PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle interview on WDFN Detroit radio today....

Kstat
05-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Rick said that while he'd like to pay more attention to ben and rip, if he decides to trap one, he has to choose to leave Billups, Rasheed or Prince open, and he can't do that. He said he would explore other matchups on Ben, which I took to mean that Dale Davis might sit down.

Rick made the point that there is no tempo advantage the pacers have over the pistons. He said slowing the tempo or speeding it up isn't going to make a difference, because the Pistons can play the game either way.

He also said that he was hoping the layoff would work in Indiana's favor, because the pistons might be rusty, and the Pacers had momentum.

Rick also said that he and Ben got along well, contrary to reports. He said he's always appreciated how ben and the rest of the pistons treated him. but Larry Brown has done a good job of incorporating Ben in an offense where teams can't pay attention to him. He said Ben should have been top-3 in MVP voting. He has great respect for a guy that can take over a game through sheer willpower.

He again said that he thanks Joe Dumars for giving him his shot as an NBA head coach.

In commenting on Rasheed's title belt, he said that he doesnt know where it came from, but he looks impressive with it on. He said he loves rasheed as a player, and he's happy rasheed had the chance to come to a place where he could be recognized for the team player that he is.

In mentioning Reggie, he said he doesnt mind reggie is hated in most arenas, and he said he thinks reggie wants it that way. He said most stars dont defer to young guys like reggie does, and its unfortunate the rest of the world doesnt know him better. He likened him to to Dumars as a guy that relishes his privacy.

He said Jermaine had a great start last night, but he was forced to play Jermaine too much, and Jermaine got worn down by the Wallaces and Dice. He said he has to find a place in the game to get Jermaine rest.

He also made mention of the fact Stephen Jackson is a better guy than he gets credit for, and that he signs autographs for Piston fans.

indygeezer
05-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Sucking up...no lockerroom material.

Keep everything PC.

I'm sure though that he meant most of it.

For now.

Graywolf_59
05-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Keep everything PC.= Pacer Correct:)

WEST
05-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Sucking up...no lockerroom material.

Keep everything PC.

I'm sure though that he meant most of it.

For now.

I agree that he may have been sucking up a little. I don't know how a guy could have that much respect for a organization that fired him after 100 wins in two seasons. But RC is a classy guy and I wouldn't expect anything else from him.

unstandable
05-10-2005, 05:15 PM
There clearly was a lot more going on regarding Rick leaving the Pistons. The firing was a joint press conference with him and Dumars at which both guys were smiling the whole time. My guess is that Carlisle, who had one year left on his deal, didn't want to stay in Detroit long-term and wanted to come back to Indy. Dumars didn't want a lame duck coach, and when Larry Brown became available, things fell into place.

shags
05-10-2005, 05:58 PM
There clearly was a lot more going on regarding Rick leaving the Pistons. The firing was a joint press conference with him and Dumars at which both guys were smiling the whole time. My guess is that Carlisle, who had one year left on his deal, didn't want to stay in Detroit long-term and wanted to come back to Indy. Dumars didn't want a lame duck coach, and when Larry Brown became available, things fell into place.

I think it had more to do with owner Bill Davidson not giving the okay to give an extension to Carlisle, along with the things you just mentioned. I think Carlisle said he was willing to stay as a lame-duck coach, but Brown's availability changed that.