05-11-2005, 01:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/columns/story?id=2057733

I'm sure he will be fined

Hicks
05-11-2005, 01:31 PM
He's about 2 months too late.....

Doug
05-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Bringing back Artest right now would be the worst possible thing that Stern could do. It would be bad for Artest and bad for the Pacers.

sweabs
05-11-2005, 01:40 PM
There's just something less satisfying about defeating a wounded enemy.

Exactly, I think this is what shags was referring to when he labelled this series as a "win-win" for Indiana, and a "lose-lose" for Detroit. Even though the Pistons can knock us out, they won't take that same pride in doing so. Based on the quotes, seems like many Pistons players agree too. Everyone just wants to see some good basketball (except Stern :devil: )

beast23
05-11-2005, 01:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/columns/story?id=2057733

I'm sure he will be finedFined?

By whom? He's a sports editor/columnist, not an NBA employee.

beast23
05-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Bringing back Artest right now would be the worst possible thing that Stern could do. It would be bad for Artest and bad for the Pacers.Bsaed on the published comments by Pacer brass and team members over the past month, it definitely would NOT be bad for the Pacers.

Without being inside the psyche of Ron Artest, it is impossible for us to say whether or not it would be good or bad for Ron himself.

Bball
05-11-2005, 01:53 PM
If nothing else... there's a great sig there...

"It's not to late to reinstate" spoken in the voice of the late Johnny Cochran.

-Bball

PHC Fan
05-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Fined?

I think that the :sarcasm: smilie was supposed to be implied.

ImCrazyB
05-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Fined?

Doesn't matter. If Stern can fine a coach 100,000 dollars for saying officiating is bad, He can do anything.

Doug
05-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Bsaed on the published comments by Pacer brass and team members over the past month, it definitely would NOT be bad for the Pacers.

Without being inside the psyche of Ron Artest, it is impossible for us to say whether or not it would be good or bad for Ron himself.

I know he's been practicing with the team, but IMO, he would be a bigger distraction than he's worth at this point.

I can't help but think that mid-series with Detroit would be the absolute worst time for Ron's psyche. But, as you said, nobody, not even Ron, knows the answer to that question.

Stryder
05-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Doesn't matter. If Stern can fine a coach 100,000 dollars for saying officiating is bad, He can do anything.

No, he cannot.

Stern has no jurisdiction over sports writers.

able
05-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Ron would fit in one game, simple.

most important:

Brown has been talking for the past six months about everyone's learning from Nov. 19 and putting it behind us. He has to know that until Artest comes back, The Brawl still will be a story. From that standpoint, Stern's keeping Artest out until next year makes little sense, sort of like piling up dirty clothes in the corner of your bedroom eventually, someone is going to have to do the laundry.

Bringing Artest back for the remainder of the playoffs would (once the circus ends, that is) bring closure to The Brawl. Otherwise, one of the first things people, especially within the media, are going to look for when the 2005-06 schedule comes out is Artest and the Pacers' first date with the Pistons, their first visit to the Palace, and so on.

It goes away only after Artest returns.

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2005, 02:22 PM
No, he cannot.

He could probably arrange it so he's denied a press pass to games.

Day late and a dollar short anyway.

I'd like to hear Stern explain it like Smith did if he did change his mind:

"Due to the Pacers-Pistons series appearing to be less competitive than I'd like, I hearby reinstate Ron Artest. While I'm at it, I'll reassign Jason Kidd to the Pacers and Tracy McGrady to Detroit because, gosh, I just like to watch them play."

That one qualifies as an "out there" article.

Will Galen
05-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Contrary to what the Piston players are saying, Detroit and others would scream bloody murder.

Plus it would be unfair to whoever the Pacers cut from the team in order for Ron to play.

Plus people would jump all over Stern saying he should have held his course or reinstated Ron earlier.

Nope, Stern wouldn't do this if every sports columnist in the nation said he should.

Right now there's not to much interesting to write about between Detroit and Indiana, so Smith was just filling space.

shags
05-11-2005, 02:36 PM
He's about 2 months too late.....

Or even 2 days. If the Pacers would have won Game 1, this article doesn't get written. He shouldn't be brought back just to make this series interesting. That was a bad angle.

And, rcarey, this is what I meant by "win-win" for the Pacers. However, if the Pistons sweep the series and win all the games as convincingly as they did Game 1 (which I don't foresee happening), then I don't see how the Pacers can come away with any positives.

Los Angeles
05-11-2005, 03:01 PM
However, if the Pistons sweep the series and win all the games as convincingly as they did Game 1 (which I don't foresee happening), then I don't see how the Pacers can come away with any positives.
Other than the fact that they will positively want to shed Piston blood next year. (Metaphorically speaking, I hope.)

Getting swept/embarassed by the very team that was in the middle of the event that sent our season into turmoil will equate to nothing more than adding insult to injury, like spitting on a guy AFTER punching him out.

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a full-strength Pacers team seeing red for an entire season.

dannyboy
05-11-2005, 03:13 PM
I appreciate that someone finally gave an accurate recap of the Brawl, as opposed to all these other articles that keep saying Artest charged into the stands throwing punches at everyone in sight.

shags
05-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Other than the fact that they will positively want to shed Piston blood next year. (Metaphorically speaking, I hope.)

Getting swept/embarassed by the very team that was in the middle of the event that sent our season into turmoil will equate to nothing more than adding insult to injury, like spitting on a guy AFTER punching him out.

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a full-strength Pacers team seeing red for an entire season.

Okay, so maybe I was wrong. If you look at it that way, it is a total "win-win" scenario for the Pacers.

Kegboy
05-11-2005, 06:47 PM
No, he cannot.

Obviously, you missed the 180 done by ESPN's personalities between the night of the brawl and the morning after. It was later leaked that Stern came down hard on ESPN for the temerity of the announcers blaming fans instead of Artest.

I don't think Stern cares about this article at all. But if he wanted somebody at ESPN fired, he could do it with one phone call.

Kegboy
05-11-2005, 07:17 PM
By phone Tuesday, Saunders added, "Had we had the amount of time other people were given more than once to view the scene, our take on it would have been more balanced. As host I should have taken the responsibility for taking on the players for going into the stands."

Funny, I don't remember our player's being given the luxury of backtracking their actions after the fact. ESPN reacted in the moment, just like everybody in the Palace did.

And I'll believe Dumars over some head-mediot any day. Shapiro got called on the carpet by his majesty.

Anthem
05-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Man, I'd forgotten about that. That article makes me very very very very angry.

ImCrazyB
05-12-2005, 06:26 AM
No, he cannot.

I was being sarcastic.

able
05-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Revisionist history has long since taken over, not only at espn on behalf of the commish, but everywhere including this board.

Reason has forgotten what happened, and has forgotten what caused it.

To help the gentlemen of espn who DID have time to "go over" the tapes, when they came back an hour after the show with their "halftime show".

espn (http://www.pacersdigest.com/espnhalftimefight.wmv)

For those unwilling to watch:

"I called Piston fanks punks and after reviewing all the images; i STILL think they are a bunch of punks!"

It was not until the next day, after interference from "above" that they started to blame Ron and the Pacers, as of that moment the entire output from the "press" mainly through ESPN nad NBA TV feeed was shown what Ron did, told that Ron was crazy and so on.
Obviously, seeing even the comments on this board, it worked to a near perfection.

The way Mark Montieth at times hinted at his disgust with all that made it clear to me that there are/were standing orders from the league under threat of (f.i. revoking accreditation) to NOT "report" it any other way.

And yes, revocation of accreditation is one sure way the NBA has power over the press.
It can not stop the written word, but it sure as hell can make it hard(er) to get there.

cramerica
05-12-2005, 08:06 AM
That clip is unbelievable. I remembered how they were all siding with Artest and the Pacers and the next few days the views started going against us. At one point, Stephen A said, "We all know Wallace is going to get suspended and we all know Ron Artest and Jackson are going to get suspended, but the question is...are those suspensions justified".

Also weird to hear Jim Grey gettin all choked up.