PDA

View Full Version : Vescey on the Pacers.

Unclebuck
05-15-2005, 10:56 AM
As usual Vescey has some things we don't read in the "Star"

http://nypost.com/sports/46588.htm

BIRD'S WORD

May 15, 2005 -- INDIANAPOLIS - Just as he did during his halcyon epoch with the celestial Celtics, Pacer president Larry Bird transmitted some wisdom to his team immediately following its creepy 79-74 Friday the 13th win that put Indy up 2-1 on the Pistons in their best-of-seven playoff series.

"I told 'em Sunday is Game 7," an animated Larry Legend told boss Donnie Walsh and a couple others after visiting the locker room. "That must be their approach."

"I've been around a while. I kinda know these things," Bird beamed.

"Yeah, Larry told us it's the most important game of our season," Jermaine O'Neal later acknowledged. "He also told me and Jack we owe him one."

I'll say! The Pacers' franchise player and Stephen Jackson - either the first or second offensive option due to Ron Artest's suspension and O'Neal's injured shoulder - evenly split 16 points on 6-for-28 inaccuracy. Jermaine was a feeble 2-for-11 with six rebounds before fouling out with 2:30 left while his team clung to a two-point lead that had once been 19. In addition, the pair nearly combined equally for an underwhelming seven turnovers.

O'Neal and Jackson are forever indebted to Reggie Miller for getting off so easy with Bird. Imagine the brackish content of his post-game message had Indiana Bones not notched seven of his team's final nine points en route to a team high 17 and, as Cry Me A (Doc) Rivers, er, Larry Brown noted, the referees hadn't favored the rising retiree down the home stretch.

Still, despite the slew of "sympathy" calls/non-calls, I suspect Brown would eagerly admit under cross-examination Miller ain't half bad for a "one-dimensional" player. That's what Brown branded Miller in his go-away speech as Pacers coach.

Mel Daniels snickered at Brown's implication that Miller was strictly a (catch-and-shoot/spot-up) shooter ... though I don't doubt it was a contorted compliment and we just misinterpreted it.

"Reg may only do one thing well," harrumphed the Pacers' head scout, "but he does it very, very, very well. When you shoot as well as he does, it's more than enough."

By the way, I've got news for Brown, who made a big production about Miller's basket that iced matters with 10.7 left, alleging he sent Lindsay Hunter sprawling with a push-off:

You can't expect to get that call against that guy in that building at that postseason time, especially when your team played most of the game as if it were in Athens.

During last season's Eastern Conference Finals, Rasheed Wallace guaranteed a win in Game 2 at Conseco Fieldhouse after the Pistons dropped the opener; Detroit won 72-67 and took the series 4-2. Now he's making the same guarantee.

"Oh, we're definitely going back to Detroit with this thing 2-2, no questions about it," he declared after helping hold O'Neal to 2-for-11 FG and posting 13 points and nine boards.

Nevertheless, it's not as if he distinguished himself at crunch time. On two open looks from 3-point range, Wallace failed to draw iron. He also was involved in two critical turnovers in the final moments, though Jackson's fake toward a cutting Tayshaun Prince caused him to misconnect with Wallace on the sideline.

"He can say whatever he wants, but I guarantee it ain't happenin' again," stressed O'Neal, who vowed to play a smarter, more physical game today. Meaning fewer perimeter springers, no standing still holding the ball, a quicker reaction to penetration and more muscling up inside with one Wallace or the other.

"Rasheed's length enables him to get a hand in my face when I shoot jumpers. I'm bigger than him. I've got to take him down low and use my body to my advantage," O'Neal said. "Ben is stronger but smaller than Rasheed. He's really not that good defensively one-on-one."

Wait 'til Big Ben gets a whiff of O'Neal's claim. Only a few days ago the Pistons' undersized center (lower body as well as height) Wallace was named NBA defensive player-of-the-year. Of course, that's without last season's recipient around to compete for the award.

Considering Big Ben instigated the Nov. 16 free-for-all by attacking and being the first in the Palace to start throwing things at Artest, it seems Wallace should be a lock to win offensive player-of-the-year as well.

Suaveness
05-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Well it IS true. Ben is a great help defender, and doesn't play one-on-one against JO well.

Peck
05-15-2005, 11:06 AM

BIRD'S WORD

May 15, 2005 -- INDIANAPOLIS - Just as he did during his halcyon epoch with the celestial Celtics, Pacer president Larry Bird transmitted some wisdom to his team immediately following its creepy 79-74 Friday the 13th win that put Indy up 2-1 on the Pistons in their best-of-seven playoff series.

"I told 'em Sunday is Game 7," an animated Larry Legend told boss Donnie Walsh and a couple others after visiting the locker room. "That must be their approach."

"Yeah, Larry told us it's the most important game of our season," Jermaine O'Neal later acknowledged. "He also told me and Jack we owe him one."

I'll say! The Pacers' franchise player and Stephen Jackson - either the first or second offensive option due to Ron Artest's suspension and O'Neal's injured shoulder - evenly split 16 points on 6-for-28 inaccuracy. Jermaine was a feeble 2-for-11 with six rebounds before fouling out with 2:30 left while his team clung to a two-point lead that had once been 19. In addition, the pair nearly combined equally for an underwhelming seven turnovers.

O'Neal and Jackson are forever indebted to Reggie Miller for getting off so easy with Bird. Imagine the brackish content of his post-game message had Indiana Bones not notched seven of his team's final nine points en route to a team high 17 and, as Cry Me A (Doc) Rivers, er, Larry Brown noted, the referees hadn't favored the rising retiree down the home stretch.

Still, despite the slew of "sympathy" calls/non-calls, I suspect Brown would eagerly admit under cross-examination Miller ain't half bad for a "one-dimensional" player. That's what Brown branded Miller in his go-away speech as Pacers coach.

Mel Daniels snickered at Brown's implication that Miller was strictly a (catch-and-shoot/spot-up) shooter ... though I don't doubt it was a contorted compliment and we just misinterpreted it.

"Reg may only do one thing well," harrumphed the Pacers' head scout, "but he does it very, very, very well. When you shoot as well as he does, it's more than enough."

By the way, I've got news for Brown, who made a big production about Miller's basket that iced matters with 10.7 left, alleging he sent Lindsay Hunter sprawling with a push-off:

You can't expect to get that call against that guy in that building at that postseason time, especially when your team played most of the game as if it were in Athens.

During last season's Eastern Conference Finals, Rasheed Wallace guaranteed a win in Game 2 at Conseco Fieldhouse after the Pistons dropped the opener; Detroit won 72-67 and took the series 4-2. Now he's making the same guarantee.

"Oh, we're definitely going back to Detroit with this thing 2-2, no questions about it," he declared after helping hold O'Neal to 2-for-11 FG and posting 13 points and nine boards.

Nevertheless, it's not as if he distinguished himself at crunch time. On two open looks from 3-point range, Wallace failed to draw iron. He also was involved in two critical turnovers in the final moments, though Jackson's fake toward a cutting Tayshaun Prince caused him to misconnect with Wallace on the sideline.

"He can say whatever he wants, but I guarantee it ain't happenin' again," stressed O'Neal, who vowed to play a smarter, more physical game today. Meaning fewer perimeter springers, no standing still holding the ball, a quicker reaction to penetration and more muscling up inside with one Wallace or the other.

"Rasheed's length enables him to get a hand in my face when I shoot jumpers. I'm bigger than him. I've got to take him down low and use my body to my advantage," O'Neal said. "Ben is stronger but smaller than Rasheed. He's really not that good defensively one-on-one."

Wait 'til Big Ben gets a whiff of O'Neal's claim. Only a few days ago the Pistons' undersized center (lower body as well as height) Wallace was named NBA defensive player-of-the-year. Of course, that's without last season's recipient around to compete for the award.

Considering Big Ben instigated the Nov. 16 free-for-all by attacking and being the first in the Palace to start throwing things at Artest, it seems Wallace should be a lock to win offensive player-of-the-year as well.

:o :o

Holy crap!!!!!

He better back that up today cause Big Ben ain't gonna like that talk.

Harmonica
05-15-2005, 11:10 AM
That article was all over the place.

SoupIsGood
05-15-2005, 11:17 AM
That article was all over the place.

No kidding.

I just saw that the Skipper Baylen, or whoever he is, is slighting the Pacers big time over on ESPN. He was praising Detroit and San Antonio's team defense, and then when it came to the Pacers.... acted like they had none.

:rolleyes: How does he think we got this far? Our red-hot offense?

ImCrazyB
05-15-2005, 11:20 AM
:o :o

Holy crap!!!!!

He better back that up today cause Big Ben ain't gonna like that talk.
Rofl, I hope they put Big Ben on JO. JO abused Ben Wallace last time they put him against Jermaine 1 on 1. Rasheed is a much better 1 on 1 defender then Ben. Remember the finals last year? Shaq absolutely dominated Ben Wallace.

Shade
05-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Holy crap...did JO just guarantee a win today? :eek:

Thigs are getting very interesting now...

shags
05-15-2005, 11:58 AM
:rotflmao:

Thank you, Jermaine O'Neal. Thank you for calling Ben Wallace the worst defensive big man in the league (and before you bash me, THAT'S how it will be translated, especially once Rasheed Wallace gets a hold of it).

I'm a little less worried about the Pistons' energy level now. Just a little.

FiestyFosterFanatic
05-15-2005, 12:05 PM
If Jermaine comes out and plays like **** again, i'll be pissed.

DisplacedKnick
05-15-2005, 12:16 PM
I've never had much of a problem with a player saying their team was gonna win the next game. So what? Rasheed gets some play because of HOW he says it, but no big deal.

JO's "Ben's not really that good of a one-on-one defender" quote's a little more troubling - except JO isn't the key to this series - not on offense anyway. The number 1 key is Tinsley breaking down the defense. In fact that's the only individual player key I have - really (obviously either team would take someone playing out of their mind for a game or two). Beyond that it's all the effort things - rebounding, defense, loose balls, etc.

Gotta love this stuff.

Suaveness
05-15-2005, 12:28 PM
I haven't exactly read that quote anywhere else, though.

Jermaniac
05-15-2005, 12:42 PM

BIRD'S WORD

Love the Quote by JO, I hope he backs it up

Kegboy
05-15-2005, 12:57 PM
I haven't exactly read that quote anywhere else, though.

I don't believe anything Peter Vecsey writes without independent verification. Hell, he makes up half the stuff he writes anyway, who's to say he hasn't branched out into making up quotes.

Jermaniac
05-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Thats what I thought, I just cant see JO saying that about Ben. But who knows.

kerosene
05-15-2005, 03:23 PM
No kidding.

I just saw that the Skipper Baylen, or whoever he is, is slighting the Pacers big time over on ESPN. He was praising Detroit and San Antonio's team defense, and then when it came to the Pacers.... acted like they had none.

:rolleyes: How does he think we got this far? Our red-hot offense?

Bayless is an idiot.

grace
05-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Vessey was there again today sitting next to the Pacemates. While I'd rather not have him here at all why in the he!! is he down there?

Kegboy saw him downing a beer after halftime so I wouldn't be surprised if his next column is written through an alcohol haze.:cheers:

McKeyFan
05-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Well, JO's first move of the night (game 4), he took it straight to Ben, who then proceeded to reject JO's ten footer back to halfcourt. I'm ready for some action from JO and less talk.

grace
05-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Considering JO didn't come out after half time until right before tip off I didn't expect much of anything out of him in the second half.

Unclebuck
05-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Maybe J.O can't score on Sheed