PDA

View Full Version : How is it that Reggie only takes 6 shots?

brichard
05-15-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm asking the question b/c I couldn't watch the game. I heard it on the radio. I'm in new home sales, so I work every Sat/Sun.

I do know this. Of his 6 shots, 4 were behind the arc.

I don't have a problem with Reggie behind the arc, he does it well. But why, please tell me why he doesn't try driving a little? When he brings his complete package he is so much harder to defend and we are a much tougher team to beat.

I know he has to realize it, so was he just covered up today?

Kegboy
05-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Peck will cover this in detail, I'm sure, but his best friend defer-Reg showed up today, and it wasn't pretty. Sure, they had some good D on him early, but then he just got it in his head he wasn't going to shoot, except for one stretch where I think he shot on 3 straight possessions, and hit once.

Sollozzo
05-15-2005, 10:46 PM
I think it's the most frustrating thing in the world.

Sure the Pistons D is tough on him. But Reggie has shown he can play against their d, as he did in game 2. Who could forget the Christmas day game, where Reggie was lighting Detroit up early on, taking the ball off of the dribble.

I don't buy age or any of that crap. There are 2 Reggie's that showed up this season. One where JO was on the floor, one where JO was absent. When JO was absent when Reggie came back in early December, Reggie was a huge scorer, and was lighting team after team up with his midrange game. The period from when JO returned to JO's early March injury was ugly as far as Reggie's game is concerned.

Then when JO got hurt, something magical happened. Reggie was a huge lift, and literally put the franchise on his back. He was again lighting teams up. Reggie had it in his mind that he had to be "the man" then, and the team greatly benefited from it.

When I watch him play with JO on the court, it just drives me nuts. The majority of the time he is passive. Maybe he doesn't realize that JO is banged up, and his offense pretty much sucks right now. Reggie is retiring, and he is referring to a beat up Jermaine O'Neal. How is that? Did Reggie forget how tough this team was when he carried them when JO was hurt? He is so concerned with not being "the man" that it is having an extremely negative effect on his game and the team.

Is Rick to blame on some of this? I think some blame should be put on Rick for allowing this to happen. But most of the blame should go to Reg for not stepping it up himself.

If I have one regret about his career, it's that Reggie was too unselfish at times. Jordan, Bird or Magic would have never deferred to other players in crunch time, no matter how late in their careers they were. Hell, in LA, you had Shaq and Kobe basically fighting about who "the man" was.

I think it's for the best he is retiring. He can obviously still play, but since it definitely looks like we're getting Ron back, Reg wouldn't have been much of a factor next year.

JO has his whole career to be "the man", but he's hurt, and it's still your franchise Reg. You aren't helping much playing like you did today.

All I'm saying is, you're retiring Reg, this is it......Why not act like it?

3ptmiller
05-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Tell me.. when your team is down by 20 points and you have an off night, would u still jack up shots and ballhogg in hope to tie it up? Just to satisfy us?

Reggie aint that kind of player, never was... He is a very intelligent player and knows his body and his capability, this means he knows when its Possible to tie up a game or even win it depending on how Hot he is that night.

Having confidence and knowing what weapon he has capable to launch when the game is on the line. One example is the 94 Knicks-Pacers game when they took timeout and he begged for the ball and told them to trust him, he came out and scored 8 pts in 8 seconds...

He has done it so many times, so its like he can see the Future you know? In Game 4... even if he would hit 6 3PT shots in a row, we would have not Won.

Isaac
05-15-2005, 11:04 PM
He has done it so many times, so its like he can see the Future you know? In Game 4... even if he would hit 6 3PT shots in a row, we would have not Won.

Well, actually we would have. Considering how we only lost by 13, and 6 straight threes would have gotten us 18...

3ptmiller
05-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, actually we would have. Considering how we only lost by 13, and 6 straight threes would have gotten us 18...

Well i maybe was overreacting a bit, no way he would hit 6 in a row in such short time, maybe 4... ive seen him do it thats why, but that would lead us to 1 points loss right? So u see... Reggie is a Gandalf from LOTR! :D

brichard
05-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Well i maybe was overreacting a bit, no way he would hit 6 in a row in such short time, maybe 4... ive seen him do it thats why, but that would lead us to 1 points loss right? So u see... Reggie is a Gandalf from LOTR! :D

I don't think any shooter, much less anybody as cocky as Reggie (I say cocky in a good way,) ever thinks he is going to miss his next shot. Rather I subscribe to the theory that he is putting confidence in this being "JO and Jax" team.

That is fine for him to defer to a point, but when your team is getting man-handled, go for the ball. And hey, go for a higher percentage shot. As sharp as Reggie is behind the arc, he is deadly inside the arc. A jump shot for him is like a layup, so step inside once in awhile and hit that "J" Reg! PLEASE!

pacerwaala
05-16-2005, 12:00 AM
He had three wide open threes that he missed. So he probably was a little cun shy. I don't think the Pistons D was all that great. It was good but the Pacers missed a lot of wide open shots.

3ptmiller
05-16-2005, 01:50 AM
And i hate how people are saying.. this player is OFF, this player is ice cold, this player is not on Fire, this player is playing bad etc.

I dont know if u guys play basketball but.. a basketball player is never "OFF", the shots wont just fall in, u can call it "No Luck" instead thats better. But when u are Airballing all the time then YES, you are "OFF"...

brich
05-16-2005, 08:24 AM
And i hate how people are saying.. this player is OFF, this player is ice cold, this player is not on Fire, this player is playing bad etc.

I dont know if u guys play basketball but.. a basketball player is never "OFF", the shots wont just fall in, u can call it "No Luck" instead thats better. But when u are Airballing all the time then YES, you are "OFF"...

I tend to believe in a shooter's rhythm. If your jumper isn't falling for whatever reason in a game, then it is time to start driving more. Sometimes I swear our guys think that there are only two shots to take: 3 pointers, or points in the paint. A nice shot fake and a mid-range jumpshot isn't the end of the world, and driving is a wonderful thing.

Reggie doesn't have to be a one dimensional player, but I kind of felt like he was last night. I think he needs to find ways to get to the line when his jumper isn't falling. Usually he heats up a bit after making a few easy buckets, and he finds his shot.

I don't know if it is Reggie's fault, or the coaching staffs fault, but he wasn't used well yesterday. I absolutely love Reggie Miller, but if he isn't involved on offense versus the Pistons, then I think he becomes a liability for us. He works hard on defense, and he is an OK defender, but he is certainly no stopper.

3ptmiller
05-16-2005, 10:48 AM
I tend to believe in a shooter's rhythm. If your jumper isn't falling for whatever reason in a game, then it is time to start driving more. Sometimes I swear our guys think that there are only two shots to take: 3 pointers, or points in the paint. A nice shot fake and a mid-range jumpshot isn't the end of the world, and driving is a wonderful thing.

Reggie doesn't have to be a one dimensional player, but I kind of felt like he was last night. I think he needs to find ways to get to the line when his jumper isn't falling. Usually he heats up a bit after making a few easy buckets, and he finds his shot.

I don't know if it is Reggie's fault, or the coaching staffs fault, but he wasn't used well yesterday. I absolutely love Reggie Miller, but if he isn't involved on offense versus the Pistons, then I think he becomes a liability for us. He works hard on defense, and he is an OK defender, but he is certainly no stopper.

Reggie aint a one dimensional player... well, maybe today it seems like it! But he is a "Shooter" u know.. he shoots! And i agree with you that we shouldnt Jack Up so many 3PT shots, im talking about JAX and some other players... JAX should not shoot 7 attempts per game from the Arc, he can easily just go in for a layup or a hook or fadeaway and draw some fouls...

This annoys me alot when everyone is jacking up so many 3PT Shots, Reggie should be the only one with 5-7 Attempts from 3PT Arc.. even if he aint hitting them. Sure he can also drive to the hoop and draw fouls like no other player in nba history but we need the rest of the team to take at least more Close range shots. Leave the 3PT shots to the greatest shooter in nba history.