PDA

View Full Version : NBA Ref Hate List

FiestyFosterFanatic
05-15-2005, 05:52 PM
To get my mind off of the game, what refs do you hate? I guess I will start my list.

Joey Crawford
Violet Palmer
Dick Bavetta (sp)

PacerNation
05-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Steve Jaffee (spelling?)
Dick Bavetta

Jermaniac
05-15-2005, 06:00 PM
The refs who where doing our games against the Sixers this year, I dont know who they where but its them.

FiestyFosterFanatic
05-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Ed Rush

ebroemel
05-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Top of the list must be Jess Kersey for his BS 4 point continuation play for Larry Johnson in the 1999 playoffs vs. Knicks.
That call is burned in my brain forever as one of the worst.

Johnson gets barely touched by Antonio Davis, takes a dribble and then drains a 3. OUCH!!

PacerNation
05-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Top of the list must be Jess Kersey for his BS 4 point continuation play for Larry Johnson in the 1999 playoffs vs. Knicks.
That call is burned in my brain forever as one of the worst.

Johnson gets barely touched by Antonio Davis, takes a dribble and then drains a 3. OUCH!!

That was beyond a bad call. That was a deliberately favorable call for the other team. It's calls like that, that support the argument for some sort of accountability for referees.

Shade
05-15-2005, 07:39 PM
ALL OF THEM.

Next question?

Unclebuck
05-15-2005, 08:28 PM
I think a new rule needs to be instituted at all Pacers games. if a fan is going to yell at a ref the whole time. Please learn their name and stop yelling at them using the number on their jersey, it just loses all effectiveness

The worst ref out there tyoday was not Javie. It was Grillo.

Shade
05-15-2005, 08:31 PM
I think a new rule needs to be instituted at all Pacers games. if a fan is going to yell at a ref the whole time. Please learn their name and stop yelling at them using the number on their jersey, it just loses all effectiveness

The worst ref out there tyoday was not Javie. It was Grillo.

But, that's just the thing, UB. They shouldn't affect the game so much that we know their names.

grace
05-15-2005, 08:34 PM
But, that's just the thing, UB. They shouldn't affect the game so much that we know their names.

EXACTLY!!!

After the game started and we were getting hosed I turned to Kegboy and said I'd rather have :dancingba . I would say he couldn't be any worse than Javie, but as soon as I say that he'll throw Reggie out during his last game.

FiestyFosterFanatic
05-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Anyone know if NBA.com sells ref jersey's? I'd love to go as my most hated ref for Haloween.

Kegboy
05-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Grillo was the more obvious, like that foul he called on Tinsley at half court from the other side of the floor, but Delaney was just as bad. He's got some serious hate going for us this year, and I don't know why.

Shade's right about us knowing their names. In the NFL the ref addresses the crowd on every call, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Ed Hockley, and that's only cause my sister thinks he's hot. (Hell, I'll even admit he's good looking, and I'm only 26% gay. :D)

Sometimes I think NBA officiating would be better if they had to turn on a microphone and address the crowd on every call. Make them a bit more accountable.

And, just in case anyone forgot, the state of NBA officiating is #3 on my list, behind Larry Bird's extortion and Stern.

pacerwaala
05-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Dick Bavetta

sweabs
05-16-2005, 12:41 AM
Capers!!!

Right Pistons fans? :laugh:

BigMac
05-16-2005, 12:55 AM
The sad thing is that we can name so many of the refs. This says it all. They should not be a part of the game. We should not notice them. But here's my list of the refs I don't like (I put an asterisk by the ones I really, really, do not like and would fire them within a minute if their jobs were ever in my hands).

6 Jim Clark

7 Bernie Fryer

8 Luis Grillo *

9 Derrick Stafford

10 Ron Garretson *

11 Nolan Fine

12 Don Vaden

14 Joe DeRosa

15 Bennett Salvatore **********

16 Ted Bernhardt

17 Joey Crawford * (only one asterist because he should have thrown Reggie out with a second tech in his farewell game but didn't)

18 Mark Wunderlich

19 James Caspers

20 Jess Kersey *

21 Tim Donaghy

22 Bill Spooner

23 George Toliver

24 Mike Callahan

26 Bob Delaney *

27 Dick (Knick) Bavetta *

28 Tommy Nunez (actually one of my favorites)

29 Steve Javie ***** (should have been fired when making his famous comment to Pat Riley)

30 Gary Benson

32 Eddie Rush *

33 Sean Corbin * (he's too skinny and loses control of games too easily)

34 Ronnie Nunn *

35 Jack Nies * (a lousy ref and his son is a drug addict and an sob)

36 David Jones (I loved The Monkeys)

37 Blane Reichelt * (Dork)

38 Michael Smith

39 Kevin Fehr

40 Leon Wood *********** (an even worse NBA ref than he was an NBA player-how did Bob Knight keep this guy on the 1984 Olympic Basketball Team?)

41 Ken Mauer *

42 Hugh Hollins (no longer reffing but I would keep him-Jordan hated him!)

43 Dan Crawford *

44 Ron Olesiak

45 Joe Forte *

47 Bennie Adams

48 Scott Foster

49 Tom Washington

51 Leroy Richardson

52 Pat Fraher

54 Derrick Collins

55 Bill Kennedy

56 Tony Brothers

57 Greg Willard

58 Monty McCutchen

59 Gary Zielinski

60 Scott Wall

61 Courtney Kirkland

62 Michael Henderson

63 Derrick Richardson

64 Marc Davis

66 Violet Palmer ( I like watching games she refs because the players very rarely talk back and let her ref-she is inconsistent but doesn't seem to favor one team)

67 Jason Phillips

68 Tony Brown

70 Phil Robinson

71 Rodney Mott

72 Anthony Jordan

73 Ed Malloy

74 Matt Boland

75 Troy Raymond

79 Zach Zarba

I don't know how current this list is but I found it here:

http://www.pistonsconspiracy.com/refs.asp

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Refs tonight sucked. Sorry, but they did. Did you notice what happened after the Pacers closed it to six?

pacerwaala
05-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Refs tonight sucked. Sorry, but they did. Did you notice what happened after the Pacers closed it to six?

I know what happened. We turned it over twice.

grace
05-16-2005, 11:07 AM
66 Violet Palmer ( I like watching games she refs because the players very rarely talk back and let her ref

That's because most NBA players are smart enough to fear PMS.

ChicagoJ
05-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Javie and Bob Delaney are two of the better refs.

Luis Grillo wasn't very good yesterday, but he was bad for both teams.

Dan Crawford and Joe Crawford are good.

Jim Clark is good.

I used to like Leon Wood. I've changed my mind.

Bavetta, Berhardt, Kersey and Salvatorre all suck. Along with Mike "Fuzzhead" Mathis.

Unclebuck
05-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Javie and Bob Delaney are two of the better refs.

Luis Grillo wasn't very good yesterday, but he was bad for both teams.

Dan Crawford and Joe Crawford are good.

Jim Clark is good.

I used to like Leon Wood. I've changed my mind.

Bavetta, Berhardt, Kersey and Salvatorre all suck. Along with Mike "Fuzzhead" Mathis.

I can agree with your assessment. Although you left out everyone's favorite. Bevetta.

I've said in the past that Bevetta is a good offical but he makes a lot of strange calls. he calls a lot of travelling, a lot of offensive fouls. But he'll make the tough calls.

Every official makes bad calls in every game, but the better refs through their experience know how to control a game. (I know some of your heads are about to explode, "control the game" why not just call it as you see it. That might sound good but there is no way to call every game the same

Kegboy
05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
I'd agree with BigMac's asterisks, for the most part, even though my list would probably have asterisks next to all of them. :shrug: Great call on Corbin, btw.

There are three you left out I want to focus on, however. Scott Foster, who I never noticed until this year. He officiated a preseason game back in October that was just shockingly bad. I couldn't believe a ref could **** up a preseason game, but he did. I've watched him every time since, and he's awful.

Second is Tony Brothers, who has a real short fuse. He threw out Isiah in consecutive appearances Zeke's first year.

Third is Ed Malloy. He used to ref the women, and he was the worst they had. He didn't even call a foul when Ruth Riley broke Tamika's nose right in front of him (talk to a Fever ticketholder and they'll tell you what a horribly dirty play that was. One of the ushers is Ruth's cousin, and he even admitted she should have been tossed.) Of course a year later he got called up to the Bigs. :shakehead

waxman
05-16-2005, 02:23 PM

We got to within six because of some questionable calls against Detroit.... i was thinking Detroit fans must screamin' at the TV about now, but the officials quickly made up for it....and we were back down by 16pts in a matter of minutes... helped out by a series of questionable calls against us.

The refs giveth and the refs taketh away.

Shade
05-16-2005, 02:27 PM
We got to within six because of some questionable calls against Detroit.... i was thinking Detroit fans must screamin' at the TV about now, but the officials quickly made up for it....and we were back down by 16pts in a matter of minutes... helped out by a series of questionable calls against us.

The refs giveth and the refs taketh away.

The refs sucketh asseth.

Harmonica
05-16-2005, 02:38 PM
29 Steve Javie ***** (should have been fired when making his famous comment to Pat Riley)

What comment was that?

BigMac
05-16-2005, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Harmonica]What comment was that?[/QUOTE}

During the game he told Riley (when coaching) that he and the other refs were loving that fact that he was getting his a$$ handed to him-i.e. that he was losing. I don't remember the exact quote but Javie had to apologize and I believe he was suspended for a time for that comment.

BigMac
05-16-2005, 02:44 PM
What comment was that?
http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1514733.html

Referee Stafford received two-game suspension

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The NBA does not announce disciplinary action taken against its referees, but ESPN.com has learned that two game officials were recently sanctioned in the wake of run-ins with Miami coach Pat Riley -- one suspended and the other fined.

Reportedly, referee Derrick Stafford told Pat Riley to go 'on TV crying.'
Derrick Stafford, who clashed with Riley during a Heat-Blazers game just before the All-Star break, was required to serve a two-game suspension this month, according to league sources. Newspaper reports quoted Stafford telling Riley during the game: "It's not about you. Go on TV crying."

Riley was fined $20,000 for "publicly criticizing game officials to assembled media" after that game.

Steve Javie, meanwhile, has been fined $1,000 by the league office for his part in an exchange with Riley early in the 2001-02 season. The incident didn't get national attention until December of this season, when Riley was fined $50,000 for saying leaguewide "dislike for me over the years" among referees -- specifically Javie -- was influencing the way Heat games are officiated.

"It all started, I think, last year," Riley said Dec. 13 after a loss to the Knicks. "I think I sort of sensed something changing last year when Steve Javie, in Cleveland -- and to his delight, obviously, absolute delight, as we were getting beat, and going through a real tough time -- came to my face, after we were having a discussion, and said, 'It's giving us absolute delight to watch you and your team die.' "

NBA vice president of operations Stu Jackson declined comment through a spokesman Wednesday, citing the league's policy of not discussing internal communications with its referees.

Jackson did acknowledge during All-Star Weekend in Atlanta that the league was "investigating both sides" of the Stafford-Riley incident from Feb. 5. Commissioner David Stern, however, said in Atlanta that he remains against publicly disclosing disciplinary measures taken against game officials.

"I just think in light of the competitive challenges when players and coaches get a hold of certain information, it might further erode the ability of these gentlemen to do the job that they do so well," Stern said at his annual state-of-the-league address. "So I'm resisting that."

A week before his clash with Riley, Stafford drew the ire of Sacramento coach Rick Adelman and Kings center Vlade Divac in Sacramento's home loss to the Los Angeles Lakers on Jan. 31. Divac was quoted in the Sacramento Bee as saying that Stafford told Doug Christie, "Tell Vlade this is not the last game of yours I'll be working this season."

Javie was back in the news again last week for ejecting Memphis coach Hubie Brown and Adelman in separate games in a span of three days.

Kegboy
05-16-2005, 02:52 PM
:pissed:

God, I can't believe I forgot about that. Imagine if JVG had said the same thing. :o

waxman
05-16-2005, 03:00 PM
The refs sucketh asseth.

Indeed.