PDA

View Full Version : LeBron has new play-time buddy. (Larry Hughes)

SoupIsGood
07-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Larry Hughes a Cavalier

<HR style="COLOR: #999999" SIZE=1>http://www.nbadraft.net/prevenas044.asp (http://www.nbadraft.net/prevenas044.asp)

Larry Hughes to Cleveland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Nick Prevenas
7/7/05

Larry Hughes

Sources tell NBADraft.net that the Cleveland Cavaliers will sign Washington Wizards' free agent guard Larry Hughes. The deal is reportedly worth an estimated $12 million a year and will run through the 2010 season.

After losing out on Michael Redd and Ray Allen (both of whom resigned with their original teams), the Cavs have landed their shooting guard and LeBron James' running mate. Hughes fills a massive hole for a team in need of perimeter scoring and defense.

Hughes averaged 22 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists, and 2.9 steals a game in his breakout season for the Wizards. He was also named to his first All-NBA Defensive First Team. His stellar play was one of the main reasons the Wizards were able to surprise nearly everyone and snag a 5-seed in the 2005 playoffs. Their first-round defeat of the Chicago Bulls was the first Washington playoff series victory since 1982.

While Hughes was one of the league's most sought-after free agent 2-guards, there are concerns surrounding him. First, durability is a issue. He missed 21 games last season due to a broken thumb. He's missed large chunks of time during his seven-year career due to other various injuries. He's only played more than 70 games in a season twice, in 1999-2000 and again in 2001-2002.

Second, for everything he does well, he does not shoot a high percentage from 3-point range. Last season, he shot 28%, which is a slight improvement over his 27% career average. This weakness was especially evident during the Wizards' playoff defeat to the Miami Heat, where he shot 33% from the floor and 25% from three. One of Cleveland's big weaknesses last season was their inability to knock down open threes, and at this point, it's hard to say whether Hughes will help fill that void.

Third, the 2004-2005 season was clearly Hughes' best season as a pro. Some feel that he might've kicked it up a notch in a contract year. He's bounced around a little, playing for three teams (the 76ers, Warriors, and Wizards) during his seven-year tenure. Some even considered him a mild disappointment until the past two seasons. Personally, I think Hughes has always had the ability to put up numbers like he did last season, but he just needed the right situation to prosper. Now we'll be able to see whether he can continue his fantastic play teaming up with King James.

These possible concerns are far outweighed by the positives he brings to this Cavalier ballclub. He is tremendously gifted athlete and can effectively defend three positions. His ability to force steals creates many easy baskets for his teammates. He's also a terrific penetrator who can create open looks for his squad. He's a versatile player who brings a lot of good things to the floor and will allow LeBron James to run wild at the small forward spot.

This is a big move for the Cavs, but they're far from finished. They still need to sign a quality point guard (both Antonio Daniels and Earl Watson's names have been mentioned). In a pinch, Hughes can fill in at the point, but he's built to play the off-guard. They also need to decide what to do with Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Depending on what happens with Big Z, they've expressed interest in signing another athletic bigman to go alongside Drew Gooden (Dalembert, Swift, Brown, etc.). Let's not forget, the Cavs are still in need of a permanent head coach. Signing Hughes is a big first step, but new General Manager Danny Ferry still has a lot of work ahead of him.

Where does this leave the Wizards? Their promising young nucleus has lost a big talent in Hughes. Jarvis Hayes will be expected to shoulder a much bigger scoring load and take over Hughes' role alongside Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison. They'll still be an exciting team to watch, but they'll be hard-pressed to replicate their 45-win output of 2004-2005 without Hughes' contributions.

The Clippers and Nuggets had also expressed interest in Hughes.

birdman
07-08-2005, 12:49 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/prevenas044.asp

By Nick Prevenas
7/7/05

Larry Hughes

Sources tell NBADraft.net that the Cleveland Cavaliers will sign Washington Wizards' free agent guard Larry Hughes. The deal is reportedly worth an estimated $12 million a year and will run through the 2010 season.

After losing out on Michael Redd and Ray Allen (both of whom resigned with their original teams), the Cavs have landed their shooting guard and LeBron James' running mate. Hughes fills a massive hole for a team in need of perimeter scoring and defense.

Hughes averaged 22 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists, and 2.9 steals a game in his breakout season for the Wizards. He was also named to his first All-NBA Defensive First Team. His stellar play was one of the main reasons the Wizards were able to surprise nearly everyone and snag a 5-seed in the 2005 playoffs. Their first-round defeat of the Chicago Bulls was the first Washington playoff series victory since 1982.

While Hughes was one of the league's most sought-after free agent 2-guards, there are concerns surrounding him. First, durability is a issue. He missed 21 games last season due to a broken thumb. He's missed large chunks of time during his seven-year career due to other various injuries. He's only played more than 70 games in a season twice, in 1999-2000 and again in 2001-2002.

Second, for everything he does well, he does not shoot a high percentage from 3-point range. Last season, he shot 28%, which is a slight improvement over his 27% career average. This weakness was especially evident during the Wizards' playoff defeat to the Miami Heat, where he shot 33% from the floor and 25% from three. One of Cleveland's big weaknesses last season was their inability to knock down open threes, and at this point, it's hard to say whether Hughes will help fill that void.

Third, the 2004-2005 season was clearly Hughes' best season as a pro. Some feel that he might've kicked it up a notch in a contract year. He's bounced around a little, playing for three teams (the 76ers, Warriors, and Wizards) during his seven-year tenure. Some even considered him a mild disappointment until the past two seasons. Personally, I think Hughes has always had the ability to put up numbers like he did last season, but he just needed the right situation to prosper. Now we'll be able to see whether he can continue his fantastic play teaming up with King James.

These possible concerns are far outweighed by the positives he brings to this Cavalier ballclub. He is tremendously gifted athlete and can effectively defend three positions. His ability to force steals creates many easy baskets for his teammates. He's also a terrific penetrator who can create open looks for his squad. He's a versatile player who brings a lot of good things to the floor and will allow LeBron James to run wild at the small forward spot.

This is a big move for the Cavs, but they're far from finished. They still need to sign a quality point guard (both Antonio Daniels and Earl Watson's names have been mentioned). In a pinch, Hughes can fill in at the point, but he's built to play the off-guard. They also need to decide what to do with Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Depending on what happens with Big Z, they've expressed interest in signing another athletic bigman to go alongside Drew Gooden (Dalembert, Swift, Brown, etc.). Let's not forget, the Cavs are still in need of a permanent head coach. Signing Hughes is a big first step, but new General Manager Danny Ferry still has a lot of work ahead of him.

Where does this leave the Wizards? Their promising young nucleus has lost a big talent in Hughes. Jarvis Hayes will be expected to shoulder a much bigger scoring load and take over Hughes' role alongside Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison. They'll still be an exciting team to watch, but they'll be hard-pressed to replicate their 45-win output of 2004-2005 without Hughes' contributions.

birdman
07-08-2005, 12:51 AM
ah soup you beat me by a minute, that's weird. admin you can delete this thread.

foretaz
07-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Larry Hughes a Cavalier

<HR style="COLOR: #999999" SIZE=1>http://www.nbadraft.net/prevenas044.asp (http://www.nbadraft.net/prevenas044.asp)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Nick Prevenas
7/7/05

Larry Hughes

in need of a permanent head coach???? does this guy live in the twilight zone?? he ever heard of mike brown??

Shade
07-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Does this take them out of the running for Saras? I know they have a boatload of $$$ right now...

SoupIsGood
07-08-2005, 12:57 AM
They had 28 mil free before they did this, I think.

Jermaniac
07-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Damn 12 million a year for Larry Hughes, too much I say.

Hicks
07-08-2005, 01:10 AM
S***! Cleveland is gonna be good next year. I already thought so with Mike taking over, but signing Hughes to pair with LeBron? That's a nice pick up for them. I didn't take them too seriously until now, but now I'm going to view them as a legit threat.

Kraft
07-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Um, it's an OK pickup, but I don't ever see a LeBron James/Larry Hughes combo going deep into the playoffs.

To me, this reeks of panic in Cleveland. Michael Redd was the ideal guy for the Cavs, not Larry Hughes.

And Luke Jackson, somewhere, weeps. In addition, they're still Quilted Northern inside.

PacerFan31
07-08-2005, 01:23 AM
S***! Cleveland is gonna be good next year. I already thought so with Mike taking over, but signing Hughes to pair with LeBron? That's a nice pick up for them. I didn't take them too seriously until now, but now I'm going to view them as a legit threat.

Why? I dont see how Larry Hughes makes them that much better?

Jose Slaughter
07-08-2005, 01:25 AM
Looks like Jasikevicius is ours if we still want him. I don't see Cleveland doing anything major with their backcourt after this.

Hicks
07-08-2005, 01:26 AM
If they have 28mm in capspace, and Hughes took 12 of that, then they have plenty to sign Saras. LeBron will play at SF, with Hughes at SG. Their PG situation is the same as it was before this signing.

Kraft
07-08-2005, 01:29 AM
If they have 28mm in capspace, and Hughes took 12 of that, then they have plenty to sign Saras. LeBron will play at SF, with Hughes at SG. Their PG situation is the same as it was before this signing.

I would guess Ilgauskus or Curry might be more important to them at this point. Also, they can't forget that they'll have to give James a maximum contract in two years and Drew Gooden is a RFA next summer, if they keep him. If not, it'll be someone else to pay.

Or they could be retards and spend way too much on players that won't contend for an ECF appearance.

Aw Heck
07-08-2005, 01:29 AM
Looks like Jasikevicius is ours if we still want him. I don't see Cleveland doing anything major with their backcourt after this.

I agree. Signing Ilgauskas or Curry is the next step, followed shortly by trying to trade Drew Gooden.

The Larry Hughes signing doesn't really scare me either. It improves their backcourt for sure, but I still don't think they have enough solid pieces around to make a big run.

I guess Washington is going to have to find a replacement for Hughes now, or just put Jarvis Hayes into the starting lineup.

Hicks
07-08-2005, 01:32 AM
I would guess Ilgauskus or Curry might be more important to them at this point. Also, they can't forget that they'll have to give James a maximum contract in two years and Drew Gooden is a RFA next summer.

Or they could be retards and spend way too much on players that won't contend for an ECF appearance.

Thank you, Ilgauskas slipped my mind. That'll account for most of the rest of the money. However, if they had 28mm, and Hughes is taking 12mm of that, that still leaves them 16mm. Big Z won't take more than 8-10mm of that, leaving another 6-8mm remaining. Enough to outbid us for Saras.

GO!!!!!
07-08-2005, 01:39 AM
I think Hughes is the better fit of all 3 for the Cavs, unlike the other he never had a real home and can start fresh and finish of his days here

Cavs got better unstopable better, i think they should save of wasting more cash till next year...

they'll have some good trapping Defence and some High Flying Fast Breaks... now all they need is Jonny Bender on the wings..

2 much bling bling tho for sure, i reckon they could have got away with 8-10 Mill a year, I mean Christ a chance to play with a dude that should be better then the Great MJ, thats a bargin chip right there

Only the big boys deserve 12 Plus a year....

Surely if they have 6-8 Mill a year they can buy some a lot better then that Greek player... Who woulden't take a 2 year 16 Mill deal to play with James and Hughes...

Hell there are a lot of Quality Players that'd do that...

NewType
07-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Thank you, Ilgauskas slipped my mind. That'll account for most of the rest of the money. However, if they had 28mm, and Hughes is taking 12mm of that, that still leaves them 16mm. Big Z won't take more than 8-10mm of that, leaving another 6-8mm remaining. Enough to outbid us for Saras.

If they go for Curry/Chandler/Dalembert, they definitely have to pay more than the 8-10mm.

Also, including Huges, they only have eight players under contract. With the new CBA, they need 14 players. Let's assume they go for Z with a 10mm contract. They have only 6mm to fill the rest of the roaster. Also, for those under contract, not too many can really contribute much. So, they need some quality players on their roaster. That will not be cheap...

Arcadian
07-08-2005, 01:47 AM
I heard that the Wizards were going to pay Hughes 60 mil so I guess 12 a year is what it takes to get him to get him.

Maybe it means they get into the playoffs but nothing beyond that. It most likely means the Cavs have aquired an untrade contract.

skyfire
07-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Larry Hughes will form an interesting combo with LeBron. He is reputed for forcing turnovers, but is he a lockdown defender? He obviously didn't have much effect on Wade.

They will definitely want to get a PG capable of knocking down spot up 3pt'ers. With Hughes and LeBron both capable of creating on offense they'll need players to spread the floor. Saras certainly fits that mould and with 2 capable wing defenders in Hughes and LBJ, his defensive inadequecies would be obscured. Should be interesting to see how the Cavs structure the rest of their salaries to allow them to give LeBron the max in 2years.

Cactus Jax
07-08-2005, 03:43 AM
They still don't have someone that can shoot the ball along side Lebron. They are almost 2 similar players, and a guy like Joe Johnson or even Bobby Simmons would fit better.

Speaking of Joe Johnson, this hurts his dollars at this point. He'll still probably get a big contract from the Suns, but it won't be a massive as it could've been.

And with Bobby Simmons, it scares me to think that the Heat or Spurs could get the guy for the MLE, especially the Heat.

Now for Cleveland, it's a decision of athleticism or more overall skill from the 5 position. That will decide if they go after Dalembert or re-sign Ilgauskas.

foretaz
07-08-2005, 03:48 AM
i still think daniels is the better fit for this situation over saras-in cleveland....hes a better defender and more in the mold that mike brown would want....

that being said...hughes going to cleveland doesnt solve their outside shooting dilemma.....and if they think saras is the better outside shot, then it seems even more likely they would bring saras and Z in together....a saras, hughes, lebron, gooden, and Z lineup wouldnt be the worst thing in the world....though i still cant help but think daniels would be a better starter for them....

and of course, they have the money, and probably the minutes to bring both saras and daniels in.....

i still think we are in second place behind the cavs in the saras derby....if somehow Z can be lured somewhere else...ideally atlanta....then that would change....however, if the cavs resign Z, i cant help but think we are screwed on the saras situation...

as far as cleveland being a threat now with hughes...hughes doesnt scare me....hes not the defender some like to make him out to be....because of his gambling style and steal numbers he got some questionable recognition for defensive abilities....he is and always has been an offensive player first....and more of a scorer than a shooter....and i certainly dont think hes worth the money they are talking.....i think this move is good for us.....cleveland having a contract like that around their necks is gonna haunt them for a while....and i dont see Z and hughes helping much, when it comes time to try and persuade lebron to stay in cleveland....

fooddaman
07-08-2005, 06:51 AM
Larry Hughes a Cavalier

<hr style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" size="1"> (http://www.nbadraft.net/prevenas044.asp)This is a big move for the Cavs, but they're far from finished. They still need to sign a quality point guard (both Antonio Daniels and Earl Watson's names have been mentioned). In a pinch, Hughes can fill in at the point, but he's built to play the off-guard. They also need to decide what to do with Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Depending on what happens with Big Z, they've expressed interest in signing another athletic bigman to go alongside Drew Gooden (Dalembert, Swift, Brown, etc.).

This is the interesting part of the article, if you believe this writer, they are not looking at Jasikevicius, which is good for us

DisplacedKnick
07-08-2005, 07:44 AM
I would guess Ilgauskus or Curry might be more important to them at this point. Also, they can't forget that they'll have to give James a maximum contract in two years and Drew Gooden is a RFA next summer, if they keep him. If not, it'll be someone else to pay.

If Varejao (sp?) continues to impress my guess is they'll wave goodbye to Gooden.

3-pt shooting will be a problem for them but with a post player like Z (assuming he stays - I think he will) and two guys who can get to the basket like Hughes and Lebron, it'll be less of a problem than it would be for a lot of teams.

They aren't winning the title next year but winning 50's a big possibility - and may not be for Washington who I thought might be scary this year.

Eindar
07-08-2005, 07:49 AM
With their current lineup, they should let Z go and sign a Dalembert or Chandler. They have plenty of guys willing to shoot. They need guys who will get garbage buckets and fight for rebounds, who can also run the break, something Z will never be able to do with any success. Curry would be an interesting choice, as that would give them a low post presence with good rebounding. The question is, will he be able to play that uptempo style that is inevitable with their current make-up?

Also, the new rule about having to have 14 players will come into effect. The Cavs will have to decide if they want to have a team like the Suns, with an excellent starting 5 and garbage on the bench, or a team more like the Grizzlies, where they've got decent players at every position

Mourning
07-08-2005, 08:11 AM
With their current lineup, they should let Z go and sign a Dalembert or Chandler. They have plenty of guys willing to shoot. They need guys who will get garbage buckets and fight for rebounds, who can also run the break, something Z will never be able to do with any success. Curry would be an interesting choice, as that would give them a low post presence with good rebounding. The question is, will he be able to play that uptempo style that is inevitable with their current make-up?

Also, the new rule about having to have 14 players will come into effect. The Cavs will have to decide if they want to have a team like the Suns, with an excellent starting 5 and garbage on the bench, or a team more like the Grizzlies, where they've got decent players at every position

IF I were the Cavaliers I would try to get my hands on either Dalembert or Tyson Chandler. Curry seems to big of a risk to me and much to interested in the attacking part of the game, while not rebounding as much as he probably good, defensively not as good as he could be either.

Than I would try to get Antonio Daniels and Saras for a good point guard rotation. I hope they go after Curry and he signs a HUGE deal. If so, the Cav's will be tied up for quite some years with a good team, but definitely not an elite 4 or 5 team if you ask me, which is good for us.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Fool
07-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Damon Jones.

diamonddave00
07-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Larry Hughes is a far superior all around player than Michael Redd in my opinion. Hughes can play sf,sg, and pg while Redd is a sg period. Hughes is a better rebounder, passer , ball handler and defender.

Example -last season PPG- Redd 23.0 Hughes 22.0 , rpg- Redd 4.2 Hughes 6.3 , apg Redd 2.3 Hughes 4.7 , steals Redd .84 spg Hughes 2.89.

FG% Redd .441 Hughes .430 , 3p% Redd .355 Hughes .282 , ft % Redd .854 Hughes .777.

As stats show Redd has slight edge is shooting % only . Hughes everything else.

Looking at the league wide hunger for shooting guards , getting Stephen Jackson last summer looks better and better.

Seeing the money being thrown around, Jackson at 5.9 mil this year ,and 26 mil over 4 years is starting to look like one hell of a bargain.

SoupIsGood
07-08-2005, 11:44 AM
The Cavs should try to get Chandler to play next to big Z. If they could get ahold of those two somehow, they could probably get by with some bum at PG, considering their two swingmen have PG skills.

NewType
07-08-2005, 11:54 AM
The Cavs should try to get Chandler to play next to big Z. If they could get ahold of those two somehow, they could probably get by with some bum at PG, considering their two swingmen have PG skills.

I agree. That would be the best scenario for them.

Diesel
07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Looking at the league wide hunger for shooting guards , getting Stephen Jackson last summer looks better and better.

Seeing the money being thrown around, Jackson at 5.9 mil this year ,and 26 mil over 4 years is starting to look like one hell of a bargain.

Stephen Jackson is not in the same catagory as a Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Larry Hughes or a Joe Johnson. They are all going to get max deals even though Hughes and Redd are not Max players in my oinion. However I would still take any one of those guys over Jackson in a heart beat.
Jackson is a fine player and a nice 3rd option to have but hes not a go to guy like these guys and thats why we got him for 6million compared to what the other guards making our getting.

foretaz
07-08-2005, 12:58 PM
tell u what....ill take jack at 6 million over hughes at 12 million just about anyday....u cant build a team around hughes....and at 12 million for a player, that player should provide more of an impact....the impact he provides for 12 million is not that dramatically different than jack...and cleveland is going to realize that all to well, when lebron leaves and theyre left with hughes and whatever else along with his 12 million/year contract....they have the money now and are trying to find someone to play with lebron, so it doesnt look so bad....take lebron off that team and have him making 12 and Z making about the same and ur just gonna shake ur head...

PacerFan31
07-08-2005, 01:11 PM
tell u what....ill take jack at 6 million over hughes at 12 million just about anyday....u cant build a team around hughes....and at 12 million for a player, that player should provide more of an impact....the impact he provides for 12 million is not that dramatically different than jack...and cleveland is going to realize that all to well, when lebron leaves and theyre left with hughes and whatever else along with his 12 million/year contract....they have the money now and are trying to find someone to play with lebron, so it doesnt look so bad....take lebron off that team and have him making 12 and Z making about the same and ur just gonna shake ur head...

Thats the way I see it, Jack-6 mil and everybit of the player that hughes is.

foretaz
07-08-2005, 01:23 PM
guess we will find out a lot more in 5 years....both jack and hughes should be free agents that summer....

betcha jack has more championship rings than hughes does at that time...

SoupIsGood
07-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Updated: July 8, 2005, 1:13 PM ET
Deal believed to be worth $65M to $70MBy Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Larry Hughes has come to terms with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a five-year deal, his agent, Jeff Wechsler, told ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

"Larry intends to sign a contract with the Cavs when the moritorium ends," Wechsler said.

Wechsler wouldn't comment on the actual numbers of the deal, but it's believed to be a five-year deal between $65 million and $70 million.

Wechsler told Insider that he informed Washington Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld on Thursday that Hughes is going in a different direction.

Grunfeld told ESPN.com that he was prohibited from commenting on the situation, citing league rules that prevent teams from commenting on free agency until the moritorium passes.

For the Cavs, Hughes gives them a great scorer and defender to put at the two alongside LeBron James. He isn't a great shooter (something the Cavs desperately need), but he's a fantastic ball handler and rebounder making him -- like LeBron -- a very versatile piece in the puzzle.

With Hughes on board, the Cavs will now focus their atttention on bringing back free agent Zydrunas Ilgauskas. They're also in hot pursuit of Lithuanian point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius, widely regarded as the best international player not playing in the NBA.

The news comes as major blow to the Wizards, who were confident they could re-sign Hughes. The Wizards eventually offered up to six years, $70 million.

The Wizards now have to start over from scratch. The team now has a big hole at the two to fill and must also deal with the likely departure of Kwame Brown. The Wizards can get about $9 million below the cap if they don't re-sign Brown. However, the market for two guards is getting thin.

The last major two guard on the market is Joe Johnson. However, Johnson is a restricted free agent and most teams believe that the Suns will match any offer. There's also talk from multiple league sources that Johnson is in serious negotiations with the Atlanta Hawks about signing a max offer sheet.

That leaves Bobby Simmons, Cuttino Mobley and Latrell Sprewell as the top two guards left on the board. The Wizards could also, at this point, try to work out a sign-and-trade with Brown that brings them back a top-flight shooting guard.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

indygeezer
07-08-2005, 02:35 PM
SO at $65M -$70 M that is what kind of starting money? It averages $13M for 5 years ($65M).

OK....I'm estimating....but if Z signs for what he wants I just don't see how the Cavs have enough left to go after Saras.

foretaz
07-08-2005, 02:38 PM
SO at $65M -$70 M that is what kind of starting money? It averages $13M for 5 years ($65M).

OK....I'm estimating....but if Z signs for what he wants I just don't see how the Cavs have enough left to go after Saras.

probably right near 11 million....

SoupIsGood
07-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, if Hughes takes 11 mil, and Z roughly 10, they have about 7 mil left to work with.

Just enough to outbid us for Jassy. :disappoin

foretaz
07-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Well, if Hughes takes 11 mil, and Z roughly 10, they have about 7 mil left to work with.

Just enough to outbid us for Jassy. :disappoin

i really dont think them not having enuff money will be an issue....if they really are gonna go after Z and not curry, then i think we have a real problem.....i think our best chance is Z not signing with them...whether its atlanta somehow gets him.....or they switch up and go after curry.....

foretaz
07-08-2005, 03:08 PM
and if i had 28 million in cap room and lebron as my foundation....i wouldnt be too happy or consider it too much of a success if i ended up with saras, hughes, and Z....though i still think if they sign Z they might end up with both daniels and saras....

Diesel
07-08-2005, 03:15 PM

I agree with that. Hughes is not a max player, Redd isn't even a max player. Like I've said before teams will pay all star caliber players franchise player money and then in a couple of years they'll have to find a way to get rid of them.

Will Galen
07-08-2005, 03:16 PM
I'll go ahead and post this, but it appears it might be old news. The thing is this makes more sense than giving Larry Hughes 12 to 14 million.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/
Hughes To Cavaliers Premature?
Akron Beacon Journal - 07/08 - 11:15 AM EST
While NBADraft.net is reporting that Wizards forward Larry Hughes' move to the Cleveland Cavaliers is all but done, Akron Beacon Journal writer Brian Windhorst has a different view.

While Windhorst confirms that Hughes and the Cavaliers are talking, it appears that any deal is far from done.

Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown did not come to the Vegas Summer League for the team's first game Thursday so they could remain in Cleveland to continue talks.

An insider close to the Wizards said that the team's initial offer to Hughes was for a contract starting between $6 million to $8 million per season. It apparently upset Hughes.

Hughes was part of a three-headed attack that led the Wizards to the playoffs last season for the first time since 1997.

Gilbert Arenas will make $10.2 million next season, and Antawn Jamison is due $13.8 million. Hughes, who averaged 22 points and led the league in steals, apparently believes he should be equally paid.

It is possible the Cavaliers will do that, offering him as much as $12 million to start.

The danger for the Cavaliers, as it is for all teams with massive cap room, is that they are being used to drive up the price. Hughes has expressed a desire to remain in Washington, and the Wizards have said retaining him is their No. 1 off-season priority.

If the Wizards match the offer, Cavaliers could end up being the bridesmaid again. Both Michael Redd and Ray Allen might have used the Cavaliers' interest to get every last dime.

If Hughes falls through, the Cavaliers will likely turn to Los Angeles Clippers guard Bobby Simmons as their next option.

Will Galen
07-08-2005, 03:19 PM
I agree with that. Hughes is not a max player, Redd isn't even a max player. Like I've said before teams will pay all star caliber players franchise player money and then in a couple of years they'll have to find a way to get rid of them.

I think teams are starting to think they will get to waive someone with every new agreement. Someone ought to tell them they still have to pay the money.

foretaz
07-08-2005, 03:25 PM
hey...this is perfect for the playoff teams in the east...washington probably wont be quite as good....and cleveland, while maybe better, wont be a real threat....spread out the talent....now if we can get one of chicagos big men outta town, jalen or bonzi to detroit, and shaq off his diet, we will march right into the finals ;)

Will Galen
07-08-2005, 03:46 PM
http://sports.excite.com/news/07082005/v0338.html

Hughes Leaving Wizards for Cavaliers

Jul 8, 2:18 PM (ET)

By HOWARD FENDRICH

(AP) Washington Wizards guard Larry Hughes, top, drives to the basket against Chicago Bulls guard Ben...
Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - Free agent Larry Hughes informed the Washington Wizards that he's leaving them to join the Cleveland Cavaliers, the guard's agent said Friday.

"I can confirm that he is committed to coming to terms with the Cleveland Cavaliers," agent Jeff Wechsler said in a telephone interview.

"We're still negotiating, but we've told Washington that he's not coming back there," Wechsler added.

A member of the Wizards' so-called Big Three, along with Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison, Hughes helped Washington reach the playoffs for the first time since 1997. The Wizards' first-round defeat of the Chicago Bulls was the franchise's first playoff series victory since 1982.

Hughes made the NBA's All-Defensive team after leading the league in steals with a 2.89 average and was second on the Wizards in scoring last season at 22 points.

He also averaged 6.3 rebounds and 4.7 assists during his third season in Washington.

"Larry's agent informed us that he will not be returning to the Washington Wizards," Wizards spokesman Zack Bolno said. "Obviously, we provided Larry with a very fair and meaningful offer."

The Cavaliers have been looking to sign a shooting guard to complement star LeBron James.

Cleveland already lost out on Ray Allen of the Seattle SuperSonics and Michael Redd of the Milwaukee Bucks, who both decided to re-sign with their current teams.

Cavaliers spokesman Tad Carper declined to comment on Hughes, saying the team is not speaking about the free agency process.

Hughes has averaged 15.2 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists over seven NBA seasons with Washington, Golden State and Philadelphia.

Kegboy
07-08-2005, 05:05 PM
As a burgeoning Cavs fan, I find this distressing. I would have much rather had Simmons.

Well, Mike does like defensive gamblers. And with 'Bron and a point to be named later, Hughes shouldn't be expected to run the offense. At least that's something.

SycamoreKen
07-08-2005, 05:55 PM
guess we will find out a lot more in 5 years....both jack and hughes should be free agents that summer....

betcha jack has more championship rings than hughes does at that time...

Well, considering he is already ahead in that department, and his team is worse off than S.J.'s, that's a pretty safe bet.