PDA

View Full Version : I'm calling for JO to temporarily end relations with Rasheed

McKeyFan
05-15-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm tired of hearing them get together on a personal basis. Talk on the phone. Whatever.

I just think it's unprofessional to carry on socially during a playoff series. Afterwards, fine. Regular season? Maybe. During a head-to-head series? Take a break,dude.

He can argue that it doesn't affect his game. Well . . . it clearly isn't helping!

I read something a few weeks ago where Reggie isn't very sociable before games. Someone was dissing him for it. I said, 'Bravo.' You can be sociable later. Game time, or playoff time, is the time to be serious and professional.

JO, tell Sheed you'll chat again when the series is over.

McKeyFan
05-15-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm fairly cool with it--except during crucial games/playoff games. There's no crime in taking a little break.

P.S. And don't you think, just maybe, that Rasheed is in his head? If Sheed were to balk at JO taking a little break from being buddies, you can be sure he is, indeed, manipulating him.

Which is not even the primary reason I think he should not talk with him right now. The primary reason is that it's just human nature to be a little less aggressive toward someone you have a personal relationship with. As an investigative reporter, I deal with this temptation on a regular basis. This all can apply to the previous threads about lack of killer instinct. A "killer" wouldn't be chillin out with his prey.

grace
05-15-2005, 08:05 PM
What they do behind the scenes I don't care (unless it's sharing the playbook or something). What I can't stand is all the hugging before the games. The captains can shake hands when they go to mid court as a show of good sportsmanship but the rest of it turns my stomach.

Note to the next person who has a party in the middle of the playoffs [cogh]Dale[cough]: If you're going to invite the opposing team you better invite the refs too. Obviously the oversite ticked off todays refs.

Shade
05-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I could care less what JO and Sheed do on their personal time. I just want JO to kick his *** on the court. :devil:

grace
05-15-2005, 08:15 PM
I just want JO to kick his *** on the court. :devil:

He can kick all he wants to. Only problem is he gets called for fouls when he does it.:(

Unclebuck
05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Maybe J.O just can't score on Sheed

McKeyFan
05-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Maybe Sheed's in his head. JO's got a little of Bender's deer-in-the-headlights thing going on right now. He's not quite right. He needs to figure it out.

Shade
05-15-2005, 08:33 PM
I hate to bring this up, but is this a injur effecting JO more then he wants to admit?....

I seriously doubt the injury is still much of a factor.

grace
05-15-2005, 08:37 PM
I seriously doubt the injury is still much of a factor.

It is if it gets aggravated.

McKeyFan
05-15-2005, 08:53 PM
This is not injury related. He had a groove and rythm against the Celtics. This problem is pscyological.

Arcadian
05-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Taking inside against the Pistons is different that taking it inside against the Celtics.

What would help more than anythingis if we hit the outside shots. When a team packs it in it isn't the inside players' fault we lost.

Unclebuck
05-15-2005, 09:31 PM
In order to beat the Pistons you most hit outside shots and a few midrange shots. If you take it inside all the time they can load up on the inside and its murdergear up and

pacerwaala
05-15-2005, 09:35 PM
agree 100%. 70% of this game is mental. Everybody has the Physical tools. If you start eating fried chicken and collard greens (this is just a JOKE) together on off days of the playoffs, I do not think you can go strong against your buddy on the other team.

You cannot have it both ways. Jeff Van Gundy was right on the money when he said "M Jordan manipulates players by being friendly off the court and killing them on it". That is why I always admire Reggie for never backing down from MJ. Even though MJ had more physical talent, on the mental aspect Reggie and MJ were the same.

same with Sjax - stop checking with the Pistons players whether they are ok after a hard foul.

I probably am on the extreme on this but I do not even like the way the NHL players have a handshake at the end of a series. This is PROFESSIONAL sports, not amaetur sports. It is like two companies vying for a contract. You do not congratulate another company if you just lost out on a getting a contract.

FiestyFosterFanatic
05-15-2005, 09:44 PM
JO needs to stop hanging out with the enemy.

Kegboy
05-15-2005, 10:10 PM
It is if it gets aggravated.

As grace herself pointed out during the game, JO didn't come out until the very last second of halftime. That tells me he was having something worked on, which tells me he's hurting.

grace
05-15-2005, 10:11 PM
This is not injury related. He had a groove and rythm against the Celtics. This problem is pscyological.

How do you know? Did David Craig tell you JO is A-O.K.?

pacerwaala
05-15-2005, 11:42 PM
How do you know? Did David Craig tell you JO is A-O.K.?

David Craig did not tell anybody that JO is not ok either. So based on the good games he has had against the Celts and the Psitons, I have to assume he is fine.

sweabs
05-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Completely agree with most of the comments in the thread. During crucial playoff games, especially, I don't want them hanging out with each other. It just doesn't set the right tone for once you step onto the court.

And one of my biggest pet peeves in the world, is when guys are on the court being all buddy-buddy with one another. That is yet another reason I'm obsessed with Artest. You will never see Artest going over to a guy on the opposing team and laugh it up and give him a playful hug in the heat of battle (maybe that's because he has no friends or people to do that to...:laugh: ).

I just cannot handle that stuff. The players on the opposing team are the enemy. At a time like this, you shouldn't be hanging out with them; you should be focussing on your game and what you can do to overcome them!

By the way, I think Vince Carter would have to be the worst for this kind of stuff by FAR. I sat through many years of watching that crap on TV. Raptors fans hated it too.

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-16-2005, 01:07 AM
I agree. During the Playoffs, the enemy is the enemy. If you're in it to win it, stay on your side of the wall until after the war is over.

In the old days, consorting with the enemy, treason! ;)

SoupIsGood
05-16-2005, 01:21 AM
A friendship is greater and more important than any basketball game, playoffs or no playoffs. :twocents:

sweabs
05-16-2005, 01:25 AM
A friendship is greater and more important than any basketball game, playoffs or no playoffs. :twocents:

That's fine. I'm sure you can go a week or two without talking to your friend. You get an entire offseason to go and meet for tea parties.

But during the games/series, it's all business. Otherwise, you just aren't going to be as competitive as you should be.

SoupIsGood
05-16-2005, 01:42 AM
But during the games/series, it's all business. Otherwise, you just aren't going to be as competitive as you should be.

But Jermaine's problem isn't that he isn't competitive. He was giving maximum effort out there, but Rasheed defends him tough, and I'd imagine his injury isn't helping.

sweabs
05-16-2005, 01:46 AM
But Jermaine's problem isn't that he isn't competitive. He was giving maximum effort out there, but Rasheed defends him tough, and I'd imagine his injury isn't helping.

Sure, valid points. But I don't like watching him back-away from Sheed. Sure, Sheed's defense has something to do about it, but go at him, take a charge...do something.

I get this feeling out of their friendship that Rasheed is the loud-mouthed guy that can get away with talking smack and intimidating JO, and Jermaine is soft-spoken, and too nice of a guy - and just takes it. :whoknows:

grace
05-16-2005, 10:17 AM
David Craig did not tell anybody that JO is not ok either. So based on the good games he has had against the Celts and the Psitons, I have to assume he is fine.

And since he had all those good games I suppose he doesn't need to come out and warm up with the team during halftime. :rolleyes:

Players do not stay in the locker room for the entire halftime when nothing is wrong.

ChicagoJ
05-16-2005, 04:20 PM
JO's injury isn't expected to be fully healed for several more months.

He's just barely healthy enough to play, and he should be getting credit for not making excuses.

But anyone that thinks a rotator cuff injury heals that fast on its own is probably just inexperienced with rotator cuff injuries. When I sprained mine in a bicycle accident(granted, it was a second-degree sprain and I separated the CV and AC joints as well), it was a multi-month physical therapy process. Yes, JO's in better condition, so it should take less time.

Even while not makes excuses for him, we should acknowledge that the shoulder is nowhere near 100% healthy and give him credit for the commitment he's shown by getting back on the court as soon as possible.

Graywolf_59
05-16-2005, 04:30 PM
I could care less what JO and Sheed do on their personal time. I just want JO to kick his *** on the court. :devil:(AMEN)

NotLosingButWinning
05-16-2005, 04:43 PM
I could care less what JO and Sheed do on their personal time. I just want JO to kick his *** on the court. :devil:

i agree 100%.