PDA

View Full Version : Rick finishes 2nd in COTY voting

skyfire
05-11-2005, 01:23 AM
click me (http://www.nba.com/news/dantoni_050510.html)

Phoenix Suns Coach Mike D’Antoni has been named the winner of the Red Auerbach Trophy as the NBA Coach of the Year for the 2004-05 season, the NBA announced today.

D’Antoni, who is in his first full season as the Suns’ head coach, received 326 points, including 41 first-place votes, from a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Coaches were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote received. Indiana’s Rick Carlisle was second with 241 points (26 first-place votes) and Seattle’s Nate McMillan was a close third with 234 points (30 first-place votes).

I guess it wasn't that close in the end, but I dont think any other coach could have handled this tumultuous season as well as Rick did. Congrats to Mike D'Antoni for the win.

Arcadian
05-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Skiles got robbed.

Kstat
05-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Carlisle would have been my first choice, D'Antoni 2nd. But I can't argue what happened.

McMillan's chances died with the last 2 months his team played.

unstandable
05-11-2005, 01:40 AM
I think McMillan should have won. It's not his fault half his team got hurt, and they still managed to win their division.

There were lots of very deserving candidates this year though.

skyfire
05-11-2005, 01:44 AM
yea I would have put Skiles ahead of McMillan.
Getting a team with that many young players into the playoffs was a feat. Doing it from a 0-9 start is very impressive.

Lots of worthy candidates this season. Hard to argue with the best record in the NBA and such an immense turnaround for the Suns tho.

pb777
05-11-2005, 02:17 AM
IMHO, Rick deserved it more. Yeah sure, Mike D’Antoni won 62 games but he did it with 3 all stars - one of which was named the league mvp. Not to be funny, but what top 10 coach could not get 62 wins with that group of players?

I think Rick deserved it more b/c he had enormous obsticles, adversities, and general :bs: in his way. Suspensions, Injuries, more injuries, frustration, it was bad. For a great deal of the season his top 3 players were out. But Rick kept his cool and focus, made A LOT of adjustments, and here we are in Round 2 of the playoffs. Hat's off the Rick and his staff, if had a vote it would have went to you!

btw - Could D'antoni get 44 wins if Amare is out 73 games, Marion out 25 games, Nash out 30+ games and Richardson out another 30+games?

doubt it

RC did it and got his team to the second round thus far

Mr. Pink
05-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Even though D'antoni won, I think by Rick getting 2nd place shows that everyone knew what he had to go through. Rick earned a lot of respect this season as a coach.

Indyfan
05-11-2005, 05:48 PM
It is amazing that Rick has finished top 3 or 4 and has won the award once in his first 4 years as a head coach. He is always in the running which is a tribute since not many coaches continue to succeed at this level in ways that call for recognition. This year is definitely his best coaching so far, and I'm sure he has learned a lot and grown a lot as a coach this year. I Hope he's here for a few more years.

heywoode
05-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Lots of worthy candidates this season. Hard to argue with the best record in the NBA and such an immense turnaround for the Suns tho.

I agree.

Does anybody think that the reason Rick DIDN'T win was because of the brawl and suspensions? I don't think it directly related, but I can't get it out of my head that it weighed on some voting minds that we shouldn't win any awards this year.....

That is also one of the reasons why I want the title so bad this year.....Nobody could "not vote" for us with that award....That is ours to win or lose....