PDA

View Full Version : Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

Peck
06-26-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm looking for something else whether it be Oriental, Mexican, German, English, whatever.

Obviously we all know about Ruths Criss, Don Shulas, etc.

I'm looking for what you guys think is the best of the rest.

Hell even if it's a little diner that has a killer tenderloin or something, anything.

Unclebuck
06-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I really like "PF Chang's". "Cheesecake Factory", and Maggiano's. Those are probably my three favorite on the north side.

Downtown I really like Palomino and Bazbeaux Pizza

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Hooters, 96th Street Steakburgers, G.T. Souths

SycamoreKen
06-26-2005, 03:16 PM
White Castle. It's the only place i remember since i haven't been to Indy to sit down and eat for so long.

grace
06-26-2005, 03:42 PM
I used to like the Cheesecake Factory until they stopped having the Straw and Hay that I liked. :(

Maggiano's is good too.

Suaveness
06-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Udupi Palace - best Indian food in Indy

Cancun, El Rodeo are good as well (Mexican)

For Italian, Olive Garden is as good as ti gets, as well as Fizolis (sp)

Peck
06-26-2005, 03:57 PM
I really like "PF Chang's". "Cheesecake Factory", and Maggiano's. Those are probably my three favorite on the north side.

Downtown I really like Palomino and Bazbeaux Pizza

What is Palomino? I've somehow missed that one. What do they serve? Price range? Attire required?

Peck
06-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I used to like the Cheesecake Factory until they stopped having the Straw and Hay that I liked. :(

Maggiano's is good too.

What is Straw and Hay? I've never been to the cheescake factory but I've heard it was good.

Peck
06-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Udupi Palace - best Indian food in Indy

Cancun, El Rodeo are good as well (Mexican)

For Italian, Olive Garden is as good as ti gets, as well as Fizolis (sp)

Tell me more about this place. I would really like to try some good Indian food. I had some once at the taste of Chicago & I thought it was very good.

grace
06-26-2005, 04:52 PM
What is Straw and Hay? I've never been to the cheescake factory but I've heard it was good.

It's a pasta dish with green and yellow pasta and hot sausage. God, it was good! I haven't found anything nearly as good.

BTW, you should have a PM from me.

Suaveness
06-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Tell me more about this place. I would really like to try some good Indian food. I had some once at the taste of Chicago & I thought it was very good.

Udupi is probably one of the better ones. It is mostly South Indian food and all vegetarian food though. 4211 Lafayette Road I believe
Really really good...buffet is TERRIFIC

There is another one right next to it which is decent, India Palace. I think it may have non-veg food there, not sure though

India Garden is also really good...there should be one in Broad Ripple and another downtown on Illinois I think. They may have non-veg food, don't really remember. This is also a terrific restaurant

travmil
06-26-2005, 05:01 PM
The absolute best bar none Italian in the city is Mama Carolla's on 54th street between College and the Monon. Get the Rosemary Chicken Lasagna. You'll never eat at another Italian place again. It blows away Maggiano's, and it even blows away all of those Italian places in Lockerbie such as Iaria's, Amici's, and Milano Inn. And, it's more affordable than those places to boot.

Harmonica
06-26-2005, 06:17 PM

Cheesecake Factory is vile. At least the two out here I've been to. It's a chain, so I imagine it's got to be pretty bad there as well. They confuse quantity with quality. But then most chain restaurants do.

Arcadian
06-26-2005, 06:50 PM
I agree with Travmil, Mama's is excellent Italian

Stryder
06-26-2005, 08:01 PM
The absolute best bar none Italian in the city is Mama Carolla's on 54th street between College and the Monon. Get the Rosemary Chicken Lasagna. You'll never eat at another Italian place again. It blows away Maggiano's, and it even blows away all of those Italian places in Lockerbie such as Iaria's, Amici's, and Milano Inn. And, it's more affordable than those places to boot.

I concur whole-heartedly.

:D

Vicious Tyrant
06-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Is Queen of Sheba still open over by IUPUI? It's Ethiopian food, which might sound odd - but its really delicious and a fun little place.

Another vote for Bazbaeux (sp?) here, too.

travmil
06-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Is Queen of Sheba still open over by IUPUI? It's Ethiopian food, which might sound odd - but its really delicious and a fun little place.

Another vote for Bazbaeux (sp?) here, too.

Bazbeaux's is good pizza, but not nearly as good as Some Guy's.

Unclebuck
06-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Bazbeaux's is good pizza, but not nearly as good as Some Guy's.

I love them both. Really they are quite similar if you ask me. But I give the slight edge to Bazbeaux. However Some Guys Lasagna is the best I've ever had anywhere anytime

travmil
06-26-2005, 11:32 PM
I love them both. Really they are quite similar if you ask me. But I give the slight edge to Bazbeaux. However Some Guys Lasagna is the best I've ever had anywhere anytime

You're right, they are similar. But I give the edge to Some Guy's because they manage to throw in non traditional pizza ingredients without having that "foo-foo" feel like Bazbeaux's does. I have had Some Guy's lasagna. I don't think it's as good as Mama Carolla's.

PacerFan31
06-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Wing 'n' it in greenwood, I love that place, idk why but I do

travmil
06-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Wing 'n' it in greenwood, I love that place, idk why but I do

I used to live in Polo Run apartments right around the way from that place. They had great wings.

foretaz
06-27-2005, 03:18 AM
peck...im a huge indian food fan....its probably my favorite...that and sushi....

that being said, the indian garden restaurant that suaveness mentioned is very very good....

ive had indian food in many parts of the world, and i would say i havent had any better....now i must say i havent been there in a couple of years, as im no longer in indy....but i still hold them in very high esteem.....both the broad ripple and downtown locations are very wonderful....

if ur going to eat there, as suaveness mentioned....lunchtime is a great choice because they have buffets which allow u to have a number of different dishes....

and god....is there anything as good as hot nan out of the oven????

my personal favorites are palak paneer(creamed spinach and cheese) and makhani chicken(chunks of grilled chicken basted in yogurt creamy tomato sauce)

Knucklehead Warrior
06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Mama Corolla's
Iaria's
Santorini's Greek Kitchen -- on Prospect
Puerto Vallarta -- 56th & Lafayette Rd.
Rathskeller

Pig Nash
06-27-2005, 03:40 PM
RJ Wingers on Washington near Post Road would be my pick.

Zesty
06-27-2005, 03:53 PM
I could eat the spinach tortellini at The Old Spaghetti Factory downtown every day. I like that place pretty well; the food is pretty good, the atmosphere is okay, and the prices are very reasonable IMO.

Spicoli
06-27-2005, 04:16 PM
If you can get someone else to pay for it, the Oceannaire is worthwhile...

Gyron
06-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I don't know if it's still as good as it was when I lived up there 5 years ago, but at 116th and allisonville road in Fisher's is a diner called Sahm's. It used to be this tiny diner, but then they rebuilt it from the ground up and now it's a nice looking resturant.

Great food. HUGE tenderloins. Try their carrot curls. They are awesome. Sweet and salty at the same time.

They also used to make a decent filet topped with a peppercorn sauce that was to die for.

And their prices were not too bad.

And on the good side, if you go into the bar, they did have a 3 big screen TV's you could watch games and stuff while you ate. I used to love to go in there have a tenderloin, and carrot curls during the pacers games.

I hope they are still there and as good as they were then. because next time I come to town, I am definitely going back for one of their tenderloins....

Man I miss Indy. You can't find a damn tenderloin down here in NC anywhere. IF you ask about it, they just look at you funny....

Doug
06-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Sahm's is great. Wide variety from sandwichs to steaks.

grace
06-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Cheesecake Factory is vile.

Yes, it sucks so bad that if you get there after 5:00 on a weekday you have to wait at least 45 minutes for a table. On the weekend everyone must really want to eat crap because then you have to wait at least an hour and a half. :rolleyes:

Diamond Dave
06-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Yes, it sucks so bad that if you get there after 5:00 on a weekday you have to wait at least 45 minutes for a table. On the weekend everyone must really want to eat crap because then you have to wait at least an hour and a half. :rolleyes:

If you haven't figured it out, anything that is popular or well-known or commercial is bad. Or vile if you will. :rolleyes:

ChicagoJ
06-27-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm just dumbfounded by the number of chains that are mentioned in this list.

That said, I really like Palomino's, even though its a chain as well. I've had several nice business lunches and pregame meals there.

MagicRat
06-27-2005, 09:06 PM
If you haven't figured it out, anything that is popular or well-known or commercial is bad. Or vile if you will. :rolleyes:

Actually one of the greatest experiences of my life was at The Cheesecake Factory. I ate a salad almost as big as the table, then they brought in a big screen and showed a double feature of Million Dollar Baby and Batman Begins. Oh, what a night........:lurk:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Emagic_rat/tongue.gif

Suaveness
06-27-2005, 09:37 PM
peck...im a huge indian food fan....its probably my favorite...that and sushi....

that being said, the indian garden restaurant that suaveness mentioned is very very good....

ive had indian food in many parts of the world, and i would say i havent had any better....now i must say i havent been there in a couple of years, as im no longer in indy....but i still hold them in very high esteem.....both the broad ripple and downtown locations are very wonderful....

if ur going to eat there, as suaveness mentioned....lunchtime is a great choice because they have buffets which allow u to have a number of different dishes....

and god....is there anything as good as hot nan out of the oven????

my personal favorites are palak paneer(creamed spinach and cheese) and makhani chicken(chunks of grilled chicken basted in yogurt creamy tomato sauce)

Glad to see other peopel like Indian food. Of course, I can't say restaurants are better than India itself, or homemade ;)

ChicagoJ
06-29-2005, 10:27 AM
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Oaken Barrel is a personal favorite - a little more casual, but nice.

Harmonica
07-02-2005, 03:38 PM

What does that prove? You're confusing popular appeal with quality. If you go to a Bennigan's for lunch, chances are you're going to have a long wait. Chain restaurants are about quantity/volume, either in portions or people served or both. Food should never be a value proposition. You are aware there's an obesity problem in the U.S., right?

missi
07-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Cheesecake Factory is vile. At least the two out here I've been to. It's a chain, so I imagine it's got to be pretty bad there as well. They confuse quantity with quality. But then most chain restaurants do.

Whenever someone visits me here they want to go to Cheesecake Factory in Chicago. We always wait forever to get a table, the service is slow and the food is expensive and not that great. I could suggest two dozen other restaurants but everyone thinks the visit isn't complete until they experience Cheesecake Factory.

indytoad
07-03-2005, 01:27 PM
A couple places I like are El Jaripeo for Mexican food and Yen Ching's for Chinese. They're both on East Washington Street, although there's a Yen Ching's on the Northside as well. Best rangoons you'll ever have, bar none.

IndyToad
Learning to operate remote controls

cramerica
07-03-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm hungry.

Kegboy
07-03-2005, 04:33 PM
What does that prove? You're confusing popular appeal with quality. If you go to a Bennigan's for lunch, chances are you're going to have a long wait. Chain restaurants are about quantity/volume, either in portions or people served or both. Food should never be a value proposition. You are aware there's an obesity problem in the U.S., right?

Uh, if Cheesecake Factory is about "value", then damn, I need to stop eating out. $12 hamburgers and $8 desserts are not value.

jax
07-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Everytime I visit Indianapolis I go to Buca Di Beppo's. I like the Bruschetta. Its unbelievable!

travmil
07-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Everytime I visit Indianapolis I go to Buca Di Beppo's. I like the Bruschetta. Its unbelievable!

If you ranked the Italian places in this city, I doubt if Buca's would make the top 15 or so. Besides, it's unbelievably expensive. I have a hard time paying $20 for subpar spaghetti w/ marinara sauce, then having to pay extra to add a caesar salad and some breadsticks. But for some inexplicable reason, it is a very popular place to eat.

Harmonica
07-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Uh, if Cheesecake Factory is about "value", then damn, I need to stop eating out. $12 hamburgers and $8 desserts are not value.

Their portions are ridiculous. That's still a value proposition. And it's a big problem in this country because a lot of people put a value on food relative to portions versus nutritional requirements (and the way food is prepared and the ingredients used play a big part in that).

missi
07-03-2005, 08:59 PM

I went to a wedding a couple of years ago where the wedding cake was made by the Cheesecake Factory. 400 servings of wedding cake in eight different cheesecake flavors! It was set up and served by CF employees.

Wonder what the value was for that deal? :confused:

Kegboy
07-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Their portions are ridiculous. That's still a value proposition. And it's a big problem in this country because a lot of people put a value on food relative to portions versus nutritional requirements (and the way food is prepared and the ingredients used play a big part in that).

If you think their proportions are ridiculous, you've obviously never been to Ruth Chris. But then, they must suck too, because they're a chain and they serve big portions.

Kegboy
07-03-2005, 10:13 PM
I went to a wedding a couple of years ago where the wedding cake was made by the Cheesecake Factory. 400 servings of wedding cake in eight different cheesecake flavors! It was set up and served by CF employees.

Wonder what the value was for that deal? :confused:

Oh Jesus, I hate to think how much that cost.

And Harmonica is right in one aspect, their cheesecake is terribly unhealthy. I read somewhere that 1 piece is like 1500 calories. Never cared for it myself. I'd rather have a plain, small New York-style piece any day.

Harmonica
07-03-2005, 10:19 PM
If you think their proportions are ridiculous, you've obviously never been to Ruth Chris. But then, they must suck too, because they're a chain and they serve big portions.

Whatever. You don't get it.

Harmonica
07-03-2005, 10:22 PM
And Harmonica is right in one aspect, their cheesecake is terribly unhealthy. I read somewhere that 1 piece is like 1500 calories. Never cared for it myself. I'd rather have a plain, small New York-style piece any day.

I'm right in every respect when it comes to food being a value proposition and how unhealthy of an attitude it is. It's not even debatable. Like I asked your sister, you are aware that there's an obesity problem in the U.S., right?

Kegboy
07-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Whatever. You don't get it.

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. I think people go to restaurants like Cheesecake Factory because they like the food. If they're looking for huge portions, they'd go to a buffet. Is it unhealthy? Of course it is. But so are 90% of all the other restaurants out there.

Harmonica
07-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Cheesecake Factory is awful.

Thank you. The wrath of DD, Kegboy and grace shall now rain down upon you.

Kegboy
07-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Thank you. The wrath of DD, Kegboy and grace shall now rain down upon you.

:console:

Harmonica
07-03-2005, 10:33 PM
I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. I think people go to restaurants like Cheesecake Factory because they like the food. If they're looking for huge portions, they'd go to a buffet. Is it unhealthy? Of course it is. But so are 90% of all the other restaurants out there.

So you don't think Cheesecake Factory serves huge portions?

Kegboy
07-03-2005, 10:37 PM
So you don't think Cheesecake Factory serves huge portions?

Depends on what you get. Their hamburgers are pretty damn big, but their pasta dishes are nothing compared to Maggiano's, let alone Bucca De Beppo.

And I'll warn you, you better not say anything bad about Maggiano's, or UB will come down on you like a mother****er. ;)

Harmonica
07-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Depends on what you get. Their hamburgers are pretty damn big, but their pasta dishes are nothing compared to Maggiano's, let alone Bucca De Beppo.

Never been to Maggiano's, but yes, Bucca De Beppo's portions are excessive. But you're saying compared to Bucca De Beppo's. The Chrysler Building is short compared to The Sears Tower, but it's still a tall building. Cheesecake Factory's portions are large by any measure. And back to your point of $12 burgers and $8 desserts. Most people wouldn't pay that much for those items unless they felt like they were getting a "value" in return. Which goes back to food being a value proposition not being healthy.

MagicRat
07-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Supersize me!

Harmonica
07-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Supersize me!

Didn't see the movie, but I imagine what I'm talking about is the idea behind it. Did you see it?

MagicRat
07-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Didn't see the movie, but I imagine what I'm talking about is the idea behind it. Did you see it?

No. I just wanted some fries........:whoknows:

And yes, the Cheesecake Factory portions are huge. When I put "a salad as big as the table" into that other post, I was basing that on experience.

For Italian, I like Capri, for those that are still looking for restaurant reviews.........

Peck
07-03-2005, 11:42 PM
I saw supersize me & to be honest the most compelling arguments to what he was trying to make was in the deleted scenes about the french fries.

I have a problem with "Documentrys" that already have the end decided before they film it.

Either way about portion size with Ruths Criss steakhouse. The ala carte' servings are intended to be family style which each waiter that I've ever had makes a point to tell you.

In other words if you order the scalloped potato's it is not intended for you to eat, it is intended for you & another person to eat.

I've never been to the cheesecake factory so I can't speak on it, but my Son & his fiance do enjoy it.

As to Boca Di bebos, I ate there once & I'll just say I wasn't thrilled. The service was poor & the food was bland.

Hey Spicoli, what is the oceanaire?

Harmonica
07-03-2005, 11:57 PM
I saw supersize me & to be honest the most compelling arguments to what he was trying to make was in the deleted scenes about the french fries.

I have a problem with "Documentrys" that already have the end decided before they film it.

I agree. Unfortunately, sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference between the ones that find themselves through the process and the ones where the filmmaker has an agenda going into it. That seemed to be the case with "Supersize Me" so I avoided it. "Fog of War" is a good example of a documentary that seemed to find itself along the way. Great movie with a lot of little revelations.

Peck
07-04-2005, 01:40 AM
I agree. Unfortunately, sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference between the ones that find themselves through the process and the ones where the filmmaker has an agenda going into it. That seemed to be the case with "Supersize Me" so I avoided it. "Fog of War" is a good example of a documentary that seemed to find itself along the way. Great movie with a lot of little revelations.

Fog of war, hmmmmm..... Somehow that one slipped passed my radar. I think I'll go get it.

I love documentry films if they are done right.

Unclebuck
07-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Maggiano's, is much better than Bucca De Beppo's. The food is just a lot better. Bucca's food is very bland and the quality just does not seem as high. So if you want a fun fmily type dinner, I would say Maggiano's is the place to go. Plus Bucco's decor just annoys me

missi
07-04-2005, 11:45 AM

I was a little disappointed in their cheesecake. I love to bake, and my cheesecake recipe is much better, IMHO. Besides, I don't charge $6 per slice. :)

Harmonica
07-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Fog of war, hmmmmm..... Somehow that one slipped passed my radar. I think I'll go get it.

I love documentry films if they are done right.

Lemme know what you think. It won the Academy Award for best documentary in 2004 and is based on 8 hours of interviews with Robert McNamara, the so-called "architect of the Vietnam War." The timing of this movie, which could not have been foreseen by the filmmaker, was uncanny (and quite fortuitous for him) as it came out right around the time we went into Iraq.

Suaveness
07-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Another Italian restaurant which I enjoy is Bravo's (one in Castleton by Buca) They don't have a large menu, but I think it is quite good.