PDA

View Full Version : Kravitz blasts Tinsley on WDFN (detroit radio).......

Kstat
05-18-2005, 04:14 PM
He called Tinsley "brain-dead," and critisized Carlisle for not putting him on a shorter leash. He said the street-baller in him takes over too often, and implied that he challenges Ben Wallace out of ego.

I think all of that is pretty unfair.

Also he said that Larry Bird would puke his guts out before having fun with an opposing player during a playoff series.

Cactus Jax
05-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Well it's obvious to him because he followed Bird's career with the Celtics...oh wait he didn't.

Not sure 100%, but I remember Bird and Magic having a little bit of fun with each other even during the finals games, but don't quote me on that.

Peck
05-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Well it's obvious to him because he followed Bird's career with the Celtics...oh wait he didn't.

Not sure 100%, but I remember Bird and Magic having a little bit of fun with each other even during the finals games, but don't quote me on that.

Actually if somebody can find the quote from Bird in an old Star article he talked about how Rick Robey was his best friend on the team but once he was traded he had no use for him because he was no longer a Celtic.

I think that is taking it to the extreme the other way, IMO. There can be a middle ground on this & somewhere we need to strike it.

Since86
05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Krapitz needs to swallow his pen and just stay out of the national media. Having him do anything with Indy sports is like me being the reporter of the NE Pats, although I think he hates the Pacers more than I do Tom Brady.

brich
05-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Actually if somebody can find the quote from Bird in an old Star article he talked about how Rick Robey was his best friend on the team but once he was traded he had no use for him because he was no longer a Celtic.

I think that is taking it to the extreme the other way, IMO. There can be a middle ground on this & somewhere we need to strike it.

I think I read about this in one of Larry's books. I think this is just one of those philosophy's that he has...kind of like the three year coaching rule.

Cactus Jax
05-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure about that story at all, but if that's true than it's petty.

I definently don't worship Bird, but I do respect how he played the game and his passion, but he wasn't exactly the biggest nice guy out there.

gilpdawg
05-18-2005, 04:55 PM
I think I read about this in one of Larry's books. I think this is just one of those philosophy's that he has...kind of like the three year coaching rule.
I think the deal with that is, he is still friends with the guy, but not before or after a game when they play each other. I know he was good friends with Joe Kleine, even after Kleine got traded, because he was gonna bring him to the Pacers when he was coach, but he didn't wanna ruin their friendship by being his superior. He said something like that in "Bird Watching."

And by the way, Kravitz is dead right about Tinsley.

Since86
05-18-2005, 05:11 PM
And by the way, Kravitz is dead right about Tinsley.

Maybe about him being in there too long, but his personal attacks are uncalled for. There's a difference when you slam someone's decisions, and slamming them in general. Going on a Det radio and saying crap like that is below classless. If I were Tins, I'd definately pull a Jason Williams next time he tried interviewing me.

Unclebuck
05-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Krapitz is supposd to be on WNDE 1260 the JMV show today, not sure what time

pacerwaala
05-18-2005, 05:43 PM

That sounds cold but that is the way it should be. This is professional sports. THat is what was great about Bird. He looked at it as a job, had fun at it and was damn serious about it. His allegiance was always to the owners, city, franchise and fans. That is the way it should be.

JO and Sjax should learn that. SJax should stop socializing with players from other teams. It disgusted me to see him go and shake hands with the Pistons players after getting his *** kicked in game 5.

Chuck Daly was on AM1270 Detroit and said "In our time, we were not brought up to like your opponent, I guess it is a different world now"

gilpdawg
05-18-2005, 05:48 PM
I didn't hear Kravitz's comments, but last night, Tins WAS brain-dead. Maybe a bad choice of words though, although criticism is justicified in this case. BTW, I love Tins' game 90% of the time, so I'm not bashing the guy. I like him.

Since86
05-18-2005, 05:50 PM
He called Tinsley "brain-dead," and critisized Carlisle for not putting him on a shorter leash. He said the street-baller in him takes over too often, and implied that he challenges Ben Wallace out of ego.

Especially the ego part. It's quite ironic to hear Krapitz talk about someone else's ego being a problem.

PacerMan
05-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Tinsley is exactly right to go right at Wallace. Just too bad that it's our 6'1" pg and not our big guys. Somebody's got to challenge him.
I will admit it looked like he got into an ego battle with Billips. And lost.

Brian
05-18-2005, 06:19 PM
I dont care what he says about tinsley,If it werent for Jamaal I really doubt we wouldve made it this far.

BigMac
05-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure about that story at all, but if that's true than it's petty.

I definently don't worship Bird, but I do respect how he played the game and his passion, but he wasn't exactly the biggest nice guy out there.

But he was a WINNER! And that is all I want for MY team-the Pacers!

What's the saying, "Nice guys finish last"?

beast23
05-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Tinsley has removed nearly all the playground from his game.

Now, if Kravitz wants to question Tinsley's decision-making, I'll go along. But, last night we seemed to have an epidemic of poor decisions.

I don't know about ego, but Tinsley is either a supremely confident player, or an enormously stubborn one. The other night, hoisting up three missed 3-point shots in a row early in the game wasted 3 important possessions when we could have built a lead. Last night, he penetrated the lane, but wouldn't dish... he just kept challenging Ben.

But I think Kravitz' comments being made over the air in an opponent's city go way beyond the limit of tolerance. If I were the Pacer's brass, I'd declare Kravitz off limits to the team and the organization. You talk to Kravitz, you get a $1000 fine.

On another note, I can't say that I really have any respect for Kravitz' comments regarding basketball. I haven't seen anything particulary informative from him regarding the Pacers, and I really believe a large contingent of posters on our own forum are much more knowledgeable about the sport, its strategy and the Pacer team / players than Kravitz.

IMO, Kravitz has taken it upon himself to make so many negative comments regarding the Pacers this season because he's pissed that he missed out on his beloved hockey season.

Anthem
05-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Tinsley's the only reason we're in this series. Brain-dead? If only Jermaine was.

Kegboy
05-18-2005, 08:24 PM
I'll give a yummy cookie to whomever can come up with a dead :badger: icon for me. The bloodier, the better.

grace
05-18-2005, 08:32 PM
I think Kravitz' comments being made over the air in an opponent's city go way beyond the limit of tolerance.

That would be the reason Jermaine didn't talk to the local media when he was hurt and is probably why Ron hasn't either.

IMO, Kravitz has taken it upon himself to make so many negative comments regarding the Pacers this season because he's pissed that he missed out on his beloved hockey season.

If he's such a hockey freak he shouldn't be wasting his time in Indiana. Think maybe Detroit would take him off our hands? :pray:

Kstat
05-18-2005, 08:36 PM
oddly enough, he did say the pistons/pacers rivalry was never even come CLOSE to being what the Wings/Avs rivalry was. He said he missed the fact those teams would have bench-clearing brawls every other game.

Tell you what: We'll take Kravitz, you can have Drew Sharp.

Kegboy
05-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Tell you what: We'll take Kravitz, you can have Drew Sharp.

I'd take that deal. I don't care how bad whomever replaces him sucks, I can't stand the little ***** anymore.

Anybody who makes me appreciate Robin Miller deserves his own circle in hell.

grace
05-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Anybody who makes me appreciate Robin Miller deserves his own circle in hell.

If you miss him that much I saw him on Speed Channel last week.

Kegboy
05-18-2005, 08:50 PM
If you miss him that much I saw him on Speed Channel last week.

YEA!!

(runs off to watch 607)

Bball
05-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Back when Bird was the coach he complained the Indy media was too soft. He wanted them questioning the team.

I've always felt :bunny: might have a problem with Larry Bird and I am starting to wonder if some of the changes (Wells now the beat reporter... Kravitz failing to follow the "Pacer code of silence", etc) are actually something that is wanted by Bird and/or others in the organization. IOW, some of these changes in reporters and coverage are actually done with the team's blessing if not involvement.

I have no proof of any of this except Bird most certainly complained of the Indy media being too soft. That is not speculation.

-Bball

Bat Boy
05-18-2005, 09:50 PM
I've always felt :bunny: might have a problem with Larry Bird and I am starting to wonder if some of the changes (Wells now the beat reporter... Kravitz failing to follow the "Pacer code of silence", etc) are actually something that is wanted by Bird and/or others in the organization. IOW, some of these changes in reporters and coverage are actually done with the team's blessing if not involvement.

-Bball
Wells, Kravitz, the Bunny, Robin Miller, Bill Benner. Does no one here lament the departure of the great C. Jemal Horton? :laugh:

Ragnar
05-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Kravits is a moron then. If anything he needs to take the rains off and let them run. They have shown that they can beat Detroit when they do and that they cant when they do the slow *** half court crap.

Suaveness
05-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Kravitz is and always will be a moron. It's in his nature

3Ball
05-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Didn't Wilt and Russel hang out together? Seems like I remember one eating at the other guy's mother's house before games.

beast23
05-18-2005, 10:45 PM
oddly enough, he did say the pistons/pacers rivalry was never even come CLOSE to being what the Wings/Avs rivalry was. He said he missed the fact those teams would have bench-clearing brawls every other game.

Tell you what: We'll take Kravitz, you can have Drew Sharp.What the hell, Kstat?

You've got a 3-2 lead in this series. I thought you could be a little more gracious than that.

What if you take Kravitz, keep Sharp, and we throw in Bender and a bag of Doritos?

Kstat
05-18-2005, 10:51 PM
What the hell, Kstat?

You've got a 3-2 lead in this series. I thought you could be a little more gracious than that.

What if you take Kravitz, keep Sharp, and we throw in Bender and a bag of Doritos?

I'd prefer someone more physical that could be more durable in the post.

So yeah, you keep Bender. We'll take Kravitz. And the bag of Doritos.

beast23
05-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Yeah, you're probably right.

I'm pretty sure the Doritos would hold up better in the post than Bender.

But Bender's got a lot more potential than the Doritos. You probably haven't considered that, have you?

Kstat
05-18-2005, 10:57 PM
But Bender's got a lot more potential than the Doritos. You probably haven't considered that, have you?

Yeah, but a year's worth of extra cheesy doesnt cost me 6 million dollars....and they have a longer expiration date.

Arcadian
05-18-2005, 11:26 PM
I think the biggest problem with sports journalism is that biggest part of the job has become saying what is wrong with the team. Some are smart enough to know others just resort to *****ing.

waterjater
05-19-2005, 02:29 AM
But he was right...I hate Kravitz as much as the next guy......

BUT, Tinsley came back in the game when we were up 31-27. He proceeded to get in a verbal and physical battle with Arroyo. He took offense to the contact by Arroyo and then threw an elbow....offensive foul,,,,then got outplayed the rest of the quarter as Arroyo kicked his ***.

This is when the game was lost. We needed him to come in a direct the offense, NOT HAVE A PERSONAL SHOWDOWN WITH ARROYO. TINSLEY LOST that battle and gave Detroit all the momentum they needed to hand us a horrible defeat!

Water

cramerica
05-19-2005, 02:45 AM
I love Tinsley's heart...but lately I have hated his execution. And I don't like when he gets flusterred, he takes stupid fouls. But whoever said we wouldn't be here without JT is right. Just stop making those stupid passes -- actually, that goes for everybody.

indygeezer
05-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Admittedly it was a long time ago, and players were making alot less $$$$ back then, but the Packers Gaurd Jerry Kramer addressed this issue of friendliness towards the opponent this way..." I always viewed that guy across the line from me as evil. He was trying to beat me and take away my livlihood. He was trying to take food out of my childrens mouths." *caution not a direct quote, but very close*

Now these guys get paid so much they don't have to worry about their kids getting enough to eat, but maybe they should think about their opponent trying to take away their chance for a ring.

I gotta admit, I read Kravits first before anything else. Often I throw the paper away w/o reading anything else. If ya notice game recap articles are just that, they are re-caps there is NEVER anything worth reading in them. Nothing but a bunch of bobble-head platitudes. The same comments, quotes, cliches, get thrown out after ever game. There are a set for interviews after a loss and another set for after a win. The Beat writer stories are alwys the same. If you saw the game, you don't need to read them. But Kravitz at least stirs up some thought. Agree, disagree, or even think they are moronic, at least he says something that causes thought and comment.

Oh GOLLY....I JUST DEFENDED KRAVITZ !!! OK, I'll admit it...I miss Benner too.

Bat Boy
05-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Oh GOLLY....I JUST DEFENDED KRAVITZ !!! OK, I'll admit it...I miss Benner too.
Geezer, if you're really a geezer you must also remember the Star's sports writers from bygone days, Bob Collins and Dave Overpeck. I still think Overpeck was the best the Star has ever had on Pacers coverage.

indygeezer
05-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Geezer, if you're really a geezer you must also remember the Star's sports writers from bygone days, Bob Collins and Dave Overpeck. I still think Overpeck was the best the Star has ever had on Pacers coverage.

Agreed.....I'd forgotten about DO and Collins had a unique style all his own, especially good at the 500 coverage.

And I still miss Jerry Baker on the radio.

beast23
05-19-2005, 10:16 AM
And Jimmy Angelopolous, who came over from the Times when it folded.

Bat Boy
05-19-2005, 06:22 PM
And Jimmy Angelopolous, who came over from the Times when it folded.
Man, I hadn't thought about that name in years. You must be a geezer too! :laugh: