PDA

View Full Version : Just venting and ranting and raving...

Stryder
06-07-2005, 10:47 PM
START RANT...

How would you feel?

My brother, 17, has a child. His girlfriend's (the girlfriend is 15) parents are quite well off.

My brother doesn't have a job. He is now out of school for the summer and will be a senior next year.

The girlfriend's parents had gotten them a brand new GMC Canyon 4x4 truck. They've had it a little over a year.

As of yesterday they were going to let them trade in the Canyon and a Camping trailer that the parents had bought for them for a Hummer, but they instead settled for a brand new GMC Envoy, fully loaded (DVD, etc.)

I find something wrong with him not working, and I've voiced my opinion to my mother an father, and was basically told to shut up.

But this is sickening. I see my brother not realizing he needs to be responsible. My parents seem to think this is ok. I don't.

It's kind of depressing. I've tried to do things the "right" way, if there is such a thing. I have a degree; I'm married; I bought a house; I have a full-time job; I pay all my bills.

Just a rant. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I just want my brother to be appreciative of what he has and "man" up and take some responsibility.

I'm not into material possessions, but I think it's sickening to see a 17 year old kid handed the keys to a brand new vehicle without working for it, or even putting out the effort of trying to work for it.

END OF RANT.

MSA2CF
06-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Next best thing I can think of is talk to your brother face-to-face.

SoupIsGood
06-08-2005, 01:47 AM
A child at 15? Wow.

It sounds like the parents are trying to ease the burden of having to deal with a child at such a young age.

They might have gone a bit far though.

Stryder
06-08-2005, 07:41 AM
A child at 15? Wow.

It sounds like the parents are trying to ease the burden of having to deal with a child at such a young age.

They might have gone a bit far though.

Actually, a child at 14.

Kegboy
06-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Sounds to me like her family has some issues.

grace
06-08-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm not "issues" covers what is wrong with her family. As for parents, well, I'd handle things a lot differently.

Stryder, since no one in your family apprears to be listening to your very good advice the only advice I can give you is to lead by example.

Vicious Tyrant
06-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Ugh. This kind of shiznit happens all the time with the kids I work with.

My advice: You can't do anything, don't try. This family is deep into their crap. Life will teach the lessons here, not you. Just do the best you can with your own life, they'll see it believe me. When the bottom falls out, be a good friend and continue to live a life they can learn from. That's about the best you can do.

Vicious Tyrant
06-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Arrgh! Grace you beat me to the punch!

Stryder
06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Ugh. This kind of shiznit happens all the time with the kids I work with.

My advice: You can't do anything, don't try. This family is deep into their crap. Life will teach the lessons here, not you. Just do the best you can with your own life, they'll see it believe me. When the bottom falls out, be a good friend and continue to live a life they can learn from. That's about the best you can do.

Thanks.

I've been trying to do what you said and I will continue to do it, but sometimes, it just gets me down...

Stryder
06-08-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm not "issues" covers what is wrong with her family. As for parents, well, I'd handle things a lot differently.

Stryder, since no one in your family apprears to be listening to your very good advice the only advice I can give you is to lead by example.

Thanks for the advice. :buddies:

As of last night, I told myself that I wasn't going to worry about the situation and just live my own life by my standards.

Vicious Tyrant
06-08-2005, 11:14 AM
but sometimes, it just gets me down...

Of course it does. People you care about are damaging themselves, and taking a child with them.

:banghead:

:(

Unclebuck
06-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Stryder, I completely agree with you.

The word that kept coming to my mind is adoption. I have a sister who was unable to have kids herself so they adopted from "young parents" and it has been great, and the young parents can make grow up as the should.