PDA

View Full Version : Something I don't understand

dannyboy
05-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I have seen some people complain about what players do with their personal time lately. This seems very unreasonable to me. Are they supposed to eat, sleep, and breath basketball 24 hours a day because itís the playoffs?

Itís kind of like if I had a job in some competitive industry where there was a deadline (or goal) to reach and, for the 2 months that precede the deadline, there was increased competition, scrutiny, and pressure. I have to do extra and work harder, but I am still going to go home and unwind and occasionally try to enjoy myself, possibly engaging in leisure activities that involve my family, or even my friends.

For these guys to make it to the NBA, they have to love the game and be extremely dedicated, and I am pretty sure that just about every player in the league wants to win (maybe some more than others). But, at the end of the day, basketball is their job. And as long as they are at every practice, every shoot-around, every workout, every film session, and every game giving 100%, I donít care what they do with their personal time as long as they arenít breaking the law or violating their contract.

shags
05-18-2005, 11:13 AM
I have seen some people complain about what players do with their personal time lately. This seems very unreasonable to me. Are they supposed to eat, sleep, and breath basketball 24 hours a day because itís the playoffs?

Itís kind of like if I had a job in some competitive industry where there was a deadline (or goal) to reach and, for the 2 months that precede the deadline, there was increased competition, scrutiny, and pressure. I have to do extra and work harder, but I am still going to go home and unwind and occasionally try to enjoy myself, possibly engaging in leisure activities that involve my family, or even my friends.

For these guys to make it to the NBA, they have to love the game and be extremely dedicated, and I am pretty sure that just about every player in the league wants to win (maybe some more than others). But, at the end of the day, basketball is their job. And as long as they are at every practice, every shoot-around, every workout, every film session, and every game giving 100%, I donít care what they do with their personal time as long as they arenít breaking the law or violating their contract.

Good post.

This was brought up with the Jason Williams incident with the columnist at the end of Memphis' season.

I think fans need to come to the realization that sometimes we care more than the players do.

NewType
05-18-2005, 11:16 AM

To use your example, it would be like hanging out with a buddy of yours who worked for a competing company. As you said, it's crush time, shouldn't you avoid seeing your buddy during this period.

For JO, he does seem to have problem bringing it against his pals. It seems that he can't channel to the right mode to play against them, and obviously, hanging out with them in between games wouldn't help.

I know players are human and should be able to do whatever they want in their own time. But during the playoff, it's different. To me, it's a matter of how much you are willing to sacriface for your goal. If JO really likes to hang out with Rasheed that much, he can do all he wants during the off-season and no one will say a thing about it.

dannyboy
05-18-2005, 11:19 AM
To use your example, it would be like hanging out with a buddy of yours who worked for a competing company. As you said, it's crush time, shouldn't you avoid seeing your buddy during this period.

For JO, he does seem to have problem bringing it against his pals. It seems that he can't channel to the right mode to play against them, and obviously, hanging out with them in between games wouldn't help.

I know players are human and should be able to do whatever they want in their own time. But during the playoff, it's different. To me, it's a matter of how much you are willing to sacriface for your goal. If JO really likes to hang out with Rasheed that much, he can do all he wants during the off-season and no one will say a thing about it.

Having a problem with JO hanging out with Rasheed during a head to head playoff series, I understand.

I just don't agree.

ChicagoJ
05-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Never has an advertising slogan been more false than "One Goal."

It shouldn't really matter what these guys do off the court, but if they're going to hang out with the opponent, lose focus, etc., then quit trying to sell me on the fact that these guys are supremely focused.

However, ot the best of my knowledge, nobody's *****ing at 'Sheed for hanging out with JO. So JO's got to figure out if he's mentally tough enough to separate his friendships from his primary goal at work? Because apparently 'Sheed is.

grace
05-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Personally during the playoffs I'd rather the players sit at home and concentrate on the next game. JMO.

As for Jermaine and Sheed being friends I don't have a problem with it. I'm still friends with people I used to work with. It doesn't make me bad at my job.

I have a hard time believing Jermaine can't play well against his friends because they're friends. It seems to me because he's so competitive he'd want to beat them bad. Maybe he wants it too bad.:shrug:

I'm not making any judgements this year because JO is hurt.

Bball
05-18-2005, 12:08 PM
However, ot the best of my knowledge, nobody's *****ing at 'Sheed for hanging out with JO.

Bi+ching at him? They are probably encouraging it. It seems to be one more bullet in their arsenal of things they've figured out to beat us.

-Bball

DisplacedKnick
05-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Personally during the playoffs I'd rather the players sit at home and concentrate on the next game. JMO.

For two straight months?

grace
05-18-2005, 12:21 PM
For two straight months?

If you're playing every other day, hell yes.

Play like Miami, get a week off. If that happens take the wife or girlfriend (not both) out to dinner. If your kids live in the same general area spend a day with them. Explain that daddy has to work really hard to get a really pretty ring. When that happens everybody gets to go to Disney World. :woot:

For those who don't have family close by go rent "Hooisers".

Like I said, it's JMO.

Tim
05-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Charles Barkley once said its more fun to beat a friend because you get to rub it in for a lifetime.

Joe Dumars once said he became friends with Jordan back when Detroit was the only team that could stop Jordan and the Bulls in the Playoffs. Joe Dumars let it slip that Bill Laimbeer might not be as mean as he is lead to beleive, which basically means that when Laimbeer let Jordan know driving the lane on him may be a career threatening mistake he didn't mean it. Jordan won his first championship after that.

I don't think Daddy Rich (Chuck Daly), Laimbeer and the rest of the bad boys were too happy about that, but thats just a rumor.

Isiah became friends with Magic sometime before Detroit became a force. Isiah said the first time Detroit met LA in the playoffs, Isiah stopped by Magic's house during the series for a friendly visit. Instead of Magic's usual warm smile and greeting, he would not speak with Isiah or let him in the house. I don't remember the exact words Magic said to Isiah but it was basically 'we are at war until the playoffs are done and you are my enemy' and coldly shut the door on him. Isiah was shocked at first but later on understood and respected Magic for what he did. He basically helped Isiah become a cold hearted killer.

BigMac
05-18-2005, 06:55 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I relate it to when I have a big presentation at work that I spend weeks on, I don't go out socially, spend little time with the family, and I eat, sleep, and breathe the project I am working on.

But this is something that they get paid millions of dollars a year to do. Put the social life and the weed down while you are in the playoffs. Try to stay focused and have no distractions. Too many distractions. If you don't get it now, you never will (directed at anyone reading this, not specifically DannyBoy).

FireTheCoach
05-18-2005, 07:08 PM
I have to do extra and work harder, but I am still going to go home and unwind and occasionally try to enjoy myself, possibly engaging in leisure activities that involve my family, or even my friends.

...at the end of the day, basketball is their job. And as long as they are at every practice, every shoot-around, every workout, every film session, and every game giving 100%, I donít care what they do with their personal time as long as they arenít breaking the law or violating their contract.

Dude..... sounds like you're talking about the players on the LOSING team to me.

It's about focus IMHO....

dannyboy
05-18-2005, 10:37 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I relate it to when I have a big presentation at work that I spend weeks on, I don't go out socially, spend little time with the family, and I eat, sleep, and breathe the project I am working on.

But this is something that they get paid millions of dollars a year to do. Put the social life and the weed down while you are in the playoffs. Try to stay focused and have no distractions. Too many distractions. If you don't get it now, you never will (directed at anyone reading this, not specifically DannyBoy).

I think I used the wrong title. I guess I understand, I just don't agree.

My current job is pretty low stress, but in college I had several very big projects that basically determined if I would graduate or not. I put in the time and effort (sometimes a lot of extra time and effort) and got the job done. And, believe me, I had a lot of fun along the way doing non-classwork related activities. I had classmates that spent every waking moment of every day doing their work or worrying about their work, and I just can't live like that. Life is too short to be stressed out over that stuff. I feel like if I did what I needed to do and took care of my business, why stress out over it when I could be enjoying the world around me?

I consider myself to be a big sports fan, but it is probably not as important to me as it is to others. I want to see my favorite teams succeed, but if they donít, so what? There are a whole lot of other things more important to me (too many to list). I get WAY more enjoyment out of winning a basketball game at the park with my cousins or friends than seeing my favorite pro team win. For me, watching an NBA or NFL game is almost no different than going to the movies or a concert. Pure entertainment. If the Pacers win a title, should I be checking my mailbox for my championship ring?

Also, the concept of Ďthey get paid millions of dollarsí means very little to me. They are paid millions for a reason. Itís called supply and demand. The supply of NBA-caliber basketball players is low so the demand is high and they are compensated accordingly. If there were only a handful of people in the world that could do what I do, and millions of dollars were generated from it, I would also be compensated accordingly.

Skaut_Ech
05-18-2005, 10:46 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with ya, Mac!! :shakehand

I'll go a step further. Fromn the moment every NBA player steps on the court, he supposedly has one goal in mind.

:champions

His whole professional career is dedicated towards that goal. He makes his body strong as he can. He studies his opponents weaknesses. He develops a certian kind of hate for guys who stand in his way.

During the season, after a game, sure they may hang out. That's only natural. You do cultivate some friendships, but....

come playoff time, everyone is the enemy. Everyone. (within your conference.)

Despite all your work, you still need to have that certain edge. That certain special hate for your foe that makes you have just that extra inch on your jump :flex:, that extra shove when going for a loose ball :boxer: (http://misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=7#) :boxer:.

I truly believe you can't have that if you're hanging out with your foe the night before. :(:hmm:

You think Ali hung out with Frazier the night before the fight?

You think Tom Brady was hanging out with Jevon Kearse before the Superbowl?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess "no."

I think part of the edge you get is from making the other guy the enemy.

You have all summer to hang out with no commitments on your time other than counting your millions. If your goal is a title, if that's what your life is dedicated towards, then I would think you could curtain the sleepovers, play dates, whatever, for two months until you achieve your goal or have given your all trying.

I don't think that's too much to ask and I can't believe every athlete doesn't think that way.:irked:

brichard
05-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Everytime it is playoff time I remember the Larry Bird "We all played like a bunch of sissies" speech to the media.

I don't know that I have ever seen a more dramatic change in a team, and at that time I was a Laker fan.

People were flying, tempers were flaring, and make no mistake... Boston just came out and kicked some serious butt. Larry Bird was not a nice guy on the court, but he also knew how to compete.

Now would it make a difference? I'm not sure on an individual level it would, but as a team it could. If one team hates another (ie Knicks/Pacers) it is very palpable.

As I think of the whole JO/Sheed thing it reminds me of my High School wrestling days. A good friend of mine and I almost always practiced together. And man... was it tough. We knew each other's every move, so it was almost impossible to surprise one another. We would just stand there getting each other in a front headlock and winding up at a stalemate. It was so much easier to go against somebody else.

I think part of what might be in JO's head is remembering getting his lunch handed to him daily by Sheed in his early days. In spite of how much he is improved, maybe he just can't shake it.

"Hey JO, who's your Daddy?"

Answer: Rasheed Wallace