PDA

View Full Version : Odd thoughts round 2 game 2

Peck
05-12-2005, 04:39 PM
And 1 Motherf@cker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the new battle cry of the Indaina Pacers or at least that's what Jamaal Tinsley yelled as he drove to the hoop last night drawing a foul of Chauncey Billups. Of course the shot rolled out but it's best not to dwell on that bit of detail.

The diamond one brought this up the other day in the real estate post, but I thought it was perfect to describe this as well

Alec Baldwin in GlennGarry Glenn Ross "You know what it takes to sell real estate gentlemen?" "Brass Balls".

Peck to the forum "you know what it takes to beat the Detroit Pistons?" "A point guard with Brass Balls".

A little help from the human dynamo off of the bench doesn't hurt either.

Now before we begin let's offer the usual & customary compliments to the Detroit Pistons. They are a tough tough team & there is no way in heck that I see us coming home & winning both games.

Now having said that let me say this. If I were a Piston fan today I could see being one of two ways.

1. Not worried because my beloved Pistons took their foot off of the gas & that this was the wakeup call they really needed to be ready for the big fella in the E.C. finals.

2. Worried because the Indiana Pacers have yet to play a good game of basketball yet & they still beat us at home.

Now for two they are gonna say that the reason we haven't had a great game is because they have not let us. I don't deny the possibility. But Jax still hasn't nailed them with many outside shots & while J.O. had a great game, he can do better & while Reggie nailed them with some timely three's & big shots he's still missed several floaters that he had wide open shots with.

Personnaly, if I were a Detroit fan, I think I'd be a little worried but not devastated.

Moving on.

Jamaal Tinsely. He changed the game. His penatration & ability to get to the rim just absolutely had Detroit on thier heals the entire second half & you could tell Brown was getting p!ssed that he was getting to wherever he wanted to get to on the floor. Obviousley he wasn't mad enough to bring in Carlos but hey, it's his loss not ours. Look Jamaal is a punk a lot of times & I'm sure if I was a fan of other teams I'd hate the guy. But Jamaal is all about war when he is on that floor, he has no friends on the other team & he could care less who he upsets or offends when he is playing. This works to our advantage a lot of times, sometimes when he draws "T's" it works against us. But either way you know that he is going to compete.

Jeff Foster. Detroit was Poland to Fosters Blitzkrieg. Shell shocked that is the best way to describe thier reaction. I'll be interested to see how they adjust to him in game 3. I'll say this, I know what Ben Wallace said was not popular but it was very accurate. With the penetration that Tinsley had & the shooting the others were doing the Pistons never Ever adjusted to Jeff & they did not keep a body on him & he burned them bad. He was great at both ends of the floor as well because he is now, for whatever reason, making an effort to block shots & even got one last night. If the Pistons have to adjust thier game plan to match Foster that is a BIG win for us. In closing he played great.

Jermaine O'Neal. I was thrilled with his play last night. He still got up 25 shots but I don't feel that he forced many & I don't feel as though our offense stalled when it got to him. 5 blocked shots is huge & certainly changed their ability to come inside. He blocked 5 & adjusted 3-4 other shots as well. 10 boards is good. A good solid double double from J.O.

Reggie Miller. 17 shots is more like it. I'm not overly happy that he shot 6 three pointers but I was thrilled he hit 3 of them. They were 3 huge 3pointsers as well. This is why I thik Detroit should worry a little bit. Reggie has been missing a lot of open shots that he hasn't been forced to rush. If he gets a groove going....... Either way he is such an emotional force on our team right now there is just no way to seperate his on floor game & the emotional lift he gives our guys.

Stephen Jackson. He bothered Rip Hamilton. Lame leg or not he bothered Rip Hamilton. Now it's a pick your poison kind of thing for us. Do we keep him on Rip & hope that he limits his looks & let Prince try & beat us or do we go back to Prince & let Rip try & beat us. Jax does good at guarding both of these guys. Another reason for Detroit to worry, Stephen hasn't yet had a good offensive game.

Dale Davis. I don't understand this a little bit. Dale has never EVER been a foul machine in his entire career. Now he is getting touch fouls. In watching Ben Wallace I've learned one thing. He certainly has mastered the Reggie Miller school of acting & flopping. I've never seen a big guy act like he's been shot with a gun more often than Ben Wallace. I guess if you can get by with it you should, but damn....... It's just not the manly klingon warrior way that I thought he was. I know it's perplexing Dale because he doesn't even have the first clue about falling down to draw a charge. Another reason for Detroit to worry. Other than for about 5 min. to start the 4th quarter last night Dale Davis has yet to play good or play at all for that matter because of fouls. Or maybe he's just old....

Rick Carlisle. Adjustments adjustments adjustments. Our ball movement was superb & there was a lot of people who got shots up. Of course when Jeff Foster plays the way he did it's easy to make the coach look like a miracle worker. But Rick deserves a lot of credit for last nights win.

There's no reason for us to be cocky, it's just one win & I'm certain Friday's game will be h#ll for us.

indygeezer
05-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Jeff last night I equate to Austin Cro last year. I hope he can repeat it but LB is awfully good at making the adjustments, just like he did last year with Cro.

I'll give Jax some credit for last night, he recognized that Reg was "on" and he stayed out of the way and let him do it. He made some good passes and generally played a heady game.

What gimpy leg does Rip have? I sure didn't notice it last night. Was he bumped or sumthin?

Geezer Jr to dad...."can we turn the sound off? I'd rather hear chaulk squeak than have to hear that Deeeeeetrooooooit announcer anymore"

Alabama-Redneck
05-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Geezer Jr to dad...."can we turn the sound off? I'd rather hear chaulk squeak than have to hear that Deeeeeetrooooooit announcer anymore"

As I mentioned in another thread, I did not hear that in the 2nd half. That seemed starnge to me since the 2nd half was more representive of Detroit basketball than the 1st half. :laugh: :D

:cool:

shags
05-12-2005, 05:12 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I did not hear that in the 2nd half. That seemed starnge to me since the 2nd half was more representive of Detroit basketball than the 1st half. :laugh: :D

Pistons wouldn't have beaten North Carolina the way they played in the 2nd half. Pacers had a lot to do with that, but some was self-inflicted as well.

Suaveness
05-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Now having said that let me say this. If I were a Piston fan today I could see being one of two ways.

1. Not worried because my beloved Pistons took their foot off of the gas & that this was the wakeup call they really needed to be ready for the big fella in the E.C. finals.

2. Worried because the Indiana Pacers have yet to play a good game of basketball yet & they still beat us at home.

Now for two they are gonna say that the reason we haven't had a great game is because they have not let us. I don't deny the possibility. But Jax still hasn't nailed them with many outside shots & while J.O. had a great game, he can do better & while Reggie nailed them with some timely three's & big shots he's still missed several floaters that he had wide open shots with.

Personnaly, if I were a Detroit fan, I think I'd be a little worried but not devastated.

I'm glad you are optimistic, but I don't share it. We haven't played or shot well for 9 games. What makes you think we can all of a sudden start playing lights out?

Diamond Dave
05-12-2005, 05:18 PM
We shot decent to good in Game 7.

Will Galen
05-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Good post as usual Peck!

My own thoughts are I don't understand why most everyone is thinking Detroit is going to make short work of the Pacers. You go to Detroit forums and posters are already talking about meeting the heat in the next round. Or just like the national media they are saying Detroit in five.

What gives people that idea? This is the same team, minus Ron and Al, but with Jackson and Davis, that won 61 games last year. And last year wasn't a cake walk for Detroit even with Tins and JO not being up to snuff because of injuries.

Truthfully it's hard to get a handle on the Pacer's in this season from hell, but if it's like Jeff Foster said in his post game interview, Tins, JO, and himself are just getting in the grove, then I think Detroit will have their hands full.

Actually I think a healthy Tinsley gives us the advantage. However he's not completly healthy yet. What I think it will boil down to is Detroit is going to stop his drives and leave him open. I think how we fare will depend on how well he shoots.

Spicoli
05-12-2005, 05:22 PM
I think Game 2 was pretty much a must-win for us. Should we have lost last night, we would be heading back home (where we've sucked) down 2-0, and needing to win 4 out of 5 games against the Pistons to advance. And that certainly wasn't going to happen.

Good, solid win . . . but we have to follow it up with much improved play at Conseco.

indygeezer
05-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Pistons wouldn't have beaten North Carolina the way they played in the 2nd half. Pacers had a lot to do with that, but some was self-inflicted as well.

and some of the Pacer game one was self inflicted as well.

shags
05-12-2005, 05:27 PM
and some of the Pacer game one was self inflicted as well.

Well, the Pistons didn't play great in Game 1 either. Good, real good defensively, but not great. Not by a long shot.

3Ball
05-12-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm glad you are optimistic, but I don't share it. We haven't played or shot well for 9 games. What makes you think we can all of a sudden start playing lights out?

Because at times this season we have shot very well. Shooting, even for an entire team, can be streaky. Now would be a good time for those 50/50 shots to fall.

Tim
05-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Will the Pacers finally conquer their most formitable challenge? Can we finally handle prosperity? Reggie Miller lead teams haven't handled prosperity well. Last season's team was lead by JO/Ron/Al and Mel. We set franchise records last season.

I can't get too excited about game 2, Detroit let up and we didn't because our back was against the wall a bit.

The best thing about game 2 is it appears with every game Jamaal gets bit closer to form, thats bad news for Detroit or anybody we play.

ABADays
05-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Could you maybe meet deadline next time? :devil:

Spicoli
05-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Could you maybe meet deadline next time? :devil:

Seriously. Geezer eats a lot of fiber and is on a regular 'schedule'.

:geezer:

waxman
05-12-2005, 06:38 PM
The current Pacers starting lineup has only played 5 games together.... hopefully we only get better as the series goes on.

Doug
05-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Detroit was Poland to Fosters Blitzkrieg.

Well done. That one gonna keep me smiling all night.

The nice thing about the game that Foster had is it will make their defensive rotations a little slower. Ben (or whoever) will have to think twice about coming over to block a shot, 'cause he knows that Jeff will get the rebound.

Oh, and Jeff threw several very sweet passes last night.

Almost a perfect game for Jeff. If only that 20 footer would have dropped...

grace
05-12-2005, 11:08 PM
My own thoughts are I don't understand why most everyone is thinking Detroit is going to make short work of the Pacers. You go to Detroit forums and posters are already talking about meeting the heat in the next round. Or just like the national media they are saying Detroit in five.

I actually kind of like it when the media doesn't pick us. It seems that whenever we're the favorites we play like crap. Besides if the media picks against us and we win it makes them look like dodo birds.

Will Galen
05-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Almost a perfect game for Jeff. If only that 20 footer would have dropped...

Yeah, that 20 footer made me laugh out loud. Foster recognized everything was going his way so when he was open he shot it.

I wanted him to hit it bad, I also wanted Reggie to hit back to back threes.

I'm happy with the outcome though.

I actually kind of like it when the media doesn't pick us. It seems that whenever we're the favorites we play like crap. Besides if the media picks against us and we win it makes them look like dodo birds.

They only remember when they are right.

cramerica
05-13-2005, 06:06 AM
I've never seen a big guy act like he's been shot with a gun more often than Ben Wallace.

http://slamonline.com/magazine/features/vlade1.jpg

Drewtone
05-13-2005, 08:08 AM
http://slamonline.com/magazine/features/vlade1.jpg

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Hey, in Vlade's defense, he could just be constantly wheezing from the 2 packs of Marlboro Reds he knocks down before gametime.

able
05-13-2005, 08:37 AM
As i see it, Mel came to play in game 2, his drives were impressive, and very usefull.
If I remember well, then Billups though finals MVP did not have much of a game in any of the ECF games we played last year, if Tins comes to defend it seems there is little he can do.

The games will even get a totally different complexion if (when?) Mel's shts are going to fall, something that is bound to happen one of these days as he too gets back into his rythm.

Like some writers noticed, and others said as well, JO and Tins (and Foster) are just getting in to their game, they have been out a looooooooong time, and it seems they are getting better by the game, that in itself would promise to make this a series.

If indeed Mel can find his shot before the end of this series, whilst JO remains playing better and better and being a major problem for any opponent then all of a sudden those "match-up" drawings made before the series started start changing dramatically.

With all due respect. but Billups versus a healthy Tins is lopsided, Tins hands down winner.
We have the C rotation to throw at them with what I would see as an out-balancing each other versus Ben, and the PF with JO should simply be a win.
That leaves the SF where Prince is a tough matchup for whatever we throw at them and they might have the upperhand there, but again between that and the SG where they have an awesome player, we have an awesome optional rotation with Reggie, Jax, JJ, FJ and some AJ thrown in.

It all however depends on JO and Mel coming into their A game sooner rather then later, something that "Might" happen.

If it does, we have a more then fair chance of creating yet another upset.

owl
05-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Two comments.

1-James Jones I believe really helped on the defensive end while he was in
and I believe can be a real difference maker. At home young players usually do better. Look for him tonight

2-Watching Sportscenter this morning they were talking about the Heat and how they will match up with Detroit. It sounded like Detroit was already done
with the current series. They may very well win but that is totally un-professional in my book.

owl

indygeezer
05-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Today class we have a rare opportunity to see one of America's endangered species. Remember this day because someday you'll tell your children and grandchildren about the day you saw somebody that watched Sportcenter.

Sorry Owl, yer a rare bird indeed.

Alabama-Redneck
05-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Today class we have a rare opportunity to see one of America's endangered species. Remember this day because someday you'll tell your children and grandchildren about the day you saw somebody that watched Sportcenter.

Sorry Owl, yer a rare bird indeed.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: