PDA

View Full Version : Timeouts

ChicagoJ
05-18-2005, 12:42 PM
I thought the purpose of the 'mandatory' timeouts at the 6:00 (charged to the home team) and 3:00 (charged to the visiting team) mark of each quarter, and the 9:00 minute mark ("officials's timeout") of the second and fourth quarters, was to ensure to advertisers that their commercials would get played.

If you take a timeout earlier in the quarter, then there's no "mandatory".

So why didn't that logic hold up last night? The Pacers took their timeouts early, TNT's advertisers got thier airplay.

So why the mandatory and the technical in the fourth quarter, just because we took our TOs in the third period?

It obviously didn't matter, but I certainly didn't follow Craig Sager's logic (how's that for an oxymoron?)

Can somebody offer up a better explanation?

Kstat
05-18-2005, 01:30 PM
The Pistons didn't take any early timeouts that quarter. The clock has to be stopped 3 times MINIMUM in the 4th, no matter what. That's the rule.

Its not just for commercial time, its so the players can get rest.

Unclebuck
05-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Jay, look at it this way. In theory, each team then could call all their timeouts in the first quarter and the the rest of the game there would be no timeouts. I know last night it was a strange feeling late in the 3rd when the Pacers had no timeouts

Actually my brain kicked into gear and has come up with a better explanation. I would imagine sponsors pay more for a commercial in the 4th quarter than they do for a commercials in the first quarter. So TV has to be guaranteed commerical time in each quarter

ChicagoJ
05-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks, guys.

The Pistons didn't take any early timeouts that quarter. The clock has to be stopped 3 times MINIMUM in the 4th, no matter what. That's the rule.

Its not just for commercial time, its so the players can get rest.

If that's true, then okay. But I didn't realize that was the rule.

Jay, look at it this way. In theory, each team then could call all their timeouts in the first quarter and the the rest of the game there would be no timeouts. I know last night it was a strange feeling late in the 3rd when the Pacers had no timeouts

Actually my brain kicked into gear and has come up with a better explanation. I would imagine sponsors pay more for a commercial in the 4th quarter than they do for a commercials in the first quarter. So TV has to be guaranteed commerical time in each quarter

Now that makes sense...

Stryder
05-19-2005, 04:44 AM
It's a very stupid rule that should be done away with...