PDA

View Full Version : The Official Superstition Thread

Spicoli
05-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Ok, I'm assuming the majority of poster's here are somewhere near as superstitious as I am when watching Pacers games. I have several personal superstitions that I use to bring good karma to the team.

For example,

1) I am very pessimistic (even Indytoad-like) the day of games, no matter how confident/scared I really am. Drives my friends nuts. I am even worse before any Colts game. :blush:

2) If I'm at home watching the game and the other team makes a run or gets a big lead, I turn the channel for about 5 minutes. Mostly, this is to keep me from tossing the remote at the dog or through the window. Actually, this one seems to work the best for me. The P's almost always turn things around after the 5 minute channel-switch. Actually it worked TWICE tonight. :dance: :nunchuck:

3) I will switch viewing positions from my couch to the love seat to the chair, trying to find the optimum karma-building technique. I will stick with the one that's worked the best for the 4th quarter. :whoknows:

4) If things are going bad, I will get something to eat before the start of the 4th quarter. This one doesn't seem to work as well, but damn do I like Chips Ahoy! :fatbanana

My question . . . what are some of your superstitious techniques to bring some good luck to the team?

Come on now, I know I'm not the only :crazy: one here.....

Sontayjuan
05-11-2005, 11:59 PM
i share #'s 2 and 3 with you...thats basically it

ABADays
05-12-2005, 08:41 AM
I will also switch away from the game if things aren't going too well but for longer periods. If I check back and the Pacers are coming back I will switch away again so I don't jinx them.

ChicagoJ
05-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Jay's_Wife@Section204 and I are going to try to go to a concert on the night of every Pacers road playoff game for the rest of the season.

Saturday night, we saw U2. Pacers win. We watched on TiVo at about 1am.

Monday night, no concert, Pacers lose.

Last night, we saw Mr. Springsteen (and he brought Spanish Johnny and Pueto Rican Jane along for the show :drool: ), Pacers win, we watch on TiVo at about midnight.

I hate missing playoff games, but if that's what it takes for the Pacers to win...

Mushmouth
05-12-2005, 10:15 AM
I watched about half of a Law and Order SVU repeat on USA during the second quarter and halftime. It took all my energy to focus back on the third. But something about this team makes me believe - At the very least, I knew they'd make a run.

Spicoli
05-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Jay's_Wife@Section204 and I are going to try to go to a concert on the night of every Pacers road playoff game for the rest of the season.

Saturday night, we saw U2. Pacers win. We watched on TiVo at about 1am.

Monday night, no concert, Pacers lose.

Last night, we saw Mr. Springsteen (and he brought Spanish Johnny and Pueto Rican Jane along for the show :drool: ), Pacers win, we watch on TiVo at about midnight.

I hate missing playoff games, but if that's what it takes for the Pacers to win...

I know you're supposed to be going to games 3 & 4, but are you sure it wouldn't be best if we took up a PD donation and sent you off to a concert??

I'm not joking.

Diamond Dave
05-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I also adjust my sitting position for good luck. In addition I have a lot of superstition in the guess the score game. During our late run in the season I purposely picked the Pacers to lose, and we kept winning.

So I did the same for the Boston series initially, but we got blown out. So I stopped participating and we started winning. So I thought I'd do the same for the Pistons, but then we got killed so last night I said the Pistons would win and OH YEAH!!!

Isaac
05-12-2005, 12:51 PM
1.) While watching a game I always wear a Pacers jersey, and I can't wrinkle it at all. Also, If i am wearing my reggie jersey, and he is playing poorly, I might switch to my Jermaine jersey, or maybe my Jax jersey.

Pig Nash
05-12-2005, 12:58 PM
During the boston series i put my boston red sox socks into the freezer. I need some detroit stuff, or someone needs to put some in the freezer for me.

Harddrive7
05-12-2005, 01:13 PM
For every game that we have won my 13 year old daughter has written "GO PACERS" around the top of my bottle of water. We have won every single time.

Spicoli
05-12-2005, 01:14 PM
During the boston series i put my boston red sox socks into the freezer. I need some detroit stuff, or someone needs to put some in the freezer for me.

Classic! Too funny....

Los Angeles
05-12-2005, 01:15 PM
This started last year during the playoffs, but is much much more powerful during this playoff season:

If I'm too busy from work to find a place to watch the game, we win. If I clear my schedule and sit down and watch the game, we lose. For games I haven't been able to watch live, we are 4-0 during the playoffs this year.

No it isn't funny. :tongue: ;)

Spicoli
05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
This started last year during the playoffs, but is much much more powerful during this playoff season:

If I'm too busy from work to find a place to watch the game, we win. If I clear my schedule and sit down and watch the game, we lose. For games I haven't been able to watch live, we are 4-0 during the playoffs this year.

Tell your boss to keep piling the work on.

Pig Nash
05-12-2005, 01:20 PM
I have some homework you could do for me. No, really.

ABADays
05-12-2005, 01:22 PM
For every game that we have won my 13 year old daughter has written "GO PACERS" around the top of my bottle of water. We have won every single time.

Needless to say Harddrive . . .

bmac
05-12-2005, 01:29 PM
I break out the "Our Lady of Guadalupe" candles during must win games and prop a picture of Reggie or JO in between the set. Works for football too....This year when the Colts played the Patties in the playoffs, I set up the shrine but the Colts were getting dismantled on the field. I couldn't figure it out.......turns out that I was using a Sports Illustrated cover of Marvin Harrison which is valid enough, but my stupid roomate had used that EXACT SI cover while he was clipping his nasty fungal toenails and jinxed the whole shrine. Now you know why the Colts lost and it had nothing to do w/Bilchiek or Weiss.

Spicoli
05-12-2005, 01:41 PM
I break out the "Our Lady of Guadalupe" candles during must win games and prop a picture of Reggie or JO in between the set. Works for football too....This year when the Colts played the Patties in the playoffs, I set up the shrine but the Colts were getting dismantled on the field. I couldn't figure it out.......turns out that I was using a Sports Illustrated cover of Marvin Harrison which is valid enough, but my stupid roomate had used that EXACT SI cover while he was clipping his nasty fungal toenails and jinxed the whole shrine. Now you know why the Colts lost and it had nothing to do w/Bilchiek or Weiss.

So THAT'S why the Colts were running all those stupid screen passes and had a gameplan that looked like it was put together by Barney Fife. :mad: :mad: :mad:

beast23
05-12-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm certain everyone has superstitions about seating arrangements or who is or is not in the room. Or which team gets on a roll when someone leaves or enters a room.

As I've mentioned, I usually watch the home games from a suite along with 15-20 other people. And with former players coming and going, things get more than a little superstitious in the suite.

For example, between a trip to the restroom and a conversation with someone in the hall or while getting another beer from the refrigerator, someone may away from his seat for five minutes or so. And when the individual returns and sits down, if the Pacers suddenly go cold, or let's say Pierce goes off for about 5-6 straight points, everyone else blames it on the individual's return. So we banish him from his seat and he has to watch the next several minutes on the television, until the Pacers get things turned back around.

We had one guy who brought his wife to the Boston series and she let everyone know that she had watched the Pacers from the suite four other times during the season and that they had always lost. That was a big mistake. Everyone in the suite, including McGinnis himself, gave her a hard time everytime the Pistons rallied, and also everytime the Pacers had a lull. We probably should have kicked her out... the Pacers lost.

I'm not all that superstitous myself, but I like to play along. You have to cover your bases. You never know when karma is going to jump up and bite you in the arse.

bmac
05-12-2005, 01:50 PM
So THAT'S why the Colts were running all those stupid screen passes and had a gameplan that looked like it was put together by Barney Fife. :mad: :mad: :mad:

yeah man.........toenails.

3ptmiller
05-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Im very superstitious aswell... i do ridicilous things... (i play BBall to so i do these things for me and for the Pacer games sometimes)

1. Before the game starts i always drink Coca Cola if i want a WIN very badly..(worked 80% of the time for me and 90% for the Pacers. Last time i did it was this last game... so u see, it works! :)) and if i want just to score alot of points i drink Sprite.. (worked 80% of the time for me and 60% for Reggie)

2. When the game is on the line in my bball games i always drink HALF glass of water and say "La illahe i Allah" (its islamic and i think it means "May God be with me") worked 80% of the time for me... i do the exact when Pacer game is on the line... worked 50% of the time (last time i did so was when Reggie tyed the Celtics game to 84-84 but then missed a 3PT shot)

Vicious Tyrant
05-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Ahh....superstitions.

About two hours, I strip naked and oil myself head to toe with something nice and floral I got from Bath and body works that morning. I shave my chest and stomach soo the petunias will adhere better and put on my wifes bra.

I then sit in the empty bathtub with candles burning and listen to Sarah McLachlan music while massaging my temples, then wrap my upper body in saran wrap. I tuck flowers around the plastic and go into the back yard where I kneel by the tree and try to feel the essence of the nature around me.

After about thirty minutes of communing with nature I go into the den and gently touch a photo of each Pacer, unless Jon Edwards is on the roster - he only gets careless tap. I then press a photo of David Stern against my butt - twenty seconds per cheek.

I then perform an interpretive dance of victory which I learned from Tibetan master, annonting the television with perfume and oil (the TV is so sticky now....).

By this time the game is usually over because I took so long performing the ritual, but it was worth it...

wait...

did I say that out loud?? Inside your head, Wally, inside your head......

Harddrive7
05-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Needless to say Harddrive . . .

I'm sorry? I'm fighting a head cold and stuff just ain't sinking in. I don't know what you're getting at.

DisplacedKnick
05-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Ahh....superstitions.

About two hours, I strip naked and oil myself head to toe with something nice and floral I got from Bath and body works that morning. I shave my chest and stomach soo the petunias will adhere better and put on my wifes bra.

I then sit in the empty bathtub with candles burning and listen to Sarah McLachlan music while massaging my temples, then wrap my upper body in saran wrap. I tuck flowers around the plastic and go into the back yard where I kneel by the tree and try to feel the essence of the nature around me.

After about thirty minutes of communing with nature I go into the den and gently touch a photo of each Pacer, unless Jon Edwards is on the roster - he only gets careless tap. I then press a photo of David Stern against my butt - twenty seconds per cheek.

I then perform an interpretive dance of victory which I learned from Tibetan master, annonting the television with perfume and oil (the TV is so sticky now....).

By this time the game is usually over because I took so long performing the ritual, but it was worth it...

wait...

And to resurrect an old theme:

OVERSHARING VIOLATION ON VICIOUS TYRANT!!!! :o

3ptmiller
05-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Ahh....superstitions.

wait...

:arrgh:

Diamond Dave
05-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Im very superstitious aswell... i do ridicilous things... (i play BBall to so i do these things for me and for the Pacer games sometimes)

1. Before the game starts i always drink Coca Cola if i want a WIN very badly..(worked 80% of the time for me and 90% for the Pacers. Last time i did it was this last game... so u see, it works! :)) and if i want just to score alot of points i drink Sprite.. (worked 80% of the time for me and 60% for Reggie)

2. When the game is on the line in my bball games i always drink HALF glass of water and say "La illahe i Allah" (its islamic and i think it means "May God be with me") worked 80% of the time for me... i do the exact when Pacer game is on the line... worked 50% of the time (last time i did so was when Reggie tyed the Celtics game to 84-84 but then missed a 3PT shot)

When I'm thirsty I drink a Coke, it works 100% of the time. :cool:

Spicoli
05-12-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm sorry? I'm fighting a head cold and stuff just ain't sinking in. I don't know what you're getting at.

I think he's saying have your daughter write GO PACERS on your water bottle before all games! :slap:

:D

Spicoli
05-12-2005, 02:52 PM
And to resurrect an old theme:

OVERSHARING VIOLATION ON VICIOUS TYRANT!!!! :o

:laugh: Been a while since I've heard that one.

WEST
05-12-2005, 02:57 PM

What did you use on November 19? A picture of Ron Artest that your roomate used to wipe his *** on?

aceace
05-12-2005, 03:15 PM

Don't you know about the Sports Ill. cover jinx. It had nothing to do with roommates toenails. You can never use SI for any type of shrine atuomatic loss. Now I know who to blame.........

Harddrive7
05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
I think he's saying have your daughter write GO PACERS on your water bottle before all games! :slap:

:D

Thanks, I needed that!!!!

dannyboy
05-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Every single playoff game this season that I didn't see one live minute of because I had other plans has been a victory. I am strongly considering making plans for Friday evening and then watching the recording like I had to do last night.

Also, last year I made a dinner bet on the ECFs with a friend from college who is from Detroit. After agreeing to the wager, I suddenly remembered that I have almost never won a sports related bet in my life. Of course the Pacers lost and I spent $80 on dinner, mostly on his drinks, appetizers, lobster, and shrimp.

He called today saying that we could do the same bet this year starting now since the series is tied and we hadn't spoken to each other before games 1 or 2. Needless to say, I wasn't in much of a gambling mood this time around.

3ptmiller
05-12-2005, 05:09 PM
When I'm thirsty I drink a Coke, it works 100% of the time. :cool:

ROFL... yea u see? You **** better aswell... Coke rulez!

Los Angeles
05-13-2005, 09:54 PM

I got a call yesterday to work for the E! Entertainment office today. That's right, that's where I am now - I'm still here and couldn't watch the game.

So that makes it 5-0.

I was already asked if I'm available to work on Sunday. I'm not happy about that.

But part of me kind of is.

:devil:

Spicoli
05-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Also, I sat in my chair all the way through when Detroit took the lead 72-71. Made the switch to the couch, all is good. :cool:

The collective karma is good. :)

ChicagoJ
05-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Thank God we won this game. I feared the collective pummeling I might have to take.

DisplacedKnick
05-15-2005, 08:58 AM
I've stayed away from this thread but I did want to note one thing.

At some point in the season, somebody did lay a curse on this team. I don't know who or how (do any Pacers hang out in Louisiana? maybe it's Bender - Mississippi isn't that far away) but it happened.

I think the curse MAY have been broken already - it's starting to look that way. But if not, in my research, I've run across a few links:

http://www.mojomoon.net/hexnet.html

http://www.luckymojo.com/spells/white/blessingspells.html

http://www.luckymojo.com/uncrossing.html

http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/chaney/191/id20.htm

Again, I think something may have broken it already - in which case you need to be VERY careful (don't want to reverse what's already been reversed). So before you try any of these, I'd suggest a spiritual reading.

RWB
05-15-2005, 09:05 AM
I actually met someone who claimed they were a witch and very serious about it. Worshipped like mother earth or something and did believe in spells. I didn't make fun of her or anything since I really didn't want any sharp pains in my body. :)

Los Angeles
05-15-2005, 12:04 PM
I got a call yesterday to work for the E! Entertainment office today. That's right, that's where I am now - I'm still here and couldn't watch the game.

So that makes it 5-0.

I was already asked if I'm available to work on Sunday. I'm not happy about that.

But part of me kind of is.

:devil:
Just got called in, so by the time the second half starts, I'll be working.

:cry: