PDA

View Full Version : Let's Pretend

indygeezer
05-16-2005, 07:48 AM
You're the GM of the new St Louis Skyline in the NBA and you've narrowed your choice for coach to two men (they are both available) which do you select..........

Rick Carlisle..........

Mike Brown...........

and you are considered the best GM in the business...who are you???

(I really don't expect this to get much play, but there is way too much negativity around here right now, so lighten up guys.)

ABADays
05-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Carlisle is a proven commodity so I would have to go with him. Brown has unlimited potential and is great in practice.

As far as GM. There are three (at least with my limited knowledge) - Walsh, West and Dumars.

DisplacedKnick
05-16-2005, 10:37 AM
OK - I'll bite.

I'm a cross between Jerry West, Greg Popovich and Joe Dumars created through Gene-splicing in some lab somewhere. And I pick Mike Brown because he could energize my young, undisciplined expansion team better than Carlisle.

Diamond Dave
05-16-2005, 10:40 AM
OK - I'll bite.

I'm a cross between Jerry West, Greg Popovich and Joe Dumars created through Gene-splicing in some lab somewhere. And I pick Mike Brown because he could energize my young, undisciplined expansion team better than Carlisle.

Exactly

grace
05-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Who gives a crap about the coach? A good team starts with its media coverage. I'd beg, barrow, and steal in order to get Bob Costas to come back to St. Louis.

Isaac
05-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Man, for a second I thought the St. Louis Skyline was actually going to be an expansion team :embaressed:

I would take Carlisle because any time you have a chance to get a coach that has that much success to coach an expansion team, you have to take it.

Anthem
05-16-2005, 01:07 PM
I somehow haven't been that impressed with the job West has done since he picked up Shaq and Kobe...

The Grizz are respectable, but nobody fears them.

Kegboy
05-16-2005, 02:14 PM
If it's an expansion team, you have to go with Brown, for the same reason why Carlisle wouldn't have worked here after our Finals team was broken up. Carlisle is great at game prep and execution, but you need somebody who can relate to youngin's and make them better. Mike can do the first, but I'm not sure about the second. Which is why I'd look long and hard at Mark Aguirre as an assistant. Then, I'd get a Dick Harter/Ron Rothstein mentor type that any rookie coach needs to succeed.

The problem is, neither Rick or Mike would ever take an expansion job, because, not only is it beneath them, but any such venture is doomed to failure. That's why Bernie's doing it the right way in Charlotte, taking the heat for a few years before bringing in a real coach. Too bad Sam had to screw things up and take the Toronto job.

WEST
05-16-2005, 02:55 PM
If I'm a GM I would hire Brown. My name is already Jerry West so that takes care of the GM name.

PS I go by J.D. and I'm not related to the "real" Jerry West