PDA

View Full Version : Will we start to see something of a "Pucker Effect?"

DisplacedKnick
05-14-2005, 12:18 AM
For those who don't know what that means, hopefully it'll become clear.

This is the first time Detroit's been tested since last years EC semi's - the first time they've been down in a series. I was really surprised by the lack of passion on their part this game. Even when they came back in the 4th I didn't get a sense that they were throwing much extra into the game - it was more a case of Indy easing up (and not putting the game away in the 3rd).

So now they're facing what IMO amounts to a must-win in Game 4. We've seen how the Pacers respond in that situation - it'll be interesting to see how Detroit does. I could see them coming out with an early rush - but for some reason I get the feeling that they might not do so well if the Pacers take the body shots they throw and are still standing.

This Detroit team just does not have the same feel - at all - as last year's. I can't put my finger on it but I just don't sense the effort, concentration - the will they had last year. And it doesn't hurt that right now the Pacers are a better team than they were in last year's ECF.

I was just wondering about that on the drive home - it isn't something I'd have thought about Detroit last year - I thought that team would scratch and claw and dig for everything. (Hope no players read this) Guess we'll find out.

shags
05-14-2005, 12:26 AM
THE PACERS WILL WIN GAME 4!!!

I can't say it more emphatically than that. I've watched nearly every Piston's game this season, and I feel very strongly about this.

This year's Piston team is so god damned arrogant it makes me sick. They're like the Lakers. The more I think about it, the more I truly believe it, although no one here will give me any credit, because of previous posts.

I really don't think the Pistons truly respect the Pacers. It's not just the Pacers, though, it's every team. They think they're better, and they play like they can walk on the floor and the other team will lie down. I'll be really surprised if the Pistons come out with a lot of intensity and focus towards execution in Game 4. They think they can walk on the floor and win. It's disgusting, especially when you see a team like the Pacers, who have overcome every obstacle in the book, go out and kick your team's *** two games in a row simply because they wanted it more.

Unclebuck
05-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Pistons will scratch and claw on Sunday. Pacers will have to play much better to have a chance to win game #4

shags
05-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Pistons will scratch and claw on Sunday. Pacers will have to play much better to have a chance to win game #4

Read my post, UB. I just disagree. Maybe I'll feel differently after I've slept on it. We'll see.

MSA2CF
05-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Yeah, there'll be a pucker effect. Rasheed kissing our collective Pacers' :whistle:

canyoufeelit
05-14-2005, 12:32 AM
You're waaaay too much of a pessimist shags. I think - and yes it's a possiblity - that the Pacers will have to play out of their minds to win this next game. And if it goes back to Det 2-2, it's a 3 game series with the Pistons having HCA. That's why game 4 is more of a must win for Indiana than it is for Detroit.

shags
05-14-2005, 12:37 AM
You're waaaay too much of a pessimist shags. I think - and yes it's a possiblity - that the Pacers will have to play out of their minds to win this next game. And if it goes back to Det 2-2, it's a 3 game series with the Pistons having HCA. That's why game 4 is more of a must win for Indiana than it is for Detroit.

And that's why I think they'll win.

But I could see the Pistons winning the series if they were down 3-1. They're capable of playing 48 minutes at the level they played in the 4th quarter. I'm just pessimistic, I guess, that the Pistons will bring that type of effort and execution to Game 4. They should have brought it to Game 3, just as much as Game 4.

Who knows, though? Maybe Rasheed's guarantee will focus them.

Unclebuck
05-14-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm scared to death about Sunday. Just very nervous

Hicks
05-14-2005, 12:46 AM

So am I.

shags
05-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Although it is nice to see every Pacer fans on this board EXPECTING to win the series now. If UncleBuck has come around, you know pretty much every one here has.

That's pretty much where I was at in the NBA Finals last season after 3 games.

SoupIsGood
05-14-2005, 12:53 AM
I'm confident about Sunday. They aren't going to let yet another opprotunity slip through their fingers, not after nearly doing so today, not after blowing games 4 and 6 with Boston.

But you want know why else I am confident?

Dale Davis. This guy is NOT going to have another bad game. I have no doubt about it, he will return to Savior-Dale form, for at least one game. He is too proud not to.

Edit - Let me clear that up. Dale probably played about average tonight, but was in foul trouble yet again. I think he will be allowed to play his game Sunday, and is going to be releasing a lot of pent-up frustration.

PacerMan
05-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Lets not forget Jermaine was horrible tonight. That's not likely to repeat itself either. :)

SoupIsGood
05-14-2005, 12:59 AM
Lets not forget Jermaine was horrible tonight. That's not likely to repeat itself either. :)

Yes, but not something I'm willing to take to the bank. A lot of his offensive game is the jumpshot, and is inherently less reliable.

However, I thought Jermaine was very good today on defense.

Hicks
05-14-2005, 12:59 AM
Although it is nice to see every Pacer fans on this board EXPECTING to win the series now. If UncleBuck has come around, you know pretty much every one here has.

That's pretty much where I was at in the NBA Finals last season after 3 games.

What the hell are you talking about?? Read UB and I's last posts in this thread, or my thread about finishing teams off.

shags
05-14-2005, 01:07 AM
What the hell are you talking about?? Read UB and I's last posts in this thread, or my thread about finishing teams off.

Why are you nervous or scared about then? It doesn't make sense.

Hasn't it already been a successful season, everything considered, for the Pacers at this point? Sure as a fan you want to win, and definitely moreso considering you're playing the Pistons.

To me, those two posts tell me that there's a change in feelings. I guess we're just different. Pistons were huge underdogs last year in the Finals, and I wasn't nervous about one game. Everything they did was icing on the cake.

Pacers are up 2-1 against a team they were supposed to have no chance against, a team that's the defending world champions. If the Pacers lose the next 3 games, is this season a failure?

If I were a Pacer fan, I wouldn't think so. The tone of some of these posts suggests that attitudes have changed.

Hicks
05-14-2005, 01:17 AM
If I want the Pacers to win against a good team, I'm nervous.

Unclebuck
05-14-2005, 01:21 AM
I just get more nervous with a lead. When I watch a game I'm much more uptight, nervous when the pacers have an 8-10 point lead than when they trail by 8-10 points. Same thing in a series. I find it difficult to believe the Pacers are going to beat the Pistons 3 straight. I know the Pistons will play a very good game Sunday, their best game of this series, better than game #1. If the Pacers don't play their best game of this series they will lose by 10 points

DisplacedKnick
05-14-2005, 01:22 AM
shags - Here's the interesting thing. I haven't been able to bring anyone over to my way of thinking yet but I've been trying since after Game 3 of the 1st rd.

I think, as of this moment, the Pacers are a better team than the one Detroit beat in last year's ECF - and I don't think the Pistons are as good. Never mind them though - I'll explain what I mean about the Pacers.

In last year's ECF I thought the Pacers and Pistons were almost perfectly matched except for one thing - the Pistons had been deep in the playoffs before and knew what it took while the Pacers hadn't been past the 1st rd for a while.

The Pacers have been there now. And if there's one thing you have to give them, after everything they've been through, that team is mentally tough. I can't conceive of a situation where they turn on each other. That's the thing that was missing last year. They have it now.

But there's more. Right now JO and Tinsley are healthier than they were in last year's ECF. They've added Jackson who has a ring from when he was a starter on the Spurs. Artest wasn't a huge factor in last year's series - in some ways he hurt Indy with his shooting, mental breakdowns and the fact that he didn't match up defensively real well with any Pistons. And Jeff Foster is playing like he's NEVER played at the end of a season.

Then you look at the deep reserves who had to play key minutes. Freddie Jones was gonna be buried as the 3rd guard behind Reggie and Jax. James Jones would never have seen the light of day. And though he's not a deep reserve, Reggie's re-asserted himself in the offense. Heck, would Tinsley have had a 20-game stretch where he played like an all-star if this hadn't happened?

I balance all that against Artest not being around and I see a better Pacer team - and a Pistons team that has such a short bench that they have a lineup with Rip, Billups and Hunter on the floor together for extended, critical periods of the game.

So while I predicted the Pistons would win this series, the Pacers winning wouldn't have shocked me. And it would shock me even less now that I saw the Pistons play in person. Some essential passion's missing in them. I don't know what it is, but they aren't the team I saw last year - not even during the 4th when they came back.

Maybe they'll re-discover it now. If they do, they still have a very good shot at winning the series. But if they don't find it by Sunday I don't think they will - no matter what their passion, I don't see them sweeping the last 3 games.

Jose Slaughter
05-14-2005, 02:37 AM
I agree 100% with your comments DK.

I'd mentioned in some previous post about JO & Tinsley being healthy when they were not last season.

As well as the upgrade in our outside shooting.

I picked the Pacers in 6 & I think I'll stick with it.

They win Sunday & the national media will be all over themselves talking about us.

pacerwaala
05-14-2005, 08:02 AM

I have a constant chill down my spine just thingking about that fourth game. We have a golden opportunity here, hope we don't blow it.

indygeezer
05-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Relax folks...we are in a PERFECT position. If we win Sunday we're up 3-1 and going to Detroit. If we lose....we're tied 2-2 and going to Detroit. If it goes 7 we'll have 2 more in Detroit. What is our road playoff record this year?? :D What is our record in Detroit this year? :D

relax...we got em right where we want em.

:buddies:

Jim Beam would help though

DisplacedKnick
05-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Relax folks...we are in a PERFECT position. If we win Sunday we're up 3-1 and going to Detroit. If we lose....we're tied 2-2 and going to Detroit. If it goes 7 we'll have 2 more in Detroit. What is our road playoff record this year?? :D What is our record in Detroit this year? :D

relax...we got em right where we want em.

:buddies:

Jim Beam would help though

Dang Geezer - I hope you're either:

A) Vacationing in Sri Lanka right now or
B) a 22-year-old masquerading as an old fart

Jim Beam right now would destroy me.

Though it does raise a question - does Jim Beam go better with corn flakes or raisin bran?

indygeezer
05-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Dang Geezer - I hope you're either:

A) Vacationing in Sri Lanka right now or
B) a 22-year-old masquerading as an old fart

Jim Beam right now would destroy me.

Though it does raise a question - does Jim Beam go better with corn flakes or raisin bran?

I go with the Raisin bran, that way I can explain the "Healthful benefits" to Mrs. G.

Pig Nash
05-14-2005, 09:07 PM
I also agree with you DK. I'm a higher up in the :sunshine: brigade.

ABADays
05-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Game 4 will be a B!TCH - especially the first quarter.

McKeyFan
05-14-2005, 11:14 PM
I also see something missing this year with the Pistons. My best guess for the reason is the loss of Corliss. Man, I hated him-- which is exactly why he may have been the part that they're missing this year. He had fire, was real competitor, and was clutch.

SycamoreKen
05-14-2005, 11:20 PM
While the game will be a tough one, I'm not going to lose sleep if we lose. Our guys shouldn't be feeling any pressure, just as they shouldn't have coming into the series. We are not supposed to win, so the deeper this series goes the better I feel.

That said, I would have been royally T'ed off if we had lost the last one.

Tim
05-15-2005, 01:06 AM
Pacers will lose Sunday because they can't handle playing from in front, can't take control.

I hope I am wrong.

pizza guy
05-15-2005, 01:31 AM
The Pacers have this tendency this season to win when the chips are stacked against them. To have gone any better than .500 this year is a credit to the coach and the players' toughness, mental toughness. They don't want to lose. They want it to keep going, for Reggie, for everyone who has doubted, who has hated, who has scrutinized. They don't want to lose, and they won't. Detroit needs to pull their heads out their wazoos if they want a chance to win tomorrow. And if they do, I hope the Pacers are on top of things, and they will be because it's Detroit. We bring is for these guys, we really bring it, and Detroit is scared.

Brown said he didn't want to play us, "because of the brawl, and its bad memories." Right....Sheed has to convince himself that they will win Game 4....the Pacers have to win, and the Pistons have to win. The Pacers have fought harder all season, they simply want it more.

PaceBalls
05-15-2005, 01:41 AM

I can't say it more emphatically than that. I've watched nearly every Piston's game this season, and I feel very strongly about this.

This year's Piston team is so god damned arrogant it makes me sick. They're like the Lakers. The more I think about it, the more I truly believe it, although no one here will give me any credit, because of previous posts.

I really don't think the Pistons truly respect the Pacers. It's not just the Pacers, though, it's every team. They think they're better, and they play like they can walk on the floor and the other team will lie down. I'll be really surprised if the Pistons come out with a lot of intensity and focus towards execution in Game 4. They think they can walk on the floor and win. It's disgusting, especially when you see a team like the Pacers, who have overcome every obstacle in the book, go out and kick your team's *** two games in a row simply because they wanted it more.

Even though you are tryin to throw up the JINX... I agree with ya. I saw all those interviews in the summer with Rip and Chauncey and Sheed saying how they were better than the BadBoys of old and how they are the new BadBoys etc... ad naseum...
They definately got a chip on their shoulder, they seem to think they are better than they are. They definately think (including Larry Brown) that they deserve all close calls at the end of close games because of their status.
I think I hate the Pistons more than ever before and nothing would be better than to see them lose the next 2 games vs our hobbled Pacer team minus our best player by 30+ pts. Let them stew on that all summer. Then I can call them the SadBoys :p

wintermute
05-15-2005, 02:01 AM
it's ironic really, that dk and shags have consistently been more optimistic about the pacers' chances than any pacer poster here. iirc, they both predicted the series win over boston way before anyone else.

yet their argument is persuasive. other than for artest, the pacers now are as complete as they ever have been the entire season. it hasn't always been pretty, but all the pieces are there.

i think we pacer fans still have a mental image of the wounded underdog when it comes to the pacers - i know that i continually was surprised (pleasantly) when the team was chalking up victories late in the season, and in every playoff win so far. in a way, that makes it all the more fun for me.

Jermaniac
05-15-2005, 02:16 AM
I'm scared to death about Sunday. Just very nervous I'm so damn nervous about tommorow you would think I'm playing in the damn game.

Monkeydude
05-15-2005, 04:09 AM
This year's Piston team is so god damned arrogant it makes me sick. They're like the Lakers.

They're exactly like the Lakers, I posted the same thing yesterday on another message board. There are a lot of similarities between this series and last year's NBA Finals. Last year the Lakers were the former champions who were so arrogant that they thought they could win the series without even playing hard. Even after they fell behind in the series, the Lakers whined about the referees and blamed their struggles on not playing hard enough, refusing to give the Pistons any respect. They assumed they wouldn't have any trouble coming back and winning the series. With a few exceptions, their fans were equally as arrogant in handing themselves the series. All those things are true about the Pistons-Pacers series this year. Another similarity I see, is that their coach is going to leave when the season is over, and I think the Pistons just might be broken up if they lose this series.

The fact that these two series are so similar up to this point, definitely doesn't mean the Pacers will win the series though.