PDA

View Full Version : I love Jeff Foster

Unclebuck
05-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm sorry, but I love the guy. More about him later, let me get to the game tonight.

I must admit after the first quarter I was ready to throw in the towel. Reggie was getting abused by Tay, I was ready to suggest that Reggie just can't play against the Pistons, bench him, bring in Eddie Gill, someone, anyone.

It looked hopeless, the Pistons looked dominant and the series looked over, I was thinking about next season.

But then a strange thing happened

The comeback started with Tinsley taking the ball to the basket, creating offense for teammates and generally causing the Pistons to adjust their entire defense. I said before and after game #1, the only way to beat the Pistons defense is with a quick penetrating point guard, and to run pick and rolls almost every play. I am dead serious the Pacers should start every offensive play woth a pick and roll. Tinsley needs to play about 45 minutes a game in this series, I'll say that right now. He more than anyone else on the Pacers can hurt the Pistons defense.

The thing that impressed me about J.O tonight was his shot blocking, he had several huge blocks that prevented fastbreak layups, and as much as anything turned the game around. He stood up to the Wallace' tonight.

Of course Reggie hit a few huge threes, and also was just a lot more aggressive, Jax was pretty good also.

Before I get to Jeff and Rick, one comment about Dale. Many of you will jump on the Foster bandwagon and suggest he should start. Let me just say Dale came out in the 4th quarter and put together 5 minutes of great play. He allowed J.O and Jeff both to get a little rest, and Dale played as well during that stretch as he has all season. He can still bring it for short stretches.

Let me move along to Rick Carlisle. I will be very interested to read what you think of the adjustments Rick made. Pacers did not quite play like the Suns tonight, but he did allow the Pacers to run, or as Rick said in his post game comments, they were much more free flowing. I wonder what % of the offensive plays when Tinsley was in the game started with a pick and roll, I would guess 80%, I say move that up to about 95%. Pick and roll the Pistons to death. Keep Tinsley in the middle of the floor and lets use our quickness at the big position to cause the Pistons problems.

Jeff Foster, wow, he looks as healthy as he's been all season. Maybe this will show that he can be effective against the Pistons. I'm just very happy for Jeff, in fact Jeff had a Ben Wallace type game tonight. One of the biggest reasons why the Pistons are so good is because they have quick, athletic big guys. I've been beating this drum for a few seasons now, but I don't think many people realize how important that is. Quick big guys allow a coach to do many good things on defense, so unless you have Shaq, give me quick athletic big guys, please.

Please, Jeff stay healthy and continue doing what you have done the past 3 games. There are times when it appears Jeff knows where the ball is going at all times. One final thing, sure jeff is a hustle type player, but don't sell his talents short. His nose for the ball is a talent that might not be matched by anyone in the NBA, also Jeff has extremely quick feet and hands.

I love Jeff.

Ragnar
05-11-2005, 11:57 PM
You know that run you are talking about when Jamaal came in. He only came in then because of the hit AJ took to the face.

I agree that Jamaal must play a lot of minutes for us to win but me saying that is not groundbreaking.

I think right now Dale needs some rest to get his legs back. I was actually happy when he got his 4th foul because I knew Jeff would be back in. I really felt that Jeff and Jamaal would have to play the entire 4th for us to win.

MagicRat
05-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I think right now Dale needs some rest to get his legs back.....

So you're calling off the big post-game party Friday night?

abington
05-11-2005, 11:59 PM
The media was comparing him to Ben Wallace tonight. But at his best, I think the better comparison is to Rodman.

Spicoli
05-12-2005, 12:05 AM
I would like to credit myself for the 1st run when Tins took over in the 2nd quarter by pulling the 5 minute channel switch (see my 'superstition' thread). :D

Anyway, this game was FUN. I'm not the biggest Foster fan in the world, but he was a monster tonight. :cool:

Let's not forget to give credit to JO tonight either. He made some HUGE plays tonight and looked as good as he has since the shoulder injury. Tins and JO both are getting dangerously healthy at the right time. Shhhhhhh.

Big game Friday. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the game 3 winner of a series tied 1-1 wins like 70% of the time I believe.

Let's go GIT 'R DONE!!

:nunchuck:

Suaveness
05-12-2005, 12:10 AM
The Pistons looked really lazy in the second half. They won't do that again, I can promise you that. But if we can hustle like we did tonight, we can win.

Natston
05-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Big game Friday. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the game 3 winner of a series tied 1-1 wins like 70% of the time I believe.

The team that wins the first game of the second round goes on to win the series 80% of the time...

waterjater
05-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Great recap and don't forget James Jones....when he came in and altered some jump shots with his length is about the same time the team decided to play some defense.

I thought his contributions, although small, helped start a defensive trend.

It was beautiful to see the ball moving to the open man. AND UB you were correct, the Pick N' Roll got the ball moving.

Also glad JO told Reggie to shoot the damn ball!!! 3 cheers for JO on that one.

Water

Unclebuck
05-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Suave, that is a good point. One thing I hate, is now the media is saying the Pacers now have homecourt advantage. Does anyone with half a brain think that is going to make any difference really

Anthem
05-12-2005, 12:31 AM
The media was comparing him to Ben Wallace tonight. But at his best, I think the better comparison is to Rodman.

That's what they said when he came into the league. He could be Rodman without the crap. I just wish he could develop a jumper.

It's interesting that he's been playing a lot more forcefully since Dale got here. It's like he watched Dale and a lightbulb went off in his head.

Unclebuck
05-12-2005, 12:38 AM
What did you think of Jax guarding Rip and Reggie guarding Tay. Although the pacers changed that up in the 2nd half

Harmonica
05-12-2005, 12:39 AM
The team that wins the first game of the second round goes on to win the series 80% of the time...

The team that wins four games first wins the series 100% of the time.

SoupIsGood
05-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Physical Foster is great, I think Dale is rubbing off on him.

Tinsley is also rubbing off on Johnson. I kind of thought maybe Tins was working with AJ this season, considering his great improvement.... and I still don't know if he was, but AJ does the leg-kick now. :)

Diamond Dave
05-12-2005, 12:44 AM
That's what they said when he came into the league. He could be Rodman without the crap. I just wish he could develop a jumper.

It's interesting that he's been playing a lot more forcefully since Dale got here. It's like he watched Dale and a lightbulb went off in his head.

And for no other reason, this alone tells me that Dale needs to be resigned. If he can do it for Foster, he can do it for Harrison.

Unclebuck
05-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Physical Foster is great, I think Dale is rubbing off on him.

Tinsley is also rubbing off on Johnson. I kind of thought maybe Tins was working with AJ this season, considering his great improvement.... and I still don't know if he was, but AJ does the leg-kick now. :)

I noticed that leg kick tonight

Suaveness
05-12-2005, 12:47 AM

That was pretty funny....he should keep doing it

I also noticed that James seems to be doing a pretty good job on Rip with his length...something to explore

waterjater
05-12-2005, 12:50 AM
I also noticed that James seems to be doing a pretty good job on Rip with his length...something to explore

This is what I mentioned above. I thought his defensive play altering shots with his length was a key turning point in the game in the 2nd Qtr.

Water

flakcatcher
05-12-2005, 12:51 AM
This is why I said this in <a href="http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11769">this thread</a>: "More Jeff Foster. When he's not in the game, Big Ben eats up everything that comes off the rim or backboard."

Jeff was bigger than huge tonight.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-12-2005, 12:57 AM
Jeff Foster is great and has an extremely hot girlfriend/wife

3ptmiller
05-12-2005, 01:00 AM

Honestly, whats up with that Leg-Kick Tinsley does? Ive been playing basketball for a big time now and have never seen anything like it and i cant find out what the point is with that. All i can think of is maybe he just kicks the leg forward so he doesnt gets tangled on defenders foot and falls down or he just invented a new stylish "move".. hmm :chin:

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-12-2005, 01:03 AM
Someone said he does it to keep defenders away....I guess it works?

Anthem
05-12-2005, 01:35 AM
Jeff Foster is great and has an extremely hot girlfriend/wife

Wife.

He took a stack of books on the honeymoon. :rolleyes:

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-12-2005, 02:34 AM
He took a stack of books on the honeymoon.

Huh? Are you serious??!?

Anthem
05-12-2005, 02:51 AM
Huh? Are you serious??!?

Am I the kind of man that would lead you astray? :eyebrow:

Anthem
05-12-2005, 02:56 AM
One of the biggest reasons why the Pistons are so good is because they have quick, athletic big guys. I've been beating this drum for a few seasons now, but I don't think many people realize how important that is. Quick big guys allow a coach to do many good things on defense, so unless you have Shaq, give me quick athletic big guys, please.

I was going to make this point earlier and forgot.

Does anybody still fault Donnie for not going hard for Dampier?

sixthman
05-12-2005, 05:21 AM

Good call. I noticed that in game two also. Hadn't noticed it before.

cramerica
05-12-2005, 05:34 AM
I was yelling at my wife throughout the game (she could care-less) that Jeff was playing awesome, and was bringing the A-game. He was outstanding. I like Dale starting and being in there, as he was very big tonight. He had a key block, I believe on Ben, in the fourth and he always seems to get those odd tip-ins.

Having a Dale Davis and Jeff Foster on your team definitely helps.

Side note - I sat close to his wife or girlfriend at a game sometime last year. She is EXTREMELY HOT. I went with my Dad, who is 56, and he couldn't stop staring...me neither.

Eindar
05-12-2005, 06:21 AM
And for no other reason, this alone tells me that Dale needs to be resigned. If he can do it for Foster, he can do it for Harrison.

Jeff seems to be very impressionable, especially when surrounded by other lunch-pail guys like himself. Last year, it seems like he finally learned to do tip-ins and layups, which corresponded with Pollard arriving. This year, he's being much more physical, blocking shots, roughing people up, which just so happens to correspond with getting Dale back.

Maybe signing Rodman wouldn't be so bad after all :)

DisplacedKnick
05-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Since this is the Jeff Foster thread, LOVED this quote:

"I'd just rather give the credit to my teammates. They're the ones missing the shots and I'm just down there cleaning up."

First time I've ever heard a guy say essentially, "Oh - it wasn't that big a deal - my teammates threw up great bricks for me tonight!"

BTW - I think Michael Smith is now officially a Pacers fan. If I were a Pistons fan I'd probably have taken a vow never to read another word from him by now.

cramerica
05-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Since this is the Jeff Foster thread, LOVED this quote:

"I'd just rather give the credit to my teammates. They're the ones missing the shots and I'm just down there cleaning up."

First time I've ever heard a guy say essentially, "Oh - it wasn't that big a deal - my teammates threw up great bricks for me tonight!"

BTW - I think Michael Smith is now officially a Pacers fan. If I were a Pistons fan I'd probably have taken a vow never to read another word from him by now.
That is a good quote by Foster. :lol:

Manuel
05-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Honestly, whats up with that Leg-Kick Tinsley does? Ive been playing basketball for a big time now and have never seen anything like it and i cant find out what the point is with that. All i can think of is maybe he just kicks the leg forward so he doesnt gets tangled on defenders foot and falls down or he just invented a new stylish "move".. hmm :chin:

He mainly does it to protect the dribble. It's done so the defender can't get his hands in there and slap the ball away.

Gyron
05-12-2005, 08:44 AM
I saw AJ do the leg kick thing last night and couldn't stop laughing.

Tinsley has been rubbing off on him. Which I would cinsider to be a good thing.

The other thing I noticed is they didn't pressure him as much in the backcourt tonight like most of the other teams do. AJ did a good job when he was in. I think he is still one of the better back-up PG's we could have in the league.

And since this is a Jeff foster thread.....JEFF was AWESOME tongiht!

Fool
05-12-2005, 08:50 AM
You guys should call it what it is, a chasse' [sashay] (Thats not an attempt at an insult, its just more fitting then "leg-kick").

I was going to come on here around the end of the third quarter and just post "Jeff Foster is owning the Pistons and I am having a miserable day" (it really was a bad day even before the game) but part of my miserable day included me IP having troubles for the last two (today is 3) days.

Good win by the guys in gold. I'd agree with an earlier statement that the Pistons played lazy (as though the game was over after the first quarter). Offensively there was way too much one-on-one from the Pistons.

Unclebuck
05-12-2005, 09:31 PM
http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0505/12/F07-179546.htm

Surprise Pacer fosters victory

His aggressiveness on both ends boosts Indiana and catches the Pistons off guard.

By Terry Foster / The Detroit News

Clarence Tabb, Jr. / The Detroit News

Jeff Foster is used to being in the background but he garnered the spotlight after a 14-point, 20-rebound performance.

Dangerous Pacer

Which Pacer poses the most danger to the Pistons?

Jermaine O'Neal
Reggie Miller
Jamaal Tinsley
Stephen Jackson
Jeff Foster

Get results and comments

Online extras

Pistons playoff stats
Pacers playoff stats
Tale of the tape: Trends, schedule, who's hot, who's not
Pistons game-by-game look
Live NBA scoreboard, game logs
Pistons Talk forum
Pistons Weblog
Pistons playoff stats
Pistons box scores
Pistons player profiles, stats
NBA playoffs schedule
NBA playoffs matchups, predictions
NBA daily slate
Who's hot, who's not
Round 2, Game 1 postgame
Round 2, Game 1: Ben Wallace
Round 2, Game 1: Reggie Miller
Round 2, Game 1: Rick Carlisle
Round 2, Game 1: Larry Brown
Round 2, Game 1: Rip Hamilton
Round 2, Game 1: Jermaine O'Neal
Pistons photo galleries
Pistons wallpaper
2005 Pistons players screensaver

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

AUBURN HILLS -- The Indiana Pacers were in different stages of dress. But no one wanted to hit the showers until Jeff Foster walked through the doors to join them.

Foster was delayed because he was in the unaccustomed role of hero and doing a national television interview after surprising the Pistons with 14 points, 20 rebounds and two blocked shots. He had 10 points and 11 rebounds in the second half as the Pacers erased a 10-point deficit to win 92-83 to even the series 1-1 heading into Friday's game at Conseco Fieldhouse.

When Foster finally stuck his head in the dressing room, the Pacers serenaded him with loud cheers. He smiled and walked sheepishly to his dressing stall.

"That is what we do for all the guys, " Foster said. "Usually the last guy in is the one who had the big game. I am usually the one in the back doing the cheering. It just felt good to be the one coming in and being cheered."

Reggie Miller (19 points) found new life after a sluggish start. Jermaine O'Neal led the Pacers with 22 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks. But Foster is the man receiving the most cheers.

Usually the hero is sent to the podium to address the main media. But Foster, who is low key, declined the invitation, opting to address the media in the visitor's dressing room.

"Hopefully there are bigger and better things coming for our team," Foster said. "I would rather give credit to my teammates. They are the ones taking the shots and I am just cleaning up. It is a team game."

Foster's rebound and layup with 5:26 remaining gave the Pacers the lead for good, 79-77. Later he tipped in a miss, grabbed another rebound for a layup and blocked a shot.

"Jeff Foster had a Ben Wallace type of game, " O'Neal said.

"I was just doing the same things I have been doing for five years," Foster said. "I am trying to get as many rebounds as I can. If I get a chance to rebound a ball, make a layup or a dunk I do whatever I can."

When Dale Davis and O'Neal got into early foul trouble, Foster knew his time would come. He is usually the third option inside. But with the Pacers struggling offensively he just wanted to contribute more.

"I just happened to be in the right place at the right time," Foster said. "A lot of what I do comes off Jermaine and I was able to get position in there. I have played long enough with him to know where his misses are going to go and I got all mine off him."

The Pistons were surprised by Foster's aggressiveness. He had hip surgery early in the season and has struggled to find his game. But he appeared rested, ready and determined.

"We've just got to box him out," Pistons guard Rip Hamilton said. "I think that that's what Jeff does. He likes to try to pin guys underneath the basket and get offensive rebounds and tip-ins. So we've just got to locate him

sixthman
05-13-2005, 08:48 AM
The one thing that has driven me crazy about Jeff over the last few years is his inability to consistently convert put backs and easy shots around the bucket. But when he is feeling frisky, like Wednesday night, he is a joy to watch. The Pacers need to take better advantage of his ability to run the court, too.

cramerica
05-13-2005, 08:56 AM
The one thing that has driven me crazy about Jeff over the last few years is his inability to consistently convert put backs and easy shots around the bucket. But when he is feeling frisky, like Wednesday night, he is a joy to watch. The Pacers need to take better advantage of his ability to run the court, too.
Hmm, I always thought he was rather good at those put backs. His jumper could use some work, but it seems to me he has a knack for the shots withing 2 ft, whether they're dunks or layups.