

You say well what about the Bulls and Wizards last season they really improved from the prior year. Yes they did. But the Bulls had been building that current team for a few seasons, and many were predicting good things from them for a year or two earlier. Same thing with the Wizards.

As for the Bucks, if everything goes well as far as injuries go, and that team cames togteher, they might win 42 games. But chances are they'll win in the mid 30's

BabbleOn
07-09-2005, 04:30 PM
As for the Bucks, if everything goes well as far as injuries go, and that team cames togteher, they might win 42 games. But chances are they'll win in the mid 30's
That sounds about right. Of course, Milwaukee's ability to be competitive depends largely on Terry Stotts...who is, unless I'm mistaken...quite unproven.

Chances are Porter for Stotts was a noticable downgrade. What a baffling coaching change. Porter took an average team to the sixth spot two years ago - a team no one expected would make the playoffs. As a matter of fact, they were only one Jalen Rose miss away from the 4th spot.

Then they lose TJ for a year AND Brian Skinner (who played his best ball as a Buck). Obviously with all the other improvements within the Conference they failed to make the playoffs, which was OBVIOUSLY all Porter's fault. Stupid.

To be fair, Terry Stotts can't be judged by his winning percentage, as ATL is the only place he's been a head coach.

But all's I'm sayin is that the coaching switch might actually hurt their chances to contend for the playoffs.

Gamble
07-09-2005, 06:29 PM

Was Cleveland even going for Simmons. Their man focus was on resigning
their center. I don't think this has any negative affect on Saranus and
the Pacers. I like the fact that the Bucks are actually climbing up the ladder
but to think that they are contenders is laughable. If anything thier
playoff contenders now. I love how the East is a bunch of crappy teams
with the exception of a few.

MagicRat
07-10-2005, 11:55 AM
The most recent ESPN Magazine Sports Guy article is about Bobby Simmons and how good of a guy he is. My favorite part is that they conducted the interview at The Cheesecake Factory in West Hollywood.

I wonder if they bumped into Harmonica?

pacerwaala
07-10-2005, 04:54 PM
They did overpay Bobby Simmons by a lot. He is probably a 5 million per year player.

Also, I do not want Desmond Mason. He is athletic and will get you couple of highlihgt and Slam Dunk championshisp, but that is about it. He has a very poor jumpshot and poor form. He also does not shoot the three pretty well.

Kegboy
07-10-2005, 08:47 PM
The most recent ESPN Magazine Sports Guy article is about Bobby Simmons and how good of a guy he is. My favorite part is that they conducted the interview at The Cheesecake Factory in West Hollywood.

I wonder if they bumped into Harmonica?

Well, at least we know Simmons believes in the value proposition. Maybe he should go tell Latrell about it, since he can't feed his family for $14M a year. :cry: