PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kerr sucks as a commentator

brichard
05-09-2005, 11:30 PM
I just didn't like anything he said tonight.

JO gets a wide open look, which he misses, and all we hear about are the quick Detroit big men wearing on him. It is apparent to me that Kerr has not been watching the Pacers scores lately. The reason JO missed is because this team is streakier than a 2 year olds underwear.

And then for him to say the Pistons were innocent of calls and the Pacers got the "Reggie tour" calls sent me to an unhappy place. Here Austin is playing up and down vertical defense, Kerr agrees with the call. JO gets mugged by Rasheed and it's "good defense by Sheed."

Steve Kerr = Bill Walton

shags
05-09-2005, 11:34 PM
I couldn't believe him and Marv completely missed the clock debacle at the end of the half. First, it stops at 8.7 seconds with 5 on the shot clock, and O'Neal takes about 7 seconds to finally score. Nothing. Then Rip gets fouled at the end of the half, and they somehow put 1.2 seconds back on the clock. Nothing. O'Neal gets a foul, and the clock stops when Lindsay Hunter tries to shoot. Finally they figure it out. Ridiculous.

pacerwaala
05-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Marv and Kerr blew the clock malfunction call but I do like Steve Kerr. He is a breath of fresh air, making fun of himself at sometimes. He and Marv do have some chemistry which makes the broadcast entertaining.

Mr. Pink
05-09-2005, 11:38 PM
He's better than Fred Carter...

wooo....that's all there is to say...wooo

Unclebuck
05-09-2005, 11:39 PM
I thought Steve was making fun of Doc's comments about Reggie getting "Reggie Tour callks" I think you misinterpreted what he was saying

Hicks
05-09-2005, 11:42 PM
I thought Steve was making fun of Doc's comments about Reggie getting "Reggie Tour callks" I think you misinterpreted what he was saying

Buck is right. Kerr even mentioned it being a tongue-in-cheek comment moments later.

brichard
05-09-2005, 11:42 PM

He was making fun of it, but at the same time he thought it was a bad call. I just don't feel like he prepared for the game well. Here is my Steve Kerr impression:

Marv: What do you think is the difference in the game.

Steve: The speed of the big men for Detroit.

Marv: What do you think the weather will be like tomorrow?

Steve: Well, the Detroit big men are pretty fast.

Marv: Do you like a good steak?

Steve: Well, I think you have to attribute that to the wearing down of the Pacer bigs by the speed of the Detroit front line.

AHHHHH! :banghead:

Unclebuck
05-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Well the speed of the Pistons big men is a major factor. No team in the league has big guys anywhere close to the size and speed of the Pistons

brichard
05-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Well the speed of the Pistons big men is a major factor. No team in the league has big guys anywhere close to the size and speed of the Pistons

So you think it is good commentating to repeat the same sentence throughout the course of a game?

Interesting.

sweabs
05-10-2005, 12:10 AM
I don't mind Kerr. He really only gets on my nerves with his constant references to the Spurs' greatness. Other than that, he doesn't really say anything to put me over the top...but that's just it; he doesn't really offer any crazy/new opinions.

At least I don't have to put him on mute. There are only 3 people that I insist on muting when commentating a game:

1) Fred Carter
2) Jack Ramsay
3) Bill Walton

8.9_seconds
05-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Did you get the feeling that Marv that Steve was a big idiot? I mean I'm not sure how I feel about Marv albert either but he just kinda shrugs everything that Kerr says off, I think that it's hilarious.

My favorite commentary comes from Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith. I mean how could you not love Charles Barkley?? He is the biggest unapologetic smartass I've ever heard and he always has been, but at least he knows what he's talking about. He and Kenny play well off of eachother.

pb777
05-10-2005, 12:19 AM
At least Kerr doesnt grate your nerves and make your skin crawl by saying "the world champs" every 5 seconds (BW)

Unclebuck
05-10-2005, 12:28 AM
So you think it is good commentating to repeat the same sentence throughout the course of a game?

Interesting.

No I don't, I said earlier today that Kerr is Mr. Obvious.

My comment about the Pistons speed was about their speed, not Kerr's comments

Bball
05-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Did you get the feeling that Marv that Steve was a big idiot? I mean I'm not sure how I feel about Marv albert either but he just kinda shrugs everything that Kerr says off, I think that it's hilarious.

That's just Marv's 'schtick'. I doubt he thinks Steve is an idiot. And considering the skeletons in Marv's closet I don't know how he could think anyone is an idiot.

-Bball

SycamoreKen
05-10-2005, 05:38 AM
That's just Marv's 'schtick'. I doubt he thinks Steve is an idiot. And considering the skeletons in Marv's closet I don't know how he could think anyone is an idiot.

-Bball

He does that with everyone he works with. They make a good team.

ebroemel
05-10-2005, 07:04 AM
I have given up on all national broadcasts. It is all just fluff or 'schtick' as was previously mentioned.
Mark and Slick get me through the game even when the pacers are playing poorly.

Call me crazy, but I like commentators that talk about the action on the floor as if you don't have video. That keeps them actually talking about basketball - pick and roll, pressure defense, substitutions, matchups, etc

3ptmiller
05-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Sassan said to me that Stern told the announcers to be supportive of the Reffs and Pistons... if its true then god i hate this league, somebody should assassinate him!

grace
05-10-2005, 10:47 AM

Interesting.

Good, bad, or indifferent they all do it. I don't ever remember thinking Kerr is that bad as a commentator. Rex Chapman on the other hand...I couldn't change the channel quick enough.

There is no way in he!! that Kerr is as bad as Bill Walton.

Diamond Dave
05-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Sassan said to me that Stern told the announcers to be supportive of the Reffs and Pistons... if its true then god i hate this league, somebody should assassinate him!

What did he do, tap the phone line from Phoenix to Detroit? :rolleyes:

That being said this league does suck. The inconsistency from the officials from game to game, quarter to quarter, play to play is just unreal. There is no way the players can know how to play because each game is reffed differently.

The worst non-call last night was when Rip did this wicked cross-over on AJ. The crowd cheered as Rip drove up the lane. When they showed the replay Rip did that entirely with one hand and demonstrated a text book example of carrying the ball. It was so blatant, he basically cupped the ball and curled it around in front of him.

abington
05-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Kerr was excellent in game 7. He made me feel so much better about Jackson (I played with him, he's crazy but he is not afraid to MAKE a big shot) after Kerr talked about their days in San Antonio. Marv is the best there ever was. Marv's call of the Roy Jones mugging in Seoul in 1988 "THERE YOU HAVE IT!!!?!!!" was maybe the best line by a broadcaster ever.

Bill Walton talks endlessly because he has nothing to say. While the delivery of John Thompson, Fred Carter and Rex Chapman isn't great, if you get through that, they do in fact know basketball and are usually (especially Thompson) pretty insightful.

Dr. Jack may have known tons at some point, but he has obviously lost way too much speed off the fastball. "Yes JD, good point JD, the SHAQMAN JD."

I missed Clark not being at the game last night. I couldn't have heard him as I live in Wisconsin, but it's always reasuring to see him and Al and Mark and Slick courtside. I've often thought that if Clark were to ever give up broadcasting (not gonna happen with that phatty CBS Final Four contract) he would make an excellent NBA coach.

brichard
05-10-2005, 09:40 PM
No I don't, I said earlier today that Kerr is Mr. Obvious.

My comment about the Pistons speed was about their speed, not Kerr's comments

Yes, but this thread is not dedicated to the speed of the Pistons, but rather to the poor commentating abilities of Kerr. :) Although I to agree with the assesment it was painful that he couldn't come up with anything more. I appreciate the thoroughness of a guy like Clark Kellog even more each time I hear him.

Bball
05-10-2005, 09:43 PM
I wonder how many of us would 'like' Kellog doing the game if he was working the national broadcast and not the local broadcast?

-Bball

SoupIsGood
05-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I hate Kerr telling us "well this is how the Spurs would do it"...

Why does he support them so much anyway? Didn't he win a boatload of championships at Chicago?

brichard
05-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I wonder how many of us would 'like' Kellog doing the game if he was working the national broadcast and not the local broadcast?

-Bball

I've seen him do college games and I think he is great. It should also be noted that he is absolutely not a Homer. I think he is as objective an analyst as I have seen for any team. That is what I really like about him. He gives you a pretty unbiased view and the guy works at his craft.

Isaac
05-10-2005, 10:51 PM
I like Steve. Just because he isnt 100% pro-pacers, I like him. He is a good humble guy.

Dr Huxtable
05-10-2005, 10:52 PM
I love him. He's my favorite that TNT has an analyst guy, aside from Kenny, Chuck and Magic in the studio of course.

I don't mind Doug Collins too much, or John Thompson, but Rex Chapman has go to go.

I just like Steve Kerr's personality the best, and he's not as dumb as you guys think. Just because he doesn't praise the Pacers all the time doesn't mean he's a bad commentator.

brichard
05-10-2005, 11:04 PM
I love him. He's my favorite that TNT has an analyst guy, aside from Kenny, Chuck and Magic in the studio of course.

I don't mind Doug Collins too much, or John Thompson, but Rex Chapman has go to go.

I just like Steve Kerr's personality the best, and he's not as dumb as you guys think. Just because he doesn't praise the Pacers all the time doesn't mean he's a bad commentator.

Just so you know, I have never thought or insinuated that it takes a Pro-Pacer person to be a good commentator. I'm sure everybody has some different measuring sticks, but here are a few important to me:

1. Has he researched the teams? There is nothing I hate worse than a commenator who knows nothing more than the visitors guide on a team. I like the guys who get to practice early, talk with the players/coaches, and stay abreast of everything. I'm not a big believer Kerr has done a good job of that in this series.

2. Don't be Pro- one team or the other. I don't like Homer commentaters. Alberts gets annoying and he is supporting my team! Kerr was so Pro-Pistons and Spurs last night it was nauseating. I expect him to be honest, even if he expects a 4 game sweep, but realize that nobody wants to hear Pro-Propaganda all night long. It is like Vitale supporting "The General" or "Coach K" It just gets old quick.

3. Be funny. I think any great communicator has a good sense of humor.

4. Be original. Get out of the box and tell us what you see. UB compared him to Master of the Obvious, and that is nothing to be proud of. Have an original thought now and then.

There are other things, but this is just a start. I know that Steve understands the game. I also think Steve Kerr the player is awesome. He just has a long way to go to be strong in the booth.

MagicRat
05-11-2005, 12:18 AM
I'm a pretty loyal "Turn down the tv sound, turn on Mark and Slick" guy, so I can't really comment on Steve Kerr........