PDA

View Full Version : Can the Pistons beat our D

Jose Slaughter
05-13-2005, 12:10 AM
In my humble opinion, our defense is what won the game for us on Wednesday.

We were nothing short of amazing on the defensive side of the court after the break. That in turn led to better opportunities on the offensive end.

What do you think the Pistons will try to do to break down our D?

sweabs
05-13-2005, 12:13 AM
I expect to see more dribble-drive penetration by Chauncey in Game 3, looking to get to the rim.

I also expect to see Rasheed get a lot more touches, and demand the ball in the low-post.

The key is defensive rebounding and limiting second-chance points. Foster has shown up for our first 2 games; maybe it's time for Dale to be that man. Someone needs to step up and control the boards like Foster did in Game 2.

TheHotShot31
05-13-2005, 12:15 AM
If we can contain Rip Hamilton, we should be successful on the defensive side.

brichard
05-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Yes. Unfortunately I think the Pistons can beat our D. Just to throw out some examples:

Rasheed- This guy is our toughest cover. He is big and can all the way out to the 3 pt line.

Rip- Rip is Reggie Jr. and he only needs a sliver of daylight to get his shot off.

Billups- This is another guy who hurt us big time last year. I think he can get his shot off any time... good for us he isn't making it.

But... what we can do is make it a series. And the way we make it a series is by playing team defense and having all 5 players go after the ball. We got every single hustle point in the second half last game. We won't get all of those every game, but by keeping after it we should at least get half.

The Pistons fuel on teams making mistakes. Our margin for error here is small. Another way for us to have good defense is to have good offense. If we start bricking shots, Detroit will start breaking and getting easy buckets oand fouls.

able
05-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Billups- This is another guy who hurt us big time last year. I think he can get his shot off any time... good for us he isn't making it.

I wonder where that thought is born, he did no such thing, he averaged 5.7 Ast and 12.2 points in 40 minutes of play per game.

Any damage done by him last year was when Tinsley was out of the games, unless you are referring to him grabbing Tin's hurt leg when he was laying on the floor.

beast23
05-13-2005, 09:46 AM
I really think the bigger question of whether the Pistons can be our defense, is whether the Pacers can play a decent game at home.

Successful teams protect their home court.

The Pacers need to view tonight's game #3 as though it were an away game. Because that is exactly what the odds-makers are doing.

Detroit favored by 3 on our home court. Dammit.

I think it's time for the Pacer to reclaim home territory and knock the odds-makers back on their heels, rather than concede it as the south campus of the Pistions.

brichard
05-13-2005, 10:13 AM
I wonder where that thought is born, he did no such thing, he averaged 5.7 Ast and 12.2 points in 40 minutes of play per game.

Any damage done by him last year was when Tinsley was out of the games, unless you are referring to him grabbing Tin's hurt leg when he was laying on the floor.

I distinctly remember the playoffs being a good learning experience for Billups understanding what Brown expected in a point guard. Part of what he learned is that it was not necessary for him to be one of the top 2 scorers.

I don't remember specifics, but Billups was a guy that hit some back breakers in the series. Rip was the main force, but 12 pts a game isn't too shabby.

Of course I also remember Billups and his Colorado team nailing my beloved Hoosiers in the tournament. This guy isn't Rip Hamilton, but on any given night he can score.

shags
05-13-2005, 10:24 AM
I distinctly remember the playoffs being a good learning experience for Billups understanding what Brown expected in a point guard. Part of what he learned is that it was not necessary for him to be one of the top 2 scorers.

I don't remember specifics, but Billups was a guy that hit some back breakers in the series. Rip was the main force, but 12 pts a game isn't too shabby.

Of course I also remember Billups and his Colorado team nailing my beloved Hoosiers in the tournament. This guy isn't Rip Hamilton, but on any given night he can score.

In Game 1 last year, Billups scored around 18 points in the first half, most from the post against Tinsley. In Game 6, he hit two HUGE threes in the 4th quarter, both of which tied the game.

Other than that, for the most part, Billups struggled. He did look confused a lot of the time.

The most important thing for tonight's game, from the Pistons perspective, is Billups defense on Tinsley. Pistons can't allow him to do another Jason Kidd impersonation if they want to win.

brichard
05-13-2005, 11:49 AM
In Game 1 last year, Billups scored around 18 points in the first half, most from the post against Tinsley. In Game 6, he hit two HUGE threes in the 4th quarter, both of which tied the game.

Other than that, for the most part, Billups struggled. He did look confused a lot of the time.

The most important thing for tonight's game, from the Pistons perspective, is Billups defense on Tinsley. Pistons can't allow him to do another Jason Kidd impersonation if they want to win.

Okay, I had to look some stats up b/c this was driving me crazy. :confused:

First of all, I had a hard time looking up stats, but I did find some at ESPN. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2004/series?series=inddet I didn't find a good way to do it on the site, just a little Yahoo! searching.

Anyway:

Game 1- As Shags pointed out, this was a big game for Billups. It doesn't post the box score, but he did have 18 pts. per the article. The Pistons lose, but this was a great game for Chauncey. If Shags is remembering correctly about these all being in the first half, that my friends is scoring at will.

Game 2- This was a terrible game for him. He hit just 1 of 7 and had 5 turnovers. But... he did have 5 of their 10 steals and 6 assists. My point being that he was still a factor in the game. Tinsley's stat sheet in his arrival in the Boston series was mediocre, but his steals were huge in the game.

Game 3- Chauncey comes up with 14 points and 8 assists. A solid performance.

Game 4- Billups scores 21 points (including 9 straight points at one stretch) in this losing effort for the Pistons.

Game 5- Apparently he didn't play well this game, but he did manage 7 assists.

Game 6- This was a very balanced effort with Rip at 21, Ben at 12, Rasheed at 11, and Chauncey with 10.

I say all of this to point out that Billups in fact did have some huge games in the series. This is also a case where overall playoff stats can be a bit misleading. None of these games exceeded the 80's and the last game had a final score in the 60's.

The other thing to note is that he did learn something from Larry. In some of his best games scoring (Game 1 and Game 4) the Pistons lost. I'm of the opinoin that he became more interested in getting his team involved. And... it worked really well for them.

Make no mistake, this guy proved that he can score. He may not bring it any night, but I wouldn't want him open at the 3pt line or at the FT line late in the game. He is one of those guys who is capable of elevating his game at any point and time.

shags
05-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Okay, I had to look some stats up b/c this was driving me crazy. :confused:

First of all, I had a hard time looking up stats, but I did find some at ESPN. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2004/series?series=inddet I didn't find a good way to do it on the site, just a little Yahoo! searching.

Anyway:

Game 1- As Shags pointed out, this was a big game for Billups. It doesn't post the box score, but he did have 18 pts. per the article. The Pistons lose, but this was a great game for Chauncey. If Shags is remembering correctly about these all being in the first half, that my friends is scoring at will.

Game 2- This was a terrible game for him. He hit just 1 of 7 and had 5 turnovers. But... he did have 5 of their 10 steals and 6 assists. My point being that he was still a factor in the game. Tinsley's stat sheet in his arrival in the Boston series was mediocre, but his steals were huge in the game.

Game 3- Chauncey comes up with 14 points and 8 assists. A solid performance.

Game 4- Billups scores 21 points (including 9 straight points at one stretch) in this losing effort for the Pistons.

Game 5- Apparently he didn't play well this game, but he did manage 7 assists.

Game 6- This was a very balanced effort with Rip at 21, Ben at 12, Rasheed at 11, and Chauncey with 10.

I say all of this to point out that Billups in fact did have some huge games in the series. This is also a case where overall playoff stats can be a bit misleading. None of these games exceeded the 80's and the last game had a final score in the 60's.

The other thing to note is that he did learn something from Larry. In some of his best games scoring (Game 1 and Game 4) the Pistons lost. I'm of the opinoin that he became more interested in getting his team involved. And... it worked really well for them.

Make no mistake, this guy proved that he can score. He may not bring it any night, but I wouldn't want him open at the 3pt line or at the FT line late in the game. He is one of those guys who is capable of elevating his game at any point and time.

I forgot about Game 4. Most of Chauncey's points were in the 4th quarter, but the Pacers had such a huge lead by that point they were inconsequential.

I'll say this about Billups. They don't call him "Mr. Big Shot" for nothing. He's the most clutch Piston.

Graywolf_59
05-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Dive-Claw-Bite-Chew-do what ever U have to do get every Rebound-Loose ball-(=Play Foster Ball)-Help out each other on D and get the 6TH man-(The Crowd) into this game very early...give everyone something to (Scream about)!

Diamond Dave
05-13-2005, 04:58 PM
And then party like its 1999 at the Dale Davis after party.